PDA

View Full Version : Is Willpower DEAD, or will it be? POLL

chess9
07-10-2007, 03:12 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/10/health/nutrition/10essa.html?_r=1&th=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&emc=th&adxnnlx=1184065660-mmcuU9LkFqgvLjaliztlow

Environmental causes of obesity? That's a stretch....

So, tell me, Tuesday Dieters, is will power dead, does it matter? Or, are we all products of our environment?

-Robert

chess9
07-10-2007, 04:43 AM
LOL! So, the jury is out!!!! :)

-Robert

Kevin T
07-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Nice link Chess. As a Registered Dietitian and nutrition professor, I have taught/educated/prodded/you name it, multiple obese to morbidly obese individuals. About two years ago, I just stopped working with the overweight. I will freely admitt that I have a bias against them. I would rather work with the critically ill/cancer patients/transplant patients/athletes. The best research (IMHO) indicates that anywhere from 3-10% are truly metabolically challenged, ie., thyroid disorders, etc. That leaves >90% as overeaters, underexercisers, combos of both, whatever. It's always something elses' or someone elses' fault for their obesity. "Daddy died when I was young" "Mama called me fat when I was 5" "Steve didn't ask me out to junior prom" I just couldn't take it, always an excuse. Researchers will always find ways to find genetic causes/links, hormone triggers, chemical imbalances, and they'll likely find a few. It's always been as simple as eat less, work more. Some people might have to eat much less and work much more but that's life. Watch past seasons of "The Biggest Loser" and you'll see the typical patient that gets fast-tracked into gastric bypass in most cases actually lose 100# or so from eating proper serving sizes and getting off their duffs and moving that weight. "But doc, I eat like a bird and walked every day this week and still gained 3#!" Yep, whatever. I know I sound harsh but I have experience with hundreds of these patients. I guess that's why women do better when counseling obesity and eating disorders :)

chess9
07-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Nice link Chess. As a Registered Dietitian and nutrition professor, I have taught/educated/prodded/you name it, multiple obese to morbidly obese individuals. About two years ago, I just stopped working with the overweight. I will freely admitt that I have a bias against them. I would rather work with the critically ill/cancer patients/transplant patients/athletes. The best research (IMHO) indicates that anywhere from 3-10% are truly metabolically challenged, ie., thyroid disorders, etc. That leaves >90% as overeaters, underexercisers, combos of both, whatever. It's always something elses' or someone elses' fault for their obesity. "Daddy died when I was young" "Mama called me fat when I was 5" "Steve didn't ask me out to junior prom" I just couldn't take it, always an excuse. Researchers will always find ways to find genetic causes/links, hormone triggers, chemical imbalances, and they'll likely find a few. It's always been as simple as eat less, work more. Some people might have to eat much less and work much more but that's life. Watch past seasons of "The Biggest Loser" and you'll see the typical patient that gets fast-tracked into gastric bypass in most cases actually lose 100# or so from eating proper serving sizes and getting off their duffs and moving that weight. "But doc, I eat like a bird and walked every day this week and still gained 3#!" Yep, whatever. I know I sound harsh but I have experience with hundreds of these patients. I guess that's why women do better when counseling obesity and eating disorders :)

I have done a lot of training and my experience is that everyone has an excuse, so I agree with you. Once you realize that the reason you are fat is probably because you have the will power of a gnat when it comes to food, then, and only then can you do something about it. Interestingly, people who can run Fortune 500 companies can eat like pigs and frequently do. Anyone seen Donald Trump's waistline? He isn't getting those ladies with his physique!

The same is true for smoking, alcohol, drug abuse, and other forms of addiction.

I would make a terrible addiction counselor because I think the prescription is more will power, not blaming environmental causes. (though, I admit some portion of the problem is environmental, such as stress, poor eating habits learned from parents, chemicals, bad air, genes, thyroid problems, etc.)

-Robert

armand
07-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Nice link Chess. As a Registered Dietitian and nutrition professor, I have taught/educated/prodded/you name it, multiple obese to morbidly obese individuals. About two years ago, I just stopped working with the overweight. I will freely admitt that I have a bias against them. I would rather work with the critically ill/cancer patients/transplant patients/athletes. The best research (IMHO) indicates that anywhere from 3-10% are truly metabolically challenged, ie., thyroid disorders, etc. That leaves >90% as overeaters, underexercisers, combos of both, whatever. It's always something elses' or someone elses' fault for their obesity. "Daddy died when I was young" "Mama called me fat when I was 5" "Steve didn't ask me out to junior prom" I just couldn't take it, always an excuse. Researchers will always find ways to find genetic causes/links, hormone triggers, chemical imbalances, and they'll likely find a few. It's always been as simple as eat less, work more. Some people might have to eat much less and work much more but that's life. Watch past seasons of "The Biggest Loser" and you'll see the typical patient that gets fast-tracked into gastric bypass in most cases actually lose 100# or so from eating proper serving sizes and getting off their duffs and moving that weight. "But doc, I eat like a bird and walked every day this week and still gained 3#!" Yep, whatever. I know I sound harsh but I have experience with hundreds of these patients. I guess that's why women do better when counseling obesity and eating disorders :)I think obesity is more of a psychological disorder then. People have issues and will try to ignore them somehow by boozing, eating, shopping etc.