PDA

View Full Version : stubborn roger!

theoratoruk
07-08-2007, 11:46 AM
I dont post that often but felt inclined to get some other opinions on todays final and in particular rodgers tactics, i can only sum them up as stubborn. how many short sliced backhands and short forehands was he going to do before he got the message,his approach shorts were woeful so when he came in behind them he got passed.his return of serve games were pathetic,he has become so negative.
roger is my favourite player but this was a little too close for me. where is the a,b and c game?.if his serve was off today he was gone.
He said himself he was lucky, i just dont get it ,mirka needs to sort this out.
loving the 5 in row though.

Kim
07-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Maybe he needs a GOOD coach after all??

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Yes but did u see the conditions?I really thought Nadal was gonna win this match, i am surprised that Roger pulled it out but again, thats what champions do.

ferocious4hand
07-08-2007, 11:51 AM
Roger got passed b/c Nadel is the best at passing ppl at net. Against all other players, Fed would win most approach shots.

Fed's backhand slices were short b/c of Nadal's forehand, its got so much action on it, it's very difficult for any1 to handle.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Fed only had 12, count them, only 12 forehand winners after 4 sets.Thats alot of bull.We know how lethal his forehand on grass is.This is ******** grass.

sureshs
07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Nadal had a couple of 5 setters too, which could have gone either way. In fact, he was pushed more than Federer, who just lost 1 set coming in.

Nadal is peaking physically, Federer is 5 years older. The decline has to set in sometime. As Fed said today, he better get as many Slams as he can before Nadal starts winning them all. An acknowledgment of a decline and weariness and a subtle hint at retirement, perhaps?

bdawg
07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I agree. Roger's approaches were terrible for the most part, but Rafa did make some amazing passing shots. he deserves a lot of credit. What surprised me was how tentative Roger was with his Forehand. He wasn't going for any depth, and was happy just keeping the ball in the court . Rafa was chewing those up. The only time he started to swing freely was in the middle of the fifth, where he broke Nadal twice times.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Suresh, quit trolling.Both guys played tremendous today,He is only 25 years old.

tlm
07-08-2007, 12:02 PM
It was an exciting match, but like i said yesterday fed would win because of his superior serve.

CyBorg
07-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Maybe he needs a GOOD coach after all??

Definitely. He's been spending too much time with himself. He was a borderline idiot today and almost lost.

Get Federer a coach, pronto.

janipyt05
07-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Fed played an awesome point to break that was a smart point, the slice down low which rafa got to but Fed was ready from the next shot on the line and it had some work on it so rafa was never gonna get there. NOw that was pure class

BigServer1
07-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Nadal had a couple of 5 setters too, which could have gone either way. In fact, he was pushed more than Federer, who just lost 1 set coming in.

Nadal is peaking physically, Federer is 5 years older. The decline has to set in sometime. As Fed said today, he better get as many Slams as he can before Nadal starts winning them all. An acknowledgment of a decline and weariness and a subtle hint at retirement, perhaps?

He just won. Save your BS for when he loses again. Then you can recommend new racquets and urge his retirement.

BounceHitBounceHit
07-08-2007, 12:46 PM
I dont post that often but felt inclined to get some other opinions on todays final and in particular rodgers tactics, i can only sum them up as stubborn. how many short sliced backhands and short forehands was he going to do before he got the message,his approach shorts were woeful so when he came in behind them he got passed.his return of serve games were pathetic,he has become so negative.
roger is my favourite player but this was a little too close for me. where is the a,b and c game?.if his serve was off today he was gone.
He said himself he was lucky, i just dont get it ,mirka needs to sort this out.
loving the 5 in row though.

Fed proved to me today that if the playing conditions are just a SMIDGEON faster than those at Roland Garros (aka Hamburg, WIMBY today!!) he can beat Rafa at his own (baseline grinding) game. ;) NOT that I think that he is wise to try. Or that I agree with his decision to approach the match that way. I don't, but I also don't presume to counsel FedEx when it comes to ANYTHING regarding tennis. It seems to me he has this tennis thing down pretty well.

However, before you Rafa fans get all bent out of shape, allow me to say I thought that HE played the SMARTER match tactically.

To move directly to the most salient point: Wimbledon officials have (IMHO)gone WAY too far to slow down the conditions. And this was a WET tournament, which is typically a faster tournament.

What is next, just tear up the grass and extend the clay court season to London?? ;)

CC

bluescreen
07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
he wasnt changing his tactics as quickly as i thought he would, particularly his forehand and returns in the ad court.

he eventually made adjustments though, especially in the fifth set, where he got way more aggressive from the back court.

and about the whole passing shot thing; u guys gotta remember who was on the other side of the court. nadal is one of the best if not the best passer in the game. did u see some of the sick passing shots he had on his backhand side? not to mention that pass sitting down. against any other player in the world he wouldnt have gotten passed half as much.

i think the match going to five sets was only partially due to fed's tactics and mostly nadals great play.

princess bossass
07-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I love Roger, but i was texting my tennis-watching pals back in Chicago throughout the match, and we just kept sending back and forth "FED NEEDS A COACH!" He does. I know, I know, winning formula and etc., but still. He is, as the OP bluntly puts it, stub-diddly-uborn.

rommil
07-08-2007, 01:36 PM
I love Roger, but i was texting my tennis-watching pals back in Chicago throughout the match, and we just kept sending back and forth "FED NEEDS A COACH!" He does. I know, I know, winning formula and etc., but still. He is, as the OP bluntly puts it, stub-diddly-uborn.

...and still won it.

saram
07-08-2007, 01:36 PM

when i saw him exchanging backhands with rafa's forehands over and over and not hitting anything down the line, i thought the same thing...i thought i was watching the FO all oer again...

princess bossass
07-08-2007, 01:54 PM
...and still won it.

True enough. ;) Still, I'd say his victory speaks more to his skill and talent than his stubborn streak. :-D

Michelangelo
07-08-2007, 01:55 PM
It would have been Nadal if he'd not got injured. Anyway, I believe he'll win the title next year. And based on their ages, I believe Federer'll be elimimated by Nadal within 4 years (although I'm a fan of Fed).

By the way, how come Spanish players are all that physically fit? Look at Moya, Nadal...

sureshs
07-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Nadal played 7 days in a row and had some very tough matches, including one that stretched across 3 days.

Fed had 5 days off in-between and a bye.

Remember how the fresh Federer bageled Rafa in Hamburg and everyone said that was going to happen in RG, while real players like Safin said it was just because Rafa was tired from playing too much. RG showed what the reality was.

If the weather had been better, and both players had played the regular schedule, we would be talking about a Nadal win in 4 sets here. Lucky Federer got a good break and a chance to equal Borg for 5 Wimbys and Laver for 11 Slams.

NamRanger
07-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Nadal played 7 days in a row and had some very tough matches, including one that stretched across 3 days.

Fed had 5 days off in-between and a bye.

Remember how the fresh Federer bageled Rafa in Hamburg and everyone said that was going to happen in RG, while real players like Safin said it was just because Rafa was tired from playing too much. RG showed what the reality was.

If the weather had been better, and both players had played the regular schedule, we would be talking about a Nadal win in 4 sets here. Lucky Federer got a good break and a chance to equal Borg for 5 Wimbys and Laver for 11 Slams.

Nadal has incredible stamina, I really don't think fitness was an issue in this match. He had his chances, he just didn't take them.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 02:57 PM
Your an idiot suresh.I think Nadal could have goned for weeks.He looked all refresh and did well.I was stunned at his stamina.The guy is in shape.

fps
07-08-2007, 03:03 PM
To my eyes Nadal's movement was impaired after he got the strapping on his knee

TennisandMusic
07-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Yeah I think that was obvious, but Nadal still could have won it. What exactly was that about?

poplar
07-08-2007, 03:42 PM

that wasn't an injury. that was a precaution.