PDA

View Full Version : Is Uncle Toni a genious?

bammbamm
07-10-2007, 10:28 PM
It must have taken some creativity to create a lefty Frankenstein like Nadal. What do you think? Maybe it's luck too?

FarFed
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
I reckon he's smart, he seems to be learning, making his boy adapt.

gugarafa
07-10-2007, 10:53 PM
There has to be some progress or else he wouldnt be a coach

Buuurnz
07-11-2007, 05:30 AM
hahaha funny but mean, but still funny!
anyways, nadal is a good guy even i as a fed fan must admit that he is nice and humble, so stop opening threads that mark him as frankenstein or something haha

jackson vile
07-11-2007, 05:44 AM
Honestly I am just simply shocked, I did not even expect Nadal to get past Berdych let alone almost win Wim.

The scarry part is that Nadal is still young, and that this is only his second time there and 3rd or 4th tournament ever on grass.

So what happens when he has had as much time on grass as somone like Roger?

How can someone play that good when they have that much room for improvement???:confused:

Andres
07-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Nadal writes right handed, but gave signs of being ambidextrous when he was a kid. He played soccer with his dad and his uncle, and he was kicking equally good with both legs. His uncle spotted that, and a couple of years later, decided to switch his two handed forehand to a one handed lefty forehand. It wasn't a BIG change, not like he had a righty forehand, and decided to go lefty one day.

He was good (in the words of Toni), equally good hitting with both hands, and he said hitting with two hands was the easiest way. So Toni said to him "You gotta pick one, and play always with the same one". And there you go, Nadal started playing fully left-handed

Take a look at things now, he also kicks (at soccer) with his left leg.

helloworld
07-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Nadal is just a rare athlete that appears once every 50 years. He is extremely talented at any sports whether it requires kicking or hitting the ball. He was playing a junior national soccer team before he took tennis seriously. If he chose soccer, I believe he could do better than his uncle who is a great soccer player himself.

bammbamm
07-11-2007, 09:27 AM
hahaha funny but mean, but still funny!
anyways, nadal is a good guy even i as a fed fan must admit that he is nice and humble, so stop opening threads that mark him as frankenstein or something haha

I think you misunderstood me. What I meant by Frankenstein is that he's sort of created unnaturally as a tennis player because he's playing with his non-dominant arm. I'm not saying that he has a monster-type attitude. I know he's a nice and humble. I like him as a player.

Hot Sauce
07-11-2007, 09:30 AM
This thread is hilarious. Looks it takes a genious to spell genius :p

bammbamm
07-11-2007, 09:35 AM
This thread is hilarious. Looks it takes a genious to spell genius :p

Whoops. I must have been real tired. Sorry about that. I'm glad we have the spell-check police around.

malakas
07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Well he's a genius in doing the best with his nephew,but if Rafa wasn't such a huge talent,no matter how great the coach,he wouldn't win 3 RG in a row.

Marius_Hancu
07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Pretty clever guy.

So were/are:
Richard Williams
Seles's father
Bartoli's father
Tiriac (to manage and coach Nastase, Villas, Becker)
and so on ...

J-man
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Well most people who are conncected with the sport of tennis know that Lefty's have a distinct advantage. I'd have to say he's pretty smart

VaBeachTennis
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
It must have taken some creativity to create a lefty Frankenstein like Nadal. What do you think? Maybe it's luck too?

If Nadal was showing ambidexterous tendencies, I think it was a smart move to make him a lefty with a very strong two handed backhand like he because of his right handed tendencies as well. The only thing I think the switch hampered was Nadal's serve...............but who here wouldn't want to be able to serve like Nadal?

Young Pete
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
if he was a genius rafa should have won wimby thats all there is to it.

LarougeNY
07-11-2007, 02:38 PM
He was lucky that rafael is so talented, that rafa was able to come through and not only be a success as a lefty player, but become the best in the world after one person.

Alchemist
12-14-2013, 09:53 PM
In my opinion Toni is great coach.

KineticChain
12-14-2013, 10:22 PM
In my opinion Toni is great coach.

uncle tony, what did we say about bumping 6 year old threads about yourself?

Alchemist
12-14-2013, 10:27 PM
uncle tony, what did we say about bumping 6 year old threads about yourself?

That doesn't change reality.

firepanda
12-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Ooh, I've always wanted to use this!

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f20/712955d1337432645-i-hate-omega-part-two-necro.jpg

octobrina10
12-15-2013, 02:07 AM
If Nadal was showing ambidexterous tendencies, I think it was a smart move to make him a lefty....

It was natural for Rafa.
Rafa in Oct.2010: §§ When I started playing, I used both hands to hit both backhand and forehand. When I was 3 years old, I didnít have enough power, so Uncle Toni taught me to do that. After that, when I was about 9 or 10 years old, I had to use only one side, and it became that it was natural to use my left hand.§§

octobrina10
12-15-2013, 02:25 AM
Ambidexterous tendencies: Rafa plays golf right handed and billiard/snooker - left handed:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbiTHYrCQAAjEd3.jpg:large
Tennis: http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/tennis/ready-for-tennis-smiley-emoticon.gif

octobrina10
12-15-2013, 02:47 AM
Rafa's dominant foot is his left foot. He plays whatever football left footed.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bbhci0NCcAA3Jd3.jpg:large

pound cat
12-15-2013, 04:26 AM
I don't know whether he's a genius, but he's a really good coach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLm0zbDONUU

There's a page in youtube here of his coaching

Obviously his coaching has worked and he has a very attentive student.