PDA

View Full Version : Bollettieri - "A true champion may be shaken but never broken"

FarFed
07-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Some thoughts from Nick about the finale.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article2747744.ece

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Nice article.

SoBad
07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Is that an interview with a ******** senile who's clueless about tennis and turned down Safin for his "academy" because he didn't think the boy had potential to go pro? If so, why would you want to reproduce whatever nonsense he's spewing now, on this nice tennis discussion forum?

FarFed
07-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Why would you want to reproduce whatever nonsense you're spewing now, on this nice tennis discussion forum?

^^Corrected. That should have been in the FAQ list a long time ago.

SoBad
07-10-2007, 11:43 PM
^^Corrected. That should have been in the FAQ list a long time ago.

Are you disputing the historical facts that I presented in my knowledgeable and insightful post, or just flaming me out of spite?

FarFed
07-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Are you disputing the historical facts that I presented in my knowledgeable and insightful post, or just flaming me out of spite?

Yes, I think I flamed you (if that's the appropriate terminology to be used here), but it was purely out of irritation. My last comment might have seemed spiteful because I find that you are spiteful yourself, about mostly anyone and anything that is not even remotely within the definition of your notions of acceptability, and you have no problems displaying it time and time again on this "knowlegeable" discussion board. If you think you can blame others for flaming you, then you are the least justified in doing so because you do it most often under the garb of knowledge and restraint.

You might be surprised to know, but I have read a lot of your early posts, and I noticed that your tone has changed dramatically over a period of time, from what I think was "normal" to what is now downright haughty. If you think throwing potshots at members is the way to go about having knowledgeable discussions on an internet board, then fine, it's your choice.

SoBad
07-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I did not attack you or your posting manner in any way here. You created a thread to celebrate an interview with a certain tennis-related person of Italian descent. I contributed with my opinion as to the credibility of that person as far as tennis related matters are concerned, and backed up my assertions with some historic facts. Now instead of addressing the issues at hand (i.e., the [lack of] credibility of Mr. B. on tennis matters), you continue to scrutinise and insult my personality, including your analysis of the moods and tones of my contributions to the forum over time. I understand why you may feel irritated, but I assure you if you seek out the source of the irritation, it is not my personality, but rather the lack of credibility of the source that you chose to bring up as a subject of your thread here.

Alexandros
07-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Is that an interview with a ******** senile who's clueless about tennis and turned down Safin for his "academy" because he didn't think the boy had potential to go pro? If so, why would you want to reproduce whatever nonsense he's spewing now, on this nice tennis discussion forum?

All coaches make mistakes. He has produced champions in Agassi, Pierce, Courier, Seles, Sharapova and many others - I think he knows a thing or two about tennis?

FarFed
07-11-2007, 12:47 AM
I agree with you, I lashed out, and I apologize, ok?

Bollettieri may not be credible according to you, but you could have said so in simpler and less scathing words. Instead you said this:

why would you want to reproduce whatever nonsense he's spewing now, on this nice tennis discussion forum.

I posted this article's link to trigger a discussion about the article, not to trigger a discussion about why it was posted in the first place. Isn't that demeaning to the original poster? It's not even a troll-like thread, it's just an article link I would like people to see.

Anyway, I've noticed that you've stayed true to your pattern of attacking players/personalities whom you do not approve of by ridiculing their country of origin and not naming them directly, examples I can quote from your earlier posts:

- Bollettieri - "some Italian"
- Federer - "that German"
- "Agassi" - "Andrew Agassi, that Iranian.".

This trend of posting speaks volumes about the kind of haughty, high-handed attitude you possess.

Anyway, I would like you to know that I did not want to attack your personality in any way, it's just that your tone clearly elicits inflammatory responses from other posters.

VaBeachTennis
07-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Some thoughts from Nick about the finale.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/tennis/article2747744.ece

Nice article, thank you for the link.

VaBeachTennis
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM

Ok time for bed, little kid. Come back when you have 1/10th of 1% of the man's accomplishments. God Bless Nick Bollettieri, he built a tennis empire from scratch, starting with limited tennis skills. I bet you couldn't even pay enough money for him to accept you into his academy. Respect your elders fool.

omniexist
07-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Bollettieri may not be credible according to you, but you could have said so in simpler and less scathing words. Instead you said this:

I posted this article's link to trigger a discussion about the article, not to trigger a discussion about why it was posted in the first place. Isn't that demeaning to the original poster? It's not even a troll-like thread, it's just an article link I would like people to see.

Anyway, I've noticed that you've stayed true to your pattern of attacking players/personalities whom you do not approve of by ridiculing their country of origin and not naming them directly, examples I can quote from your earlier posts:

This trend of posting speaks volumes about the kind of haughty, high-handed attitude you possess.

Anyway, I would like you to know that I did not want to attack your personality in any way, it's just that your tone clearly elicits inflammatory responses from other posters.

Nice...I smell barbecue! ;)

The Gorilla
07-11-2007, 03:20 PM

lol brilliant

InvisibleSoul
07-11-2007, 03:43 PM
I like my champions shaken, not stirred.

Terre Battu
07-11-2007, 04:57 PM
All coaches make mistakes. He has produced champions in Agassi, Pierce, Courier, Seles, Sharapova and many others - I think he knows a thing or two about tennis?

Champions are born, not made.

inquisitive
07-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Hey, Nick's Sonic Serve was great dude!

Alexandros
07-11-2007, 08:59 PM

Talent unguided is talent wasted.

I'm sure the champions Nick has coached have vast innate ability for tennis but their strokes still need to be taught and tactics learned.

SoBad
07-11-2007, 10:32 PM

OK, let’s just take a few steps back so we can look at the big picture now. Here’s a well known piece from an old interview with the best tennis player of all times – here’s what he had to say about N.B.:

Q: It's well-known that at 14 you joined the tennis school in Valencia, but it gets somehow forgotten that before that you applied to the Bollettieri academy in the States two years earlier.
A: That trip ended in nothing. They refused me, saying they didn't see potential. Like, nothing can be done out of me.
Q: Did yours and Bollettieri's paths cross later?
A: Yeah, a few years back we met and he offered his excuses for his mistake.
Q: Was it pleasant to gloat?
A: On whom? Bollettieri knows nothing about tennis. When I was 12, I was hurting, but I soon understood what kind of man he is.

Clearly, any serious tennis fan should be familiar with this story and should realise that B. has zero credibility as tennis coach or commentator, for his role in that episode alone. Consequently, it would not be reasonable to expect any such tennis fan to read an interview with B., since it would be more logical to simply alert the fellow participants of the thread as to B.’s lack of credibility on the subject, as a sign of respect for their time, which is what I did.

As far as the continued discussion of my own personality flaws and posting traits, my comment on Iranian Agassi was a joking tribute to another thread, which I had made very clear in my later post(s) in the same thread. As for other possible instances of referencing a person’s nationality or ethnicity, I don’t understand why you see a fault with my doing so from time to time. A person’s ethnic background or nationality is an integral part of the person.

Now this part of your post is priceless:

“This trend of posting speaks volumes about the kind of haughty, high-handed attitude you possess. Anyway, I would like you to know that I did not want to attack your personality in any way…”

SoBad
07-11-2007, 10:41 PM

He "produced" them? I suppose they did train at his academy. Then again, they trained in Florida, perhaps the governor of Florida produced them? Or perhaps George Bush did (since they trained in the U.S.)?

As for knowing "a thing or two about tennis", perhaps you think that, but the best player in the world would disagree. To quote him directly, "Bollettieri knows nothing about tennis."

SoBad
07-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Ok time for bed, little kid. Come back when you have 1/10th of 1% of the man's accomplishments. God Bless Nick Bollettieri, he built a tennis empire from scratch, starting with limited tennis skills. I bet you couldn't even pay enough money for him to accept you into his academy. Respect your elders fool.

You are right about limited tennis skills, and you probably know more about God than I do. As for the "academy", why would I want to pay for that, if there are real academies in Spain, and it's a nice place too.

Regarding the "1/10th of 1%", you may wish to consider decimal form next time you want to insult someone with that "wisdom" of yours - 0.1% - it's more compact.;) Let me know if you need further schooling on the concept of decimals. You are welcome.:D

SoBad
07-11-2007, 10:48 PM
lol brilliant

Thank you.

Excellent post.

kingdaddy41788
07-11-2007, 10:54 PM
SoBad - grow up. I agree, Nick B. isn't exactly a great tennis mind. That being said, there's no reason for you to take such issue with the original post. Put in your two cents on it and then let it be. And do so in a somewhat respectable manner.

OP - you (as well as I) should probably give up on him at this point. He isn't going to change - it's a stupid little game he plays that makes him happy.

SoBad
07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
I agree, Nick B. isn't exactly a great tennis mind.

Bollettieri knows nothing about tennis.

Case closed.

Vision84
07-11-2007, 11:08 PM
I found the article interesting and have to agree with many of his points there.

SoBad stop trying to stir up trouble and proclaim Safin as G.O.A.T. with every chance you get.

FarFed
07-11-2007, 11:14 PM

“This trend of posting speaks volumes about the kind of haughty, high-handed attitude you possess. Anyway, I would like you to know that I did not want to attack your personality in any way…”

I meant I did not originally have intentions of doing so i.e. when you posted your first message. It happened later because of your provocation.

Keep it up, keep taking potshots at others on this board and I'm sure you'll be considered more and more credible.

You're perfect, you're the epitome of perfect message board behavior, you have my salutes, fine? I hope that makes you happy and I sincerely hope that this thread gets buried before you mess it up even further. Although, please feel free to dig it up every time you need to poke fun and get your kicks by ridiculing others.

Thanks.

SoBad
07-11-2007, 11:18 PM
I meant I did not originally have intentions of doing so i.e. when you posted your first message. It happened later because of your provocation.

Keep it up, keep taking potshots at others on this board and I'm sure you'll be considered more and more credible.

You're perfect, you're the epitome of perfect message board behavior, you have my salutes, fine? I hope that makes you happy and I sincerely hope that this thread gets buried before you mess it up even further. Although, please feel free to dig it up every time you need to poke fun and get your kicks by ridiculing others.

Thanks.

The voice of reason is just too much to handle, isn't it? You want me to stop posting in this thread, is that what you want?

FarFed
07-11-2007, 11:24 PM
What makes you think that? In fact I'm totally with you on this, didn't I just laud you for your skills?

The voice of reason is just too much to handle, isn't it? You want me to stop posting in this thread, is that what you want?

SoBad
07-11-2007, 11:27 PM
What makes you think that? In fact I'm totally with you on this, didn't I just laud you for your skills?

Yeah I thought maybe you were trying to be sarcastic, after that whole character assault campaign you had launched against me.

superman1
07-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Why is Safin's opinion suddenly so important? I'm sure most players would have good things to say about Nick Bollettieri.

FarFed
07-11-2007, 11:34 PM
For the benefit of all, let's end here shall we?

Yeah I thought maybe you were trying to be sarcastic, after that whole character assault campaign you had launched against me.

SoBad
07-11-2007, 11:37 PM
For the benefit of all, let's end here shall we?

Sure, if that's your way of answering my earlier question with affirmative "yes, the voice of reason is just too much for me to handle, which is why I want you to stop posting in this thread".

FarFed
07-11-2007, 11:50 PM
It would be better if we (not you alone) stuck to relevant posts about the article here, isn't that reasonable enough?

I already appreciated your skills earlier, so I do not see how it could be perceived as a lack of handling reason. You dislike Bollettieri, I reasoned out why that is so (which you quite wrongly perceived as a character assault, which in turn could be perceived as lack of reason on your part, but I won't venture into that), you reasoned that it is because of Safin's experiences with Bollettieri. So there, we all have opinions, we posted them here (although inappropriately).

Sure, if that's your way of answering my earlier question with affirmative "yes, the voice of reason is just too much for me to handle, which is why I want you to stop posting in this thread".

psamp14
07-12-2007, 12:05 AM
very nice article, thanks for posting...

serve/and/volley
07-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Don't make SoBad mad: from the looks of his avatar, he just might go Virginia Tech on all our asses.

SoBad
07-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Don't make SoBad mad: from the looks of his avatar, he just might go Virginia Tech on all our asses.

OK I see you don't come around these forums much, so may I just inform you that I am one of the nicest posters on all of these boards.

fps
07-12-2007, 04:16 AM

Hahahahahaha. Oh god I shouldn't laugh, I know I shouldn't. Hahahahahaha.

SoBad
07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
It would be better if we (not you alone) stuck to relevant posts about the article here, isn't that reasonable enough?

I already appreciated your skills earlier, so I do not see how it could be perceived as a lack of handling reason. You dislike Bollettieri, I reasoned out why that is so (which you quite wrongly perceived as a character assault, which in turn could be perceived as lack of reason on your part, but I won't venture into that), you reasoned that it is because of Safin's experiences with Bollettieri. So there, we all have opinions, we posted them here (although inappropriately).

I agree that we should stick to relevant posts about the article. I continue to believe that the issue of B's credibility (or lack thereof, rather) is a relevant one here. There are impressionable kids that may be reading this article, and without some insight regarding B's credibility, they may draw erroneous conclusions. I just wanted them to know the truth.

FarFed
07-12-2007, 11:23 PM
Sure.......

I agree that we should stick to relevant posts about the article. I continue to believe that the issue of B's credibility (or lack thereof, rather) is a relevant one here. There are impressionable kids that may be reading this article, and without some insight regarding B's credibility, they may draw erroneous conclusions. I just wanted them to know the truth.

35ft6
07-12-2007, 11:49 PM
I agree, Nick B. isn't exactly a great tennis mind. If results is the final word on how great a tennis mind really is, than Nick B is practically the Albert Einstein of tennis coaching. Nobody else even comes close. He doesn't seem to be the type of guy who has a unique answer for every possible, unique game situation, from what I know he believes in some very simple truths and thinks they apply to every situation more often than not. Get super fit, bit serve, big forehand, and control the center of the court.

The haters are right in some ways, he doesn't get into the game to the atomic level. His way is broad but incredibly effective. And I'm sure when he first started proposing his approach to tennis, everybody thought he was an idiot. But at this point, the results speak for themselves.

List of IMG/Nick B academy alumni, and the way the word "alumni" is being used is certainly up for interpretation:Andre Agassi Boris Becker Paul Annacone
Pete Sampras Bjorn Borg Nicholas Pereira
Jim Courier Brian Gottfried Fabiola Zuluaga
Martina Hingis Jimmy Arias Pablo Arraya
Venus Williams Marcelo Rios Aaron Krickstein
Serena Williams Alexandra Stevenson Max Mirnyi
Monica Seles Mauricio Hadad Lisa Bonder
Anna Kournikova Rafaella Reggi Pam Casale
Tommy Haas David Wheaton Mirjana Lucic
Mary Pierce Carling Bassett-Seguso Sandra Cacic
Petra Korda Tim Mayotte Andre Sa
Xavier Malisse Thomas Enqvist Mark Phillippoussis
Mary Joe Fernandez Iva Majoli Caroline Vis
Anke Huber Maria Sharapova Daniela Hantuchova
Tatiana Golovin Paul-Henri Mathieu Jelena Jankovic They're good enough to be able to turn down Safin, yah.

SoBad
07-13-2007, 12:13 AM
If results is the final word on how great a tennis mind really is, than Nick B is practically the Albert Einstein of tennis coaching.

As discussed, he knows nothing about tennis or coaching. He's a fairly good businessman, at the very most.

They're good enough to be able to turn down Safin, yah.

What do you mean exactly when you say that?

InvisibleSoul
07-13-2007, 01:23 AM
What do you mean exactly when you say that?
It means when he has accepted and produced players that have won over 50 singles Grand Slam titles combined, he can afford to have rejected Safin and his lowly 2 slams and not lose credibility.

superman1
07-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Safin doesn't like anything. You should know that by now.

fps
07-13-2007, 01:42 AM
As discussed, he knows nothing about tennis or coaching. He's a fairly good businessman, at the very most.

Well it's Bolletieri or you who I'm gonna listen to in this thread. How do YOUR tennis credentials stack up against his? Started an academy? Taught any grand slam winners? NO!? Well maybe you've won some major titles yourself in which case you probably know what's going on at the highest levels of the game...?

Why are so many people on these forums so eager to rip on people who have actually had hugely successful careers? People rip on Federer for being past it despite winning his last slam, and suggest how the best player in the world should re-model his shots, post that bolletieri of all people knows nothing about tennis, as if they were themselves a tennis god, fair rip on anyone who's doing well! Why!?

C_Urala
07-13-2007, 03:23 AM
Why? Jealousy, of course.

35ft6
07-13-2007, 04:28 AM
As discussed, he knows nothing about tennis or coaching. He's a fairly good businessman, at the very most. If he knows nothing about tennis, he's the luckiest coach in the world. Like saying Roger Federer is the worst tennis player in the world. Well, if his results are any indication, than he must also be the luckiest terrible tennis player in the world.What do you mean exactly when you say that? They could be so picky that they could turn down a guy with Safin's potential. Obviously, Safin must have some respect for Nick, otherwise why the bitterness? Why be upset if a person with no tennis knowledge doesn't want to coach you? If he truly believes what he's saying, than he should be thanking Nick for everything he's accomplished. In general, people don't want to be coached by people with absolutely no knowledge in the sport they're pursuing.

By the way, even today, it's not like Safin plays like a world beater every day. He's notorious for being mercurial. Is it possible he was even more erratic and temperamental when he was 13 or whatever? Maybe he had a bad day.

Dilettante
07-13-2007, 04:38 AM

Send him your "scientific" analysis. Maybe he'll learn something.

Povl Carstensen
07-13-2007, 05:52 AM
Hey SoBad, you come across as rude and arrogant.

Andres
07-13-2007, 06:04 AM
OK, let’s just take a few steps back so we can look at the big picture now. Here’s a well known piece from an old interview with the best tennis player of all times – here’s what he had to say about N.B.:

Q: It's well-known that at 14 you joined the tennis school in Valencia, but it gets somehow forgotten that before that you applied to the Bollettieri academy in the States two years earlier.
A: That trip ended in nothing. They refused me, saying they didn't see potential. Like, nothing can be done out of me.
Q: Did yours and Bollettieri's paths cross later?
A: Yeah, a few years back we met and he offered his excuses for his mistake.
Q: Was it pleasant to gloat?
A: On whom? Bollettieri knows nothing about tennis. When I was 12, I was hurting, but I soon understood what kind of man he is.

Clearly, any serious tennis fan should be familiar with this story and should realise that B. has zero credibility as tennis coach or commentator, for his role in that episode alone. Consequently, it would not be reasonable to expect any such tennis fan to read an interview with B., since it would be more logical to simply alert the fellow participants of the thread as to B.’s lack of credibility on the subject, as a sign of respect for their time, which is what I did.

As far as the continued discussion of my own personality flaws and posting traits, my comment on Iranian Agassi was a joking tribute to another thread, which I had made very clear in my later post(s) in the same thread. As for other possible instances of referencing a person’s nationality or ethnicity, I don’t understand why you see a fault with my doing so from time to time. A person’s ethnic background or nationality is an integral part of the person.

Michael Jordan didn't make it to the team in the first years of HS, because the coach thought he wasn't any good. We all know how that ended.

Michael Jordan at 13 didn't show any signs of his later potential, specially because his potential was, in part, his unbelievable physique, unexisting at 13 years old.

emcee
07-13-2007, 06:35 AM
SoBad, I think you're pretty annoying too.

GuyClinch
07-13-2007, 06:41 AM
If you go to Nick's academy - it's not just Nick he has a whole team of people that help you with your game. Think more like Rick Pitino - Pitino actually is a pretty good coach and a good salesman to boot. But he has assistants to help with alot of the fundamental skills. It's the same thing in football as well.

I am pretty convinced that you could get help from Nick and his team. I have seen some of his videos and seen guys like his serve doctor giving tips on a slice serve. It's all sound advice IMHO. Nick and his staff know the modern game pretty well - and they adapt studying and learning what the new pros do to be succesfull.

Pete

Shabazza
07-13-2007, 07:35 AM
SoBad, your exaggeratedly constructed and sarcastic comments to ridicule anyone who doesn't agree with you is irritating at best.
If you think your posts are funny - they aren't, not in the slightest. Seems like you have a need to distinguish yourself from other posters with your orotund writing style. Attention seeking at it's best. Quite the insecure guy in real life, aren't you?!

poplar
07-13-2007, 08:10 AM
SoBad, your exaggeratedly constructed and sarcastic comments to ridicule anyone who doesn't agree with you is irritating at best.
If you think your posts are funny - they aren't, not in the slightest. Seems like you have a need to distinguish yourself from other posters with your orotund writing style. Attention seeking at it's best. Quite the insecure guy in real life, aren't you?!

I dont really think SoBad is seeking any kind of attention. He just gets irritated whenever someone praises federer or downplays safin. his loyalty towards safin and his hatred for federer are genuine.

:) i am always curious about how he handles the fact that safin likes federer.

Andres
07-13-2007, 08:12 AM
The irony there overheats his circuits and make his head to blow up :D

Fries-N-Gravy
07-13-2007, 09:22 AM
bolletieri is still in love with the young pink-wearing power tennis agassi. he tries to make all of his students into little agassis.

that doesn't mean its necessary to be a tool to everyone on this forum, but i guess that's what forums are for, so you can hide behind a computer screen and say whatever you want.

Shabazza
07-13-2007, 10:14 AM
I dont really think SoBad is seeking any kind of attention. He just gets irritated whenever someone praises federer or downplays safin. his loyalty towards safin and his hatred for federer are genuine.

Well I don't buy that - I don't think his hate for Fed and love for Safin is genuine, at all. But that's probably just me.

35ft6
07-13-2007, 07:33 PM
bolletieri is still in love with the young pink-wearing power tennis agassi. he tries to make all of his students into little agassis. Or maybe Agassi was a later version of his earlier proteges, Arias and Krickstein.

SoBad
07-13-2007, 10:29 PM
A dozen posts filled with hostility and fanaticism, simply because I spoke frankly and called the spade a spade? I suppose I should be my usual polite self and address each one individually.

SoBad
07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
accepted and produced players that have won over 50 singles Grand Slam titles combined

OK you know WTA doesn't count right - that's not real tennis. How many slams again?

rejected Safin and his lowly 2 slams

You think it's easy for a man to win two Grand Slam titles? Who's the lowly here??

SoBad
07-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Safin doesn't like anything. You should know that by now.

Please elaborate a little bit on this - there is obviously a thought of some kind that you are trying to express here.

SoBad
07-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Well it's Bolletieri or you who I'm gonna listen to in this thread. How do YOUR tennis credentials stack up against his? Started an academy? Taught any grand slam winners? NO!? Well maybe you've won some major titles yourself in which case you probably know what's going on at the highest levels of the game...?

Why are so many people on these forums so eager to rip on people who have actually had hugely successful careers? People rip on Federer for being past it despite winning his last slam, and suggest how the best player in the world should re-model his shots, post that bolletieri of all people knows nothing about tennis, as if they were themselves a tennis god, fair rip on anyone who's doing well! Why!?

You can listen to whomever you wish to listen two. Persons under discussion here are celebrities, whereas those carrying on the discussion are general public. It is the prerogative of general public to express their opinions frankly about celebrities. As a member of general public pool, you may disagree with fellow members on opinions they state, but posting derogatory remarks concerning such fellow members to the effect that they are not celebrities, does not add value to any such discussion.

SoBad
07-13-2007, 10:56 PM
Why? Jealousy, of course.

How do you figure?

SoBad
07-13-2007, 11:06 PM
If he knows nothing about tennis, he's the luckiest coach in the world. Like saying Roger Federer is the worst tennis player in the world. Well, if his results are any indication, than he must also be the luckiest terrible tennis player in the world. They could be so picky that they could turn down a guy with Safin's potential. Obviously, Safin must have some respect for Nick, otherwise why the bitterness? Why be upset if a person with no tennis knowledge doesn't want to coach you? If he truly believes what he's saying, than he should be thanking Nick for everything he's accomplished. In general, people don't want to be coached by people with absolutely no knowledge in the sport they're pursuing.

By the way, even today, it's not like Safin plays like a world beater every day. He's notorious for being mercurial. Is it possible he was even more erratic and temperamental when he was 13 or whatever? Maybe he had a bad day.

I think the interview piece I had quoted above makes it very clear that there is no bitterness for the precise reason that NB doesn’t know about tennis. As for the variance in day-to-day tennis performance by Safin, while it may be higher than average by pro standards, it is certainly nothing compared to the gap between a boy with no pro potential and a boy who will soon become a legend of the sport and multiple grand slam title winner. Too bad NB and his cronies couldn’t tell the difference at the time (too bad for them).

SoBad
07-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Send him your "scientific" analysis. Maybe he'll learn something.

Sorry, the target audience for that dissertation is actually people who know something about tennis.

SoBad
07-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey SoBad, you come across as rude and arrogant.

SoBad, I think you're pretty annoying too.

These are completely off-topic. This discussion is about NB, his article, and his lack of credibility. It is not about me.

SoBad
07-13-2007, 11:20 PM
If you go to Nick's academy - it's not just Nick he has a whole team of people that help you with your game. Think more like Rick Pitino - Pitino actually is a pretty good coach and a good salesman to boot. But he has assistants to help with alot of the fundamental skills. It's the same thing in football as well.

I am pretty convinced that you could get help from Nick and his team. I have seen some of his videos and seen guys like his serve doctor giving tips on a slice serve. It's all sound advice IMHO. Nick and his staff know the modern game pretty well - and they adapt studying and learning what the new pros do to be succesfull.

Pete

Pete, of course everything is relative. Of course it's a huge academy now with coaches, including good ones, helping players improve. I appreciate your reflection on the NB academy here, but personally I would prefer to train in Spain. I wasn't suggesting that NB was a useless academy - my only point in this thread was that hey when you read NB reflections article, keep in mind it's the same guy who turned down Safin, that's all.

SoBad
07-13-2007, 11:37 PM

I am not sure what you are referring to here, all I did in this thread about a NB article was make a brief comment to the effect that this is the same guy who turned down Safin when he was 12.

It should be fairly clear that nothing I had posted in this thread was intended to amuse, so I am glad that we have some agreement there. The rest of it I am not too sure about.

Am I an insecure guy in real life? I am not sure actually. I am now wondering about that very question myself. What do you mean by “insecure”?

SoBad
07-13-2007, 11:44 PM

Thanks for your nice comment. I will address the safin-federer situation tomorrow, along with other remaining posts in this thread.

Povl Carstensen
07-14-2007, 09:06 AM
"OK you know WTA doesn't count right - that's not real tennis." He he...

NamRanger
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM

He didn't produce Agassi, his product of Agassi at the beginning was a horrible one at that. Agassi was a REAL champion when he completely changed his game to a baseline controller rather than a power baseliner.

Bollettieri produces baseline bashers, not champions. Sharapova just happens to baseline bash so well that she can get lucky at times.

fps
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM
You can listen to whomever you wish to listen two. Persons under discussion here are celebrities, whereas those carrying on the discussion are general public. It is the prerogative of general public to express their opinions frankly about celebrities. As a member of general public pool, you may disagree with fellow members on opinions they state, but posting derogatory remarks concerning such fellow members to the effect that they are not celebrities, does not add value to any such discussion.

No no no, don't try and pass Bolletieri off as a "celebrity", as if he was famous in the same way Paris Hilton is. He is famous for one, very specific thing, his academy, through which a whole bunch of potentially good youngsters have passed, and emerged as fully formed grand slam winners.

To then say I can think of you whatever I will, is an invitation for me to treat your opinion as worthless, a possum-like "i don't care what you think of me" defence mechanism. Well, if you don't have any credentials to back up assaulting someone who has actually made it in the tennis industry, and done it by moulding some of the most talented GS winners we've had, then that is what I'll do. Because, for me, these forums shouldn't be about dragging down figures within the game, it should be about celebrating them.

NadalForever
07-14-2007, 09:20 AM
We should not be giving any credit to Federer because he had a walkover.

TENNIS_IS_FUN
07-14-2007, 09:26 AM

/bow

anybody who turns down safin is NO GOOD.

NamRanger
07-14-2007, 09:28 AM
/bow

anybody who turns down safin is NO GOOD.

Exactly, it's not like Valencia is easy to get into either, so they must have seen some kind of potential in him. Bollettieri made a pretty big mistake.

alwaysatnet
07-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Is all this fuss just because Bollettieri turned down Marat Safin when he was twelve and didn't let him in his academy?

I'm not crazy about Nick, I think he runs a tennis mill and teaches everyone the same mindless bashing stokes. He's got an impressive roster of names but how many thousands of kids did he have to go through to get lucky with a few? And how many successful pros did well despite Nick and not because of him?
Agassi and Courier,just to name two off the top of my head, say that Nick did precious little for their games.

I'm friends with Steve Stefanki,coach and brother of super coach Larry Stefanki, and it was confided in me that Nick is considered more of a publicity hog and self promoter than real coach. He used to be known for showing up at the big tournaments and getting his face on t.v. where he would talk to the big players and make it seem as if he was giving them his "precious" advice and strategy(arm around shoulder,whispering in their ear,all sorts of gestures and hand movements). More than likely he was discussing the weather at the time.

Having said that, who knows what sort of prospect Safin was at twelve?
Who knows what sort of impression he made in his limited exposure to Bollettieri? Safin is just one player. One talented but erratic mental case of a player. I don't think Nick must spend much time brooding over his loss of Safin.
Safin's legacy will be that of a very talented player that never got more than 40% of his game out of himself. His career is on the downside and he will never come anywhere near his potential. There's no way Nick could of sensed that but he certainly isn't to blame for passing on such a head case.

It's very likely both sides are right. Nick is more showman and promoter than coach(though through sheer volume his tennis factory turns out many talented players) and his rejection of Safin doesn't neccessarily reflect poorly on him.

Kobble
07-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Nick is a creep. Just an old Italian businessman. Nothing more.

VaBeachTennis
07-20-2007, 06:16 AM
You are right about limited tennis skills, and you probably know more about God than I do. As for the "academy", why would I want to pay for that, if there are real academies in Spain, and it's a nice place too.

Regarding the "1/10th of 1%", you may wish to consider decimal form next time you want to insult someone with that "wisdom" of yours - 0.1% - it's more compact.;) Let me know if you need further schooling on the concept of decimals. You are welcome.:D

LOL good one! I know about my God than you do, I would never claim to know about your God better than you. I just respect the fact that Bolletieri built a tennis empire from scratch. The fact that he made a few mistakes regarding coaching or not coaching certain players only makes him human.

SoBad
07-21-2007, 09:52 PM
LOL good one! I know about my God than you do, I would never claim to know about your God better than you. I just respect the fact that Bolletieri built a tennis empire from scratch. The fact that he made a few mistakes regarding coaching or not coaching certain players only makes him human.

I think there might be some truth in your statement regarding the differing knowledge of different Gods. As for respecting Bolletieri, most certainly one must admire a guy who made heaps of money on a tennis academy despite the fact that he hasn't got a clue about tennis. That however does not add any credibility to any tennis commentary he may be making, which is the precise issue at hand here. Furthermore, you seem to be attempting to obscure the difference between terms like "certain players" and "best tennis player to have ever lived".

Perhaps Kobble had summed it up best:

Nick is a creep. Just an old Italian businessman. Nothing more.