PDA

View Full Version : best 1hb of all time?

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 10:20 AM
I like these threads

Andres
07-09-2007, 10:21 AM
I'll go with Kuerten for both fast and slow surfaces
On a 2nd place, Gaudio for the slower, and Federer for the fast surfaces.

quest01
07-09-2007, 10:22 AM
Good question, i would probably go with Pete Sampras.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
07-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Sampras would be likely. I really liked Lendl's, although from memory he didn't have the variety of Sampras, his shots were extremely effective.

laurie
07-09-2007, 10:32 AM
I think Gasquet has the potential to eclipse all of these players with his one hander.

alkibiades
07-09-2007, 10:40 AM
In no particular order:

Eliot Teltscher -- the Gasquet of his day; mediocre forhand and serve, solid but unspectacular volleys; so-so movement; top 10 player, all because of the guided missile that the ball became after he hit it with his backhand

Stefan Edberg -- usually didn't hit it real hard, but he could loop it, drive it, or slice it equally well (his slice was just gorgeous); the man made it to the FO final with a mid-level WTA forhand; the only player I've ever seen hit inside-out one
-handed backhand winners from the baseline; absolutely PERFECT form, the best ever

Petr Korda -- a left SE without the volleys but with a solid forhand; his BH wasn't QUITE as pretty, but it was just as effective

Fed is up there also, and he is the only player I can think of who had such a great one-hander that was also his weaker side

Golden Retriever
07-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Sampras?? COME ON.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Stefan Edberg -- usually didn't hit it real hard, but he could loop it, drive it, or slice it equally well (his slice was just gorgeous); the man made it to the FO final with a mid-level WTA forhand; the only player I've ever seen hit inside-out one
-handed backhand winners from the baseline; absolutely PERFECT form, the best ever

Best ever is definitely stretching that as far as Stefan is concerned. BH was solid, and his stronger side as his forehand was always a bit wingy and likely to go off, but up there with the greatest...? Granted he kept that great knee bend and followed through, but wow.

Janne
07-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I have a tough time choosing between Gaudio since his backhand is so hard to read, Gustavo Kuertens backhand and Gasquets.

david22
07-09-2007, 11:00 AM
I have a tough time choosing between Gaudio since his backhand is so hard to read, Gustavo Kuertens backhand and Gasquets.

Gaudio's backhand is only effective on clay though while Gasquet 's backhand for instance is effective on ALL surfaces.

gsquicksilver
07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Stefan Edberg

harleywilson
07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
I'll go with either Kuerten or Edberg

alkibiades
07-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Best ever is definitely stretching that as far as Stefan is concerned. BH was solid, and his stronger side as his forehand was always a bit wingy and likely to go off, but up there with the greatest...? Granted he kept that great knee bend and followed through, but wow.

If you watch his FO final against Chang, you'll see what I mean. Although I admit I am giving him points for aesthetics as well as brute effectiveness.

pow
07-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Sampras would be likely. I really liked Lendl's, although from memory he didn't have the variety of Sampras, his shots were extremely effective.

Yeah Sampras! I like Roddick too...

... no, but seriously...

Gasquet and Federer, Gasquet has a lot of natural talent but he hasn't learned to execute it as well as he should. Federer knows what he is doing with it most of the time except against Nadal's high bounce, but even now, he is improving against the high bounce.

Calleri's is not bad either I guess, but I haven't seen him in enough matches.

jaggy
07-09-2007, 12:08 PM
To watch I would go with Rosewall, most effective id take Federer and gasquet has promise.

Sean Dugan
07-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Impossible to name just one .....a lot of pretty one handed BH's

To name a few from the Open Era: Rosewall (known for a great slice), Edberg, Pioline, Kuerten, Korda, Becker, Haas, Gasquet, Federer. Muster, Corretja, Rafter, Henman, Gonzo.

Chicks: Henin and Martinez.

Sampras would definitely not be on my list for his BH. His BH was adequate at best. Great forehand, great serve, great OH, great athleticism, solid volleyer. His only weakness was his backhand which was known to go off from time to time. Fed's BH seems to have that tendency, too.

Pete was originally a two handed player......changed around age 14. Supposedly his two handed BH was his best shot at the time. The prevailing opinion then was one shouldn't hit a two handed drive and a one handed slice/volley. One had to pick one or the other. Now many players (even me), hit a two handed drive and a one handed slice and volley.

I always though Pete would have been even better if he had kept his two handed drive...but he seemed to do okay anyway. ;o)

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Way too many to name:

Don Budge
Rod Laver
Ken Rosewall
Edberg
Muster
Pioline
Kuerten
Gaudio
Gasquet
Haas
Federer
etc.

VGP
07-09-2007, 12:35 PM
How can some of you guys put Gasquet over Edberg at this point?

A great shot/stroke comes with the results which is mostly garnered by grand slam titles.

If we're going by the stroke alone, you'd have to put Jaime Yzaga and Pioline on the list.

If you couple it with GS results, I'd go with Hoad, Laver, Rosewall, Budge, Kramer, Gonzales, McEnroe, (early - I stress early) Sampras, Lendl, Edberg, Becker, and Federer.

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I think we ARE talking just about the 1HBH stroke itself and not how much the players actually won.

TheNatural
07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Its not Federer. How could he have the best forehand and best backhand ever and still lose 3/4 of the baseline rallys versus Nadal?

VGP
07-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I think we ARE talking just about the 1HBH stroke itself and not how much the players actually won.

Then I have the best backhand of all time!!!!!

You just have to believe it, trust me.

fastdunn
07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Way too many to name:

Don Budge
Rod Laver
Ken Rosewall

etc.

I've heard about these 3's backhand.

I loved to watch Rosewell's backhand.
I've heard when Laver backhand strikes, that usually signals the end of a match
is near.

Duing last 20 years, I have never seen something like Gasquet's backhand
which produces something I never seen in evry single match I watch.
Maybe Laver's backhand was like this but definitely I never seen any stronger backhand.

VGP
07-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Laver's backhand was amazing.

Gasquet's is flashier (probably due to the equipment), but only now is he getting that kind of deep penetration that Laver had off the backhand side.

In D Zone
07-09-2007, 01:11 PM
As far as the modern era of tennis - in terms of power game.
Gasquet's backhand I think is one of the best! Gasquet has shown that he can play outplay Roddick's attack and even Federer on his backhand.

He's young and hopefully he can bring it all together to make a run for the title against Djokovic.... not sure if he good enough against Nadal.

tricky
07-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Difference between Gasquet and Federer's BH is that the latter guy has much better point construction. He'll mix up height, different spin, and work different angles with the slice to set up a winner. Fed probably hits the ball as cleanly as anybody on tour, but his shoulder turn and arm rotation isn't as good as Haas, and he doesn't use his legs as consistently as other players. The legs thing could be a conditioning issue; he consistently drove from the legs against Nadal on grass, but not so on clay after the 2nd set of their FO match.

In any case, Gasquet doesn't have the same multi-tiered approach to his BH. Gasquet almost treats his 1H BH like a rally shot (which is remarkable in itself) and then he goes for angles. So naturally he puts lots of topspin on all his shots, and only rarely does he go for deep, flat shots. The raw racquet speed on his BH is amazing, though, and he can smash balls from almost any height.

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I can't believe I forgot GAUDIO, and ROSEWALL, so many names, I am so sorry for my crap poll selection

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 02:41 PM
I can't believe I forgot GAUDIO, and ROSEWALL, so many names, I am so sorry for my crap poll selection
Don't worry. Instead of Rosewall and Gaudio, you did include Callieri and Stich, whom all the pundits endlessly extol the amazingness of their 1HBH's. It's like I can't even turn on the TV without some sportscaster talking about Callieri's and Stich's phenomenal backhands anymore. It's like nobody even cares about Barry Bonds almost breaking Babe Ruth's record anymore. ;) LOL

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Did NBC rehire Bud Collins?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL ;) ;) ;) ;)

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 03:17 PM
your ignorance of Stich is further eidence that you are just a 14 year old out of his depth

ShcMad
07-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Gasquet and Gaudio have marvelous backhands. Especially, Gasquet. Even though he has a pretty extreme grip, he can take low balls and shoulder-height balls with ease and just rip them like there's no tomorrow. That is why Nadal was trying to keep the ball away from Gasquet's backhand side during 2005 Monte Carlo.

fastdunn
07-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Difference between Gasquet and Federer's BH is that the latter guy has much better point construction. He'll mix up height, different spin, and work different angles with the slice to set up a winner. Fed probably hits the ball as cleanly as anybody on tour, but his shoulder turn and arm rotation isn't as good as Haas, and he doesn't use his legs as consistently as other players. The legs thing could be a conditioning issue; he consistently drove from the legs against Nadal on grass, but not so on clay after the 2nd set of their FO match.

In any case, Gasquet doesn't have the same multi-tiered approach to his BH. Gasquet almost treats his 1H BH like a rally shot (which is remarkable in itself) and then he goes for angles. So naturally he puts lots of topspin on all his shots, and only rarely does he go for deep, flat shots. The raw racquet speed on his BH is amazing, though, and he can smash balls from almost any height.

Yes, Gasquet has lots to learn more about "point construction".
But I think I have seen a complete backhand from Gasquet.
Top spin, flat and slice with amazing control.
He hits basic top spin backhand but unbelievable flat down the lines
too many times. Also incredibly angles slice shots.
But he proly tops his backhand and goes for it too many occasions
where other 1 handers would hit defensive shots...

West Coast Ace
07-09-2007, 03:45 PM
Sampras?? COME ON.You beat me to it.

Now come pick me up - I fell and I'm laughing and I can't get up! :grin:

Polaris
07-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Good question, i would probably go with Pete Sampras.
<Insert obligatory McEnroe quote here>. You cannot be ..... .

NamRanger
07-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Gasquet has the best, pretty much invincible on that side. His forehand on the other hand....

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-09-2007, 03:48 PM
lendl
(10 chars)

iamke55
07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
How can some of you guys put Gasquet over Edberg at this point?

A great shot/stroke comes with the results which is mostly garnered by grand slam titles.

If we're going by the stroke alone, you'd have to put Jaime Yzaga and Pioline on the list.

If you couple it with GS results, I'd go with Hoad, Laver, Rosewall, Budge, Kramer, Gonzales, McEnroe, (early - I stress early) Sampras, Lendl, Edberg, Becker, and Federer.

By your logic, early Sampras wouldn't fit that list because even though he had a better backhand, his achievements weren't close to late Sampras.

saram
07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I opt for Roger and he's not on the list. He may not have the best form compared to some others on the list--but he has that wing of his picked on by the highest kicking ball on tour, delivered by Rafa and still finds a way to tough out the points/rallies and come through with a W. The ball kicks above his bandana continually and he gets the ball back with pace--that is an amazing accomplishment in my mind....

theace21
07-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Edberg - sweet, smooth and variety

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 04:45 PM
early sampras's backhand was as good as edberg, then he fired lansdorp...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QErUyofF9qQ

Pete Semper
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Edberg has the best 1BH I ve ever seen. Gasquet would be a solid choice.

Shaolin
07-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Why is Pavel not on the list?????

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 05:15 PM
pete's one handed backhand before he fired lansdorp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sIynLdzf_g&mode=related&search=

clymb420
07-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Without knowing from seeing some of the oldtimers 1-handers, I'm gonna hafta say...pound for pound, I like Henin's backhand the most. This thread is suffering from a little testosterone ******ation. If you put her backhand on a professional male of average height, weight...that bh would dominate this board. Imagine her backhand on a tall pro male. With long levers, it'd be about the most georgeous thing you'd ever seen. Actually, I'm being a bit of a hypocrite. Her backhand can stand alone, still on her...a female. She's such a tiny little thing, but she has a long, tall supermodel of a backhand.

I'm off to search youtube for old footage of classic bhs, but I think Henin's will stand up.

baseliner87
07-09-2007, 06:39 PM
kuerten, gaudio, gasquet there not bad but i havn't seen all the old school backhand o i'll just go with gasquet

BounceHitBounceHit
07-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Where is Gaudio's name?? ;) CC

quest01
07-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Why is Pavel not on the list?????

I would also have to add where is Pete Sampras on that list?

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 07:07 PM
^^
I already addressed this on the first page of comments.

dennis10is
07-09-2007, 07:09 PM
How come none of the TW members are on the list? Judging from the absolute certainty of the fellow members here, I would have expected a few to be on the list. Quite shocking really.