PDA

View Full Version : For all those who think Federer needs to improve his BH or switch to a 2HBH

BreakPoint
07-08-2007, 10:56 PM
Just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vrojpBD2iU

Need I say more?

Nick b
07-09-2007, 01:48 AM
damn right

tennisfanatic
07-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vrojpBD2iU

Need I say more?

well his backhand was "TERRIBLE" against NADAL!!!

Verilious
07-09-2007, 02:34 AM
Not so great against Nadal. He just needs to learn how to get farther back on those shoulder-high backhands instead of just standing straight up and trying to beam them down the line.

tennis_hand
07-09-2007, 03:19 AM
Nice music there.

crosscourt
07-09-2007, 03:26 AM
I don't recall anyone particularly criticising his backhand smash. But the opening shot on the video shows why Fed struggles against Nadal. The Fed backhand is all arm. It means he can hit some fab flashy backhands and some fab feel shots, but not dominate a clay court rally on the backhand side.

cc

Sennin
07-09-2007, 03:47 AM
I think Federer has a great backhand.

That being said, if every time I played tennis was video taped, I could have an equally impressive highlights clip simply out of sheer luck. I think its consistency is more important than a clip showing relatively uncommon shots.

Ripper
07-09-2007, 05:22 AM
His backhand is one of the best in the world. It's that damn 90 sq inch head size. He needs to change to, at least, 95. There, I said... again :)

slice bh compliment
07-09-2007, 05:31 AM
...that damn 90 sq inch head size. He needs to change to, at least, 95. There, I said... again :)

I'm not one of those equipment freaks.

Problem is, RF probably is....and could be addicted to the feel of a smaller head (I know I am, and I am nowhere near the pro level). If tennis had a significant off-season and RF honestly and earnestly tried to get used to a more modern and maneuverable frame (say, a Fischer MSpeed Pro 1 98 or a Babolat Prue Control or AeroPro Storm), I think he would actually improve his tennis even more.

Hard to believe, yeah, but he'd get used to it over a month or two, then start absolutely crushing people...making Nadalesque passes from way off the court. I guess he already does that, but he'd be even more devastating, I think.

But maybe he has already tried it, who knows? Or maybe his game is built on such precision, he wouldn't change much......and will probably never go for this sort of idea.

Big Fed
07-09-2007, 05:59 AM

Thats why Fed won....

crosscourt
07-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Thats why Fed won....

The best bit of Fed's game was his serving. At the back, and at the net, they were pretty much equal/Nadal shaded it.

champy511
07-09-2007, 10:55 AM
His BH is not terrible, his BH is probably the best ever, but when he plays Nadal he needs to put more variety. He fell into that pattern again in the wimbledon final where he hit everything with topspin, and all it did was a perfect shot in Nadal's power zone, it looked like another French Open match. That's how Nadal managed to hit all those awesome passing shot, not saying that he can't do it, but all those passing shots came off of a topspin approach shots. On grass that shot doesn't work as well, especially against someone like Nadal. If you see the match against Safin, Fed purposely hit that heavy slice to keep the balls low, but somehow against Nadal, he didn't do it, possibly because of his tendency of just traded topspin gs with Nadal.
He finally did it in the fifth set, and it worked wonders, plus Nadal had a little problem with his knee.

All i can say is his BH has improved a lot especially during the FO, but it turned him into this "predictable topspin all the time" player, which so not Federer like. Anyway, this is probably the very reason Sampras feels that he could play again because he could hit those slice backhands low to his opponent.
Also to put in mine, the grass at Wimbledon is different now as stated by Johnny Mac alot. I played the junior Wimbledon twice, 92 and 93, I had to serve and volley all the time, and slices (serve and GS) worked great on that court, even though it was a big surprise in 92 when Agassi won it, and then a baseliner from Czech, David Skoch, also won the Juniors.

In summary, I don't think he needs to switch at all, he handled all those high balls as well as any two handers.

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Don't know what you're talking about. I thought he stayed in a lot of crosscourt rallies with his BH to Nadal's huge FH. I thought it was pretty impressive to say the least.

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't recall anyone particularly criticising his backhand smash. But the opening shot on the video shows why Fed struggles against Nadal. The Fed backhand is all arm. It means he can hit some fab flashy backhands and some fab feel shots, but not dominate a clay court rally on the backhand side.

The 1HBH is mostly all arm and some shoulder lifting, no torso rotating. Federer hits a textbook 1HBH and the way it's supposed to be hit. Just classic.

BTW, do you use a 1HBH or 2HBH?

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 12:04 PM
His backhand is one of the best in the world. It's that damn 90 sq inch head size. He needs to change to, at least, 95. There, I said... again :)
That's a paradox. You just said "his backhand is one of the best in the world", then in the next breath you say he needs to switch from his 90 "to at least a 95"???? :confused:

Sorry, but that does not compute.

Tchocky
07-09-2007, 12:14 PM
That music was so bad. It was tough watching the whole video with that awful muzak.

slice bh compliment
07-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Nice music there.

Yes. For a massage.

crosscourt
07-09-2007, 02:01 PM
The 1HBH is mostly all arm and some shoulder lifting, no torso rotating. Federer hits a textbook 1HBH and the way it's supposed to be hit. Just classic.

BTW, do you use a 1HBH or 2HBH?

I use a single hander. I try to keep my arm out of it as much as possible. It's a lot like the modern forehand.

ACE of Hearts
07-09-2007, 02:03 PM
His backhand was not effective yesterday since he had to go up to hit it, ridiculous.It had no pace since this ******** surface called grass or should we say red grass,lol.

harryz
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
IMO, Fed should use the hard slice much more v Nadal, especially when returning in the ad court. He gets in trouble on higher balls that he (stubbornly) tries to come over. My two cents, and Mac agrees.

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
I use a single hander. I try to keep my arm out of it as much as possible. It's a lot like the modern forehand.
Hmmm...I'd love to see a video of this. I don't see how anyone can hit a 1HBH and keep their arm out of it.

BTW, doesn't Federer hit a "modern forehand"? If so, it seems like it's mostly arm.

jmverdugo
07-09-2007, 05:06 PM
Not that I think he should change anything of his game but Im pretty sure he knows how to hit two hander BHs.

clymb420
07-09-2007, 05:23 PM
I don't know that I would call a person who questions Federer's one-hander a "thinker". That said, I think that was just about the cheesiest sports highlight montage I've ever seen. Fed is absolutely graceful and all, but I felt like I should have been watching a figure skater or something. What's with the music...love the BH, but I sure did miss the pop of the ball. My sense of sight was overwhelmed by my sense of hearing.

Some people just don't appreciate anything anymore. Fed's bh is like a slick sports car, a Ferrari maybe? While Rafa's bh is like a Hummer, probably the H2. They are both beautiful with attributes to be appreciated. Eh! I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite, 'cause I just don't appreciate Pan-flute music anymore, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who do.

clymb420
07-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Not that I think he should change anything of his game but Im pretty sure he knows how to hit two hander BHs.

I'd bet he hits a pretty damn good 2bh. People hate this traditionalist angle (mostly teenagers and young men who still live in their parents basements), but he is! And it is great! I love it! The suit at wimby is sweet. I wish they'd play at least one tournament with wood. But what do I know, I'm an adult who appreciates the past, like Fed. He wouldn't hit a 2bh, 'cause it's not really that beautiful of a stroke, and traditionally, tennis played all over the court is a beautiful game. And that's what he does.

drakulie
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM

You must have the most awkward looking BH.

slice bh compliment
07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
...I just don't appreciate Pan-flute music anymore, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who do.

Zamfir is coming over to your house right now. And man is he ****ed.

dennis10is
07-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Fed 1bh is clearly technically unsound. We can all see that. It is clear that he needs to work on all aspects of his game, we can all see that. His faults are too numerous: technical, tactical, strategic, mental. If he had the humility to watch us play tennis, and kneel before us as we pontificate on the truth of tennis to him, he would be GOAT. Pity really that he doesn't take advantage of our wisdom.

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 07:30 PM
That said, I think that was just about the cheesiest sports highlight montage I've ever seen. Fed is absolutely graceful and all, but I felt like I should have been watching a figure skater or something. What's with the music...love the BH, but I sure did miss the pop of the ball. My sense of sight was overwhelmed by my sense of hearing.

That's why I watched it with the volume turned off, :D

jaykay
07-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Dang - that BH is a thing of beauty. Anybody knows where I can buy the DVD of the match between Federer and Srichapan played at Basel? That match is full of insane shot-making by both players and is an absolute must-have...

iamke55
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
The TMC match between Federer and Blake had better BH highlights than that video IMO

crosscourt
07-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Hmmm...I'd love to see a video of this. I don't see how anyone can hit a 1HBH and keep their arm out of it.

BTW, doesn't Federer hit a "modern forehand"? If so, it seems like it's mostly arm.

Ok, I'll see if I can get a video next time I'm playing.

And I don't think that he does hit a modern forehand -- precisely because it has so much arm in it. Of course, he has an amazing forehand. But his backhand has real limitations.

crosscourt
07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
You must have the most awkward looking BH.

Not at all. But it is designed to hit a lot of balls at different heights -- from slice to high bouncing topspin -- in the same rally against players who may run round their backhands to hit forehands at my backhand.

ccc

TheNatural
07-10-2007, 08:54 AM
His backhand will never be a weapon.He needs to improve his ace count , to stay 1 step ahead of the competition.

ACE of Hearts
07-10-2007, 08:59 AM
HIi backhand is a weapon, especially on a fast surface.It used to be a factor at wimbledon until they slowed it down.I expect it to be a weapon come the U.S Open.

Povl Carstensen
07-10-2007, 10:25 AM
He won the 3. set with a huge BH.