PDA

View Full Version : Predict the rest of the year

CyBorg
07-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Here's what I see happening .. It's Nadal or Federer the rest of the way.

Montreal .. Nadal over Murray .. 3 sets
- Roger looks sluggish again and goes out in the qf, losing to, uh, let's say Hewitt .. an extremely determined Nadal faces a surprise finalist in Murray who looks rejuvenated all of a sudden .. Nadal last won in Montreal two years ago.

Cincinnati .. Federer over Berdych .. 2 sets
- Roger finally gets his act together, while Rafa loses a bit of steam and is eliminated somewhere along the way by, uh, David Nalbandian .. Roger looks zoned in the entire time and doesn't lose a set.

US Open .. Federer over Djokovic .. 4 sets
- Roger's backhand rules as he loses only his second set of the tournament to Djoko, after dropping one to Nicolas Mahut in week one .. Rafa makes it to the semi, but none of the balls go above his waist, causing him to net many returns - he goes down to Djoko in four sets.

Madrid .. Nadal over Federer .. 2 sets
- Aided by the home crowd and hungry for revenge, Rafa dominates Roger, winning the first set tiebreak and then taking a lopsided second set .. Roger angrily destroys the shotspot machine and ruins his haircut .. after losing in round one of the US Open, Marcos Baghdatis shows up without a beard... and goes down in round two.

Paris-Bercy .. Federer over Djokovic .. 2 sets
- Feeling major pressure in the ATP rankings from Nadal, Roger feels good again about himself, dominating on the fast carpet .. Nadal struggles his way to the QF where he loses to, uh, I don't know, Ivan Ljubicic.

Shanghai .. Federer over Nadal .. I don't recall if this is a best of-3 or 5...
- Tight match with perhaps the ATP points lead on the line .. Roger finishes perhaps his last year as the #1 ranked player in the world .. uncle Tony smiles deviously in anticipation of the Aussie open.

pro_staff
07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
It's not Shanghai anymore. It's London now. And whatever the name they decided it to be...You can search for it. It should be all over the boards.

ferocious4hand
07-09-2007, 02:51 PM
The year end Championship is still in Shanghai, they move to London in '08

ACE of Hearts
07-09-2007, 02:52 PM
I think the U.S Open will be hard for Roger this year.I hope he gets to the finals once again.I can see him getting challenged.If he does it and wins it, he would have won 4 wimbledons and 4 U.S Opens, very impressive.

omniexist
07-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Joker seems to be the 3rd best player in the world. He gave Nadal fits for 1 set in Wimby. As HC is the worst surface for Nadal and Joker's best..

I see Joker and Fed in the U.S. Open final.

ACE of Hearts
07-09-2007, 03:01 PM
I can see Nadal catching up if he wins the Aussie Open next year but they are changing their surface, did u forget that?Nadal has a shot at wimbledon now, after watching yesterday's match, the surface is just not the same anymore.

MoFed
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
It depends on how Roger comes back from his minivaction. If he comes back playing like he has the last couple of summers he'll be tough to beat. But if his forehand is still producing unforced errors then it will hard for him. Nadal has not yet proved himself on the summer hardcourts for me to believe that he is a credible threat. He has been a much better player this year than last. The second half of the year he ran out of gas big time so it will be interesting to see if that happens again this year.

I do expect Roger to come back and win Montreal and the Open. I don't think that Cincy will too much of a priority in winning considering it's proximity to Montreal.

fastdunn
07-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Federer said Nadal improved a lot. I take Federer's assessment as darn
accurate because he is #1 and knows what's going on.

So I expect Nadal collects much improved points in hard court seasons.

I also have high expectation on Gasquet for the rest of seasons.

I don't think Djokovic has much to defend for the rest of seasons since
he started to get hot beginning of the year. His ranking points could go
over 4000 and distant himself from the rest of top 10...

anointedone
07-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Montreal - Federer over Gasquet 2 sets.

Cincinnati - Federer over Gonzalez 2 sets

US Open - Federer over Djokovic 4 sets

Madrid - Federer over Nadal 4 sets

Paris-Bercy - Gonzalez over Youzhny 4 sets. Will be event for second tier players as big guns all withdraw...again

Shanghai - Federer over Djokovic 3 sets

AM28143
07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
I think Federer will win the US Open. Nadal is still not a great hard court player (as he is on grass) and Djokovic is still too young and unexperienced to win a grand slam. And besides Nadal and Djokovic Federer has no challengers. Therefore, he will win.

veritech
07-09-2007, 04:08 PM
if the hardcourts play faster than the courts at wimbledon (as said on this forum), it would make sense that roger would have more success in the 2nd half of the year.

West Coast Ace
07-09-2007, 04:50 PM
The year end Championship is still in Shanghai, they move to London in '08No, but you're closer than he is - '09 will be the first in London.

The final of the Masters Cup was 3 out of 5 last year (all other matches 2 out of 3). Not sure if they're changing it this year, like the Hamburg/Rome finals.

To the topic. A lot of Fed holding trophies, including the USO after only losing 1 set along the way; Rafa having a better 2nd half than last year; and another unlikely winner in Madrid or Paris - I'll pick Safin just for giggles.

CyBorg
07-09-2007, 04:53 PM
I can see Nadal catching up if he wins the Aussie Open next year but they are changing their surface, did u forget that?Nadal has a shot at wimbledon now, after watching yesterday's match, the surface is just not the same anymore.

They're changing the surface at AO in 08?

Andres
07-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Paris-Bercy - Gonzalez over Youzhny 4 sets. Will be event for second tier players as big guns all withdraw...again
Gonzalez, on the ultrafast carpet of Paris?
Nah, I have to disagree.
Ljubicic, Berdych, or Safin. Of course, that's only if Fed doesn't show up.

I'd like to see how Karlovic goes in Paris. That taraflex does marvel to his attacking game ;)

tennishead93
07-09-2007, 06:01 PM
roddick wins usopen

anointedone
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
roddick wins usopen

Is he entering the ladies event. :p Even then the Williams might overpower him if he has an off serving day.