PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Elbow Club

drhopz
07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi, my name is Kevin Phung and i have tennis elbow.

AlpineCadet
07-10-2007, 04:32 PM
I feel your pain. ;)

rocky b
07-10-2007, 06:53 PM
my name is rocky i have been tennis elbow free for 8 years.

JMS
07-10-2007, 06:58 PM
what does tennis elbow feel like, i have never had it

Court_Jester
07-10-2007, 07:07 PM
what does tennis elbow feel like, i have never had it
Then count yourself lucky 'coz this injury pretty much renders your arm useless. Activities like holding a bag, lifting a frying pan or pot from the stove, getting a bottle from a cupboard above your head, tying your necktie, etc. become excruciatingly painful to do.

Hi, I've been TE-free since Sept 06.

dave333
07-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Not something to be proud of, as it is usually caused by some kind of flawed technique.

AlpineCadet
07-10-2007, 08:26 PM
^Yeah, it totally has nothing to do with the equipment. :rolleyes:

drhopz
07-10-2007, 09:07 PM
^ i tried playing with a frying pan, but i'm sure my technique was wrong.:roll:

armand
07-10-2007, 09:30 PM
I just wanna take this opportunity to thank all the good people on this board that has made me very vigilant about TE. About 6 weeks ago I felt some pain and immediately took some precautions to take care of myself. If it weren't for this forum, I'da prolly tried to play through the pain and made things worse.

Due to league commitments, I still had to play one match a week but it was ok. Last week was a bye week and so I had a nice chance to heal. Monday played for 2.5 hours to try and return and things are looking great! Iced the elbow down(no pain, only a bit of muscle soreness) and today no pain either. Still icing to be safe.

Tomorrow have the league match(dubs) and then going on a trip so I'm not jumping right in. Next week I'm gonna play more but gonna listen to the elbow very carefully.

[edit: TE pain started after I was very sick with a virus and it made my body extremely weak which left me vulnerable. Returned to the courts too soonly and played with a stiff racquet [k]Tour 90 with full poly SPPP. I didn't know what the pain was, never had TE before and here we are]

DraGoNoFfiR3
07-10-2007, 09:46 PM
wow i really hope i dont get TE

Court_Jester
07-11-2007, 11:18 AM
^ i tried playing with a frying pan, but i'm sure my technique was wrong.:roll:

If you have a 1HBH, keep your wrist firm and steady throughout the stroke.

I knew all along that TE tended to afflict players with 1HBH and last year, I did nothing but FH during practice while I tried to figure out the flaw in my technique that caused my TE. The key was the wrist. Once I had this epiphany, I could use a stiff racquet like Babolat with a full poly job without pain anytime I wanted to.

drhopz
07-11-2007, 11:41 AM
If you have a 1HBH, keep your wrist firm and steady throughout the stroke.

I knew all along that TE tended to afflict players with 1HBH and last year, I did nothing but FH during practice while I tried to figure out the flaw in my technique that caused my TE. The key was the wrist. Once I had this epiphany, I could use a stiff racquet like Babolat with a full poly job without pain anytime I wanted to.

My TE is minor because i only played with poly for 10mins or so. Poly wasnt forgiving and gave alot of negative feedback, and i'm sure my technique needs some tweeking. I got TE by serving though.

Thanks for the tips in advance about the 1HBH.

Joe Average
07-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, I'm going to have to quote Groucho on this. "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

I'm just recovering from my first bout with tennis elbow. And it wasn't easy. I don't know what caused it. I think it might be from hitting way too many forehand slices. I have a new hitting partner, a former college player, and she hits hard. I have to do whatever it takes to get the ball back, and this may have contributed. Lesson: limit the slicing.

As Jester pointed out, you figure out as you go through your daily routine what's going to hurt. There's no formula. Lifting a saucepan, for instance, hurts. But twisting the top off a jar does not (well, at least not me). I felt some pain the other day, believe it or not, getting the shoe trees off a pair of shoes. And just a couple of weeks ago, I tried tossing a football (for the first time in about twenty years). Passing the ball didn't hurt so much as trying to grip it. And you learn to do things, as a precaution, lefthanded. You wear the telltale arm band long after you've recovered, just in case.

What gets me is that we're told that poor technique is to blame for TE. Perhaps. But I've got, by most accounts, pretty good technique. More to blame, perhaps, is age. People over 35 are much more susceptible. TE is almost non-existent for those much younger. It also should be noted that only a small percentage of those who get TE actually get it from playing tennis.

Marius_Hancu
07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
TE is almost non-existent for those much younger.

Should've told that to Gasquet 1-2 years ago. He obviously wasn't informed about it.

armand
07-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Wooohooooo! Played my league match last night and then played 2 sets of dubs with the best players in my club. I couldn't really keep up but at least my arm doesn't/didn't hurt! More court time will strengthen my arm so I can hang with the big boys again. Will continue to ice after matches.

Joe Average
07-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Should've told that to Gasquet 1-2 years ago. He obviously wasn't informed about it.

Ha! I blame his technique.

rocky b
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Not something to be proud of, as it is usually caused by some kind of flawed technique.

Not to informed pros get TE I doubt its because of there technique. My friend played on the apt tour in the 80's quit because of TE. His form in great.

regmund
07-14-2007, 07:03 AM
For years i have heard that you should use the biggest grip size that is comfortable to avoid/remedy tennis elbow. Well, i have battled tennis elbow since college, i am now 38 and have bounced back and forth from 4 3/8 to size 5 grip. Just recently i had been using a 4 5/8 strung at 48#s and my elbow was KILLING ME!! and this is after a cortizone shot.... Well to make a long story even longer... A friend of mine, who uses a 4 1/4 said he heard from a teaching pro a few years back that he should REDUCE his grip size to remedy tennis elbow, it worked for him, so i took the grip off my 5/8s and slapped an overgrip on them and WHAA LAAH!! a 4 3/8, my elbow has been hurting less and less ever since.... All i can think of is this "rule of thumb" has changed from the old days due to the changes in the game that have come with the advent of topspin.... Any thoughts/experiences with this??

dave333
07-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Not to informed pros get TE I doubt its because of there technique. My friend played on the apt tour in the 80's quit because of TE. His form in great.

I said usually. TE is obviously going to be caused if you hit the ball in the wrong way. Its possible your buddy had SOMETHING funky in his technique. Otherwise he might've had a tender elbow and used a stiff racquet with poly with a small head and mishit like crazy. That ought to the trick too.

But probably more than 90% of tennis elbow cases are technique. Kinda obvious, isn't it?

heycal
07-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I said usually. TE is obviously going to be caused if you hit the ball in the wrong way. Its possible your buddy had SOMETHING funky in his technique. Otherwise he might've had a tender elbow and used a stiff racquet with poly with a small head and mishit like crazy. That ought to the trick too.

But probably more than 90% of tennis elbow cases are technique. Kinda obvious, isn't it?

No. If Gasquet and Stan Smith and many other top pros can get TE, it suggests that their technique isn't "flawed". Hell, I'd love to have such flawed technique!

I'm not postive what causes TE, but since many non-tennis players get it too from all sorts of activities, we obviously can't blame their one handed backhand mechanics if they've never picked up a tennis racket, can we?

rocky b
07-14-2007, 10:23 AM

Carpenters get TE any repetative motion yes it can be from many factors. Most people did not get TE from wood rackets its alot more now so blame light weight stiff frames. In the old days they played with gut now its poly and kevlar.

heycal
07-14-2007, 10:32 AM
Carpenters get TE any repetative motion yes it can be from many factors. Most people did not get TE from wood rackets its alot more now so blame light weight stiff frames. In the old days they played with gut now its poly and kevlar.

I'm pretty sure TE was a problem back in the wood racket days too.