PDA

View Full Version : With Venus in Wimby finals, ratings shoot way up!

tennisjunkiela
07-09-2007, 12:09 AM
If anyone needs any further proof why women deserve equally prize money, look no further than NBC's ratings for the women's final which shot up 27 percent over last year due to Venus Williams.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AjxEVTW.YSHtA.0G97xBqvI4v7YF?slug=ap-wimbledonnotebook&prov=ap&type=lgns

Corporations pay more money to advertise during events with bigger audiences so, if women like Venus drive ad revenue and tv ratings up, like Tiger Woods does in golf, they should be compensated accordingly.

Like the movie analogy made earlier, who's willing to pay more money for a crappy movie just because it's 3 hours long versus an excellent 2 hour movie? Not many people! And I for one, would much rather see a 2 hour Venus Williams - Marion Bartoli match than say a 4 hour Justine Gilmestob - Tommy Robredo match any day.

It is also refreshing to see, by the huge ratings and popularity the Williams sisters enjoy in the real world, that the close-minded people on this board, who incessantly spew hate toward them, are in the minority. like tiger woods, who also gets his fair share of hate mail too, the williams sisters choose to ignore the haters and just keep on acheiving - 26 grand slams titles and counting!

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-09-2007, 06:11 AM
I think the proof is in the pudding when it comes to Venus and Serena, and their impact of the sport.

There are some that will say that they are bad for the sport, but when some judgment is clouded itís hard to try to convince otherwise.

I agree with you and also hope they stay healthy to stay on the tour for years to come

JLyon
07-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Men's Final beat out Women's Final 3.2 to 2.8, so it is great that both Finals saw increases in viewership, but looks like the men were more popular this year again.