PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon Original Rough may be "the one" for my POG

Xevoius
10-08-2004, 10:05 PM
I have been trying many types of string lately. I have noticed that I prefer 17 gauge the best as it seems to give me that little bit of bite that allows my topspin shots to pull the ball into the court. However, after trying three other types of Luxilon and about 15 other different types of string including a bunch of softer multifilament strings, I have found the Lux Original Rough 16 the best for both power and ball pocketing.

I play with a POG 107 and had to switch to this frame because of arm problems which seemed to occur when I played with lighter mid-sized framed racquets. I have finally figured out that the trick with the Luxilon string is the tension. Going down 10% was overkill and had me hitting the back fence. I tried dropping it 2 lbs 59lbs down to 57lbs and it hits like a dream.

At first I did not like some of the characteristics the string had like if I hit with a slower swing or missed the sweet spot the stringbed felt stiff but when I unoladed it felt very lively. I have learned to really like this feeling and it makes me want to really go for it when I am in a groundstroke rally and really consentrate on hitting the ball properly. I feel that the energy return on these strings is incredible.

There was a little initial tension loss but the string settled after about 20 mins of really slugging away. I doubt that there is really any difference from the regular to the rough string but I know the rough string works and that is what I am now probably sticking to. I have ALU Power on the way and some Technifibre Poly to to make sure that I have found "the one".

Note: I used to have arm problems and have used every soft type of string from Technifibre, Wilson, Prince and Gamma. Three 2-hours hits with the Luxilon and no pain whatsoever.

Anyone else have a review of this string?

Nyl
10-11-2004, 08:22 AM
POG + luxilon BB rocks ! i'm playing a 107 too, but it's 28inches. i'm stringing @ 58 lbs n it's close to a perfect match.

Xevoius
10-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Yeah I am thinking of going up one pound when I string my frame. I love how deep I am hitting the ball now and it always seems to take that last second dip and drop right inside the line.

7+ hours later of solid hitting, the strings still respond how they did when I first put them on and there is only minor knotching. I bet I could go another 7-10 hours with these suckers.

This is a long time to someone who broke their strings every two hours of play.

Nyl
10-11-2004, 12:14 PM
that's incredible you break ur BBO within hrs, how hard do u hit

Xevoius
10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
I was breaking the strings this frequently when I was using Technifibre NRG 17. The string would start fraying after only one set!

Xevoius
10-11-2004, 01:57 PM
BTW, what differences have you found between the POG 107 LB and the normal 107?