PDA

View Full Version : James Blakes new book "Breaking Back"

spiaus
07-10-2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Back-Lost-Everything-Life/dp/0061343498/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-4350513-1792857?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183840758&sr=8-1

A review by Darren Rovell from CNBC

The Best Athlete Book I've Ever Read
I spend much more time reading business books than sports books. That's in part because I think books about athletes are usually downright awful. They tell us about things we already know about, they are for the most part badly written and, for this reason, only sell to hardcore fans who are willing to pay $24.95 in hopes of finding one story they haven't heard before.

The new book written by tennis star James Blake, co-written by Andrew Friedman, is called "Breaking Back" and it's quite simply the best athlete book I've ever read. Why was it so good? Because Blake's story--his father's death, contracting zoster, breaking his neck and his subsequent comeback--is so good that the tennis is the least significant part of the book. In fact, I counted a 60-page stretch in which not one tennis match was ever mentioned.

Most athletes write books when someone approaches them. But their years in age or their time on the court, field or wherever they play doesn't automatically qualify them as having enough worthy of an autobiography. Blake's comeback story is so rich that almost the entire book focuses on just one year of his life.

His story might have been told over and over again on Oprah, Late Night with David Letterman and in countless magazine articles, but Blake held enough back to give the reader tales he or she never heard. Are you ready for this? I cried on page 93, 103 and 110. I'm not sure if you will too (because I was reading from the galley copy), but if you don't get touched by Blake's bad luck turned good story, you're simply not human.

Lastly, the book is clearly in Blake's voice, something that doesn't always happen when an athlete and a writer collaborate. From a tennis coach who prefers to talk more than hit balls to parents who value education more than the game to a group of fans who are among the closest friends an athlete has ever had, Blake's story is worth the money HarperCollins is asking for. And the best part is that although the book ends, his career moves on and the story will continue before your eyes.

tennishead93
07-10-2007, 06:28 PM
already made a thread about this

spiaus
07-10-2007, 06:38 PM
oops sorry

thefan
07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Might check out the book. Blake seems to be a nice and intelligent guy.
His forehand is not bad either. BUt its always so dissapointing to see him fall short. Wonder if he would have achieved more if he had deveolped a power 2handed backhand...

herosol
07-10-2007, 06:56 PM
his one handed is good enough.

he just needs to develop championship spirit
he has all the physical ability, but not the mental.

im sure all of us can agree he has to the arsenal to succeed, but isn't the best at using them

Breakaz54z
07-10-2007, 07:05 PM
I think it'd be nice to check out. It's available at bookstores now right? Does anyone know if the ATP confessionals aka the ATP diaries are available as well?