PDA

View Full Version : Wimby Final: Best Tennis Ever Played?

snapple
07-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Saw a quote by Nadal after the final that "the tennis level was the best in history". I do believe that overall this was the highest level of tennis played by BOTH players during a single match, much less GS final. Can't think of another final that showcased such brilliance on both sides of the court at once. (Not to be confused with the single most dominant performance, which to me was when Mac destroyed Connors in 84) But yesterday to say they raised the sport to a new level, in this case, is not just another cliche.

After watching Nadal, I am left to wonder if his style is the future of tennis though I would much prefer to think that the next generation of stars will be more in the mold of Fed rather than winning by overwhelming brute force like Nadal, (which isn't to say that he doesn't possess great touch as well). In any event, I think both these players have taken the sport to new heights, much the way Lendl and Becker revolutionized the power game in the 80s.

avmoghe
07-09-2007, 09:24 AM
I would say - not even close.

The quality of play wasn't even the best seen at Wimbledon...let alone other tournaments. Off the top of my head, I would say the Rafter-Agassi semi-final encounters were far better.

I don't mean to claim that Rafter or Agassi could've beaten Federer regularly, but the level of tennis in that match was superior to this final IMO. There are probably many other matches others will come up with.

snapple
07-09-2007, 09:47 AM
would say - not even close.

The quality of play wasn't even the best seen at Wimbledon...let alone other tournaments. Off the top of my head, I would say the Rafter-Agassi semi-final encounters were far better.

I don't mean to claim that Rafter or Agassi could've beaten Federer regularly, but the level of tennis in that match was superior to this final IMO. There are probably many other matches others will come up with.

As exciting, dramatic and hard fought as the Agassi/Rafter match was, I just don't think there were nearly the same number of points that left you almost speechless as in yesterday's final. That contest just didn't leave me with the same feeling that a new breed of tennis is on display.

93sq.
07-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?Becker-Edberg!?

quest01
07-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I would say this years Wimbledon is one of the best matches i have ever seen on grass. I would rather see this style of tennis compared to boring serve and volley tennis of the 90's on this surface.

fednad
07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
you bet!
The three finals between Becker-Edberg provided the smoothest and finest grass-court play.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
You were left almost speechless? I am guessing this is singular usage, and not general indicating mutiple persons. Having watched them both play before and seeing their amazing abilities, I personally would not be speechless at anything they do because they are just that good. Applause certainly and honestly though.

It was a good, hard fought match, but there are so many others, so many other tournaments that surpassed it. Any number of Becker-Edberg finals, Rafter against Goran, mac against Connors, Lendl against Mac in the French Open finals.

Each generation can have a new breed of tennis being played, but just because it is different and new doesn't automatically make it superior to other matches that were played.

As exciting, dramatic and hard fought as the Agassi/Rafter match was, I just don't think there were nearly the same number of points that left you almost speechless as in yesterday's final. That contest just didn't leave me with the same feeling that a new breed of tennis is on display.

93sq.
07-09-2007, 10:22 AM
I would say this years Wimbledon is one of the best matches i have ever seen on grass. I would rather see this style of tennis compared to boring serve and volley tennis of the 90's on this surface.

I think you should watch french open only...you don't like the championships