PDA

View Full Version : Russia Fed Cup captain says denied U.S. visa

Zverev
07-09-2007, 02:53 PM
http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_TENNIS/idUKL096427920070709?pageNumber=1

MOSCOW, July 9 (Reuters) - Russia's tennis chief said on Monday he had been denied a U.S. visa to accompany his team for this week's Fed Cup semi-final against the United States and accused authorities of hampering his team's preparations.

"I should be with my team getting ready to face a strong U.S. team," Russia Fed Cup captain and Russian Tennis Federation president Shamil Tarpishchev told Reuters.

"Instead, I'm sitting here in Moscow unable to do anything."

A spokesperson for the U.S. embassy in Moscow said Tarpishchev's application was being processed by U.S. authorities in Washington.

"We are well aware of his need to travel in the next few days," the spokesperson said.

Russia take on the United States on July 14-15 in Vermont.

Tarpishchev, who is also a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), said he had been hoping to fly to the United States from Guatemala, where the IOC held its annual session last week.
"It's a two-hour flight from Guatemala to the U.S., so it could have been ideal to go straight to the States," he said.

"Instead, I had to spent 12 hours flying back to Moscow and then if I do get a U.S. visa in the next few days I must make the same long trip back to America.

"Our players are already in the States but we don't have any coaches there to help them. That's nonsense," he added. "I'm going to inform the International Tennis Federation because this is against any international norms of fair competition."

Tarpishchev said his visa problems had been going on for the past decade and that he thought he might be on some sort of black list because he had in the past been accused of having links to the Russian mafia, a charge he denies.

"He has applied for a visa ... that application is still pending and under review," U.S. State Department spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters in Washington, adding he could not say more because of the confidentiality of visa applications.

C_Urala
07-09-2007, 08:49 PM
"democracy" in all its glory...

Max G.
07-10-2007, 02:34 PM
"democracy" in all its glory...

I don't think this has anything to do with democracy... maybe you mean bureaucracy?

simi
07-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Awful, if true. Should have traveled with the team to Ottawa, Toronto, or Montreal for match practice and preparation. Not all that far from Vermont. Let's hope the visa delay doesn't unfairly prejudice their team.

tenis
07-10-2007, 03:07 PM
This Is Sick!!!

Zverev
07-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Well, it's getting sickier by the minute...check this out

Russia want Fed Cup tie v U.S. moved to neutral venue
MOSCOW, July 10 (Reuters) - Russia's Fed Cup captain has asked the International Tennis Federation (ITF) to move this week's semi-final against the United States to a neutral country after being unable to accompany his team to a U.S. venue.
"The ITF regulations stipulate that a host country cannot deny entry to any official member of the visiting team," Shamil Tarpishchev told Reuters on Tuesday
"The Americans always like to talk about human rights and democracy but they are the first ones to deny others the same rights," Tarpishchev said.
.................................................. ....
Tarpishchev said he had sent a complaint to the U.S. Olympic Committee and the IOC. "
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6769774,00.html

Shame....

SoBad
07-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Shame yeah, if this were about Davis Cup, it would qualify as a scandal.

C_Urala
07-12-2007, 03:25 AM
ITF refused to move the match to a neutral territory, saying that would be a bad precedent.

He got his visa and will be present at the match. But of course, the preparation has been spoiled.

To Max.G.
Of course, it's bureaucracy.. That's why I put that word in quotes.

J-man
07-12-2007, 03:47 AM
The waiting list for Visa's is long. It' sad to see him not be able to get one. Then they use the sorry excuse about Russian Mafia ties

C_Urala
07-12-2007, 03:54 AM
usually they don't bother to make any excuse at all.

But he has got the visa.

sondraj
07-12-2007, 05:50 AM
Well, it's getting sickier by the minute...check this out

Russia want Fed Cup tie v U.S. moved to neutral venue
MOSCOW, July 10 (Reuters) - Russia's Fed Cup captain has asked the International Tennis Federation (ITF) to move this week's semi-final against the United States to a neutral country after being unable to accompany his team to a U.S. venue.
"The ITF regulations stipulate that a host country cannot deny entry to any official member of the visiting team," Shamil Tarpishchev told Reuters on Tuesday
"The Americans always like to talk about human rights and democracy but they are the first ones to deny others the same rights," Tarpishchev said.
.................................................. ....
Tarpishchev said he had sent a complaint to the U.S. Olympic Committee and the IOC. "
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/breakingnews/feedstory/0,,-6769774,00.html

Shame....

Wow really ask the millions of foreigners who come over here every year if they feel the same way. get over yourself it's freaking tennis, it's not like the gov't is denying refugees access to our shores. People really need to get some perspective about america. They take and take from it and as soon as they don't get their way about the tiniest thing they have a fit. America's relationship with the rest of the world is like an abusive marriage.

Marius_Hancu
07-12-2007, 05:57 AM
He's got it now:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AhX3RKvJ.2ikYLusBVSDZkc4v7YF?slug=ap-fedcup-russiancaptain-visa&prov=ap&type=lgns

jelle v
07-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Wow really ask the millions of foreigners who come over here every year if they feel the same way. get over yourself it's freaking tennis, it's not like the gov't is denying refugees access to our shores. People really need to get some perspective about america. They take and take from it and as soon as they don't get their way about the tiniest thing they have a fit. America's relationship with the rest of the world is like an abusive marriage.

I agree.. America is a very abusive marriage partner...also the marriage never was out of free will.. it was a forced marriage..

On the other hand.. as a country (it's not really a country of course) hte Us have a very short (violent) history, so the US could be seen as a young child in its teener years. That actually explains a lot of America's behaviour.

sondraj
07-12-2007, 06:20 AM
I agree.. America is a very abusive marriage partner...also the marriage never was out of free will.. it was a forced marriage..

On the other hand.. as a country (it's not really a country of course) hte Us have a very short (violent) history, so the US could be seen as a young child in its teener years. That actually explains a lot of America's behaviour.

I agree a lot of it is not asked for on behave of other countries, but the funny thing is when ever another country is in trouble who do they expect to bail them out. And when or if we don't then we are the big bad evils for not stepping in to give aid. so either way can't win

jelle v
07-12-2007, 06:29 AM
I agree a lot of it is not asked for on behave of other countries, but the funny thing is when ever another country is in trouble who do they expect to bail them out. And when or if we don't then we are the big bad evils for not stepping in to give aid. so either way can't win

Well.. there is such a thing as the UN. When one country is attacked, then other countries have a duty to help out. America is a country with probably the biggest army in the world.

And ofcourse, when America helps a country when the UN is not involveld, it only helps when it is in their advantage (oil, democracy), so I don't think America should be seen as "the big rescuer" of the rest of the world.

Fact is that America does what America wants.. I find America to be very, very selfish.

sondraj
07-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Well.. there is such a thing as the UN. When one country is attacked, then other countries have a duty to help out. America is a country with probably the biggest army in the world.

And ofcourse, when America helps a country when the UN is not involveld, it only helps when it is in their advantage (oil, democracy), so I don't think America should be seen as "the big rescuer" of the rest of the world.

Fact is that America does what America wants.. I find America to be very, very selfish.

Of course you do while benefiting from us. and to say that a country doesn't look out for the best interest of it's country is very naive. Of course we do, we don't have a UE to to catch our asses when we fall.

It's just america we're not apart of UA (united america)

And the big rescuer of the world, Instead of condemning the country that helps you be thankful you have some one to rescue you.

And when the UN takes 10 years to decide to help guess who everyone is expecting to come to the aid

J-man
07-12-2007, 01:30 PM
usually they don't bother to make any excuse at all.

But he has got the visa.Well with the US goverment you never know

Chadwixx
07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Well.. there is such a thing as the UN. When one country is attacked, then other countries have a duty to help out.

Your kidding right? The un has done what about iran?

Or do you think public executions of homosexuals and other behavior like this is acceptable? Nuclear capabilities are almost there and that guy already said he is going to put isreal back into sea when they are ready.

simi
07-12-2007, 06:34 PM
contents of this post deleted.

Andrew
07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
In our defense, it's not like Russia greets people from other countries with open arms.

TENNIS_99
07-12-2007, 07:14 PM
I won't be surprised if the person who handles the case never heard about Fed cup let alone realizes how good this Russian team is. That's ok I think. Really shouldn't take that personally. As long as the appealling system is working, all is fine. Dealing with people who don't know you, you can get upset or explain until he understands, and it works for both sides, Americans or non-Americans.

C_Urala
07-12-2007, 10:46 PM
And the big rescuer of the world, Instead of condemning the country that helps you be thankful you have some one to rescue you.

And when the UN takes 10 years to decide to help guess who everyone is expecting to come to the aid

"Big rescuer of the world".. You've got too high an opinion of the US. The world is already sees the US as the biggest threat.

SoBad
07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
This is late Yeltsin's personal tennis coach and friend that we are talking about. Anyone attributing any of this nonsense to "bureaucracy" is delusional.

C_Urala
07-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Anyone attributing his problems with visa not to "bureaucracy" but to his being "Yeltsin's personal tennis coach and friend" is idiotic.

Zverev
07-14-2007, 04:03 AM
I wonder if Tarpishchev is indeed "blacklisted" or whatever they call it.
My reasoning was that all Russian players needed visa and they obviously got it on time, but Tarpishchev didn't get it. So that's why he's so ****sed off.

Maybe Russians should delay MacEnroe visa to Russia...just for fun.
Ah, good old days....