PDA

View Full Version : Article - Signs show Nadal not far off from #1

FarFed
07-11-2007, 02:15 AM
http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/jul/11/signs_show_nadal_not_far_off_no/

Kalin
07-11-2007, 07:27 AM
Quote: "Of course, the possibility exists that Federer may not be the greatest player of this era."

I hope nobody's paying this guy a salary...

TheNatural
07-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Good article,

Nadal is yet to reach his potential and yet to peak, while Federer seems closer to his peak. AT the beginning of this year or last year Tony Roach said Federer is also yet to peak, and had a lot of improvement in him and that his best tennis would be in the next 2 or 3 years. If Nadal overtakes Federer once Nadal reaches his potential in a few years time then you can't really say Federer is the GOAT regardless of his slam count. You can just say he had the greatest achievements of all time. (GAOAT)

8PAQ
07-11-2007, 08:33 AM
So I guess after 2006 Wimbledon, Nadal just "decided" not get into a single final for 8 months. He easily could have just won all those tournaments since he is the best player out there and it it totally up to him, but he just felt like losing in quarters or semis. Yeah it all makes sense now. I wander if Nadal again will decide to lose in the quarters of the upcoming USO and AO.

InvisibleSoul
07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
There seems to be a logical fallacy going around that because Nadal played as well as he did and pushed Federer in the finals (which he absolutely did, and possibly outplayed Federer for the majority of the match (I'll give credit where it's due)) that this is how Nadal can always play, and will always play.

They're not considering the possibility that Nadal was playing well above his normal capabilities, and it's not a performance that he can repeat every single match.

I would argue that Federer, asides from serving, was playing at the most a very average game for his standards.

ACE of Hearts
07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Nadal played the match of his life and loss.I still think the conditions last sunday really helped Nadal and hurt Federer.

fastdunn
07-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Yes, there is a possibility of having a let down by losing twice
at the final. Kinda like Roddick losing repeatedly to Federer at Wimbledon.

This is very close race yet. Very close rivarly yet.

Caswell
07-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Yup, he's exactly one Roger Federer away from being #1.

fastdunn
07-11-2007, 12:04 PM
But 5 year difference in age matter. He'll eventually better Federer.

But if he wants to ctach him at #1, Nadal should hurry.
Other young phenoms are catching up...

FEDEXP
07-11-2007, 01:43 PM
Well the number 1 ranking can't change untill next year at the earliest.

fastdunn
07-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I mean they are catching up to #2 Nadal too.

Hops
07-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Well the number 1 ranking can't change untill next year at the earliest.

sure it can. I don't think it will, but it's certainly possible.

AceofBase
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I think Nadal is going to be number #1 this year. If only he can honor his skill and take it to the next level as for Roger he just good with his mind and just know how to hit the ball. As for Nadal he's the master since he both handed and can play different stlye.
-To be the best you got to master it.