PDA

View Full Version : Great video....

edmondsm
07-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Possibly the absolute high point of Agassi's career? Had just completed the career slam and was now appearing in his 4th consecutive slam final, after winning his 2nd USO.

From a neutral perspective its just some great slugging from two all time baseliners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK2nPvtmVJw

pj80
07-11-2007, 01:27 AM
gotta love that monkey-man running on the court with the camera.

edmondsm
07-11-2007, 01:32 AM
The monkey man makes the clip great.

GRANITECHIEF
07-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Good stuff.

Here is another great clip with young Roger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqE8qD4eNWY

edmondsm
07-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Good stuff.

Thanks a bunch. Watching that, even now, it's hard to think: 11 slams in 5 years?:confused:

crazylevity
07-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Man, Agassi and Kafelnikov were both punishing the ball, taking it so early. This is one good video to define "hitting on the rise"!!

TheNatural
07-12-2007, 12:18 AM
heres some more Agassi versus Sampras:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0oYsDzMTvgk

BravoRed691
07-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Possibly the absolute high point of Agassi's career? Had just completed the career slam and was now appearing in his 4th consecutive slam final, after winning his 2nd USO.

From a neutral perspective its just some great slugging from two all time baseliners.

Man you brought back so many memories with that vid. Absolutely loves Kafelnikov! Talk about a pure ball striker! Big man who can move. Moody. Sounds a lot like Safin actually...What a backhand! He seemed to be outhitting Andre during that first set!

I dunno what year it was but at the French, during the early rounds, Kafelnikov gave Andre some props by saying that he's the only man left in the draw that he is concerned about!

BR

edmondsm
07-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Man you brought back so many memories with that vid. Absolutely loves Kafelnikov! Talk about a pure ball striker! Big man who can move. Moody. Sounds a lot like Safin actually...What a backhand! He seemed to be outhitting Andre during that first set!

I dunno what year it was but at the French, during the early rounds, Kafelnikov gave Andre some props by saying that he's the only man left in the draw that he is concerned about!

BR

Well Kafelnikov won that first set, and was defending his title. He was moving great, so was Andre. They were hitting so hard it looked like it came down to natural reaction and the timing of the swings, which double A is the king of.

Once again, I'm a totally neutral source.:p

robin7
07-12-2007, 04:51 AM

The video clip was so clear! Thanks! Btw, what was thw final score?

robin7
07-12-2007, 04:57 AM

Wow, Sampras was so incredible, look at the jumping smashes!

robin7
07-12-2007, 04:59 AM
Good stuff.

From the video, there is not much changes on the way Fed played.

J-man
07-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Man, Agassi and Kafelnikov were both punishing the ball, taking it so early. This is one good video to define "hitting on the rise"!!Really. In that rally where the commentator said that it was the rally of the tournment the winning forehand from Kafelnikov was taken very early. Incridble strokes from both of them. I wasn't into the sport at all during 2000. I never got to see Kafelnikov playng. So it was a treat to see him play

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Agassi makes me puke. I wish Kafelnikov had won this.

J-man
07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
What don't you like about him? know your Russian Kafelnkov is russian so you would be a fan of his.

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
What don't you like about him? know your Russian Kafelnkov is russian so you would be a fan of his.

Agassi's a two-faced miser. Admittedly a very good player.

I actually never cared for Kafelnikov.

J-man
07-12-2007, 02:41 PM
double post

J-man
07-12-2007, 02:42 PM

I actually never cared for Kafelnikov.I guess thinking because you were russian and he was too doesn't mean that you liked Kafelnikov

caesar66
07-12-2007, 02:43 PM

I actually never cared for Kafelnikov.

care to explain?

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 02:44 PM
I guess thinking because you were russian and he was too doesn't mean that you liked Kafelnikov

Medvedev is a guy I really liked. A gentle soul that guy was.

simi
07-12-2007, 02:46 PM
I never got to see Kafelnikov playng.

You missed one of the good ones. Always exciting to watch. Funny, he got a lot of criticism here on this very message board about how much he played. Entered just about every tournament he could. Most said it was for the money. He was good!

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 03:55 PM
care to explain?

Agassi's a businessman. I already wrote about this in another thread. His image-first persona has never really changed. What changed was the image itself - and now a balder, nicer, more seasoned father/disciplinarian type on the outside.

This is the same guy that we loved to hate 10 years ago, except that he's learned to manipulate the media better, create a positive media image (a commodity) which shows up whenever he's not being bothered.

People love Agassi now for the same reason they used to hate him - because he's disingenuous. Conversely, I like him less than I used to. He was disingenuous but stupid when he was young, whereas now he is disingenuous, but much smarter in using his power towards his gluttony.

When Agassi was going through his third career crisis (circa 97) he was a ****y, insecure twit. He came back a year later with a Gandhi-like head, possibly a halo (depending on who you ask) and an ultra-sugary personality that was ever so pleasing to the media who quickly began to convert him from the borderline racist, pig-headed punk into the nicest guy in America - a quality only Kirby Puckett could match.

Since then Agassi has made millions on himself and now busies himself selling his overpriced merchandise.

FEDEXP
07-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Reminiscent of Mick Jagger, the London School of Economics graduate.

kaiotic
07-12-2007, 06:32 PM
agassi would have owned roddick all over the place
fed and rafa would have had their hands full with agassi..

kaiotic
07-12-2007, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqE8qD4eNWY&mode=related&search=

here's is some brilliance from both players: Fed at 18, and kafelnikov shutting you nay-sayers that he was indeed talented and can certainly hit with the best of them.. showing some nice touch at the net too.

simi
07-12-2007, 06:44 PM
agassi would have owned roddick all over the place
fed and rafa would have had their hands full with agassi..

???

lifetime H2H

AA 0 - RN 2

AA 3 - RF 8

I'll give you Andy...

AA 5 - AR 1

caesar66
07-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Agassi's a businessman. I already wrote about this in another thread. His image-first persona has never really changed. What changed was the image itself - and now a balder, nicer, more seasoned father/disciplinarian type on the outside.

This is the same guy that we loved to hate 10 years ago, except that he's learned to manipulate the media better, create a positive media image (a commodity) which shows up whenever he's not being bothered.

People love Agassi now for the same reason they used to hate him - because he's disingenuous. Conversely, I like him less than I used to. He was disingenuous but stupid when he was young, whereas now he is disingenuous, but much smarter in using his power towards his gluttony.

When Agassi was going through his third career crisis (circa 97) he was a ****y, insecure twit. He came back a year later with a Gandhi-like head, possibly a halo (depending on who you ask) and an ultra-sugary personality that was ever so pleasing to the media who quickly began to convert him from the borderline racist, pig-headed punk into the nicest guy in America - a quality only Kirby Puckett could match.

Since then Agassi has made millions on himself and now busies himself selling his overpriced merchandise.

What are your thoughts on his philanthropy? I am sure he makes money on himself, but many players just make money and hold on to it whereas he's at least put some into foundations and schools. Not starting a fight, i'm just interested in your position

kaiotic
07-12-2007, 07:05 PM
???

lifetime H2H

AA 0 - RN 2

AA 3 - RF 8

I'll give you Andy...

AA 5 - AR 1

YEAH..
i am talking about AA at his optimus prime.

yeah, Andy does suck!
jesus.. muh forehand is better than his.

kaiotic
07-12-2007, 07:08 PM
What are your thoughts on his philanthropy? I am sure he makes money on himself, but many players just make money and hold on to it whereas he's at least put some into foundations and schools. Not starting a fight, i'm just interested in your position AA gets my world of adulation for his "giving back to the community, and to where it counts" work. and that's why i Love him.. and his illustrious tennis career.. what a F*cking story!

CyBorg
07-13-2007, 09:18 AM
What are your thoughts on his philanthropy? I am sure he makes money on himself, but many players just make money and hold on to it whereas he's at least put some into foundations and schools. Not starting a fight, i'm just interested in your position

You have no idea how much of that is done by Steffie. And no one gives her any credit.

Without Steffie Andre wouldn't have his squeaky clean reputation.

The Gorilla
07-13-2007, 09:27 AM
HIS PHILANTHROPY WOULD BE A LOT MORE IMPRESSIVE IF HE DIDN'T NAME EVERYTHING AFTER HIMSELF A LA DEREK ZOOLANDER.THAT ISN'T CHARITY, THAT'S BUYING RESPECT.

CyBorg
07-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Ouch, my eyes.

DaveH
07-13-2007, 09:51 AM

So in your world people aren't allowed to change, mature and decide they don't want to be an a-hole any more? You think he really sat down one day and conjured up a devious plan to "manipulate the media." I'm sure he practiced being nice in the mirror for hours, so he could pull a fast one on all of us.

I've seen my share of top athletes (in various sports) up-close - on the way to the locker room, exhibitions, signing autographs, etc. and I can't think of a more genuine guy than Agassi. It's easy to spot the ones who are trying to act humble and generous but Agassi truly loves giving of himself and promoting tennis. If it's all a self-serving act, wow... he's the best actor in human history.

CyBorg
07-13-2007, 10:07 AM
So in your world people aren't allowed to change, mature and decide they don't want to be an a-hole any more? You think he really sat down one day and conjured up a devious plan to "manipulate the media." I'm sure he practiced being nice in the mirror for hours, so he could pull a fast one on all of us.

I've seen my share of top athletes (in various sports) up-close - on the way to the locker room, exhibitions, signing autographs, etc. and I can't think of a more genuine guy than Agassi. It's easy to spot the ones who are trying to act humble and generous but Agassi truly loves giving of himself and promoting tennis. If it's all a self-serving act, wow... he's the best actor in human history.

You're naive. Do you also think that Ronald Reagan defeated the Communists?

DaveH
07-13-2007, 10:14 AM
You're naive. Do you also think that Ronald Reagan defeated the Communists?

and you are cynical. I think by your standards anyone who performs any act of kindness must have an ulterior motive. How sad it must be to be you.

CyBorg
07-13-2007, 10:30 AM
and you are cynical. I think by your standards anyone who performs any act of kindness must have an ulterior motive. How sad it must be to be you.

That's oversimplifying it. Agassi is a multimillion dollar corporation in a human body. I don't altogether condemn corporations, but I don't celebrate their actions as random acts of kindness.

Steffi will go down as one of the more disliked women's tennis players in history and I can tell you that she has done much more in making Andre's charitable causes come to fruition than Andre himself. Andre's cardboard, a media wh0re - some just refuse to see it and prefer to celebrate his image rather than Steffi's much more geniuine and flawed essence.

People like you feed Agassi's bank account.

Fries-N-Gravy
07-13-2007, 10:45 AM
one of my favorite matches was agassi vs sampras semi at ao. baseline slugfests to me were never as enjoyable

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uh_DQ9dVCUg

a guy
07-13-2007, 11:21 AM

Did you see His dampner fly out on that double smash he hit it so hard.