PDA

View Full Version : Drysdale's comments about Rafa

sramirez77
07-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Has anyone else noticed the Cliff Drysdale seems to be incredibly biased against Rafael Nadal? At first I thought it was me since I am admittedly a big Nadal fan. But the more I hear, the more I think Drysdale just doesn't like the guy. During the 4th round, when asked if Nadal (at 21 years old!) would EVER win Wimbledon, he responded with an emphatic NO; and said nothing more. Then I read about him saying how lucky Nadal was that Djokovic and Youzhny were not at 100% or he would not have made the final. Now I just read a quote where he said that he does not feel that Nadal will ever make slam finals with any consistency. And these are only the ones that I heard!! Fans can be biased, but I would think an announcer/analyst should be a bit more neutral in his public comments.

MoFed
07-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Really, wasn't he and Mc commentating during the Final match. I thought their comments were very much in favor of Nadal.

TennisandMusic
07-09-2007, 01:32 PM
Wouldn't surprise me. He gushes about Federer.

ShcMad
07-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Really, wasn't he and Mc commentating during the Final match. I thought their comments were very much in favor of Nadal.

Nah, that was Ted Robinson and Mac.

tlm
07-09-2007, 01:42 PM
I always felt that he liked Rafa.

Chopin
07-09-2007, 01:45 PM

No that wasn't Cliff with J-Mac, that was Ted Robinson (who, should not be commenting tennis at all--many well-spoken teaching pros would provide better commentary). BTW, I thought the commentary was so bad during the final! It was embarassing. They talked about Nadal the entire match and made it sound like Federer was playing poorly, when in fact, he was playing well.

But even more than that (and I mean much more)--they never shut up! They talk during the points, saying the most dramatic things possible. I'm not sure about others, but the match itself is dramatic enough, I don't need Ted Robinson saying something like, "Look, I've never seen Nadal look this sad." (He did say something similar.) And J-Mac knows the game well (obviously) but he repeats himself and talks too much as well.

Basically every single announcer at NBC & ESPN has a ton to learn from some of the BBC and Tennis Channel announcers, who know the game well, avoid ridiculous melodrama, and most importantly, know when to stop speaking.

Someone should write a letter to NBC (though I'm sure others have).

sramirez77
07-09-2007, 02:42 PM
I always felt that he liked Rafa.

Maybe it was a coincidence that I heard the comments that I did. Just seemed like an awful lot of negative statements in a very short period of time!

anointedone
07-09-2007, 02:57 PM
John McEnroe is too biased for Nadal, and Cliff Drysdale is too biased against him. Basically most top players have commentators that way for you or against you. It works out fine as it evens out.

John was right in a way. Federer didnt look to be playing that well for him in the final outside the serve. However they were too hard on him and it almost came like bashing. However when you win as many slams as him you are held to a higher standard.

mileslong
07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
At first I thought it was me since I am admittedly a big Nadal fan.you could just stop there...

Chopin
07-09-2007, 04:55 PM
John McEnroe is too biased for Nadal, and Cliff Drysdale is too biased against him. Basically most top players have commentators that way for you or against you. It works out fine as it evens out.

John was right in a way. Federer didnt look to be playing that well for him in the final outside the serve. However they were too hard on him and it almost came like bashing. However when you win as many slams as him you are held to a higher standard.

That's reasonable. I think Nadal's game is awkward for Federer so he sometimes is forced to play a little differently than we're accustomed to seeing him play. But that being said, I'm not convinced that both players weren't playing very high quality tennis and that Federer was playing great tennis in the 1st and 3rd sets (holding serves easily) and dominating the big points in the tie-break and the 5th set (holding his nerves on the break points and then raising his game to the max in the last 4 games) and that Mac's commentary didn't do this justice until the very end of the match. But more importantly, the endless chatter and melodrama needs to go.

tennishead93
07-09-2007, 04:59 PM
hes mean to roddick to. you know his favorite player is fed. and consistency, hello nadal has won the fo 3 yrs in a row, something that only borg has been able to achieve.

anointedone
07-09-2007, 05:02 PM
That's reasonable. I think Nadal's game is awkward for Federer so he sometimes is forced to play a little differently than we're accustomed to seeing him play. But that being said, I'm not convinced that both players weren't playing very high quality tennis and that Federer was playing great tennis in the 1st and 3rd sets (holding serves easily) and dominating the big points in the tie-break and the 5th set (holding his nerves on the break points and then raising his game to the max in the last 4 games) and that Mac's commentary didn't do this justice until the very end of the match. But more importantly, the endless chatter and melodrama needs to go.

Agree on all counts. John and Mary seem to like listening to themselves speak, and sometimes even go into little off track conversations about the old days while others are watching the match. It becomes pathetic at times.

They also are hard on you when you are the player they pick to win. That is why in the U.S Open semis and final with Sharapova playing Mauresmo and Henin, they tried to point out anything Sharpova wasnt doing perfectly, even pretending she was capable of more then she really is, while not pointing out anything Mauresmo and Henin did wrong when they were in fact the ones struggling much more to find their usual games that day. When Sharapova played a poor game to drop serve early in the final with Henin they bellowed how nervous she was, how she wasnt herself, etc....then when Henin plays a lame duck game to gift Sharapova the break back, they just say Sharapova has settled down, and that it was a great break back game even though it was all mistakes by Henin.

It is the same with Federer, since they pick him to win almost any match, even the French Open final they pick him to win before it starts. So they dont want their pick to be let down so they hold him to a ridiculously high standard.