PDA

View Full Version : Bartoli's long term prospects?

bluetrain4
07-09-2007, 10:55 AM
From what I saw of her game, I really liked it. Controlled power, good angles, good competitor.

I think she can make more runs at Slams, but can also see her being upset early from time to time. She's already No. 11 and I can see her anywhere from 7-20 for the next few years.

So, I don't predict a lot of SFs and finals of Slams, but more than a few runs to the QFs and 4th Rnd, with maybe the occasional SF here or there, assuming she stays healthy.

Stinkdyr
07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Hard to believe she really trains at all hard. She is carrying around a ton of extra chunk. Needs to start running miles.

Mike_z
07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Her ground strokes and placement are fantastic , but she cannot chase down balls, and that will prevent her from being a champion...unless things change.

consigliere
07-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Cant you discuss Bartoli without mentioning the weight issue. She's got an extra pound or two and since she's an athlete they're easy to shed.

Now that she's reached the final with the "extra weight", a lot of female players are might gulp down pasta and italian food since a little extra pound seems to work.

superstition
07-09-2007, 11:21 AM
If she loses the weight, gains muscle, and gets a better serve, she could be top 10 material and maybe even win a major. Her first serve percentage in the final was not acceptable and her second serve is a marshmallow. She also double-faulted. She needs to add better movement to her game, and needs to be able to hit topspin sometimes. It's not a good idea to only show up with a single gameplan. She should add more variety.

superstition
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Cant you discuss Bartoli without mentioning the weight issue.
No, because that's her biggest problem right now. Venus was light and fit and moved around the court like a gazelle.

consigliere
07-09-2007, 11:26 AM
No, because that's her biggest problem right now..

If that "problem" made her defeat some of the best players around ( dementieva, jankovic, Henin...) and reach the wimbledon final, a lot of other player are going to want this "problem" to happen to them.

superstition
07-09-2007, 11:30 AM
She was clearly exhausted in the final and Venus' movement was twice as good. Every extra pound of body fat makes a big impact on a person's stamina and movement. People worry so much about an ounce or a 1/2 in a tennis racquet but don't seem to think about pounds of body fat that also has to be moved around.

consigliere
07-09-2007, 11:33 AM
She was clearly exhausted in the final and Venus' movement was twice as good. Every extra pound of body fat makes a big impact on a person's stamina and movement.

A lot of thin female players get exhausted after a match or two in a GS tournament, so after battling through 3 set high quality matches against Henin and Jankovic, who wouldnt be exhausted ?

superstition
07-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Venus, most likely.

It's possible that she would have been able to put more matches away in two sets if her fitness was better. The bottom line is that, yes, thin players can get tired. But, slim players with a conditioned cardiovascular system and enough body muscle are going to last longer than someone who is overweight.

consigliere
07-09-2007, 11:49 AM
I could go on, but you know what, ****in' forget it.

superstition
07-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Good idea. No amount of arguing will change the laws of physics. When one adds mass, it takes more force to get the object in motion and more force to get an object to move as quickly as an object with less mass. Every pound of body fat becomes a hindrance. The heart has to work harder to pump blood through the extra tissue as well. One thing extra mass does, though, is give a person more stability. Marion's game may benefit somewhat from her extra mass given the way she tries to redirect balls quickly. But, her wrist was injured by Venus' serving, which points to a more significant issue with stability upon impact.

fps
07-09-2007, 01:11 PM
I think she won because players underestimated her, and can't see her having that kind of run again.

prince
07-09-2007, 01:37 PM
i felt it was just a lucky streak for her at wimby .
im not fond of the two hander off both sides as well.
i hope the best for her though.

obow
07-09-2007, 01:48 PM
The weather at Wimbledon this year also helped Bartoli, the rain and damp conditions made the ball less bouncier and therefore her flat shots more effective.

I watched her match against Jankovic, and I wasn't too surprised by her semi-final win (also watched the game on TV). Actually, Bartoli didn't play very well in the final, especially her serves fell apart. Normally, her 1st serve percentage is around 75% and she rarely gives away a double-fault. But in the final, the service really let her down, otherwise she would had given Williams more troubles.

superstition
07-09-2007, 01:52 PM
i felt it was just a lucky streak for her at wimby .
im not fond of the two hander off both sides as well.
i hope the best for her though.
Not a Seles fan, eh?

consigliere
07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
No amount of arguing will change the laws of physics. When one adds mass, it takes more force to get the object in motion and more force to get an object to move as quickly as an object with less mass. Every pound of body fat becomes a hindrance. The heart has to work harder to pump blood through the extra tissue as well. One thing extra mass does, though, is give a person more stability.

uh, okay.......

J-man
07-09-2007, 02:35 PM
She sure can strke the ball but she can't move wroth a lick. Keep the ball in the middle of the court and your in trouble. But side to side and out of her strike zone and she's toast

angelsdemons8600
07-09-2007, 04:46 PM
She is pretty much the modern Monica Seles. She must get faster and beef up her serve. I think those are the only two things she really needs to work at. Monica was pretty weak in the movement department but she did make an effort to get the extra power on her serve.

I expect Bartoli to do the same and I would love to see her in the top10. She strikes the ball very nicely.