PDA

View Full Version : Will nadal ever claim a WImby Title?

tennisfanatic
07-08-2007, 08:56 PM
From what i had seen in his last match against Roger, i think he can one day lift a wimby champ trophy.

HOwever, i still have some doubts... If he can beat Players like youzhny and Djokovic when everyhting is equal (that is, all are healthy) then i can fully say now "yes" he really can be a champion...

I believe if youzhny and djokovic been healthy, they would have beaten Rafa in straight sets in their last meetings...

Noveson
07-08-2007, 08:58 PM
After watching todays match I feel like he will win one eventually. I don't think the lack of injury would have made too much of a difference. Even if either of them would've beaten him, they would've had no chance against the Fed train.

While Fed is around, I think Nadal is the only other person that has a chance.

Mad iX
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Two finals in a row, and he gave Fed more of a fight this time around, certainly makes me think he has a chance.
Who else is there? Roddick?
Most likely challenger will be Djoko.

ACE of Hearts
07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Yes if the grass keeps playing like this, no doubts.

bammbamm
07-08-2007, 10:46 PM
He will more likely than not.

camille
07-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Nadal's best chance of winning Wimbledon was yesterday. He clearly outplayed Federer but sadly could not take advantage of his chances (2 tie-breaks lost and multiple breakpoints not converted).

Winning the title eventually may be a little harder. First, he's peaked so early and other young, hungry players are doing their best to catch up. Secondly, there have beens signs from last year that he's becoming more injury prone. Other factors, including burn-out from so much intensity could come into play as the years go by.

Having said all that, I hope he'll win Wimbledon and many more titles on non-clay surfaces. He's really great for the game and he's a genuinely nice person.

pow
07-08-2007, 11:23 PM
At this rate, Wimbledon will be played on clay soon.

Tennis Fan
07-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Nadal's day will come...hopefully it doesn't take as long as it did Ivanisevic to finally win after always beeing in 2nd after Sampras.

Tennis Fan
07-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Nadal's day will come...hopefully it doesn't take as long as it did Ivanisevic to finally win after always being in 2nd after Sampras.

Buuurnz
07-08-2007, 11:47 PM
i dunno...he had a great shot yesterday bnut couldnt convert he break points in the 5th...So I really do not know if he will make it through a taugh draw again! we'll have to see but it's possible!

BravoRed691
07-08-2007, 11:54 PM
i dunno...he had a great shot yesterday bnut couldnt convert he break points in the 5th...So I really do not know if he will make it through a taugh draw again! we'll have to see but it's possible!

Maybe he won't have to ... maybe he'll get an easier draw next time around (not counting Roger of course...)

BR

brolycjw
07-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Nadal's best chance of winning Wimbledon was yesterday. He clearly outplayed Federer but sadly could not take advantage of his chances (2 tie-breaks lost and multiple breakpoints not converted).

Winning the title eventually may be a little harder. First, he's peaked so early and other young, hungry players are doing their best to catch up. Secondly, there have beens signs from last year that he's becoming more injury prone. Other factors, including burn-out from so much intensity could come into play as the years go by.

Having said all that, I hope he'll win Wimbledon and many more titles on non-clay surfaces. He's really great for the game and he's a genuinely nice person.
Peaked so early? You might be correct about his clay game, but his grass game is definitely improving as he plays more. Just think about it, a few days ago he was struggling in a five-setter with Soderling, and then on the finals, he was pushing perhaps the one of the greatest ever player on his favourite surface.

And no, he's becoming injury-less instead of more injury prone. He's played more matches on a physical-intensive surface like clay and hasn't sustained a single injury through the whole season. He survived two five set matches and a whole week of play and managed to last till the fourth set with Federer before sustaining a minor knee ligament. And that didn't really affect his play.

Yes if the grass keeps playing like this, no doubts.
They certainly need to slow it down more then, the hard hitters are still performing pretty well on it.

93sq.
07-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Of course....with the balls bouncing in slow motion like this year...

kalic
07-09-2007, 12:44 AM
No. Just like Fed in RG

Hot Sauce
07-09-2007, 12:46 AM
Imagine asking this question yesterday. The results would differ drastically. Nadal has displayed capability on this surface, plus Wimbledon is getting slower every year; that works to his advantage.

brolycjw
07-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Lucky Nadal, Wimbledon likes him so much they have to slow down the surface to suit his needs. Tell Nadal he does not need to step up the baseline to return serve or go to the net to volley like he did against Federer this time. That is a total waste of time which is better spent on improving his massive kick fh that gave Federer so much trouble. He should just play his usual clay court game by hitting six ft behind the baseline and he would win wimbledon quicker.

robin7
07-09-2007, 01:28 AM
I always believe that Rafa can a few Wimbledon titles. I thought he has a better chance this year before the tournament started.

Rafa should have won it against Fed. Fed just played the crucial points better & his serves came to rescue when he was down twice in the 5th set.

All credits to Rafa, beating the rain delays, hectic schedules & tough draws.

Fed just had an easy draw & walkover. He also just had the luck when he needed most. Therefore the lucky guy won.

laurie
07-09-2007, 03:14 AM
After yesterday, he can definitely win Wimbledon. Maybe even next year.

In the 2 French open finals so far Federer never looked like he could win the match with the high balls to the backhand. But at Wimbledon Nadal couldn't have come closer in the 5th set with those 4 break points.

And I hope finally, people will start to realise that Nadal is a much more talented player than people at first realized.

pound cat
07-09-2007, 03:15 AM
I always believe that Rafa can a few Wimbledon titles. I thought he has a better chance this year before the tournament started.

Rafa should have won it against Fed. Fed just played the crucial points better & his serves came to rescue when he was down twice in the 5th set.

All credits to Rafa, beating the rain delays, hectic schedules & tough draws.

Fed just had an easy draw & walkover. He also just had the luck when he needed most. Therefore the lucky guy won.

The next aspect of the game Nadal and uncle Toni can work on the Ace Factor. Federer got a lot of free points because of aces, and pulled them out at crucial times, whereas Nadal had to physically earn every point.

2 weeks solid of hitting down the T and out wide coming up for Nadal. That will help him in any tournament.

laurie
07-09-2007, 03:54 AM
The next aspect of the game Nadal and uncle Toni can work on the Ace Factor. Federer got a lot of free points because of aces, and pulled them out at crucial times, whereas Nadal had to physically earn every point.

2 weeks solid of hitting down the T and out wide coming up for Nadal. That will help him in any tournament.

Actually I was thinking the same thing yesterday whilst watching the match. Nadal must start getting at least one free point every service game. That's a priority for him right now once his holiday is over.

helloworld
07-09-2007, 04:15 AM
You guys don't get the top level tennis. Nadal doesn't serve for aces. He serves to set up points or forcing an error. He doesn't aim for outright ace. He could but it won't be nearly as effective as Federer since his first serve percentage will probably suffer.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-09-2007, 04:42 AM
He made a believer out of me over the past 2 years, I think he can and will.

mhstennis100
07-09-2007, 05:19 AM
I think once Fed starts declining he will be able to win a Wimby.

arnz
07-09-2007, 05:30 AM
It is hard to guess. However, Youzhny is getting older and might fall off by next year, kinda like Blake. He has shown he can beat Berdych. And djoko might be on the other side of the draw from him, and I dont see Fed losing to Novak any time soon. So who else is there? Nobody, anybody that beats him would be an upset, so barring an upset....

If the draw shapes up right, we might see another Fed nadal final next year, and you know Rafa will be even more confident, and Fed will start to worry just a little bit from what happened this year

AAAA
07-09-2007, 05:31 AM
Depends on the draw.

AM28143
07-09-2007, 05:51 AM
I would love to see a Nadal-Roddick Semi Final next year. Roddick, if his serve is cooking, could take Nadal. One has to remember that Roddick did give Federer a run for his money in the 2004 Wimbledon Final therefore, proving that he has the stuff do dominate on grass. It would be an intersting matchup because Nadal's return of serve is not perfect yet.