PDA

View Full Version : Nadal---Short shelf life?

Surecatch
07-10-2007, 07:15 AM
This is not a flame. I like Nadal alot and there is no question in my mind that he is for real and one of the best players of this era. I've never seen anyone push Federer on grass the way he was pushed Sunday. Obviously he is going to win more slams, but for how long? I've often wondered if, with the amount he puts into his matches, he might burn out early. The injuries could start coming earlier for a player like Nadal and I think it's at least possible that he has only a couple of years to amass titles before he becomes a Safin or someone like that....a great player that is nagged by injuries etc. etc.

What do y'all think?

Sup2Dresq
07-10-2007, 07:23 AM
I think he puts a huge toll on his bodies. Less on kinetics and more on brute strength. He is young and has had toe, knee and shoulder problems. I'm starting to think the same thing.

Hard court season will be an eye opener. Lets see if he survives with no injuries.

Great player though. Lots of heart and lots of strength.

clymb420
07-10-2007, 07:36 AM
I expect, and hope that he is around for a long time. I hope he plays into his 30s with good health. He does have to be careful about getting too big and muscled. His family has a soccer backround, so I'm assuming somebody will eventually cut down on building up those "intimidaiton" muscles. Muscles are heavy to carry around, and they increase the chances of injury in a sport like tennis. Tiger is having similar issues with his own musculature, in that they are getting in the way of his swing and game.

anointedone
07-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I think he will probably win his final slams around 25 at the latest. So yeah it is important for him to stay healthy and win as many as possible while he is young.

8PAQ
07-10-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't think Fed will play Nadal this summer anymore. Nadal will be too injured to get to any finals. Hopefully they will play again this year but I am not expecting it any time soon.

ACE of Hearts
07-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Nadal might last a long time if they keep slowing down the surfaces.

radon8
07-10-2007, 08:27 AM
The first few times I saw him play I thought 'that's a hard way to make a living'. Fun to watch though.

MoFed
07-10-2007, 09:22 AM
I hate that they are slowing the courts down. It makes the surfaces too much alike. Before players had to change and adapt their games to the playing style of different surfaces. They do have to do that now somewhat, but not as drastically.

I don't think that Nadal will last long. I'm not saying he's a flash in the pan, but he is too insistant on running everything down. Winners against other players are another shot you have to make against him. His never say die attitude is part of what makes him such a fierce competitor. But his body will take a pounding on the hardcourts if he decides to run everything down. Which will open him up to injury.

Messarger
07-10-2007, 10:01 AM
It's a shame really. I'd like to see Nadal around for many more years. I hate it when a player is not able to give his best in every match just because of some injuries.