PDA

View Full Version : When will Nadal reach his peak?

Zaragoza
07-08-2007, 03:49 PM
It is obvious his game has improved and he is a better player than last year: better serve, volley, backhand and more agressive style.
He proved many predictions wrong. He really increased his level since March: he won Indian Wells without dropping a set, only lost to a brilliant Djokovic in Miami, he looked even more dominant on clay than last year, and he really pushed Federer in the Wimbledon final who is possibly the best player ever on grass. So he has looked good on all the surfaces in the big events in the last months.
When some people said that he was still too young and he could improve his game they were not kidding, he improved since last year and I think he can still improve and he will be more confident on grass and hardcourts. He is not just a physical freak, his talent is really underrated.
The one-dimensional theories about his game are totally obsolete.
Let´s don´t forget that he is not under an average world no. 1, he is under Federer and that is the biggest challenge any world no. 2 had in many years.
Djokovic is coming, it will be probably a Nadal-Djokovic rivalry in a few years when Federer gets older. I always expected good things from Rafa but maybe until this Wimbledon I didn´t notice how great he can be, he never stops amazing me and I think I underestimated him.

tennishead93
07-08-2007, 03:57 PM
i dunno he may already have

Supernatural_Serve
07-08-2007, 04:00 PM
He hasn't peaked yet. He'll be #1 or #2 for most of the next 5 years if he's injury free.

TennisandMusic
07-08-2007, 04:03 PM
If he had a killer serve and stayed healthy I think he could definitely be number 1. Rogers serve was the only difference today in the match, everything else went Nadal's way if you look at the numbers. So I don't think he has peaked. Maybe in the next 2-3 years.

LarougeNY
07-08-2007, 04:30 PM
He's already at his peak. His style of game, running after every ball and spinning everything like a madman, can't endure the test of time. when he gets older his game will take more and more of a toll on his body. He most likely will start to slow down by next year, and start dropping by 2009 or so.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
He will have a long career because the courts are slowing down.I think he will win wimbledon within the next 4 years.The conditions have really changed there for his liking.

Don Felder
07-08-2007, 04:42 PM
It's hard to say... pundits predicted Roddick would injure his shoulder within the first couple years of his career and begin a downslide... while he has fallen off, he's stayed relatively injury free. So I don't want to make any sweeping predictions about Nadal's physicality or the effect of his strokes on his body. However, I still cannot see Nadal standing up to the rigors of his game and the tour - perhaps if he scales down his schedule ala Fed he'll have a chance. But it's going to be tough for his body to hold up like this... the taping of his knee/shin could even be the beginning of troublesome patellular tendonitis for him, a condition I've been battling for the last year or two. I just see him getting worn down sooner rather than later. I certainly won't expect him to be competing for grand slam titles into his 30s ala Agassi, Sampras, and like Federer will be able to IF he chooses to stick around that long. It will be interesting to watch.

VictorS.
07-08-2007, 05:32 PM
It seems like Nadal's game is becoming more and more efficient, which bodes well for him. In addition, physically he's built pretty tough so maybe he won't break down as early as people are predicting. You look at a lot of guys like Hewitt (smaller build), Kuerten (thinner), etc.

I think Nadal has a chance to also break sampras's record at some point in his career.

BkK_b0y14
07-08-2007, 05:45 PM
hes already peaked and he uses the SEARCH BUTTON. so look for other threads about this.

TENNIS_99
07-08-2007, 06:00 PM
He hasn't peaked yet. He'll be #1 or #2 for most of the next 5 years if he's injury free.

Those are big words. Super stars like Federer,Jordan,Woods make their status using their talents,hard working and the ability to keep injury free. Every one of three factors are equally important.

I really think Nadal's camp should seriously think about his schedule next year. They maximize his achievement this year by attend so many clay courts that he made more prize money than Fed prior to Wimby(may still after). Now Nadal is more matured and prove he can really go head to head with anyone including Fed on any surfaces. He needs to slow down and stabilize his career. The best of Fed started sometime in his 23, got a lot of tennis in Nadal,just needs to manage it smartly.

tricky
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Nadal has a pretty sweet kicker, but he needs to be more consistent with the flat serve. Right now, he does a great job keeping a high percentage and forcing his opponent to stay back in his service game. But if he can get to, say, Keurten level with the serve, he's going to be a true US Open threat. His return game needs to improve still. His FH is now a Federer-esque weapon in that he's now using it to create sick CC shots all over the place.

Nadal demonstrated marvelous point construction and tactics against Federer. He used the inside-out FH wonderfully. If his DTL shots didn't fail him, he might have turned out the 5th set. As Federer pointed out, last year he was messing around on grass. This year, he came with a consistent strategy to attack the net and force Federer to BH into his wheelhouse. In fact, at this stage, I would put Nadal ahead of Federer in terms of strategy there.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 09:09 PM
His forehand was a weapon in this match because the balls whre bouncing high as a kite,lol.Nadal likes a high target.

superman1
07-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I thought he had already peaked. Boy, was I wrong. He's just getting better and better. He was better off the ground and at net today than Federer. The big difference was the number of aces Federer had. 20-something from Federer to 1 from Nadal. And that's ridiculous considering they are both about the same height and Nadal is a lot stronger. He really needs to improve that knee-bend to be able to survive on hard courts and indoors.

tricky
07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Nadal likes a high target.

What makes Nadal's FH so good is that he can easily hit balls back, with authority, from just below waist-high to well as above his head. His contact zone is the largest in the game. Against Federer, he varied the shot height as Federer does to his opponents.

It wasn't so much the bounce that helped Nadal, but that the pace on this very slow grass surface opened up his shot selection.

Alex132
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Like someone said if no injuries then Nadal will win a lot of Slams...i have no idea how much his body can take, right now having word TIRED and Nadal in same sentence is ridiculous

superman1
07-08-2007, 10:11 PM
His "injury" today had me worried about his future. One little niggle and suddenly he's not Nadal anymore, he's just a human out there. It really sticks in his mind when he's not at 100%. I have a feeling he's going down the Hewitt road, though he's certainly more talented than Hewitt and will probably last a bit longer.

Hot Sauce
07-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Possibly tomorrow at 6pm?

clymb420
07-09-2007, 12:15 AM
Males reach their physical peak somewhere around 28, ladies a little earlier..around 25 or 26. That's a scary thought isn't it, with regards to Rafa? He should be fun to watch for many years to come. He actually might have to be a little careful he doesn't get too big to where he gets in his own way, like Tiger is beginning to do. Tennis, like long distance running and soccer, are not sports you want to be carrying around to much muscle weight (that also tends to decrease flexibility). That said, the kid is gonna be a monster on the court for a long time.

tennis_hand
07-09-2007, 12:18 AM
28? not in tennis players.

I think Nadal can get to No1 if he can last like this after Roger declines.
But the scary thing is, in a lot of sports and in a lot of circumstances the No2 also declines with the No1 and never gets to the No1 spot.

clymb420
07-09-2007, 10:07 AM
[QUOTE=tennis_hand;1576396]28? not in tennis players.QUOTE]

Physical peak! As in the point where the body is physically able to reach it's full potential for muscle strenght/durability, bone density, nervous system reaction time, etc...the bio-technical sport sciency stuff. 28 is an average peak for all male athletes, tennis players included.

Babolast
07-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Rafa at 25. He will be amazing I tell you.

TheNatural
07-09-2007, 11:25 AM
2009 2009 2009

TheNatural
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
I changed my mind. 2012. He'll win the 4 slams and olympic gold in 2012