PDA

View Full Version : Federer mentally tougher than everyone?

bank5
07-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I think he is. He never shows his nerves and can always elevate his game during the crucial points.

I give Nadal tons of credit for playing an amazing match, but watching Federer play the tie breakers and 5th set makes me feel that mentally he's a notch above everyone else.

Rybo
07-08-2007, 10:03 AM
I think in terms of mental strength, Nadal is at a level that even Federer cannot reach consistently. If you put Nadal's brain in Federer's body, that would certainly be something.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-08-2007, 10:05 AM
I think he is. He never shows his nerves and can always elevate his game during the crucial points.

I give Nadal tons of credit for playing an amazing match, but watching Federer play the tie breakers and 5th set makes me feel that mentally he's a notch above everyone else.

Rodger showed his nerves a little in the 4th set, but your right I have rarely seen him flustered or unnerved.

veritech
07-08-2007, 10:08 AM
i was amazed when he held at 15-40 on his serve twice in a row. that was clutch.

but he totally lost it in the 4th set.

jkonecne
07-08-2007, 10:09 AM
I think Federer definitely could have used Nadal's focus and determination a couple times in that match. Today was definitely a mental letdown for Federer.

Zaragoza
07-08-2007, 10:10 AM
I think in terms of mental strength, Nadal is at a level that even Federer cannot reach consistently. If you put Nadal's brain in Federer's body, that would certainly be something.

Agreed. I think the big points usually go to the better player on the surface.
Federer won most of the big points on grass thanks to his serve. Nadal won the big points on clay because he is more consistent from the baseline.

bank5
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Rodger showed his nerves a little in the 4th set, but your right I have rarely seen him flustered or unnerved.

Yeah, he was definitely flustered in the 4th set. Nadal had all of the momentum going into the 5th and for Federer to dominate in the final set made it even that more impressive.

Nadal also had Federer 15-40 twice in the final set. Breaking there would have been huge, but Federer calmly came back and held serve.

Shoalin
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
I think Nadal and Federer are about the same on mental toughness. But I think Federer was a bit tougher today.

Ripper
07-08-2007, 10:12 AM
"Federer mentally tougher than everyone?"

Hummm, I don't know. Today, eventhough he had that face, I could sense he was crapping in his pants. His playing sure reflected it a couple of times. But Nadal was the same. So...

ajaxman
07-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Federer is the best!!

Char
07-08-2007, 10:19 AM
I think Nadal is mentally the toughest. I thought that before the tournament, but his play through it really showed it. The effort with Soderling as well as down a couple sets and 0-2 yet winning in 5, not to mention his attitude of playing out every point with all the effort he can. Roger doesnt play enough fifth sets and rarely gets truly tested. He was today and he lost it for a while, but Rafa just kept coming even when he got down in points. Hats off to both, but at least I would not say Roger is the mentally toughest player out there. Had Nadal broken Federer in the fifth forcing Roger to play from behind for once we might then have been able to see. Stretch I think to say Federer is mentally tougher than everyone out there.

pow
07-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I think today was one of those rare occasions when you see Federer start to unravel.

lecter255
07-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I think today was one of those rare occasions when you see Federer start to unravel.

naw 1st set in FO this year (when he had 16 break points) and Rome last year, i think, when he had match point and blew it with his forehand.

well, who doesn't get nervous? even nadal can't play perfectly. no body can. people aren't computers, and that's wut makes life interesting :D

man imagine if federer really unraveled and messed up the overhead at match point today... that would suck