PDA

View Full Version : After the final, I really think the prime Sampras could beat Federer

wan321
07-08-2007, 09:34 AM
The serve, volley, and forehand really make me miss Sampras

skip1969
07-08-2007, 09:39 AM
it's irrelevant. sampras is the past. federer is the present.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Your ********.I would like to see Pete play under this slow grass.Did u even watch the final?The bounces where very high.Also Roger likes playing guys with pace and big servers.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Hey skip, he forgot that the grass is so slow now.The way Nadal played today under these conditions, Pete would be in trouble.

Warriorroger
07-08-2007, 09:43 AM

Well, take a time capsule and go back and stay back. Sampras may still have the numbers, but Federer is the champion loved by not only the fans, but also his fellow players. In case you haven't noticed, today's players hit faster, therebye pass better, top that with a slower surface and it is very difficult to go to the net.

Federer is much more complete player and much more likeable person. I love him.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-08-2007, 09:55 AM

As much as I like Sampras, I don't think he would have much of a chance against Federer on this slower grass, Federer has more variety than Sampras and would make it really for difficult on Sampras serve, with his returns.

Federer struggled today against Nadals serve because of the action that Nadal gets with that lefty serve. Making prediction based on match/ups against other players is not a good move. How a player matches up against another player may not be relevant to other opponents.

Nadal/ Federer: Aggressive Baseline/ All-court game (Not that Nadal is a on surface wonder)

Sampras/ Federer: Serve and Volley/ read above :rolleyes

jkonecne
07-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I think Federer would much rather play Sampras than Nadal. He would have an easier time against Sampras. Even with the slower grass it wouldn't matter. Keep in mind they have played at Wimbledon when Federer wasn't as good as he is now and Federer won.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Thats what makes this run even more impressive, the fact that the grass is getting slower each minute.Roger excels on faster surfaces and he is pulling matches like these.I cant say how great Nadal played.He could have beaten anyone out there and he had his chances but Fed erased them with the serve.

fps
07-08-2007, 09:58 AM
oh my god i can't believe another of these has started.

irrelevant thread! irrelevant thread!

TheTruth
07-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Thats what makes this run even more impressive, the fact that the grass is getting slower each minute.Roger excels on faster surfaces and he is pulling matches like these.I cant say how great Nadal played.He could have beaten anyone out there and he had his chances but Fed erased them with the serve.

You don't think fatigue factored in? Playing all those consecutive days? Interesting!

Rybo
07-08-2007, 10:01 AM
Let it go and just enjoy what we have now.

Ripper
07-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Maybe, this year's Wimbledon grass is the most equalizing surface between Rafa and Roger.

ajaxman
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't think so, Fed is the best player on grass

pow
07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Today's game is way too fast for serve and volley to be depended on. Passing shots are struck harder and faster than ever. Even though Roddick is not much of a volleyer, but he did not even get his hands on many balls when he tried to take Gasquet's ball early and approach the net. Pete was good at his time, but that's just not suited for today's conditions... and now that the grass is even slower. Don't even think about it.

BigServer1
07-08-2007, 10:30 AM
You don't think fatigue factored in? Playing all those consecutive days? Interesting!

Nadal doesn't think fatigue played a factor. He knows he could have won this match but Roger raised his level at the most crucial times. You are so blinded by your hatred for Federer that you can't even realize a great performance from both players. I am sure that Nadal doesn't want people to think he only lost because of scheduling. This guy is the most fit on tour, and he can go forever. This is well known. But I'm sure you're right, it much have been a conspiracy. I find it funny that Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Agassi, Sampras, Laver and Dick Enberg (who has seen everyone play tennis) say he's going to go down as the best player ever, but you have such a hard time even giving him credit for this match. Making excuses for Nadal's loss only takes away from his incredible performance. It's too bad you can't see past that and appreciate a tremendous match.

helloworld
07-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Sampras would get passed by both Federer and Nadal all day long. Sorry, I like Sampras too, but his game is just not suited to the current condition.

West Coast Ace
07-08-2007, 10:37 AM
it's irrelevant. sampras is the past. federer is the present.Well said.

Hey skip, he forgot that the grass is so slow now.The way Nadal played today under these conditions, Pete would be in trouble.Very true. Sampras was very 'lucky' to play when he did - when conditions were ginned up and optimum for S&V; everywhere except on the clay.... he have trouble winning any Australian Open's on today's Rebound Ace - which was made fast to help Pat Rafter.

The serve, volley, and forehand really make me miss SamprasSniffing the jock straps of retired players can be hazardous to your health - I think the Surgeon General says it's almost as bad as smoking whacky weed.

Kim
07-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Yeah, if Sampras EVEN thinks of coming back to Wimby, he should really get a second, nah a third, nah a 10000000000000th opinion...He will NOT survive, that i'm sure off.

saram
07-08-2007, 11:04 AM

then go watch world team tennis....

CyBorg
07-08-2007, 12:11 PM
What you saw was not prime Federer. What you saw was Federer really struggling to find his game.

Now, this happened to Sampras quite a bit as well - at Wimbledon and other majors.

That being said, Sampras did not face anyone as good as Nadal in ANY of his majors finals. No one even closer. Not Agassi. Not Safin.

This is a special win for Federer, because Nadal is a special player.

CyBorg
07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
One more thing: Nadal's passing shots can't be volleyed with any consistent success. I don't care if you're Rod Laver.

The ball is juiced, of course, and this is contributing. Regardless, Nadal just mashes the ball.

War, Safin!
07-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Add top that, Sampras is 5x mentally stronger than Federer too.
Federer b!tches out every time he plays Nadal.

saram
07-08-2007, 12:16 PM
One more thing: Nadal's passing shots can't be volleyed with any consistent success. I don't care if you're Rod Laver.

The ball is juiced, of course, and this is contributing. Regardless, Nadal just mashes the ball.

yes, one forehand was clocked at 111mph...even Johnny Mac could not believe it....

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Nadal would pass Pete left and right.Pete really thinks that serve and volley would work today.Thats why i want him to come back, so he can retire once again.

War, Safin!
07-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Nadal would pass Pete left and right.Pete really thinks that serve and volley would work today.Thats why i want him to come back, so he can retire once again.
Yeah...on clay and Wimbledon.
But on anything else? You're obviously having a laugh.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Hey war, even in the U.S Open.Players just return better and the passing shot has been taught well.Havent u heard that line, a great baseliner can always beat a serve and volley player.

War, Safin!
07-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Hey War, even in the U.S Open.Players just return better and the passing shot has been taught well. Havent u heard that line, a great baseliner can always beat a serve and volley player.
They can when that serve-n-volleyer is either on-ther-slide or physically shot. ;)

laurie
07-08-2007, 12:38 PM
These debates will never end (for all time in fact!).

The only annoying thing is that these arguments are always based on assumptions, and everyone believes their opinion to be the factually correct one.

The only thing I will contribute is that Sampras won 7 major titles away from Wimbledon. The other thing I would say is that ironically, the court at the Australian Open in the 1990s was actually slower than it is today - that is ironic. Someone mentioned Rafter, he was never a factor at the Australian Open until 2001 (the last year of his career). Hewitt regularly asked for faster courts post 2000 to help him win. Sampras said in 1997 when he won that the balls were heavy (they use Slazenger balls there). 1997 was probably it's slowest year but it was real slow in 1995 as well. I would also say that watching the quarterfinal against Courier and the final against Agassi - the Tennis that year was much more common with today, because they had to hit the ball considerably harder to penetrate the defences, the baseline rallies were long and brutal and the matches were long as well.

Sampras modified his style of play to suit the Aussie Open back then and got to 3 finals and two semifinals. He played much more from the baseline on hardcourts. I think if Sampras was 25 years old tday, he would play more from the baseline on grass just like everyone else. does.

It's just a different period of time and that's it. It doesn't matter whether Sampras would do this and Federer would do that. It's two different situations and they are both legends. That's how life works. So it's getting to a stage where these opinions are not very interesting at all.

VictorS.
07-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Sampras fared pretty well against great baseliners on other surfaces (ie Agassi, Courier, Kafelnikov, etc).

If you want to say Federer is better, fine. But I think it's almost disrespectful to even suggest that Sampras wouldn't have a chance at wimbledon (even with the slower conditions). The guy played against so many better grass players than Federer ever had to(Ivanisevic, Rafter, Krajicek, Becker). If anything, Federer should be counting his lucky stars that he was born ten years later because I can guarentee you that if he'd been playing in Sampras' generation, he wouldn't have won five straight wimbledon titles.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 02:06 PM
Your nuts Victor S.Whose to say he couldnt have doned it in the 90s?Federer is a better returner on grass then Sampras ever was.I wish the grass was more thick for Roger.His game is built for this surface.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 02:07 PM
I cant give u Goran, he was a choker, i think he would fare with the guys u mentioned.

VictorS.
07-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Goran on grass >>> every player currently playing except Federer (on grass)

There's not ONE player right now that serves it like Goran. Maybe Joachkim Johannson or Karlovic. But those guys are more one-dimensional.

Edberg
Becker
Stich
Ivanisevic
Rafter
Sampras

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Federer loves big servers.There are alot of them now as well.Roger loves pace, i see no reason why he cant hang with Goran on grass, guys like Becker as well.We wont know because he wasnt playing the 90s but i am sure he would have won wimbledon titles against those guys.

VictorS.
07-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Federer is supreme. I think everyone agrees. You hear McEnroe, Becker, Lendl, etc. All these guys acknowledge Federer's greatness. I'm just saying that it would be much tougher for Federer if he were playing against the earlier generation of players under the faster grass conditions of those days.

Roddick's a big server but Ivanisevic, Edberg, & Sampras had much better serves...more variety, more difficult to read, etc.