PDA

View Full Version : Federer to make 1st Sports Illustrated Cover?

HookEmJeff
07-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Do you think Federer's 11th Slam win and fifth Wimbledon in a row will merit a Sports Illustrated cover? Amazingly, the man has not made a cover yet. Not only do they screw him on the SI Sportsman of the Year Award, they don't even put him on the cover.

That's got to change this week.

Jeff

Azzurri
07-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Do you think Federer's 11th Slam win and fifth Wimbledon in a row will merit a Sports Illustrated cover? Amazingly, the man has not made a cover yet. Not only do they screw him on the SI Sportsman of the Year Award, they don't even put him on the cover.

That's got to change this week.

Jeff

I never knew that...that is odd. Just goes to show you how self-absorbed and ridiculous SI can be. Perhaps the greatest tennis player ever and no cover....shameful.:(

BreakPoint
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
I never knew that...that is odd. Just goes to show you how self-absorbed and ridiculous SI can be. Perhaps the greatest tennis player ever and no cover....shameful.:(
Yeah, I remember McEnroe being on the cover a few times after winning Wimbledon and he never won 5 in a row. Even Borg was on the cover well before he won 5 in a row, so you can't say they only put Americans on the cover.

ElSuegro
07-09-2007, 07:38 PM
The last tennis cover I remember on SI was several years ago. Just a big tennis ball with the title "Is Tennis Dead". Shows what they think of tennis. :mad:

raiden031
07-09-2007, 07:39 PM
SI is a joke. They had some top 30 athletes of all time and I don't think any of them were tennis players. Mostly football and baseball players. Sorry but as a former football player who was pretty accomplished at the high school level, football doesn't take 1/10th what it takes to accel at tennis.

Chopin
07-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah SI is biased against tennis. ESPN the Magazine was outselling them last I heard.

armand
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Sports Illustrated is stuck in xenophobic America. And tennis was a more popular sport back in the day as well with some awesome rivalries. Federer is playing mostly against chokers who will dump serve at any sign of a lead.

This awesome match may do it though

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-09-2007, 09:59 PM
I think this goes back to show how his "image" is perceived in America. At the end of the day true tennis fans knows that the man is the best.

veritech
07-09-2007, 10:15 PM
was sampras ever on the cover?

jukka1970
07-09-2007, 10:33 PM
LOL, you mean Sports Illustrated, referred to as SI, which I've nicknamed Sport Ignorance?

I highly doubt it, which is unfortunate. The magazine sucks when it comes to any sport that isn't Baseball, Basketball, Football or Hockey. Those are the 4 that get about 90% of the magazines attention. Oh yes, and the Olympics usually get 6 pages and the cover, how nice of them. Oh and of course if you're a swimsuit model. Yes we can't forget about that important sport, God forbid.

Personally, and I've said this in another post on this topic. If I was Roger Federer and SI asked me if I wanted to be on their cover, I'd say no. And then I would say, I don't want to be on a magazine that cares so little about sports outside the big 4 (previously mentioned)

Jukka

tennis_hand
07-09-2007, 10:41 PM
He is not American.

veritech
07-09-2007, 10:47 PM
He is not American.

neither is borg.

Jack Romeo
07-09-2007, 10:54 PM
wimbledon was the biggest sporting event this week and the men's final had very good ratings even in the states. so federer should be on the cover. but knowing how biased they are, they might put venus on the cover instead.

i think venus and/or serena made the cover of si (i also remember them making the cover of time magazine). before them, it was andre agassi after the 1999 french open. in the 90's there were a lot of tennis players who made the cover of si. i remember sampras, graf, seles, navratilova, capriati and pierce making the cover. i'm not so sure about courier, chang, rafter or sabatini, but they were also quite popular in america.

tHotGates
07-09-2007, 11:05 PM
was sampras ever on the cover?

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Sampras/Sampras_Images/Sampras_Bio05.gif
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/features/1999/awards/men/sampras_sm.jpg

Rhino
07-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Sports Illustrated is stuck in xenophobic America.

Exactly. Federer couldn't care less, it means nothing outside America and it's 'World Series'.

tHotGates
07-09-2007, 11:26 PM
xenophobic America = oxymoron

PS: Yes, Fed should have/deserves an SI cover.

Rybo
07-10-2007, 04:56 AM
http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/2005/0919.html

Federer has actually been on the cover before, but you have to do a little squinting.

Rhino
07-10-2007, 07:27 AM
http://dynamic.si.cnn.com/si_online/covers/issues/2005/0919.html

Federer has actually been on the cover before, but you have to do a little squinting.

...and yet we get a couple of dudes with deformed shoulders and golden helmets, totally unknown outside America. They should just call it American Sports illustrated, that would be more accurate.

Azzurri
07-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I remember McEnroe being on the cover a few times after winning Wimbledon and he never won 5 in a row. Even Borg was on the cover well before he won 5 in a row, so you can't say they only put Americans on the cover.

I guess tennis is not very important to SI when Pete and Andre left. Too bad...Fed and Nadal is a great rivalry already.

Rybo
07-10-2007, 01:30 PM
The cover is out! The biggest event of the week was of course Wimbledon, so naturally, your cover man is..........

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/magazine/cover/images/t1_cover0716.jpg

On the bright side though, this is the most cover space Fed has ever gotten.

JMS
07-10-2007, 01:42 PM
...and yet we get a couple of dudes with deformed shoulders and golden helmets, totally unknown outside America. They should just call it American Sports illustrated, that would be more accurate.

yes those dudes represent the battle U.S. residents faced with hurricane katrina and how athletes gave hope to citizens, but hey, roger won the u.s. open

BreakPoint
07-10-2007, 01:52 PM
The cover is out! The biggest event of the week was of course Wimbledon, so naturally, your cover man is..........

Man, when even soccer supercedes Wimbledon in the U.S., you know tennis is in big, big trouble here. :-(

chaognosis
07-10-2007, 01:53 PM

That's embarrassing.

Moose Malloy
07-10-2007, 02:31 PM
here is the article on Wimbledon from this week's SI-

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/jon_wertheim/07/10/wimbledon0716/

Quality of tennis writing(or writing period) is pretty mediocre in SI these days as well. And such a short article, the ones about Borg's runs in the 70s were so detailed & long, it felt like the writers(like Frank Deford) were treating it like a real sport. You felt like you were there. Now Wertheim just focuses on who Venus is dating. I think the internet is lowering the standards of journalism, with blogs, mailbags, etc, contributing to this lowering of standards. 'Personalities' are focused on more than the game. In all sports really. Sad.

fastdunn
07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
The whole issue has nothing to do with 9-11, or does it ?

chaz_233
07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Fed isn't black enough for SI editors.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM

Hmm, nice pick up.

Rudy
07-10-2007, 03:46 PM
what tha? David Beckham?
This is hilarious, Jon Wertheim, get out, save your credibility. That article was crap.

Somebody asked when the last tennis cover was: i think it was Maria Sharapova when she won Wimby in 04. Before that it was Anna Kornikova.
So based on established criteria the next tennis cover should be:
Ana Ivonovic, no?

Azzurri
07-12-2007, 05:18 AM

LOL...Beckham is?:grin:

Marius_Hancu
07-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Somebody asked when the last tennis cover was: i think it was Maria Sharapova when she won Wimby in 04. Before that it was Anna Kornikova.
So based on established criteria the next tennis cover should be:
Ana Ivonovic, no?

Not blonde enough.

Fries-N-Gravy
07-12-2007, 06:24 AM
beckham is american now

emcee
07-12-2007, 06:42 AM
I think Fed deserves to be on the cover too, but some of you guys are ridiculous. I don't think SI pretends that it's not mostly just for Americans...just like most American media. There's no "world" or anything in its name, so to say SI means nothing outside America...so what? I don't know of any similar magazines from other countries...or any media from other countries besides BBC and Korea Times.

emcee
07-12-2007, 06:57 AM
OMG! This website http://www.czech-travel-guide.com/sports.htm only talks about the Czech Republic and Czech athletes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XENOPHOBIC *******S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

harpooner
07-12-2007, 07:51 AM
does americans know theyr the only country calling football "soccer" ?

and yes Fed should have got full cover , he entered in the legend of tennis the last Wimbledon

Kim
07-12-2007, 08:16 AM
hahaha SI sucks

TheKingOfClay
07-12-2007, 08:20 AM
SI is CRAP! I have never understood why they NEVER include Tennis let alone Federer... I do love that little pic of him though...:) funny stuff... does anyone recommend a good Tennis magazine? I had been thinking of getting Tennis (the magazine) but mixed reviews from people on here...
thanks!!!

Bassus
07-12-2007, 08:53 AM
Didn't Sampras complain about not getting a SI cover after one of his historic grand slam victories? So the disrespect SI shows to tennis is nothing new.

Then again, they are in the business of selling magazines. Sampras was never as popular as Agassi, while neither Federer or his great rival is American. Still, soccer is not that popular in the US (as a viewing sport), so its insulting to Federer to put Beckham on the cover this week instead of him. There are several weeks until football starts or Major League playoffs, so SI could have chosen another week for the futile purpose of propping up soccer. Though they probably would have given the cover to Venus instead of Federer.

Phil
07-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Sports Illustrated is stuck in xenophobic America. And tennis was a more popular sport back in the day as well with some awesome rivalries. Federer is playing mostly against chokers who will dump serve at any sign of a lead.

Please get it into your small brain that Americans are no more xenophobic than any other country, and in some cases, they are less so...

When I went to Thailand, for instance, all I saw was Srichapan...everywhere, photos of him, and yet, outside of Thailand, he is very much thought of-and rightly so-as an underachiever...that is, for anyone that has ever heard of him. Same in Japan...they focus on the athletes from Japan, even at the expense of BETTER athletes elsewhere (unless they are tall, blond and female...for some reason, the Japanese like those types of athletes). This is how it works in ALL countries. I don't think it is xenophobia, which means a hatred of foreigners. National pride or ethnocentricism? Maybe, but not xenophobia. Please get your terms right.

sureshs
07-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Only the swimsuit issue is interesting. And Sharapova was in it. I really don't want to see Federer or Nadal in a swimsuit issue ....

Moose Malloy
07-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Borg was on the cover of SI more than Sampras & Agassi combined. Its not an American issue, but a tennis one.

Tennis in the 70s/80s was so much more popular in the US than it is now(that's kinda why it was called the 'tennis boom')

When Sampras was at his most dominant, SI had a cover that said "Is Tennis Dying?" which should show you how relevant he was in American sports. Most sports journalists couldn't pick him out of a lineup in the early 90s.

I think that Nike ad with Tiger Woods shows that Federer is becoming more well-known/respected in the US. But the sport itself is not popular, so that's hard to get by.

And judging by ratings, the NBA & MLB aren't doing so well either, the US just isn't that big into sports compared to other countries it seems.

Please get it into your small brain that Americans are no more xenophobic than any other country, and in some cases, they are less so

Yeah, when I attended Wimbledon in the early 90s, you would have thought Jeremy Bates & Andrew Foster(I'm not making that name up) were better than any of the top players, Edberg, Becker, Courier etc, judging by the papers & commentators. It was so over the top, I've never seen any American players ever get that kind of attention in this country at any time(maybe Connors at the '91 US Open was close)

The British press are more nationalistic, biased etc concerning their tennis players than Americans could ever dream of(very few papers here even have tennis writers, they just assign the baseball/football guy to write about it when a local event is played, while you have British writers follow Murray all around the world) And its funny how often non-British players are asked in press conferences about Andy Murray or Henman during Queens/Wimbledon the last few years, talk about biased.

Eviscerator
07-12-2007, 09:28 AM

I still have some of those old issues, and tennis players were commonly featured. Today, golf is all the rage, but tennis achievements should still warrant coverage.

TheKingOfClay
07-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Didn't Sampras complain about not getting a SI cover after one of his historic grand slam victories? So the disrespect SI shows to tennis is nothing new.

Then again, they are in the business of selling magazines. Sampras was never as popular as Agassi, while neither Federer or his great rival is American. Still, soccer is not that popular in the US (as a viewing sport), so its insulting to Federer to put Beckham on the cover this week instead of him. There are several weeks until football starts or Major League playoffs, so SI could have chosen another week for the futile purpose of propping up soccer. Though they probably would have given the cover to Venus instead of Federer.

I agree, they could have waited for this bogus cover with a washed up "football" player, and at least did a Venus cover or even a cool split cover for both her and Federer... or I don't know, maybe go out on a limb and have Nadal/Federer's showdown and awesome final highlightedon the cover... SI is so anti-Tennis it isn't funny... I know they need to sell magazines, but SOME decent coverage would have been great!!!

Dedans Penthouse
07-12-2007, 09:45 AM

This awesome match may do it thoughWell, paradise is just 90 miles and a makeshift raft away. Bon Voyage~! :-)

Moose Malloy: good post. I noticed the same ''over-the-top-local slant" when I went to Wimby as well. As for S.I., remember the Lendl cover with the caption: "The Champion Nobody Cares About" ??

sureshs
07-12-2007, 09:52 AM

Or maybe because, and I am going out on a limb here, there are so many talented Black athletes? Otherwise would they focus on them for no reason when the readership is the other way?

THUNDERVOLLEY
07-12-2007, 10:18 AM
I'm sick of agenda journalism; SI publishing the Beckham cover--like the would-be reporters on ESPN--seem to be working overtime to hype the hell out a person the majority of the U.S. cares little about...though SI and People would have you think he is a one-man Beatlemania.

Thanks to Beckham's hair color and accent, the historically sick-minded American media packages the man, then tries to re-write the collective tastes of average Americans (likely caring more about YouTube than soccer!). Oh, and when it is not the most-favored foreigner's time to rise, then we are drenched with BS attempts to sell the merits of (for 1 example) the bloody, brutal UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships), yet this is the same media once in the business of telling the population how violent boxing was, and should be banned....hmm.....

Disgusting.

RedWeb
07-12-2007, 11:57 AM
You can see the direction ESPN is going in by viewing their totally wasting segments of Sportscenter with the innane "Who's Hot" tournament (i think that is the name of it but not sure). Pretty soon it will be Paris and Nicole mud-wrestling.

Eviscerator
07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Pretty soon it will be Paris and Nicole mud-wrestling.

Agreed, and that would be better than their current abomination comparing different athletes from different sports.

mileslong
07-12-2007, 01:21 PM
we should be grateful that SI put beckham on the cover and not just scary spice...

Rybo
09-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Once again, SI has the opportunity to do the right thing and give Federer the cover space he deserves. There is no other sports personality or team that warrants a spot on the cover right now. No one. Fed has done something that has never been done before in the open era and probably will never be done again. To top it all off, he did it in New York.

That being said, the overwhelming probability is that someone else will be on the cover, so here are my guesses:

-Terrell Owens: made some stupid remarks and defended Michael Vick
- Dale Earnhardt Jr: missed nascar's ridiculous championship playoff
- Alex Rodriguez: hit some more home runs
- Tiger Woods: won a golf tournament that no one on earth cares about

Rybo
09-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about college football. It's only the first freakin week, but I'm sure either Michigan, Notre Dame, or Appalachian State will be on the cover.

Rybo
09-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Actually Appalachian State was on the cover last week, so maybe they'll shift back to drugs in sports and pick Rick Ankiel and Troy Glaus.

todd03blown
09-09-2007, 06:22 PM
NFL started this week so that will likely be it. To bad for Fed as he certainly deserves it!

djsiva
09-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I think this goes back to show how his "image" is perceived in America. At the end of the day true tennis fans knows that the man is the best.

Good point!!

tennis_hand
09-09-2007, 06:45 PM
we don't care whether he is on the cover or not. his career speaks for himself, even if Andy Roddick had been on it ( i dont know). This doesn't mean Roddick has a better career than Federer. lol..

SoBad
09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
He's got the cash, he may consider buying out some magazines to make the covers. Then again, the newsstands may not wish to carry those issues for fear of frightening little children who walk up to buy candy.

jmsx521
09-09-2007, 07:05 PM
LOL, you mean Sports Illustrated, referred to as SI, which I've nicknamed Sport Ignorance?...Yes, there are so many sports in the world, and they'll barely have an article on anything but the few most popular sports.

Federer not getting the cover yet... and the editor/director still has a job?

danb
09-09-2007, 07:51 PM

Sad but true. Today's tennis has no big fights - it does have a lot of chokes. The only 5 sets grand slam final in years was this year's Wimbledon...

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
09-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Good point!!

Who the f*** is this troll?

natasha_nana
09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Who the f*** is this troll?

HAHAHAHAHA LMAO!!!

he has the same name as you? was very confused for a minute.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
09-11-2007, 07:11 PM
HAHAHAHAHA LMAO!!!

he has the same name as you? was very confused for a minute.

Imagine how I feel to have someone with a similar name, making such dumb threads. :evil:

Rybo
09-12-2007, 06:43 AM
The new cover is out. I think probably until he retires, this is as much space as he'll get.

http://i.cnn.net/si/si_online/covers/images/2007/0917_large.jpg

AAAA
09-12-2007, 07:07 AM
The new cover is out. I think probably until he retires, this is as much space as he'll get.

It's better than no picture at all so it's a start.

Dimonator133
09-12-2007, 07:15 AM
at least he doesn't win by cheating like the team on the cover

IAMLegend
09-12-2007, 07:16 AM
LOL, you mean Sports Illustrated, referred to as SI, which I've nicknamed Sport Ignorance?

I highly doubt it, which is unfortunate. The magazine sucks when it comes to any sport that isn't Baseball, Basketball, Football or Hockey. Those are the 4 that get about 90% of the magazines attention. Oh yes, and the Olympics usually get 6 pages and the cover, how nice of them. Oh and of course if you're a swimsuit model. Yes we can't forget about that important sport, God forbid.

Personally, and I've said this in another post on this topic. If I was Roger Federer and SI asked me if I wanted to be on their cover, I'd say no. And then I would say, I don't want to be on a magazine that cares so little about sports outside the big 4 (previously mentioned)

Jukka
Baseball, football, basketball, and Hockey? Last I looked Tiger Woods didn't play any of these sports and yet he's been on the cover of SI 19 times. But then again he's Tiger and he transcends sports.

Eviscerator
09-12-2007, 07:20 AM

Good post other than the highlighted comment.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
09-12-2007, 07:21 AM
at least he doesn't win by cheating like the team on the cover

Was it proven that New England stole the Jets signs???? :grin:

Eviscerator
09-12-2007, 07:23 AM

From what I heard last night, it does not look good, and the league might come down hard on them. This is not the first or even the 2nd time it has happened.

IAMLegend
09-12-2007, 07:25 AM

Tiger Woods wins his sixtieth tournament, and they put in a tiny little square? What disrespect! I'm very down on SI.

Dimonator133
09-12-2007, 07:46 AM

they have until Friday to present a case in defense

but Goodell says he has conclusive evidence against them

hardly surprising out of someone like Belichick