PDA

View Full Version : Bryan Brothers, Hawk-eye, and the net...

JohnS
07-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Hello all, I was wondering, did they ever show if the Bryan's racquet had ever touched the net? There was a huge arguement about that and I don't recall a replay ever being shown.

They had asked for a challenge and the chair didnt give it to them. I have seen on TV that "Hawkeye" or whatever has shown the ball's trajectory over the net, but can it detect anything else?

baselinerT
07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
that was almost a yard between them and the net

pro_staff
07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
They showed a slow motion replay on TV during the changeover. CLEARLY did not touch the net. All the announcers said it themselves.

saram
07-10-2007, 08:28 PM
didn't see it--but hawkeye only marks the travel of the ball...not player's movement, etc....

InvisibleSoul
07-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Yeah, wasn't even iffy. Absolutely no possibility the racquet touched the net.

anchorsteamer
07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
That was unbelievable...Lars butchered that as badly as anything I've ever seen on a non african tennis in my life...that was ridiculous

Deuce
07-10-2007, 10:56 PM
The real question is...
Did the ball touch Ken Flach's hair?

roundiesee
07-10-2007, 11:24 PM
Deuce, if I remember correctly, it did, but I think it was ruled in favour of Seguso and Flach in the end right? Even though slow mo showed the ball might have just touched a whiff of hair... anybody else remembered this incident?

Deuce
07-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Deuce, if I remember correctly, it did, but I think it was ruled in favour of Seguso and Flach in the end right? Even though slow mo showed the ball might have just touched a whiff of hair... anybody else remembered this incident?
Yeah, that's about right.
Flach could have called it on himself, but didn't. Noah was basically begging him to call it on himself, but he refused to. Noah was quite angry.
For those wondering what in hell we're discussing, this was the U.S. Open final, mid-80s.

spaceman_spiff
07-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Ok, just a point for everyone who keeps arguing about this call: it didn't matter!

I was at that match (not sitting in a position to see whether or not he touched the net), and I can tell you that, had the umpire not called a touch, the Bryans were still in a level position at best with the French in that particular point. After the volley, the ball was travelling wide but not all that fast towards Clement, who was in a good position to hit a thumping forehand. Plus, Mike Bryan was still back at the baseline, so the Bryans were not in a commanding position.

Also, the Bryans were way down in that particular game and looked unlikely to hold, even if they won that point. Clement and Llodra were blasting their returns that game.

Finally, the Bryans had little hope of winning that match, because they couldn't return well enough to break either Frenchman the whole match. The best they could hope for was tie-breakers, which could not be counted on for the fifth set. So, even if they made it to five, it would only have been a matter of time before one of them was broken (most likely Mike).

I (in addition to quite a lot of people in the crowd) was cheering for the Bryans, but after the first set, they never looked like winning. There was no atmosphere on court that suggested that they were going to make a fight of it. It all came down to serve returns.

tennis_hand
07-11-2007, 01:26 AM
well, umpires stick to their decisions even if it is wrong. otherwise, there will be too many arguments.

dukemunson
07-12-2007, 09:20 AM
The Flach incident was a joke...he's an embarasment