PDA

View Full Version : Another Elbow Post, But Please Read

catskillthunder
10-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Im returning to the game after a 13 year layoff. Back when I was younger I played 5 days a week for 8-10 hours a day. I never had one single problem with my elbow at all. I used to use a Wimbledon HM-88 then switched to a Wimbledon Eclipse (widebody) for extra power. Still even with the racquet change no problems at all. My style is/was very western grip forehand with alot of topspin. Fast forward 13 years and now Im getting back into the game. I purchased the Head LM Radical OS, got it strung up at 63lbs and went out there and hacked away using the same western grip and heavy topspin style. After my 2nd session playing I noticed this incredible pain in my elbow that actually made me stop playing for the day. So I go home figuring because its been such a long time my arm isint used to doing those motions again. So I take a day off because there is no sign of pain at all. I get back onto the court and within 30 minutes its acting up again. I have to cut the session short because I can hardly left my right arm without if feeling fatigued and throbbing. So now I go out and buy a vibration absorber (which I never used to use at all) and bought a compression wrap for my elbow area. I go play 2 days later and the same thing happens. So now at this point Im very frustrated, I have so much desire to play, but Im fearing that my age is catching up with me (30). I did some research on my racquet and noticed it was a very stiff stick. So Im wondering if that could be contributing to the problem as well as the 63lbs of string tension. The funny part about this problem is, after I stop playing because of the elbow, Ill feel 100% better in like 2-3 hours with no signs of any discomfort at all.

Please any help or suggestions would be great. I regret taking 13 years off from the game, but I really want to be out there again because I realize how much I missed the sport.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

atatu
10-08-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure the LM OS is a stiff frame, according to TW, it has stiffness rating of 58, it's pretty flexible compared to most of the other frames out there. You might think about a softer string, tyr Iso-speed. I'm using a Dunlop 300G and it's pretty easy on the elbow, but I've heard Pro Kennex frames are the best for elbow problems. By the way, at 30, you're a spring chicken.

catskillthunder
10-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Just went out and played for an hour and half. I again used the elbow compression wrap, but this time I moved it closer to my elbow instead of where it suggests using it by the diagram it shows on the box. Result, I didnt start feeling any discomfort till towards the end, but then again I wasnt hitting my forehand with as much velocity as before when I was experiencing the pain. Im going to try a different string with a string tension of around 58-60. If that doesnt remedy the problem Ill demo a different racquet and start from square one again. **sigh**

Note: I want to apologize for stating I used the OS version. Apperently I thought I owned the OS version because on the out outside of the head its painted saying "oversize." In all acutallity, I have the "Mid-Plus" version which sports a 98 sq. inch head and it rated at 64 for stiffness.

Xevoius
10-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Look, just use a POG 107 and your problems will be solved - I guarantee it. I had the same issues when I got back into the sport at 29 with a cool new technology frame but went back to my POGs because of chronic arm pain. At least demo one.

http://www.racquetresearch.com/

Thanatos
10-18-2004, 10:48 AM
catskillthunder..take ibuprofen (sp) half an hour before you play and it will aliviate the pain. It did wonders for me. I have the same problem but worse. I can't fully extend my right arm. Any one ever have this issue?

Xevoius
10-18-2004, 11:11 AM
YES I HAVE HAD THIS PAIN!!!

I had it so bad that it would wake me up at night after only one hour on the court. My bicep would throb. It is because you are arming the racquet and not using your body. You need a heavier racquet to force proper mechanics.

Do not medicate to play because you will injure yourself long term. You should be able to play without pain and if not, you need to try and change your stroke.

The pain stopped immediately after I started playing with a heavier racquet, hitting the ball out in front of me and used a proper service motion.

Thanatos
10-18-2004, 12:34 PM
It's the same racquet (PS 6.1) and string tension (55pds) that I've been using all through college and had no problems. My service motion is actually better now (smoother and fluid) then it was in college. However, this summer was the first time in about 10 years since I started playing competitively again.

catskillthunder
10-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Today I demo'ed a Head LiquidMetal 4. I again used the arm compression wrap. I played for about an hour and 10 minutes with no pain or discomfort during or after hitting. Im here no typing this reply and I have just a tad bit of throbbing in the inside of the elbow area and towards the left side of my bicep area where the bicep and the elbow meet. Your right, Im probably arming the ball to much. The more and more I play Im sure Ill develope my stroke again, but in the meantime, Im going to add some leadtape to my Radical and see if the added wait will get me to use more of a proper stroke. Thx for the replies.

Xevoius
10-18-2004, 01:08 PM
I would suggest adding it to the handle if the racquet is already stable when you strike the ball.

NoBadMojo
10-18-2004, 01:58 PM
suggest you venture over to the strings forum and check out the poll thread about lux strings and pain and you may have your answer since you are using Big Banger. by the way, the little strng dampeners really do nothing to eliminate shock..all they do is dampen the high frequency stringbed buzz..hope this helps. the frame you are using is a pretty arm friendly one. ed

Xevoius
10-18-2004, 03:17 PM
After looking at the tension you are stringing your racquet with Big Banger ALU, I would strongly suggest lowering it.

paulfreda
10-18-2004, 10:11 PM
I agree with poster who said do not medicate.
You just postpone the day of medical crisis.

My experience with TE is ...
1/ Use the heaviest racquet you can swing in the 3rd set
2/ Use a flexible players frame
And finally ..
3/ Lower the string tension until there is no more pain.
This works although you may not like the number.
For me, max tension is 48 lbs and I play at 45.
Took a week or so to get used to it, but I would have
paid anything to make the TE vanish when I was unable
to play because of this terrible pain in a tiny part of my arm.

Good luck

Marius_Hancu
10-30-2004, 04:42 AM
Hello, catskillthunder:

How's your physical condition? Are you doing any strength work for your arms and shoulders? If not, TE will get you for sure after such a long layoff, as your muscles are weaker and the shocks are easier transmitted to the tendons.

CHANGE the racquet. Wilson PS 6.1 was killing me. I'm fine with Wilson 6.0 85, thus you see even from the same company you get different results. Try many racquets, preferably not too stiff. Read Customer Feedback on T-W for each of them for signs of TE.

Use heavier racquets, over 340-350g, or 12oz.

Reduce tension. Don't use Luxilon, too tough on the arm. Switch to natural gut, such as Babolat Tonic, it's not much more expensive.

Check your technique. You are probably wristing your shots which propagates to your elbow tendons.

Read all the postings in this forum related to TE.

Marius_Hancu
10-30-2004, 06:07 AM
Strongly suggest to do a search at:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

with:

Newsgroup Return only messages from the newsgroup: rec.sport.tennis

Subject Return only messages where the subject contains: tennis elbow

READ all the messages there and act. You should use the information already posted by others.