PDA

View Full Version : Bulking up?

chris1992
07-08-2007, 11:56 AM
I have a slim build but desperately want to build myself up to make myself stronger around the court as well as keeping my stamina. I have obviously got a low body fat percentage and want to put on more muscle. Any tips/excercises/weight regimes???

dave333
07-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Hit the gym and do benchpresses, squats, deadlifts with weights or you could always go with pushups, chinups, jumping squats, staggars (jumping lunges). Then eat a lot of protein and take protein shakes like muscle milk or whey protein.

chess9
07-08-2007, 03:32 PM
How old are you? How many calories do you eat each day?
Do you have access to a gym with a trainer, or can you go to the gym with your father or older brother? If you are young and have never lifted before, I'd suggest you hook up with some guy who has been lifting for at least a few years so you can learn. Training today has become more sophisticated than ever. Oh, and there are tons of websites available online. Read, read, read. Then eat, eat, eat, eat, lift, eat, eat, rest, repeat.

chris1992
07-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Im nearly 16 and my dad has told me that i should eat alot more as well as excercising. I have access to a large set of weights at home and have a store to buy the protein shakes at home.

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 02:59 AM
does this acually make you put on muscle and not just fat?I read somewhere fed did this before the french open and that was why he looked fat against canas.

fuzz nation
07-09-2007, 05:04 AM
I've had lots of success with using a lifting routine that uses lower weights and higher reps. I get strength and stamina, but I also don't get any nasty strains or pulls from my workouts.

I use enough weight where I can go 20 reps, rest only for a brief 10 count, and then go another 20 or until I'm spent. That might mean I can only do 16 or maybe I have a few extra in the tank and can grind out 24 before I'm used up. The first set creates the fatigue in the muscle group and the second set works it further while its depleted. For me as a tennis player, this works great.

Make sure your routine is symmetrical - if you work your abs, for example, also work the opposing group in your lower back. Start slowly! You can't change your body too much in one day or even one month. After your first two weeks where your body is breaking down more than it's building up, take a light third week and stay off the routine to recover (if you don't, it's typical that you'll get sick in your third or fourth week). On your fourth week, your body is all ready to get back to it and make real progress.

Read up on nutrition, too. My knowledge on this is still lacking, but I try to avoid junk and stay hydrated, etc. Oh yeah, tennis players need strong core sections these days, so don't neglect that region while paying too much attention to your massive pec's.

dave333
07-09-2007, 05:52 AM
^^^^ For bulking up, its better to do 8-15 reps and in 2-4 sets. More with lower weight is going to make you lean and probably more tennis player looking though (unless you are going for a nadal build)

lawrence
07-09-2007, 06:13 AM
if you dont already, try protein shakes, and ask for the ones with more carbs etc.. well pretty much just ask for a bulking based one rather than a defining
and well take one after every workout

+ do leg exercises, because your upper body adjusts to your lower body, get huge legs and youll be able to work out the upper and see some good effects

btw chances are you might have a fast metabolism, so you might get to a certain point really fast (within a few weeks), but after that itll be so hard to gain any more :o

zapvor
07-09-2007, 07:46 PM
hmm...pretty good stuff in here. i work at a gym now, so i am going to try to come up with a rountine. how many times a week should i start with?

Purostaff
07-09-2007, 10:44 PM
My suggestion would be www.bodybuilding.com forum

Just read, read and read. This is about you and your body afterall. Good luck m8

fuzz nation
07-13-2007, 08:51 AM
I threw in my approach because, as a tennis player, I want strength and stamina without unnecessary "bulk". The pros I've seen up close, though, look like they're strong yet unrestricted (I'm 6'2", 180-185 lbs.).

Since I do a lot of stuff, I try to keep to a lifting schedule that I can live with - I lift one day and take two days off while still playing, cycling, etc. In the winter, I'll sometimes lift every other day, but not all the time. This is what I've found to work really well for me, but if you want a really intense schedule, you should probably go every other day or even consider doing "splits" where you lift every day and alternate the muscle groups that you work on.

dennis10is
07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
If you want to build up more good mass, do proper weight lifting.

That is pretty much, heavy weights, done perfectly, with lots and lots of days of rest in between AND you need to have the full range of motion and be sure that the opposing muscle groups are equally strong.

that way, you will have flexibility with the increase in strength.

Now, you are 16, so you will most like ignore all of this :)

You probably over work you biceps and ignore you triceps, etc... Or you will attempt to lift heavy with a restricted range of motion.

ruski07
07-20-2007, 05:35 AM
the best way 2 bulk up is obviously a boy builders diet and gym routine, you do chest and triceps one day...biceps and back then next...then legs and shoulders together, and also you want to be eating 6 meals a day, with meal one being 6 egg whites and 2 yokes omlette with oatmeal, then your next meal could be a bulk protein shake then third meal chicken breast with rice etc...this sort of diet and weight training will get fairly rapid results

anachronism
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I would watch how many grams of protein you are consuming per a day. If you are consistently working out, then it would be good to take 1 g. protein per lb. For example, if you weighed 140 lbs., then you would take 140 g of protein a day. There is no value in adding even more protein than that amount, since protein cannot be stored in the body and the excess is eliminated in urine and poop. So basically, don't get caught too much with taking more protein than you need.

Also, not all protein sources are equal...
Obviously, animal and vegetable foods are the two major protein sources. Animal protein foods include meat, poultry, fish, dairy products and eggs and are said to be of high biological value. This means that they contain all nine essential amino acids that can not be synthesized (therefore we need to consume them) in the body (histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan and valine).

Something to consider for vegetarians. Plant protein sources do not always offer all nine essential amino acids in a single given food. For example, legumes lack methionine, while grains lack lysine. What is needed are complementary proteins, various protein food sources that, eaten together, enable a person to meet the standards of a high biologic protein diet.

jaredknight
07-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Steroids It's The Miracle Drug:d

K-LEG
07-21-2007, 05:46 PM
To be honest I don't think it's going to happen. I'm 14 and some of my friends are just like you. They eat more then me, lift weights but there build is skinny yet muscular.

K-LEG
07-21-2007, 05:47 PM
I forgot, PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS TRUST ME THERE LIKE STEROIDS lol I don't use them but my friends do and some of them are big man.

xtremerunnerars
07-21-2007, 09:31 PM
I forgot, PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTS TRUST ME THERE LIKE STEROIDS lol I don't use them but my friends do and some of them are big man.

NOTHING is like steroids except for, well....steroids! Even creatine actually, the highest number of reported strength boost that I've seen is only 10%!

TW CSR
07-22-2007, 08:44 AM
If taking protein is like taking steroids then I guess eating chicken is like taking steroids too. Like pretty much everyone else has said just do your research and find a routine that works best for you. Find your maintenance amount of calories and then increase your calorie intake by about 300-500 calories for a bulk. I currently do a 4 day split, chest and tris, back and bis, shoulders, legs. Lower reps at higher weight is best for gaining muscle, lower weight at higher reps is better for definition. Bodybuilding.com is a great source of info and I post on the forums over there sometimes as well.

tbini87
07-22-2007, 08:54 AM
the nice thing about this "bulking up" is that it is for tennis, not football! i was in the same boat my frosh year of football, and i only put on 5 lbs over summer even with heavy lifting and protein shakes. then i realized, i am playing other freshman, and it is more important that my muscles are in shape and work well, not that they are large or look good! i would stick with light weights, lots of reps, plenty of different excercises (bench, military, squats could be staples) and use lots of dumbells. also do cardio regularyly, no need to be buff if you cant run the court from side to side without needing a breather!