PDA

View Full Version : Fed-Nadal: Balance of powers

urban
07-09-2007, 12:50 AM
One afterthought after RG and Wimbledon. Both top players have defended their resp.kingdoms, and constituted a sort of balance of powers. One is constantly shattering the dream win of the other. Following virtually all comments, Nadal has closed the gap on Federer. If i see it right, he leads in the points race, while Fed has an advantage in the majors. Nadal should take a good rest now, not to overplay himself. The critical factor in the Wim final was obviously the serve: With a 1-24 in aces you simply cannot win Wimbledon. Both players suffered from the scheduling: Fed partly lost his rhythm, Nadal his physical and mental freshness after 8 days of tennis behind him. The tendency of assimilation of surfaces is going through: As predicted, 3 semifinalists of RG appeared in the sf of Wimbledon. It doesn't' speak for the depth of the field, if a newcomer like Djokovic can reach both sf in his first big year. One can only hope, that in years to come, players like Murray, Ancic or Pim-Pim, who could do well on grass, will recover from their injuries. The game needs more competition at the top.

brolycjw
07-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Yes, I agree with it. As much as everyone is complaining about the speed of the grass, no other players are able close in on Federer on any surface. It's about time the players re-evaluate themselves instead of the surface.

Rhino
07-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Following virtually all comments, Nadal has closed the gap on Federer.

Well yes and no. Nadal definitely played a much better Wimbledon final, thats for sure. But keep in mind, that the head-to-head was 6-1 in favour of Nadal just over a year ago. Now it's 8-5 in favour of Nadal (and thats with all those clay matches), so actually it's Federer who is closing the gap, and with the hard court season ahead, if Nadal can make some finals Federer may just even it up.

brolycjw
07-09-2007, 01:03 AM
Well yes and no. Nadal definitely played a much better Wimbledon final, thats for sure. But keep in mind, that the head-to-head was 6-1 in favour of Nadal just over a year ago. Now it's 8-5 in favour of Nadal (and thats with all those clay matches), so actually it's Federer who is closing the gap, and with the hard court season ahead, if Nadal can make some finals Federer may just even it up.

Federer didn't close in to improve the h2h, Nadal closed in only to lose to Federer in tight matches. 5 of his 6 wins were on clay which Nadal already has an edge, and they simply played more non-clay court matches this year which Nadal was already weaker than Federer at that even players like Berdych, Youzhny and Blake have bested him.

But I do have to agree that Federer is getting very close to Nadal on clay.

fednad
07-09-2007, 02:35 AM
One can only hope, that in years to come, players like Murray, Ancic or Pim-Pim, who could do well on grass, will recover from their injuries. .

Who is Pim-Pim?

urban
07-09-2007, 02:44 AM
He is a long forgotten young Swedish player from 2 years ago, named Joachim Johansson, who had the biggest serve around and looked like a strong contender at the Big W.

kaiotic
07-09-2007, 02:53 AM
two sides to this:

aside from Nadal's anemic ace count, he was still very close to beating Fed..
Nadal in the fifth, with a few key unforced errors and not able to covert the breaks, was the story.
Fed did show some balls of a champ in the fifth with his Sampra-esque aces, getting himself out of double break pts.
still, having only one ace just makes it that much harder to win it. his display at the net plus some greta-looking touch shots were IMPRESSIVE! Mac was creaming in his pants. now ony if Nadal can flatten out his frist serve a little more.

Fed: shaken for the most part of the match by Nadal's balls of a bull, stubbornly stayed behind the baseline, and forgets the s&V game that has given him easy points (on those that he didn't get passed) when he does come in. he took Nadal on grass playing essentially a baseline game.

A great match for the tennis fans.. I loved it.
thanks to the world's #1 and #2.

Nadal is now my fave player to watch.

helloworld
07-09-2007, 02:58 AM
Wtf? Balance of power ?? You've been watching too much jedi movie my friend....

AAAA
07-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Nadal has always given Federer difficult matches and beaten him more times than not simply because Nadal had the game to do it. If they played a specially arranged match on the USO courts I'm fairly confident Nadal would give Federer a really tough time, again because he has the game to beat him.

Nadal has improved on grass but the improvement has been blown way out of proportion because many people are only comparing his performance against Federer from the 2006 and 2007 Wimbledon finals. As already said Nadal has the game so will never look bad against Federer. What people are not considering is that Nadal didn't steam roll his other opponents like Federer this year or last year. How Nadal played against the 6 other opponents on grass is a more accurate gauge of his grass court game than his form against a player he has a winning record against.

Edit: Barring injuries and loss of interest because Federer is 4 years older than Nadal, Federer's physical decline will set in before Nadal so Nadal will likely play a Federer in decline so Nadal will extend his head to head lead.

Grimjack
07-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Balance of power:

Nadal owns one small dirt court in the middle of France.
Fed owns the rest of the world.

It's sort of like the balance of power between the US and Paraguay.

urban
07-09-2007, 04:32 AM
Majors: 2-1 Fed
Masters: 1-3 Nadal
Overall titles: 4-5 Nadal
Points Race Leader: Nadal

Nadal owns a little more than a small part of France. I think Rome, too. By the way: Peru owns one of the Seven world wonders, the oh so great US nothing, i think.

Fatmike
07-09-2007, 04:37 AM
Well, Nadal lost his serve only 3 times in 5 sets, so I don't hink it would have helped him a lot if he did more aces....

caulcano
07-09-2007, 04:50 AM

I disagree. Even though the H2H is closing, to me it means that Nadal is reaching more finals, to met Federer (who is expected to reach them), therefore is getting better (I think his Wimbledon display proves this).

urban
07-09-2007, 04:53 AM
But the player with the better serve normally wins the tiebreaks, too. Serving is a underrated part of Federer's game. It may not be the hardest, but especially at Wimbledon it works very well, because it leads to direct points or opens up the court.

Fatmike
07-09-2007, 05:02 AM
But the player with the better serve normally wins the tiebreaks, too. Serving is a underrated part of Federer's game. It may not be the hardest, but especially at Wimbledon it works very well, because it leads to direct points or opens up the court.

yes, you're right about the tiebreak

I don't underrate Fed serves. I think it's one of the best even if not the fastest.

Moose Malloy
07-09-2007, 12:03 PM
As predicted, 3 semifinalists of RG appeared in the sf of Wimbledon. It doesn't' speak for the depth of the field, if a newcomer like Djokovic can reach both sf in his first big year.

Yeah, I remember you predicting this after the FO, it was a strange sight, seeing the same guys in the final four at W. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again at the US Open, surfaces are so similar these days.

Outside of this year, in the Open Era only one other year, 1984(Lendl, Mac, Connors) did the 3 same players make the FO semis & W semis.

From 1994-2004, only one player(Agassi in '99) was able to make the semis of both the French & W in the same year.

urban
07-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Yes, Moose, tennis is too predictable now. It speaks against guys like Roddick, Blake and even Gasquet. Roddick had a dream draw at Wim, he had an ideal preparation, after his early exit at RG and Queens win, he was in good form and knows, how to play on grass (but not to volley). I think, he had his biggest chance to upset a slightly below par Federer and to win it all, but he squandered a big lead and as experienced tie break player lost the vital tiebreaks to a mentally weak Gasquet. Unbelievable. And Gasquet himself: He declared surrender even before the match with Fed, when he said, he might be too tired. Come on: When Mac, not exactly a world class tri-athlet, won the USO in 1980, he played Lendl, Connors (in a gruelling 5 hour match at night) and Borg in another 4 hour match in 3 days, and didn't complain.And where is Blake? Last year at Queens he played pretty well on grass, but nothing followed up. And i am not speaking of top tenners with a big serve like Ljubicic - has he reached the last 16 of a major lately? One of the best matches of this Wimbledon imo was the Djoko-Baghdatis match. Both were hitting only big serves and forehands all day. The highlights were the occasional dh backhands down the line. But no volley at all, only after mishits. And there were so many openings for volleys. A good volleyer would be an instant contender. I am not speaking of serve and volley at all costs, but of volleys after deep approach shots.