PDA

View Full Version : My Wimbledon Perspective

Doc Hollidae
07-09-2007, 08:57 AM
After watching Wimbledon this year and hearing the complaints of baseline grass tennis, I think one glaring reason why no one comes to the net anymore is players' poor approach game. This weekend I watched Roddick get passed by Gasquet over and over again. Many times approaching cross court and leaving himself completely exposed. Djokovic came to next with a full swing each time, often over hitting or smacking the ball into the net. While people have gotten better off the baseline and balls are being struck harder, weak approach shots are still going to give you the same results. Knowing when to approach also makes things easier. Several times I've seen Roddick hitting his approach from teh baseline after being 4-5 ft. behind the baseline. When you're hitting shots like that of course you are going to be passed on the the defensive.

Also the use of slice seemed underutilized. Especially from Federer. While he's backhand is one of the best, why not slice more often and force Nadal to get low and make it harder for him to get under the ball to hit that heavy topspin? Sure it's easier said that done, but it still gives Nadal a different look and pace.

ACE of Hearts
07-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Hey Doc, what was ur thought on yesterday's match and how the grass looked so slowwwwwwwwwww?I think its hard to serve and volley when the ball is sitting up high and that makes it a target.

Doc Hollidae
07-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Hey Doc, what was ur thought on yesterday's match and how the grass looked so slowwwwwwwwwww?I think its hard to serve and volley when the ball is sitting up high and that makes it a target.

I didn't see much slice occurring or slice approaches. Yes the grass is slower than in the past, but it is still faster than clay. The grass playing slower also doesn't alter the fact of Roddick hitting numerous cross court approaches, especially to Gasquet's backhand, and constantly being passed. It would have been a lot easier to approached down the line, so he'd be in position to cover the net.

ACE of Hearts
07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
U could hardly see any crosscourt winners yesterday.Everything was going slow.I think that really played an advantage towards Nadal.If Fed hadnt served well, he would have loss.