PDA

View Full Version : Any way to bring back S&V?

dh003i
07-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Return to real grass (fast) at Wimbledon?

Require wooden rackets?

Maximum racket head-size?

Strings?

Other ideas?

Forehand Forever
07-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Bringing wooden racquets would make my injured shoulder cry...

It'd be sick though playing oldschool.

quest01
07-09-2007, 07:02 PM
Using faster tennis balls could be another idea.

Mad iX
07-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Get coaches to teach proper S&V techniques. Otherwise you just get more clumsy Roddick-style netplay. That guy would still get passed at the net by Gasquet even if the balls and court were faster and he was using a plastic kids' racket.

sondraj
07-09-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm not a fan of serve and volley but I'm also not a fan of the long rallies either. I think players should choose to play the net more not make it mandatory by forcing them to.

I'm also not a fan of censorship, and by forcing them to play a certain way would be censorship

saram
07-09-2007, 07:21 PM
pull out the tapes or DVD's of it and enjoy. baseline battles are here to stay...sorry.

Ronaldo
07-09-2007, 07:25 PM
pull out the tapes or DVD's of it and enjoy. baseline battles are here to stay...sorry.

Needle the balls and make these girlie-men play like a real s&v player, give em wooden paddles. Funny, Venus looked more agressive than Fed or Rafa Sunday and she weren't playing!

Zverev
07-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Why would you do that?
Modern tennis is just so beutiful.

Ronaldo
07-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Why would you do that?
Modern tennis is just so beutiful.

Must be under 30, eh?

Feņa14
07-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I like to see a mixture of styles, too much of either can get tedeous.

I think surfaces somewhere inbetween the current Wimbledon one and the one of the 1990's would mean that every style of play could be executed and we would have great variety in the game.

Another thing that needs to be done, as mentioned, is to teach kids to come to the net and to enjoy it, they seem to enjoy pounding balls from the baseline at the moment. I think it will all start with more pro's serve volleying which will encourage youngsters to do the same as their heros, so quicker balls and quicker surfaces would be the place to start.

Ronaldo
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
I like to see a mixture of styles, too much of either can get tedeous.

I think surfaces somewhere inbetween the current Wimbledon one and the one of the 1990's would mean that every style of play could be executed and we would have great variety in the game.

Another thing that needs to be done, as mentioned, is to teach kids to come to the net and to enjoy it, they seem to enjoy pounding balls from the baseline at the moment. I think it will all start with more pro's serve volleying which will encourage youngsters to do the same as their heros, so quicker balls and quicker surfaces would be the place to start.

Make em play dubs at the net. Trouble is, most can smoke the ball thru the netman.

JW10S
07-09-2007, 07:44 PM
S&V was lost when modern racquets, modern strings, and slower courts allowed players to take full swings at the ball when returning serve. Prior players just blocked or chipped returns thus allowing the server to come and volley it. That is much tougher to do these days.

But before you wax nostalgic about the lost art of S&V remember that when Pete beat Goran in their Wimbledon final that lasted hours the ball was actually only in play for less than 10 minutes.

saram
07-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Make em play dubs at the net. Trouble is, most can smoke the ball thru the netman.

Did you see Bob Bryan play singles during Davis Cup play? He stayed at the baseline....it was odd....and if I remember, he won from the baseline as well...

ACE of Hearts
07-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I am convinced that they used heavy balls yesterday as well.Its simple, speed up wimbledon!!!!!!!!

Feņa14
07-09-2007, 07:47 PM

Yeah good point, it all comes down to the modern technology and techniques that people have these days with them being able to make the passes that make volleying a very tough way to win points.

Remember the Olympic doubles final that Gonzalez and Massu won? They both stood at the back of the court and were smacking balls at the German opponents lol, the times have changed.

Ronaldo
07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I am convinced that they used heavy balls yesterday as well.Its simple, speed up wimbledon!!!!!!!!

Make em play on artificial turf

saram
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
S&V was lost when modern racquets, modern strings, and slower courts allowed players to take full swings at the ball when returning serve. Prior players just blocked or chipped returns thus allowing the server to come and volley it. That is much tougher to do these days.

But before you wax nostalgic about the lost art of S&V remember that when Pete beat Goran in their Wimbledon final that lasted hours the ball was actually only in play for less than 10 minutes.

And Pete was using the same stick as Roger. And Goran is basically using a better stick than the current Head line today. I agree--the argument about sticks is exagerated at times....

TheNatural
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
mabe if they make the court narrower but longer sv might make a comeback

saram
07-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Why do we need S&V any way? For the fans or the players' success? Tim and Taylor are not having much success with it. Do we want it for us, the viewer or the players on tour?

Bjorg changed it all when he started winning with more spin and endurance....

ElSuegro
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Why would we fans or anyone else presume to tell the pros how to play? They are the experts at choosing a strategy considering their opponents and the playing surface. Do we also want some to play chip and charge? How about baseline bashing, or counterpunching, or whatever?

I remember back in the heyday of Sampras, Rafter, Becker, Edberg, Stich, and so on. People complained that Wimbledon was just a serving contest, with no rallies. It was, but so what? The serve is one of the most important strokes in tennis. Now I guess the pendulum has swung to the other extreme, where no one is playing that way, and people complain about that too.

I just like watching tennis at the highest levels, regardless of how they choose to play.

TheNatural
07-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Mabe by getting the Woodies to open a tennis academy in Russia.

Ronaldo
07-09-2007, 08:01 PM
Mabe by getting the Woodies to open a tennis academy in Russia.

Only if they played w/woodies

Mr. Sean
07-09-2007, 08:01 PM
anyone have a tennisplayer.net membership. Apparently theres an artricle on there about the new tennis style on the rise that our new players are adopting that involves a lot of attacking the net. I dont have one so Im curious to know what the article is about.