PDA

View Full Version : Was anybody else annoyed by Federers gamesmanship at the final?

Roger is Boring
07-10-2007, 07:26 AM
He said to the chair ump "look at the score now, hawk eye is killing me."
why is he always so unclassy when he si losing?

Nuke
07-10-2007, 07:30 AM
If you think Federer has no class, well, you haven't been watching tennis long enough.

J-man
07-10-2007, 07:34 AM
why is he always so unclassy when he si losing?Wouldn't you be if you won a point and you opponent challenged and the point was taken away from you mutilple times in a final with alot riding on that match.

brolycjw
07-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Federer never liked hawkeye, and was really frustrated when that got Nadal breakpoint. He is still human after all, and does not deserve bashing for it. You haven't watched tennis if you thought that was unclassy.

This thread is trolling.

ShcMad
07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
A Nadal fan talking about gamesmanship.... go figure.

rhubarb
07-10-2007, 07:41 AM
Was anybody else annoyed by Federers gamesmanship at the final?

Isn't that rather like asking, "When did you stop beating your wife?"

8PAQ
07-10-2007, 07:44 AM
Fed was never losing in the final. He was always ahead. 2 sets to 1 at that point. Keep on hating buddy.

clymb420
07-10-2007, 07:48 AM
The hawkeye call he was complaining about was good by the hair of Nadal *** (that must have fallen out when he was picking it). The makers of hawkeye even say that it's accuracy variable is about 3mm, about twice the mark left on that particular line call. He lost the point on a call that even the creators of hawkeye couldn't defend in about as big a situation as you could ask for. His angst about hawkeye, that no doubt lent to the anger during that change over, goes back to his opinion that it is a waste of money the ATP doesn't have or could be put to better use elsewhere.

Eviscerator
07-10-2007, 07:54 AM

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/lol.gif

http://images.corvetteforum.com/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Well said

Roger is boring is boring
07-10-2007, 08:00 AM
calm down, enjoy softly your federer-free week: it will help you to swallow roger's triumph at wimby!:D

rommil
07-10-2007, 08:58 AM

Keep eating 'em green grapes.....

Voltron
07-10-2007, 09:00 AM
calm down, enjoy softly your federer-free week: it will help you to swallow roger's triumph at wimby!:D LOL, your name is perfect! http://www.banglacommunity.com/images/satellite/smilies/laugh.gif

Mister G
07-10-2007, 10:10 AM
LOL, your name is perfect! http://www.banglacommunity.com/images/satellite/smilies/laugh.gif

LOL! That's funny...

Jonny S&V
07-10-2007, 10:45 AM
calm down, enjoy softly your federer-free week: it will help you to swallow roger's triumph at wimby!:D

Wow. If we are getting people who almost strictly join because of the Nadal trolls on here, we are going to get a lot of people on this board. Bravo to your name! The OP deserved it.

sondraj
07-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Fed was never losing in the final. He was always ahead. 2 sets to 1 at that point. Keep on hating buddy.

Fed was extremely frustrated, rafa was making fed have vision of FO throughout that entire match and he couldn't handle being pushed like that.

When Fed is unhappy with the way a match is going he usually acts far from the classy Fed people are used to praising.

He doesn't act like that because he isn't used to being in a bind. He started yelling and was very near to throwing his racket

TheNatural
07-10-2007, 11:15 AM
After Fed lost a challenge. A bit later Nadal bashed a ball long and Fed called out "Challenge that".Had Nadal not been injured and gone on to win, I have a feeling Fed wasnt going to be a very gracious loser.

Nadal_Freak
07-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Another Federer-less week. I'm loving it. :D

FEDEXP
07-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Troll post......

drakulie
07-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Nadal's butt-picking had far less convicition in that last set.

downthewall
07-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Fed is so unclassy, he has to wear his white classy pants backwards...

Lee James
07-10-2007, 01:28 PM
I thought his whining was a bit uncalled for. No I'm not on the Nadal or Federer bandwagon. I'm a Safin guy!

drakulie
07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
^^^ The only one whining was nadal when he called for the trainer.

OrangeOne
07-10-2007, 01:38 PM

Ironic. When Roger wins easily and relatively silently, Roger gets criticised for being boring by some people (I wonder who?).

Now, we see Roger show a little raw 'attitude', angst, etc, and people pile on and call him unclassy.

Make up your mind.

naffi
07-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Yeah, that was pretty much just a blip. Anyone can lose their cool. I'm just stunned he recovered so quickly from it. Of course, he did get a little help from that injury timeout. I think that if the match continues from there, Nadal could have taken advantage.

http://www.******************.blogspot.com

Fries-N-Gravy
07-10-2007, 01:48 PM
did you guys see that ball? i think there was a .00001% chance that one green hair touched where the line was supposedly according to the data in the hawkeye. computers and cameras are not perfect. they were made by humans after all. theres a chance it was out, theres a chance it was in, really though, i don't think fed did it to screw with nadal, his concentration is too good anyway. and it was fed who started losing his mind and that 4th set.

tlm
07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Fed is a great winner, but a big baby when he loses.But dont try to tell the fed fans this, they wont admit it even when it is so obvious to everyone else.Fed wins most of the time so you dont get to see his true colors that much, but last sunday when all was not going his way the true fed emerged.

What a whinny baby, telling the umpire to turn shot spot off.Who the hell does he think he is, then he is screaming like a little girl on the changeover.What a wuss, that is the real fed.Anyone can be a good winner, but when you lose is when it shows if you are a good sport or not.

You boys forget when nadal first started beating fed, at the french open he was crying it was to dark.Then another time uncle tony is coaching from the stands+on+on, that is the real fed the crybaby.

Nadal_Freak
07-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Fed is a great whiner whenever he is losing. Nadal knows how to act when he loses. Fed doesn't.

johnny ballgame
07-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Fed was never losing in the final. He was always ahead.

Incorrect. Fed was technically losing when he fell behind in the game score at two sets all, one game all (15-30, 15-40), and at two sets all, two games all (15-30, 15-40).

The Ripper
07-10-2007, 03:40 PM
FWIW, I'm a big Fed fan but I also think he is "boyish" at best and "spoiled" at his worst. He has always been very temperamental and said himself it wasn't until he learned not to panic (which was I guess in about 2002) that he started to play better and keep his emotions under control - for the most part.

On the other hand, I can't even conceive of the pressure he must have been feeling playing in front of Borg and almost everyone else in the tennis pantheon against his only real rival in the ATP. He had to be scared out of his mind of losing and goodness knows he has a very tough time with Nadal. I have been rewatching the match and Federer still seems to do only what is necessary to win, but no more. And he seems to constantly underestimate what Nadal is able to do on court. I have seen Fed play otherwordly tennis against lesser players for the last 3 years, but the Kryptonite analogy seems fair - when Nadal is on the other side of the net, Fed is not far from choking and has trouble playing at his best. Maybe it is Nadal's lefty spin, maybe it is Nadal's unbelievable defense, speed and raw determination. I think we have two great champions but of different persuasions. Maybe they will both become better because of it.

Mad iX
07-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Bah, it was a good match. Why pick at all these little things.
Federer wasn't classy, Nadal was picking his ***, Federer swore at the ump, Nadal called the trainer, Federer almost threw his racket, Nadal picked his ***.

Blablabla ... if you're ever in a situation to win a 5th straight Wimbledon or stop your opponent from doing so then feel free to start a thread about it.

AJK1
07-10-2007, 04:16 PM
The OP is an idiot, what about when Nadal called Federer a b a s t a r d in spanish?

akv89
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM
It's not the worst thing that a tennis player has done on court. Heck, even Sampras swore on court when he was very upset.

FEDEXP
07-10-2007, 06:36 PM
"Anyone can be a good winner, but when you lose is when it shows if you are a good sport or not". Tim

Uh, Tim get a grip. Federer did not lose.

saram
07-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Fed is a great whiner whenever he is losing. Nadal knows how to act when he loses. Fed doesn't.

oh, come on..i'm a rafa fan and that is just so not true. roger is all class, all the time. he showed some emotion and heart for the first time when pushed--i kinda liked it. would never call a guy out for showing some fire when it counts. if he can continue showing emotion, i may have to convert to a fed fan....

tennis_hand
07-10-2007, 07:22 PM
For that point, the hawk eye was wrong. u can't blame him. and it is on his break. Even the umpire agreed it is way out.

downthewall
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I think Federer looks like a frog. I mean literally, his face resembles a frog.

tlm
07-10-2007, 07:27 PM
I didnt say he lost fedexp, i gave examples of his crying when he lost to nadal in the past.Which you are well aware of but will never admit.Uh fedexp get a grip your boy was out there throwing a little hissy fit.

raiden031
07-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Bah, it was a good match. Why pick at all these little things.
Federer wasn't classy, Nadal was picking his ***, Federer swore at the ump, Nadal called the trainer, Federer almost threw his racket, Nadal picked his ***.

Blablabla ... if you're ever in a situation to win a 5th straight Wimbledon or stop your opponent from doing so then feel free to start a thread about it.

And to think, Federer had to shake Nadal's hand after 4 hours of ***-picking. That takes class!

Andrew
07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
After Fed lost a challenge. A bit later Nadal bashed a ball long and Fed called out "Challenge that".Had Nadal not been injured and gone on to win, I have a feeling Fed wasnt going to be a very gracious loser.

That's not what he said, if we are both referring to the same event (I don't believe I heard "challenge that" at any point, but I could be wrong).

Lion King
07-10-2007, 07:50 PM
Shut up everyone. It was a great final. I am a Fed fan and I loved every bit of it, even when I thought Fed was going to lose it. Fed showed emotion, Rafa showed he is human too (he looked tired at the end - mostly mentally), both guys played unbelievable, out-of-this-world tennis for 5 great sets, and then gave each other a hug and exchanged a few VERY CLEARLY NICE AND WARM WORDS. If you are unhappy with this tennis, go watch poker.

MasterTS
07-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Bottom line..

Fed is classless when he is losing, but since he doesnt lose often you always think he is a class act.

tlm
07-10-2007, 08:06 PM
You are exactly right masterts, he has shown his little baby self many times, even though he doesnt lose that much when he does you get to see the real fed.

SoBad
07-10-2007, 08:46 PM

It's just the way he is - unclassy, regardless of what the media hype feeds people.

Bottom line..

Fed is classless when he is losing, but since he doesnt lose often you always think he is a class act.

You are exactly right masterts, he has shown his little baby self many times, even though he doesnt lose that much when he does you get to see the real fed.

Very true, and considering that he is losing more and more as of late, we can expect to see a lot more whining from Fed in the coming months.

TheNatural
07-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Yep you're wrong. 4th set at 0-4 15-30 then Nadal hits a backhand long. Fed says "Challenge that..it will probably be called in" in a whiney voice. Nadal turned around and had something to say back to him.Replay it if you recorded it.

That's not what he said, if we are both referring to the same event (I don't believe I heard "challenge that" at any point, but I could be wrong).

pow
07-10-2007, 09:25 PM

hahahahahaha (10 chars) oh whatever... hahahahahaha

heycal
07-10-2007, 09:52 PM
I haven't read all the posts in this little battle, so forgive me if this has already been covered, but I am interested in two questions:

1) Who says that ball was really out? Where is the evidence that hawkeye was actually wrong?

2) Why didn't NBC show us a bunch of replays of that point like one would expect in such a controversial situation? If memory serves, they barely showed replays at all, did they?

gugarafa
07-10-2007, 10:40 PM
the fact of the matter is fed is a sore loser,spoilt and classes brat BUT HE IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME what do you expect

Mark J
07-11-2007, 12:39 AM
Wouldn't you be if you won a point and you opponent challenged and the point was taken away from you mutilple times in a final with alot riding on that match.

Well, he didnt win the point, if his opponent challenged and was right, it means the point was never his, because the ball was really in in the first place. I think hawk eye is the best thing to happen to pro tennis. There were numerous times during Wimbledon when i was watching and was pleased to see that hawk eye changed line calls which positively affected matches

FarFed
07-11-2007, 01:36 AM
No matter how much I admire Federer, and being a fan of his, I agree that he was out of line (no pun intended).:)

I just started a thread which has a link to an article, where the minor details of Hawk-eye are discussed by the system's creator and how players need to be educated on how the system works.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=143899

Well, he didnt win the point, if his opponent challenged and was right, it means the point was never his, because the ball was really in in the first place. I think hawk eye is the best thing to happen to pro tennis. There were numerous times during Wimbledon when i was watching and was pleased to see that hawk eye changed line calls which positively affected matches

dh003i
07-11-2007, 05:26 AM
I think Fed was out of line there, but everyone's out of line at times. It's not the same as Nadal's constant cheating by taking longer than the allotted time, or not receiving serve at the pace of the server. (the rules say the person returning serve is to play at the pace of the person serving).

There's a YouTube of the controversial call, that shows a video of it. The ball was clearly out. I don't care what the dimwitted inventor of HawkEye says. That ball was out, end of discussion. If he's so sure about his system, why not test it against real direct evidence -- videos and pictures? He also says the average margin of error is 3.6mm, but why doesn't he release the data on that? Including the standard deviation of error? If the standard deviation of error is 10mm, for example, then you can quite frequently have an error of 13.6mm.

keithchircop
07-11-2007, 05:28 AM
He said to the chair ump "look at the score now, hawk eye is killing me." why is he always so unclassy when he si losing?

i didn't expect such a post from you of all people, RogerIsBoring.

Povl Carstensen
07-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Why are some of you Nadalfan-Federerhaters so unclassy when losing?

sureshs
07-11-2007, 06:53 AM

He was much more unclassy in his earlier years when he was losing a lot.

sureshs
07-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I don't care what the dimwitted inventor of HawkEye says. That ball was out, end of discussion. If he's so sure about his system, why not test it against real direct evidence -- videos and pictures? He also says the average margin of error is 3.6mm, but why doesn't he release the data on that? Including the standard deviation of error? If the standard deviation of error is 10mm, for example, then you can quite frequently have an error of 13.6mm.

It has been tested innumerable times against direct evidence.

BTW, Hawkins is a PhD in Artificial Intelligence from MIT, and with all due respect to Roger and his excellent eyesight, Hawkins is a much more credible source on this issue.

helloworld
07-11-2007, 07:16 AM
As good as Sampras and Becker's volleys are, they have no chance of playing S&V against the best passing shot maker in the history. It's just absurd to play S&V against Federer.

helloworld
07-11-2007, 07:19 AM
Oups wrong thread. :D

snapple
07-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Really can't believe all these posters chiding Fed as being "unclassy". Give me a break. First people criticize the guy for being void of emotion and boring, but then when he has the audacity to question a call, and even god forbid use a bad word and evryone is on his case as if he is the second coming of McEnroe. Under the unbelievable pressure and natural frustration of the moment, I find it totally understandable that he would find a need to vent and perhaps even lose his cool a bit - not to mention the fact that the ball did appear to be out (at least to the human eye).

Yes, that's right folks, he's not a robot after all. If that was his so-called ugly side on display, then I'd say we should all have such a ugly side. Geesh.

dh003i
07-11-2007, 07:32 AM
It has been tested innumerable times against direct evidence.

BTW, Hawkins is a PhD in Artificial Intelligence from MIT, and with all due respect to Roger and his excellent eyesight, Hawkins is a much more credible source on this issue.

A more biased source. He's been deceptive about Hawk-Eye, not releasing relevant information about the standard deviation of error, but just the average error.

TheNatural
07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
the SD could be 0.0000000000000001 of a mm A more biased source. He's been deceptive about Hawk-Eye, not releasing relevant information about the standard deviation of error, but just the average error.

Robbie_1988
07-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Really can't believe all these posters chiding Fed as being "unclassy". Give me a break. First people criticize the guy for being void of emotion and boring, but then when he has the audacity to question a call, and even god forbid use a bad word and evryone is on his case as if he is the second coming of McEnroe. Under the unbelievable pressure and natural frustration of the moment, I find it totally understandable that he would find a need to vent and perhaps even lose his cool a bit - not to mention the fact that the ball did appear to be out (at least to the human eye).

Yes, that's right folks, he's not a robot after all. If that was his so-called ugly side on display, then I'd say we should all have such a ugly side. Geesh.

You have my respect snapple. Finally someone sees sense here.

As for Roger is Boring, you're a bloody idiot. The fact that you have Roger is Boring as your name and you make a thread like this is testament to your stupidity. Trolls like you claim you like Nadal for his energy, passion, intensity and emotion and you call Federer boring for lack of those qualities but as soon as Federer drops the S bomb or shows frustration or anger you call him unclassy.

Stop filling these forums with your troll b*ll crap. Do something useful, like dropping dead or something.

Nadal_Freak
07-11-2007, 09:07 AM
How stupid is it to argue with the hawk eye? I guess we've seen signs of what Fed is like when he is losing. It's not that pretty. lol

Kim
07-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Yup, trolls should just drop dead. On that i COMPLETELY agree.

THUNDERVOLLEY
07-11-2007, 09:36 AM
It is so silly when people make a big deal out of Federer's behavior--he was in a tense moment, so there was nothing wrong...

..on the other hand, some of the same people blasting Federer for one, insignificant outburst say nothing of Nadal's neverending, disgusting habit of digging in his ***. I guess digging for brown treasures pales in comparison to Federer's minor incident.

Priceless.

deeps
07-11-2007, 09:36 AM

I don't find this unclassy at all. What's your problem? He just said what he felt at that moment. Why should he hold back? To please you? He didn't insult anybody, he didn't hurt anybody, he simply got fed up with a "machine"! Well, what would the classy guy do? Swallow the anger and lose?

veritech
07-11-2007, 09:41 AM
How stupid is it to argue with the hawk eye? I guess we've seen signs of what Fed is like when he is losing. It's not that pretty. lol

Although Nadal was helped by a successful Hawk-Eye challenge that allowed him to break Djokovic in the second set, the Spaniard was not convinced by the new technology: I think Hawk-Eye has mistakes sometimes. I am sure about that.

if it's stupid to argue with hawkeye, calling it flawed would also be stupid, yes?

david22
07-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Fed is a great winner, but a big baby when he loses.But dont try to tell the fed fans this, they wont admit it even when it is so obvious to everyone else.Fed wins most of the time so you dont get to see his true colors that much, but last sunday when all was not going his way the true fed emerged.

What a whinny baby, telling the umpire to turn shot spot off.Who the hell does he think he is, then he is screaming like a little girl on the changeover.What a wuss, that is the real fed.Anyone can be a good winner, but when you lose is when it shows if you are a good sport or not.

You boys forget when nadal first started beating fed, at the french open he was crying it was to dark.Then another time uncle tony is coaching from the stands+on+on, that is the real fed the crybaby.

to be fair,you have a point there

Matt986
07-11-2007, 11:05 AM

Nope just you, move along now.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
07-11-2007, 11:08 AM

wow...really? hey "roger is boring", thanks for making all of us rafa fans look bad.

tlm
07-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks david22, glad to see that some people can see the reality.