PDA

View Full Version : Venus' Win Shows that Grass is Still Fast

Spencer
07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Venus Williams is 0/11 at the French and 0/8 at the Australian Opens. She is 4/11 at Wimbledon. She has reached only 1 final each at French & Australia and that was back during her prime. She has reached 6/11 finals at Wimbledon.

If the grass was as slow as clay it would be very unlikely that Venus would have won this year's Wimbledon.

bluetrain4
07-10-2007, 08:05 PM
People who are saying that Wimbledon's grass "is as slow as clay," are exaggerating to underscore the point that it is much slower than it used to be, not that it's actually as slow as clay.

ACE of Hearts
07-10-2007, 08:08 PM
Thats bull.What about Bartoli?The women's game sucks as well.There where alot of rallies.

ACE of Hearts
07-10-2007, 08:09 PM
It is slow, and the bounces are a problem.Too many high bounces.

saram
07-10-2007, 08:17 PM
The grass of today is not as fast as the grass of yesterday. It is proven both via the groundskeepers at Wimbledon and their comments on their intent of the new speed and bounce and the bounce of the ball in itself.

Spencer
07-10-2007, 08:25 PM
How about Andy Roddick? He has never made it past the 3rd round at French Open. He got to the quarterfinals of this Wimbledon without dropping a single set until he lost to a very talented guy in Gasquet who happened to play the match of his life. And even then it still went to five very close sets. Oh and Andy was serving up to 140 mph bombs too. Can he do that on clay? If it was really that slow, Andy probably would not have made it past the 2nd round.

Everyone can say whatever they want about the grass cause none of us really know anything. But the results of Roddick and Venus speaks for itself.

Albinoswordfish
07-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Spencer I don't what it is but your really being intent on saying this grass is just as fast as ever.

The only thing I know is that the tournament director himself has said the Wimbledon is playing slower this year. Also I know Henman and Justine Henin have said Wimbledon is playing slower this year.

So I think it's being a bit ignorant to say that this year's grass was playing just as fast as before.

P.S. go look at Queen's highlights you'll notice a huge difference

TheNatural
07-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Its fast enough, Fed would have lost 6-3 6-3 6-3 playing like that from the baseline vs Nadal on clay.

Spencer
07-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Albino,

Do you have links to where all these people said this? I've never said the grass plays as fast as in the past, I just don't buy this idea that it has slowed down to the extreme extent as many here have suggested. I just can't explain how Venus and Roddick would do so well on a slow surface when both their games are made for fast surfaces.

I mean you have Roddick hitting 140 mph, Venus hitting 124 mph serves and Federer hitting 24 aces in the match. I mean both he and Sampras hit only 25 aces against each other in 2001 when the grass was truly blazen fast. The results speak for themselve and I can't explain it. It would seem no one else can either??

tennis_hand
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
People right at the wimbledon say it is slow. and u still say it is fast just by watching tv?

the director, the players, the tv commentators and the journalists there. U should just go there and see by yourself.

Spencer
07-10-2007, 09:35 PM
People right at the wimbledon say it is slow. and u still say it is fast just by watching tv?

the director, the players, the tv commentators and the journalists there. U should just go there and see by yourself.

Tennis_hand,

Can you provide some links please? I am just saying I don't know but still no one can explain my questions posted above it seems?

brolycjw
07-11-2007, 12:49 AM
These people have no idea what they are talking about, the surface is just as fast as before, if not faster. However, it has higher bounces which allows longer rallies to take place. Also, the tennis balls used now are about a size bigger than before, which makes it seem slow. Roddick and Williams can still use their big serves, big groundstrokes still work. However, slice is no longer as effective.

pj80
07-11-2007, 01:39 AM
man...wth is this thread? Even I could beat venus injured.