PDA

View Full Version : Has the tide finally turned? Are you a now a Nadal fan?

Attila the tennis Bum
07-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Has the tide finally turned? Are you a now a Nadal fan? Can you:

FEEL THE FIRE!

Voltron
07-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Ummm.......nope.....not a Fed fan either........

Attila the tennis Bum
07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Ummm.......nope.....not a Fed fan either........

I just added the poll. vote.

ferocious4hand
07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Weren't you going to have a "field day" when Rafa wins?

Any no, I've always been a Nadal-Fed fan

MoFed
07-09-2007, 10:36 AM
I am still a Federer fan, but I have a new respect for Nadal.

dukemunson
07-09-2007, 10:37 AM
wheres the "dont like either" poll position...

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Was going to vote based on the thread title, that I admire Nadal even more now, but still I am not a fan. Same with Fed.

P.S. But after read the poll now I see it's a Rafael vs. Fed type thread I didn't vote, because my answer is not represented.

Sup2Dresq
07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
I'll say this, most tennis fans and sports fans who watched the Wimbledon 07 final, said that Nadal was so impressive and had could of won. Total opposite of last years talk.

Also, a common phrase was "Feder is so boring". Can it be that more fans want some variety.

I myself want Fed to win 10 more then we can talk.

Attila the tennis Bum
07-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Weren't you going to have a "field day" when Rafa wins?

Any no, I've always been a Nadal-Fed fan

Nadal did win. He showed Roger how real men play tennis. How did you like how Roger changed into that outfit for the awards?? wasn't that cute? And did you see that gay gillete commercial....omg.

Roger had the better serve that day and I believe that Rafa was injured....but in any event....I think Roger was completely outplayed.

Nadal won a lot of fans yesterday and Roger lost a lot of fans. It was awesome......VAMOS!!!!

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
07-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Nadal won a lot of fans yesterday and Roger lost a lot of fans. It was awesome......VAMOS!!!!

Gotta agree with that. Definitely believe Nadal won a lot more fans through his play, and unfortunate he had the knee difficulties because I really thing he would have won. The time taken for treatment allowed Fed to regroup because he was really looking bad.

I think people more question Fed's potential GOAT label though he took the trophy, because it looked to me (and he's done it before) that when he is winning easily, he is congenial and gracious yes, but when someone is getting the better of him, he turned quite petulant and almost fractious as if, how dare someone?!.

Really gave a frown to me. I never root for or against Fed, I simply don't care for him, but that really showed more about him to the average watcher I think.

FEDEXP
07-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Ah, sorry to interrupt the party but Federer won the match yesterday. And Nadal himself said, post-match, that the knee was/is not an issue.

edmondsm
07-09-2007, 12:18 PM
I'm not particularly a fan of either, I just always rooted for Fed because I couldn't stand Nadal. It's hard to not like him after performances like the one we were all treated to the last two weeks. What a fighter. Hopefully he finds a way to win some of the other slams, he deserves them.

crazylevity
07-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Nadal earned respect. But if I never become a Nadal fan, it'll be because of fans like you, Attila. YOU need to earn some respect. Not Nadal. He's left it all on the court,

veritech
07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
i've always been a nadal fan. it's just hard to tell because there are so many nadal trolls on this forum, it makes it hard to like him.

Morrissey
07-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Has the tide finally turned? Are you a now a Nadal fan? Can you:

FEEL THE FIRE!

Bah! Attila you're asking the right question to the wrong people. In here it's Nadal hater/Fed fanboy grounds. Admittedly there are good fans (Shabazza, BigServer, OrangeOne, Heavy Metal Tennis Star), but too few to make any significant change in here.

Morrissey
07-09-2007, 12:38 PM
i've always been a nadal fan. it's just hard to tell because there are so many nadal trolls on this forum, it makes it hard to like him.

I could've have written exactly what you wrote but replace Nadal with Federer.

bammbamm
07-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I like both players but Fed won so there is no Tide Turning quite yet so not so fast.

Morrissey
07-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Gotta agree with that. Definitely believe Nadal won a lot more fans through his play, and unfortunate he had the knee difficulties because I really thing he would have won. The time taken for treatment allowed Fed to regroup because he was really looking bad.

I think people more question Fed's potential GOAT label though he took the trophy, because it looked to me (and he's done it before) that when he is winning easily, he is congenial and gracious yes, but when someone is getting the better of him, he turned quite petulant and almost fractious as if, how dare someone?!.

Really gave a frown to me. I never root for or against Fed, I simply don't care for him, but that really showed more about him to the average watcher I think.

I think you hit on something there. He almost seemed like a boy who always got the toys he wanted but couldn't get the one he wanted and became almost "pouty" about it. Especially on that changeover. But he really came up big on those 4 break points on his serve in the 5th set. He then took advantage of the rare Nadal letdown after saving his breakpoints. He won the match when he saved those breakpoints.

InvisibleSoul
07-09-2007, 12:44 PM

Nadal may have gained some fans, but please explain (I'm sure in your highly illogical ways) how Federer managed to lose "a lot of fans" yesterday.

sramirez77
07-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Ah, sorry to interrupt the party but Federer won the match yesterday. And Nadal himself said, post-match, that the knee was/is not an issue.

Of course he is going to say that!! Nadal is a classy player and did not want to take anything away from Federer's win. But we all saw his serving suffer and his ability to run down shots decrease dramatically after the injury. Federer is a great champion but Nadal is just about to catch him. He is one of the most successful 21 year olds ever and it is only a matter of time before he is recognized as one of the greatest ever.

sramirez77
07-09-2007, 12:49 PM

I have to agree with this. Case in point; refusing the interview after RG. I don't dislike Federer but he could be a bit more gracious when things get tough.

Attila the tennis Bum
07-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Nadal may have gained some fans, but please explain (I'm sure in your highly illogical ways) how Federer managed to lose "a lot of fans" yesterday.

just look at the poll results.

Attila the tennis Bum
07-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with this. Case in point; refusing the interview after RG. I don't dislike Federer but he could be a bit more gracious when things get tough.

I think of he had lost that he would have had a nervous breakdown and retired as Borg did.

fgs
07-09-2007, 01:37 PM
attila,
with all due respect i think you think you're thinking too much.

OrangeOne
07-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Nadal did win. He showed Roger how real men play tennis. How did you like how Roger changed into that outfit for the awards?? wasn't that cute? And did you see that gay gillete commercial....omg.

Roger had the better serve that day and I believe that Rafa was injured....but in any event....I think Roger was completely outplayed.

The above sounds a little delusional / trolling. Can you not be a little more equitable? Clearly not, I guess. Roger can wear what he wants to the presentation (as long as it's white), just like Nadal can wear what he wants too. Can you not see that such diversity is good for the sport we love? Non-tennis fans who like tennis a bit are important for our sport, and we have 'poster-boys' for our sport who appeal to both the younger and older, the louder and quiter audience at the top of our sport. It's a good thing.

For the record: There once was a player who dressed, in his early years, much more outlandishly than Nadal does. He turned into an all-time great, and in his later years he dressed quite like Federer does. Every heard of Agassi? Ever heard of maturing with age?

Because Nadal is a player who, when interviewed, is gracious and respectable. To blame an injury is simply not sportsmanlike.

It's hard to not like him after performances like the one we were all treated to the last two weeks. What a fighter. Hopefully he finds a way to win some of the other slams, he deserves them.

That last 4 or 5 day run is exceptionally impressive and something for him to be proud of for some time.

YOU need to earn some respect. Not Nadal. He's left it all on the court,

Very true. Both players act with far more grace and respect-earning behaviour than many of their fans on here.

I think you hit on something there. He almost seemed like a boy who always got the toys he wanted but couldn't get the one he wanted and became almost "pouty" about it. Especially on that changeover.

I agree Morissey, but I will say that many who criticize Fed indeed seem to want to see him get a bit 'fighter', a bit 'down and dirty', and this was a bit of that side on show. Given what it brought out in the 5th, I'm ok with it.

But he really came up big on those 4 break points on his serve in the 5th set. He then took advantage of the rare Nadal letdown after saving his breakpoints. He won the match when he saved those breakpoints.If there was a Funky t-shirt developed from the match, it'd focus on "15-40" I think, because his play from that score, twice, was outstanding. We twice got to see the measure of the man, and he delivered there (and on the big break-point from memory too). Going into the 5th - we knew that Nadal would fight, and we weren't sure about Fed. There's little higher in terms of 'badge of honour' in tennis right now than beating Nadal over 5, and Fed managed it, albeit only just.

I think of he had lost that he would have had a nervous breakdown and retired as Borg did.

Nadal without the FO (esp. losing it to Fed) would have been damaging for him, and Fed without W (esp. losing it to Nadal) is a very big deal too.

Attila the tennis Bum
08-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Holy [k]rap!!! Nadal beat out Federer!!!!!!!!!!

Voltron
08-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I just added the poll. vote. I have decided to pass, too bad for you.

Attila the tennis Bum
08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
I have decided to pass, too bad for you.

:confused: .................................................. ..................................

Big Fed
08-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Fed still my boi. Gotta a little more respect for the monkey doe.

xtremerunnerars
08-07-2007, 06:41 PM
If he does well at the US open I'll respect him.

tennis_hand
08-07-2007, 06:43 PM
what is so great about Nadal that makes me turn?

I respect his abilities and competitiveness, but making me turn is probably beyond what he has now.

Dimonator133
08-07-2007, 06:50 PM
what did people think about Federer putting four swiss flags on his shoes symbolizing his 4 Wimbledon titles heading into this year's event?

KBalla08
08-07-2007, 06:56 PM
i dont really want to see either win... but im more of a federer fan than nadal...

Attila the tennis Bum
08-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Fed still my boi. Gotta a little more respect for the monkey doe.

Well then the tide has turned. A year ago it would not have even been close....now Fed barely leads Nadal.

coloskier
08-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Well then the tide has turned. A year ago it would not have even been close....now Fed barely leads Nadal.

I like them both, but the operative word that you said is that Federer still leads Nadal. If Nadal beats Federer on any Grand Slam but clay, then Nadal will have my vote. Clay is what you get underneath when someone screws up and accidentally pulls the top off the hard court or grass.

Eviscerator
08-08-2007, 08:25 AM
I just added the poll. vote.

:roll:

As usual your poll choices leave a lot to be desired so I will not participate.

Attila the tennis Bum
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
:roll:

As usual your poll choices leave a lot to be desired so I will not participate.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!