PDA

View Full Version : ever played against anyone who turned out to be famous?

mrjohansson
07-08-2007, 08:11 AM
take a trip down memory lane.

PeakXV
07-08-2007, 08:16 AM
sort of ....... doubles against Kenny Rogers but he already was a famous singer by then ..... the juries still out on his tennis career possibilities.

Jules
07-08-2007, 10:31 AM
I once warmed up with german pro Mischa Zverev in a juniors eta under 16 tournament in Denmark.
As a junior I beat the current danish davis cup/futures/challenger player Martin Pedersen. Have played against another danish davis cup player as well, Jacob Melskens.
A couple of times a year former polish top junior Filip Aniola (now in his mid 20's) comes to my club and trains and plays with us. He has beaten both Federer and Safin on the ITF junior tour. My coach is polish and former national coach of the olish juniors...that's why.
When I was like 14 I was in the same ETA tournament as Andy Murray. He was seeded 1# ad won the tourny, I lost in the qualification or first round (don't remember).
That's what I remember at the present:)

Oh, by the way, my father beat danish pro Kenneth Carlsen when he was around 12 years old, and my father was in his early/mid 30's, LOL;)

tennisnj
07-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Yes, Justin Gimelstob while we were both in high school in New Jersey. It wasn't pretty on my end, but at that point in his tennis career, he was a 'man' playing amongst 'boys'.

rommil
07-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes, Justin Gimelstob while we were both in high school in New Jersey. It wasn't pretty on my end, but at that point in his tennis career, he was a 'man' playing amongst 'boys'.

Did he dive a lot in the hard courts in Jersey too?

LordRaceR
07-08-2007, 12:59 PM
ljubicic in juniors

Mikael
07-08-2007, 01:16 PM
I once warmed up with german pro Mischa Zverev in a juniors eta under 16 tournament in Denmark.
As a junior I beat the current danish davis cup/futures/challenger player Martin Pedersen. Have played against another danish davis cup player as well, Jacob Melskens.
A couple of times a year former polish top junior Filip Aniola (now in his mid 20's) comes to my club and trains and plays with us. He has beaten both Federer and Safin on the ITF junior tour. My coach is polish and former national coach of the olish juniors...that's why.
When I was like 14 I was in the same ETA tournament as Andy Murray. He was seeded 1# ad won the tourny, I lost in the qualification or first round (don't remember).
That's what I remember at the present:)

Oh, by the way, my father beat danish pro Kenneth Carlsen when he was around 12 years old, and my father was in his early/mid 30's, LOL;)

That's a very impressive list of opponents you have!
What level do you play at? Futures?

Jules
07-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
That's what I remember at the present

Oh, by the way, my father beat danish pro Kenneth Carlsen when he was around 12 years old, and my father was in his early/mid 30's, LOL

That's a very impressive list of opponents you have!
What level do you play at? Futures?

Hmm....not exactly! My best ranking was nr. 6# in Denmark in juniors under 16, but around the time when I peaked as a junior I started in high school (which is not exactly good for your game in Denmark, because there is no focus really on competitive sport) and I also started to get a couple of pretty serious injuries I have struggled with over the years.

Adding to that I never really got a deciding break through in the juniors...had some ok results but I was no where near a real factor consistently at tournaments. I struggled (still do) a lot with my temper and never really found my "own" game or so to speak. I have however played against a number of players who have been playing some futures over the years and beaten some of them, but din't play myself...

Right now at 22 I'm fighting a severe finger injury that I have had for around 4 years, and it has really stagnated my game, so now I pretty much play only for fun and some low division matches that nobody really cares about;)

But I still love the game and find a lot of joy in it, although I am still screaming on court because I have a hard time accepting that Im not able to play the perfect tennis I want to pay so badly;)

tennisnj
07-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Did he dive a lot in the hard courts in Jersey too?

I honestly don't remember if he swan dived or not in our match, it was a quick defeat for me 16 or so years ago, but I do remember this---he was probably an even bigger tennis brat back then (if that's possible). He whined & complained the entire match & all the ensuing matches he won in that tournament.