PDA

View Full Version : Blister: To pop or not to pop?

thefan
07-10-2007, 02:16 PM
I play everyday for a good 3 hours, today I got a huge blister bubble on my palm below the pinky finger.

1. Should I pop the blister or not?
2. How should I treat it so I can play again asap?

Thanks

fishuuuuu
07-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I play everyday for a good 3 hours, today I got a huge blister bubble on my palm below the pinky finger.

1. Should I pop the blister or not?
2. How should I treat it so I can play again asap?

Thanks

What do you mean by huge? How large is the bubble? If it is large enough to you, I recommend draining it with a sterilized needle (done either by heating a needle with a lighter or etc or using rubbing alcohol).

After that if you insist on playing tape it up and check it frequently until it heals to make sure that it is clean and free of infection.

pro_staff
07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
My doctor said never to cover it up. I can't exactly remember what she said since it was awhile ago. But I do remember her telling me not to cover them up.

thefan
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
What do you mean by huge? How large is the bubble? If it is large enough to you, I recommend draining it with a sterilized needle (done either by heating a needle with a lighter or etc or using rubbing alcohol).

After that if you insist on playing tape it up and check it frequently until it heals to make sure that it is clean and free of infection.

Sorry, It actually isnt huge but its just that I never had a blister this big. I had a ruler handy and it diameter actually measures around 2/3 of a centimeter.
Currently, I dont think I could play because the friction of the racquet cause a burning sensation.
How should I treat it so that I can return to playing asap?

fishuuuuu
07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Sorry, It actually isnt huge but its just that I never had a blister this big. I had a ruler handy and it diameter actually measures around 2/3 of a centimeter.
Currently, I dont think I could play because the friction of the racquet cause a burning sensation.
How should I treat it so that I can return to playing asap?

Personally I'd still drain it and tape it up for play and leave it uncovered while not playing.

Mad iX
07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Drain and use antiseptic. Keep it clean and dry.

Disclaimer: At your own risk, I'm not a medical professional.

fuzz nation
07-13-2007, 08:06 AM
What I know of blisters is that you want to keep the outer skin intact as a healthy barrier. Your body will supposedly reabsorb the fluid if you leave it alone, but if you're playing all the time, you can't wait around for that.

If I have to drain a blister, I use a really thin sterilized needle right at the edge where the blister meets the skin. Keep it clean! Tape, etc. to take some heat off that spot during play will help and you may want to look for a soft overgrip if the one you use now is too tacky.

Be careful not to apply the sticky portion of the tape directly on top of the blister or it could pull the skin loose. I prefer to tape over a band-aid or a small piece of gauze. Leave it uncovered if you can while not playing and it ought to firm up more quickly. This all comes from my reading and personal experience - I'm also not a health care professionnal.

RedWeb
07-13-2007, 09:59 AM
There are also various "second skin" type of band-aids that provide more padding and some are medicated. When not being exposed to more pressure/wear the blister should not be covered but kept the area clean. There is no harm in covering it while you play... I stayed at Holiday Inn last night so I know what I'm talking about.

EricW
07-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I had a blood blister like a week ago and I left it untouched, and continued playing even though I had it and eventually it drained on it's own... all over my grip during a match. It was fine though, ebcause it didn't really hurt and even though it felt weird I got used to it.

So if you can keep p[laying without suffering just leave it be. Otherwise maybe you should drain it, and cover it.

animasian
02-16-2008, 07:41 AM
First, if it hurts when there is friction on it, you should pop it. I would recommend putting NewSkin or an anitbacterial cream on it after popping. According some sources, air is good for it and will help it heal (ie. overnight). But in the future, remember to keep your hands either dry or very wet. A moist hand is the perfect condition for a blister to come up. Or, wrap a piece of sports tape around the places where you think you might get a blister to help prevent them.

user92626
02-16-2008, 09:35 AM
hey ani

I also got a blister at the exact location. Funny, I only got it after switching to Semi western grip :)

How I dealt with it was as soon I realized a blister was forming, I gripped the raquet a bit tighter at other areas of the palm so it would not aggrevate the wounded, detached skin, kept it dried. Now that area has become a hardened spot.

I definitely think we could avoid blister with a good overgrip, but I am not sure which one to go for. Anyone wanna offer advice?

iradical18
02-16-2008, 10:01 AM
You can drain it if you like. However, do NOT "sterilize" the needle with alcohol. Contrary to what a lot of people think, alcohol does not kill everything but rather disinfects to a certain degree. While I'm not too worried about getting an infection from draining a blister with a needle, you might be. So if you really want to be safe then boil it.

junbumkim
02-17-2008, 03:49 PM
here is a technique I learned in the army.

As a part of training, we would do 40 km march fully geared.
Some divisions do 100~120km over a course of 2~3 days. You are bound to develop blisters.
What they do is..

1) Sterilize a needle and put a thread into a needle.
2) Put the needle through your blister so that the thread penetrates through
your blisters.
3) prepare another needle & thread, and put it through the blister so that
two threads cross each other. In other words, you would have two
threads forming X.
4) The fluid will drain and be absorbed by the threads.

Let the blister stay like this over night.

I personally haven't had to do this. But I have seen other people do it, guess it's pretty effective...

jasoncho92
02-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Im a BAMF -_- so i just pinch it. Its usually pretty hard skin left over when it heals

Babb
02-17-2008, 05:22 PM
I tear them off... lol. It hurts, but just make sure you sterilize it. I once popped a blister and didn't clean it. It started to become infected during the healing process, so I had to rip it open again and disinfect...

montx
02-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Just pop it and sterilize it thats what i do.

LuckyR
02-20-2008, 01:12 PM
What I know of blisters is that you want to keep the outer skin intact as a healthy barrier. Your body will supposedly reabsorb the fluid if you leave it alone, but if you're playing all the time, you can't wait around for that.

If I have to drain a blister, I use a really thin sterilized needle right at the edge where the blister meets the skin. Keep it clean! Tape, etc. to take some heat off that spot during play will help and you may want to look for a soft overgrip if the one you use now is too tacky.

Be careful not to apply the sticky portion of the tape directly on top of the blister or it could pull the skin loose. I prefer to tape over a band-aid or a small piece of gauze. Leave it uncovered if you can while not playing and it ought to firm up more quickly. This all comes from my reading and personal experience - I'm also not a health care professionnal.

This is the correct answer. The only thing I would add is take a hairdryer and blowdry it on low until the skin is not moist (this will help it not fall off when you take off the tape and will provide better protection for the underlying skin).

As to the thread idea... why bother sterilizing the needle when you are dragging nonsterile thread through a previously sterile wound and leaving a wick (the thread) to the outside?