PDA

View Full Version : Fed is the first one to admit...

bluedevil
07-08-2007, 10:08 AM
That he was lucky to win and that Rafa deserved it today - no need for any trash talk - unless you are Rafa fan and its eating you to hear such honesty and class from Roger!

D-Bomb
07-08-2007, 10:10 AM
nuh uh. Federer was just being modest and making sure he doesn't say anything dumb; he played a damn solid fifth set.

helloworld
07-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Nadal outplayed Federer in most points but he ended up losing somehow. Both players were playing out of this world though.

Ripper
07-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Nice use of words. What he said was that Rafa deserved it, TOO.

93sq.
07-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Nadal was outplayed by MIsha and by djokovic...but he played the final somehow...

bluedevil
07-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Nice use of words. What he said was that Rafa deserved it, TOO.

"I am lucky to win" doesnt sound too ambiguous in my English?

epicsocks
07-08-2007, 10:17 AM
I love how you are all throwing around this "outplayed" word.

Boohoo.

helloworld
07-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Nadal was outplayed by MIsha and by djokovic...but he played the final somehow...

Djokovic outplayed Nadal ??? Are you out of your mind ??? Nadal played a horrible first set, but that's about it. There's no outplaying or anything at all in that match. As for Youzhny, you gotta give it to Nadal. He came back from 2 sets down and completely outplayed Youzhny. I saw that match and was shocked at the level of tennis Nadal is actually capable of.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 10:21 AM
The way the grass was playing, i thought Nadal was gonna pull it out.Nadal will win wimbledon within the next 4 years.The all england club should relocate to paris.

Char
07-08-2007, 10:23 AM
They played as equals and it showed in their post-game comments. Was an honor to watch that match.

93sq.
07-08-2007, 10:23 AM
I agree with ace of hearts...!

Helloworld in my opinion if misha didn't injury his back he would win in 3 sets...

93sq.
07-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Oh...of course...Nadal will dominate both RG and Wimbledon...

helloworld
07-08-2007, 10:25 AM
I agree with ace of hearts...!

Helloworld in my opinion if misha didn't injury his back he would win in 3 sets...

Oh, yeah and he could probably take Federer in straight sets as well. Hahaha. Thanks for the laugh.

bluedevil
07-08-2007, 10:26 AM
The way the grass was playing, i thought Nadal was gonna pull it out.Nadal will win wimbledon within the next 4 years.The all england club should relocate to paris.

Maybe thats why LTA called France a model country for Tennis? ;-) The way the ball was sitting up on grass was unimaginable for me.

Ripper
07-08-2007, 10:26 AM

He was just being humble, bluedevil... Plus, you can't win Wimbledon without luck. I can tell you Rafa had a lot of good luck, but, maybe, Roger had more. So what?

West Coast Ace
07-08-2007, 10:28 AM
I love how you are all throwing around this "outplayed" word.

Boohoo.Welcome to the board. Don't let the sour grapes of the Sampras jock sniffers get to you - they're just grumpy their guy's records are being eclipsed...

Fed was showing class - they choose to over-analyse his words to suit their needs...

The way the grass was playing, i thought Nadal was gonna pull it out.Nadal will win wimbledon within the next 4 years.The all england club should relocate to paris.I wonder if they'll start cutting the grass a little shorter, rolling it a little more, and maybe getting some lighter balls.

JLyon
07-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Federer was being very humble, thought i heard hime graciously say that Nadal will be around for a long time, so I need to win them now. Something of that sort, was hard to hear while eating lunch at the restaurant. either way it was one hell of a Sunday morning Match.

lecter255
07-08-2007, 10:29 AM
that was a crazy match. things got really dangerous for roger in the fifth. i mean, down 15-40 twice??? well, a great champ can serve himself out of trouble, and he did just that. i hate to admit it, but nadal coulda won it today. it was really close. if his serve was better/more powerful that woulda probably won him the title. federer step around his backhand and launched two crazy forehand returns in the fifth. if nadal has a better 2nd serve that probably wouldn't have happened.

before this wimbledon i had my doubts about nadal, but there are no more doubts. lets see how he does in US Open, which has probably the fastest surface now. how did they make the grass at wimbledon slower?? and why???

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 10:32 AM
Maybe they want to slow the U.S Open for Nadal as well?

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 10:33 AM
I dont have doubts anymore because like Mac said, the conditions are favoring Nadal now.Thats why i say he has a chance to win wimbledon.

pow
nuh uh. Federer was just being modest and making sure he doesn't say anything dumb; he played a damn solid fifth set.

I agree, both players played great, Nadal had a solid 4th set and Federer had a solid 5th set. The tiebreaks really made the difference.

Ripper
Federer was being very humble, thought i heard hime graciously say that Nadal will be around for a long time, so I need to win them now.

He's done the math and knows Rafa has an as good (or better) chance than him to threaten Sampras' record, once he's retired. At least, potentially... However, what he meant there was that, while he's active, he's getting them! So, that part wasn't very humble, if you understand it the way I did ;)

Phil
07-08-2007, 10:34 AM

Gimmie a break. He's won 5 Wimbledon titles; he can AFFORD to say things like that. He wasn't lucky. He's been there and done that. Champions figure out ways to win-they produce their own brand of "luck".

lecter255
what made it even scarier was last night i dreamed that roger lost the match, 4 set affair. i woke up just in time to see the start of fifth set. imagine my shock when he was down 15-40 twice! lol

93sq.
Oh, yeah and he could probably take Federer in straight sets as well. Hahaha. Thanks for the laugh.

What's wrong with you!?Is Rafa your boyfriend!?
I wrote my opinion...Misha was playing an amazing tennis,surely better than rafa's...

93sq.
07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
If you win once you're maybe lucky...
If you win ELEVEN TIMES...you don't deserve lucky...

lecter255
07-08-2007, 10:36 AM
I dont have doubts anymore because like Mac said, the conditions are favoring Nadal now.Thats why i say he has a chance to win wimbledon.

that just makes federer winning it so much more special! :D and i saw no serve and volley whatsoever in the fifth set. kinda sad. and in 4th set nadal had got more net points than federer wtf?? how did that happen?

Big Fed
07-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow lol, Nadal lost and Rafa fans are still tryin to make themself not look like idoits for thinking he could stomp fed on grass.........

alkibiades
07-08-2007, 10:38 AM
I am a huge Federer fan and I desperately wanted him to win. He WAS lucky to win -- very lucky. Nadal could easily have won in straight sets. Federer's serve bailed him out, plain and simple. If Fed had served that way at the French he would have had a very good chance there. This is not to take credit away from Roger, he played well -- except for the fourth set, obviously. But Nadal was dictating play on four out of five points once either player's return was in play. His court coverage and passing shots were simply surreal (really, hitting a winner from the baseline while sitting on your bottom? come on!). His volleying was superb, especially the touch volleys -- where did those come from? Nadal's level dropped a little bit in the fifth, whether because of fatigue from the last few days, the knee, or both. If Nadal beefs up his serve a little more, he is going to be unbeatable on any surface (at least, any that they play on these days).

helloworld
07-08-2007, 10:39 AM
I wrote my opinion...Misha was playing an amazing tennis,surely better than rafa's...
He played amazing tennis, that's for sure. But he didn't lose the match because he's injured. He lost the match because he couldn't handle Nadal the last 3 sets. As simple as that.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 10:42 AM
He will play great here cause of the conditions, dont u get it?I thought Roger played well in the first set and the 3rd set, serving wise.I dont know what the **** happened to him in the 4th set.His serve was the key and his mental strenght to hang on.

I keep saying it, Nadal might even win wimbledon next year if it keeps staying slow.

robin7
07-08-2007, 10:47 AM
that was a crazy match. things got really dangerous for roger in the fifth. i mean, down 15-40 twice??? well, a great champ can serve himself out of trouble, and he did just that. i hate to admit it, but nadal coulda won it today. it was really close. if his serve was better/more powerful that woulda probably won him the title. federer step around his backhand and launched two crazy forehand returns in the fifth. if nadal has a better 2nd serve that probably wouldn't have happened.

before this wimbledon i had my doubts about nadal, but there are no more doubts. lets see how he does in US Open, which has probably the fastest surface now. how did they make the grass at wimbledon slower?? and why???

Nadal could have won it if he broke one of the breaks in the 5th set at 1-1 40-15 & 2-2 40-15 but Federer's big serves came to the rescue on each occasion.

Nadal improves a lot in front of the net but needs to work on his serves.

I tought Nadal could win this time after winning the French but Federer was just a little lucky.

Nadal will win next year.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 10:50 AM
One thing people keep forgetting here, Nadal played the match of his life.If they play again next year, he will have to do the same.I give him a chance if the conditions are the same.

lecter255
07-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Nadal will win next year.

i wouldn't say that. at most, 49/51 federer is always more likely. if nadal improves his serve, then maybe federer would have a better day next year, or maybe they will make the grass faster again. it's really hard to call, but federer is more likely.

lecter255
07-08-2007, 10:59 AM
did anyone think for a sec, just a sec, that.. erm... federer purposely went down 15-40 twice in the fifth, then to hold to crack nadal mentally then run with it? like he planned that?? i know i sound ridiculous but did that thought go through any minds?

helloworld
07-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Lecter255, you sound like an insecured Federer fan. Calm down, your man wins it this year and that's all that matter for now.

lecter255
07-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Lecter255, you sound like an insecured Federer fan. Calm down, your man wins it this year and that's all that matter for now.

lol thx. yea i am insecured. yea nadal really is closing the gap, i feel, plus the condition at wimbledon. anyone thinks nadal will make the US Open final? or semis?

princess bossass
07-08-2007, 11:07 AM
One thing people keep forgetting here, Nadal played the match of his life.If they play again next year, he will have to do the same.I give him a chance if the conditions are the same.

I agree. Slower court, higher bounce, Roger refusing to adjust his game to Nadal's... next year Nadal def. has a chance...IF, like you said, conditions are the same and nadal plays his very best tennis.

Seriously though, what we (fed fans) all have to acknowledge is that Fed is getting along in years by tennis standards, and whether it be next year, the year after that, or the year after that, Fed WILL lose, be it to Nadal, Djokovic (please!), or whichever one of these young guns steps up. Fed's realistic about it, as reflected in his post-match remarks about beating Nadal NOW while he still can :-)

janipyt05
07-08-2007, 11:08 AM
This just proves that Rafa at some point will win Wimbledon today proves to all the Fed haters that Rafa is a REAL threat on grass quicker than Fed expected, for all Fed effort on clay he still ain't close but looka here rafa twice in the final giving Fed a head ache. Those that can't admit ain't worth talking with.

Yo rafa did not play the match of his life he played aggressive because he knows that the way to play if he wants to beat Fed. There is no doubting Fed greatness but lets not make it out like Rafa does not perform like this on other surfaces or with other players. That's just the truth for the first time ever since Fed begun his white suit wearning bag carrying self his had to sweat and he stumble to the finish line, IF i mean if rafa converted on just one of his 4 break points it would have game nadal.

Now Fed did well imo when he had his break points he made it happen and that for me is a champion knowing and trusting that when you have that chance you don't let them pass you by. That was the difference, taking your chances.

fujitsu77
07-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Wow lol, Nadal lost and Rafa fans are still tryin to make themself not look like idoits for thinking he could stomp fed on grass.........

Wow, did you even watch the match?

Rafa could have beaten Fed, he had his chances (and I'm not trying to take anything away from Fed here, both men played a great match).

BigServer1
07-08-2007, 11:13 AM
lol thx. yea i am insecured. yea nadal really is closing the gap, i feel, plus the condition at wimbledon. anyone thinks nadal will make the US Open final? or semis?

I would love to see a Fed/Nadal US Open final. The level of tennis these two play is above anyone else on tour and that's what I want to see. Plus, a good rivalry is good for the sport. Last year when it was 6-1 Nadal it wasn't much to talk about. Now it's 8-5, Fed has won 4 of 6 and Nadal is really showing his abilities to play on fast courts. This is really exciting for the men's game.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Rafa will win wimbledon because the conditions are set up for him, thats not hard to figure out.Nadal likes high bounces while Fed doesnt like it.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Hey server, i have doubts with Nadal at the U.S Open unless they slow it down.Also there is no bounce.

ChiefAce
07-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't expect a slow hardcourt for the US Open. Most players were complaining that hardcourts were too slow and they sped them up at the SAP Open earlier this year. Also, I would think the USTA will ask Andy/James what kind of court speed they would like. I'm pretty sure they know a faster court will help Andy's chances. Good luck to Rafa on making the finals of the US Open, he hasn't proven himself on a court with a true bounce yet.

Purostaff
07-08-2007, 11:40 AM
The level of tennis they both played today was incredible. Unfortunately, there can only be one winner, but they both deserve nonetheless. I don't see why people can't see through the logic behind Fed's words.

omniexist
07-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't expect a slow hardcourt for the US Open. Most players were complaining that hardcourts were too slow and they sped them up at the SAP Open earlier this year. Also, I would think the USTA will ask Andy/James what kind of court speed they would like. I'm pretty sure they know a faster court will help Andy's chances. Good luck to Rafa on making the finals of the US Open, he hasn't proven himself on a court with a true bounce yet.

Agreed. I think HC will always be the hardest surface for Nadal.

emcee
07-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Fed was being humble. He simply found that "fifth gear" when he was in trouble and served bombs. You can call it luck, you can call it clutch, but still, that's an awful LOT of times for Fed to get merely lucky, don't you think?

Fed is better than Rafa on grass...but not by too much this match proved. In fact, I'd say Rafa might be the #2 player on grass and I think he'll be a real threat at the AO.

Fed might last a while longer than people think. Does he EVER get injured? Think about it. He probably has some insane training regimen that works for him, and I think it might help him last longer than most tennis players do.

I know it's hard to come to net against Nadal, but I think he should do it more against other players to hopefully prolong his career as long as possible.

fednad
07-08-2007, 11:48 AM
The all england club should relocate to paris.

Agree with you - this was like thin grass layer put on Roland Gaross.

laurie
07-08-2007, 12:03 PM
It was the best match I've seen them play against eachother. Nadal had his chances in the fifth set and the gap is getting closer on grass.

Has the grass and balls changed that much since 2003 when Federer and Phillipousis served and volleyed or has Federer just decided to change his style of play? (the way he always wanted to play).

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey laurie, grass is dead.Fed couldnt blast winners left and right in this match.The balls looked heavier, thats for sure.

BigServer1
07-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Hey server, i have doubts with Nadal at the U.S Open unless they slow it down.Also there is no bounce.

I dunno man, a lot of people doubted Nadal getting to a second Wimbledon final. He went through his personal murderers row and gave Federer everything and then some today. Nadal wants to win and is making huge strides (winning IW) on some hard courts as well. He was an on fire Youzny away from a Semi-Final last year against Roddick at the US Open. He might not win it for a while, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the final. He and Roger are light years ahead of everyone else.

veritech
07-08-2007, 12:11 PM
It was the best match I've seen them play against eachother. Nadal had his chances in the fifth set and the gap is getting closer on grass.

Has the grass and balls changed that match since 2003 when Federer and Phillipousis served and volleyed or has Federer just decided to change his style of play? (the way he always wanted to play).

nadal was able to play his clay court style of play and kept fed on the baseline.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey server, ur right but lets be honest here, the conditions clearly helped Nadal today.I was a Fed fan who thought it was over after the 4th set based on the conditions.

Mick
07-08-2007, 12:41 PM
nadal tried real hard but it's tough to play to the best of his ability seven straight days in a row. So, he should not feel too bad about this lost.

jaded
07-08-2007, 01:06 PM
Nadal is only going to get better on other surfaces, at least that's my opinion. He played great on grass today, and will be a Wimbledon champion soon enough. Assuming he stays healthy and continues to improve, next year could very well be his year at Wimbledon.

TheNatural
07-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I think Nadal probably would have preferred faster grass, because he had to win a lot of points 2 or 3 times, Fed was able to run down a lot of his drives into the corners. Anways. I don't think the fast courts bother Nadal as much as the hard surface, as he has a history of foot problems and the hard surfaces put a lot of strain on his feet.

EricW
07-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Djokovic outplayed Nadal ??? Are you out of your mind ??? Nadal played a horrible first set, but that's about it. There's no outplaying or anything at all in that match. As for Youzhny, you gotta give it to Nadal. He came back from 2 sets down and completely outplayed Youzhny. I saw that match and was shocked at the level of tennis Nadal is actually capable of.

Are you kidding? Youzhny pretty much broke his back in the middle of the match, which is when he got slaughtered

Pete Semper
07-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Feddy is too nice with Nadal...because he played much better on both tie breaks and 5th set.

zapvor
07-08-2007, 06:22 PM
Federer was being very humble, thought i heard hime graciously say that Nadal will be around for a long time, so I need to win them now. Something of that sort, was hard to hear while eating lunch at the restaurant. either way it was one hell of a Sunday morning Match.

yea he did say that.

tennis_hand
07-08-2007, 07:24 PM
A winner's words in front of the public.

Have you tried public speaking before? Don't boast and be humble. But in the heart you probably are saying " I beat the crap out of you. and I am happy I win. u top spin monkey helped by the surface." lol..

anchorsteamer
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
The match was on Nadal's racket in the fifth...great match...