PDA

View Full Version : What's with Justine Henin?

bluetrain4
07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
Half the time she's all steely resolve and compeitive fire.

Half the time she's a shrinking violet who loses her aggresiveness in big matches.

In the 6 Slam finals she won, she beat mental midget Clijsters 3 times, and she beat Kusnetsova, Ivanovic, and Mary Pierce, all good players, but hardly the best of the best.

That said, she has beat all the top player at a Slam, just not in the final.

All of her Slam losses are to the game's top players (Mauresmo, Venus, Sharapova).

Given that she's accomplished so much, I just find it hard to believe that she could completely go away against Bartoli, all credit to Bartoli of course.

babySuri
07-09-2007, 07:27 PM
there was a storm cloud hovering over the player's box and it blocked her view of her coach so she couldn't get any coaching at all during the 3rd set of the bartoli match. poor thing didn't know what the heck to do. tsk tsk.

pirateofthecarribean
07-09-2007, 07:31 PM
What a cheater! Looks up at her coach after every point. She deserved to lose.

Feņa14
07-09-2007, 07:33 PM
That's womens tennis for you :)

When you see the quality of tennis and mental strength that goes on in the big mens matches it really puts the WTA to shame.

pirateofthecarribean
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM

When you see the quality of tennis and mental strength that goes on in the big mens matches it really puts the WTA to shame.

Except for the Williams sisters of course. They talk big and they win big. :D

Feņa14
07-09-2007, 07:43 PM

Absolutely, their will to win and desire is amazing to see.

It's when you get the likes of Henin and Mauresmo in the latter stages of slams where they choke under the pressure and seemingly pass on the victory to each other like a hot potato that nobody wants to touch, that's what gets to me about the womens game.

bluetrain4
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM

Weird thing is, is that the Williams have a better chance at losing early.

They tend to play to the level of their opponents.

Topaz
07-09-2007, 08:33 PM

Oh, yeah...I mean the guys are sooo mentally tough...they never choke away a two set and a break lead...

Oh, wait...

:roll:

Feņa14
07-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Oh, yeah...I mean the guys are sooo mentally tough...they never choke away a two set and a break lead...

Oh, wait...

:roll:

Take it you didn't see Roddick v Gasquet then?

Roddick didn't exactly choke, he just got outplayed by a player in the zone who went on to hit 93 winners. I don't think there is a player on the planet who could of had an answer to what Gasquet produced.

Henin on the other hand, pretty much choked it away. How many times has Mauresmo choked matches away? I could count on my fingers and toes and still not be half way towards the number! ;)

anointedone
07-09-2007, 09:39 PM
I was dissapointed in Justine. This was her big chance to win Wimbledon, and she should have atleast made it to that final with Venus and given it her all. Losing to Bartoli with a career defining opportunity like that is pretty disgusting. I am sorry but there is no other way to put it, all due respect to Bartoli but Justine......everyone in her camp must be pulling their hair out now.

Yeah last year she showed her mental toughness is maybe not what it is cracked up to be by losing 3 of her 4 slam finals to. I think an earlier poster made a good point. She never has beaten one who is both of the current real elite (Pierce, Kuznetsova, Ivanovic fall short of that), or someone who is not scared of her (Clijsters) in a slam final. Losing whenever she played a Venus, Sharapova, or Mauresmo in the final, even if they are players she can beat in other tournaments, well the latter 2 anyway. Maybe there is something to that.

Topaz
07-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Take it you didn't see Roddick v Gasquet then?

Roddick didn't exactly choke, he just got outplayed by a player in the zone who went on to hit 93 winners. I don't think there is a player on the planet who could of had an answer to what Gasquet produced.

Henin on the other hand, pretty much choked it away. How many times has Mauresmo choked matches away? I could count on my fingers and toes and still not be half way towards the number! ;)

Um, actually, that was what I was referring to...guess the sarcasm wasn't apparent.

All Roddick had to do was take care of his serve. He had TONS of chances...and that was a classic choke. Yes Virginia...the boys choke, too!

THUNDERVOLLEY
07-10-2007, 07:38 AM

Have you ever watched Murray? That clumsy goof looks to his coach...even screamed at him. Nadal has been accused of looking to Uncle Tony for help, so the women are not alone.

Feņa14
07-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Um, actually, that was what I was referring to...guess the sarcasm wasn't apparent.

All Roddick had to do was take care of his serve. He had TONS of chances...and that was a classic choke. Yes Virginia...the boys choke, too!

Roddick didn't choke lol, Gasquet was nowhere for the first couple of sets but once he started to believe he could win and his backhand started working there was only ever going to be one winner.

Have you ever watched Murray? That clumsy goof looks to his coach...even screamed at him. Nadal has been accused of looking to Uncle Tony for help, so the women are not alone.

Eh? I didn't say anything about coaching.

I replied to the original post about choking, not coaching.

downthewall
07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Henin is the bigest sore loser in history. Who quits right in the middle of a GS final? I mean seriously....Even if you are hurt... finish the darn match. give respect to the other player. In addition she also quit in the deciding doubles match for Fed cup agaisnt Italy. Funny thing is that she quit when she was losing. When she was up a set, she was injury free....:0

BiGGieStuFF
07-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Gasquet was downright scary in the last 3 sets. Hitting winners from anywhere on the court. Basically there wasn't much Roddick could do. Too bad Gasquet came back down to earth against Federer. I know Roddick's record sucks against Federer but i like to see him try.

superstition
07-10-2007, 10:52 AM
One of the greatest players in tennis history was dubbed a choker: Bill Tilden. He was so dominant that he would give away a set 6-0 and go down 0-5 in the next and come back and win a match, just to make the match more dramatic for the crowd. I think he holds the record for a winning streak.

Psychology has found that the brightest people are the ones who are the most likely to choke in pressure situations. The only thing a person can do is practice remaining calm. There's nothing particularly special about being unmoved and bland all the time. Borg was known for appearing that way, but he said he was "boiling inside" during matches.

ATXtennisaddict
07-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Bluetrain >> when was the last time you competed in a Grand Slam semifinal (other than behind your computer or TV)