PDA

View Full Version : Bjorn Borg's graciousness toward Federer

krosero
07-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Borg was so gracious about Federer's win that I was reminded of something that the Swede said after breaking Henri Cochet's record at Roland Garros in 1980. This is from the NY Times:

The victory enabled Borg to surpass the record of Henri Cochet, who won four championships since the tournament became international in 1925. Cochet, now 78 years old, presented Borg with the winner’s trophy today. Asked if the former champion had any congratulatory remarks, Borg said: “Well, he didn’t look too happy. He said, ‘Well done,’ that’s all.I don't post this to denigrate Cochet, who may have been short on the victory stand for reasons unknown. I just thought this little story gave a window into Borg's own character. For him, it seems, you should be gracious when your records are overtaken.

CyBorg
07-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Tennis isn't Borg's life. If it was he wouldn't have retired so early.

To Cochet, his records clearly meant everything and that stands for many more guys as well - Connors in particular. They live and relive their experiences, while other guys simply move on. Borg moved on - before this year he was at the all-England club only once (in 2000) since the 81 loss to Mac.

Says a lot about Borg's character and his attitude towards life.

Moose Malloy
07-09-2007, 11:23 AM
So why did Borg call Federer in 2001 to congratulate him when he prevented Sampras from equaling Borg's 5 straight W's? Doesn't sound like gracious behavior to me, I wonder if Sampras knows that.

Since Borg attended Wimbledon this year, he basically had to be gracious about this(while in 2001, he was nowhere near Wimbledon, so he couldn't be interviewed), but deep down inside this is the most important record to him, I doubt he was really pleased that Federer won. Alltime greats in any sport have to have an absurdly competitive streak, you can't just put that behind you when you retire, for the most part.

Borg moved on - before this year he was at the all-England club only once (in 2000) since the 81 loss to Mac.

Borg did commentary for NBC at 1983 Wimbledon.

hoosierbr
07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Borg's phone call to Fed in 2001 has been described as only half serious by Borg and Roger himself. Maybe he wasn't ready to have his record broken yet, I don't know.

Since he's now turned 50 maybe he's gotten a new perspective on things and was prepared to accept his record being equaled. After all, Borg did reach six consecutive finals so if Fed loses before the final next year that part of his record will still be in tact.

Interesting to hear Borg say time and again that he's happy it's Roger breaking his record because he's such a nice guy. Maybe he didn't feel Sampras was such a nice guy?

prince
07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
deep inside he must be feeling bad ....

AJK1
07-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Federer has equalled, not broken Borg's record.

BounceHitBounceHit
07-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Federer has equalled, not broken Borg's record.

So true...............we will have to wait just under 12 months for that to occur............... ;) CC

BounceHitBounceHit
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
BTW, I loved Borg back in the day and was very happy to see him looking healthy and happy. It was very gracious of him to respond the way he did to Fed tying his record. I hope he will stay involved in tennis. CC

CyBorg
12-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Borg did commentary for NBC at 1983 Wimbledon.

I'm pretty sure it was for the French Open, no?

Sorry for the stupid bump.

Tennis-Chris
12-03-2007, 09:12 PM
In his book McEnroe referenced Borg growing up in tennis and how his father would make him sit for unsportsmanlike conduct. Mac always referred to Borg as a class act and Borg displayed that in his actions toward Federer.:mrgreen:

caulcano
12-04-2007, 04:21 AM
Do you think Borg will be at Wimbledon in 2008 to see if Federer can surpass his record?

Moose Malloy
12-04-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm pretty sure it was for the French Open, no?

Sorry for the stupid bump.

It was both(both were on NBC)

He really didn't have much to add, was very quiet.