PDA

View Full Version : Am I "doing something wrong"

zesty-man
10-09-2004, 09:56 AM
on thursday i broke my strings for the 3rd time in 3 weeks, and the 2nd time that week. basically, i broke the strings to my regular racket, had it strung, broke it again, and was forced to use my other older racquet that i didnt like too much. i was using the diablo and snapped the strings (technifibre e-martix 17's @62 lbs), then i had to go back and use my older racket, the babolat PD OS, which is wayyy different from the diablo. howver, the PD OS strings were pretty old, so i figured that it would break sometime.

anyways, after i broke my strings to my old and last raquet,i was walking off the court to find my friend's racquet, my coach yells at me across the court "where are you going!". i show him my strings yelled to him that i broke it again. he yelled back at me "you must be doing something wrong". i dont really know how to react to that. im hoping that hes been scarcastic, but im not too sure with that tone of voice that he used........... is there some truth in what hes telling me, or was he just mad at me? thanks!

thomas martinez
10-09-2004, 10:09 AM
No, not doing anything wrong. E-matrix 17 is not that durable of a string. Especially in a fairly open string pattern such as which the Diablos have. If you hit any sort of spin, you can kiss it good bye fairly quickly, especially if you are playing fairly often.

NoBadMojo
10-09-2004, 10:44 AM
in what location are you breaking the strings? i dont think that was very nice of your coach....as your coach, if he thinks you are doing something wrong, one would think he might say what it is he thinks you are doing wrong (unless he doesnt know tennis well enough to comment)?? next time he tells you that, why dont you ask him what it is you are doing wrong?

MChong
10-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Well, when I first started breaking strings, my coach said at least I'm getting the right idea of topspin and now I have an extreme western forehand... BUT, I dont' think that's actually the problem. I play the Diablo (Mid) myself, and the strings hold up pretty well in it. The problem I see is that you're using Tecnifibre E-Matrix, those are about as durable as uhh, undurable stuff.

zesty-man
10-09-2004, 04:36 PM
yea, i figured that the e-matrix strings were not very durable. it took me less than two weeks to break them... now im trying out some bow brand natural gut 17g, lets see how long that lasts. i dont break my strings in the middle of the racquet, but rather maybe a couple strings to the left/right. its not right smack dab in the middle...

as for myself, i dont feel that im hitting harder than i was before, but i am putting more spin than before. also, something that i've noticed is that i break my strings all on forehands.

thanks for the help guys!

Marc C.
10-10-2004, 02:38 AM
Guys, you are lucky to break a string a week, I though I could go back to psg duraflex (i used is a couple years ago), it breaks after about 10 mins on the ball machin and about 50 mins of hitting.

skuludo
10-10-2004, 02:47 AM
That coach might be on to something. You probly made a decision to use a string thats not durable. This might be the "wrong" your coach is refering to which was your decision.

Cruzer
10-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Your coach's comment "you must be doing something wrong" is either a weak attmept at sarcastic humor or the guy doesn't know what he is talking about and one wonders what qualifys this guy to coach tennis. Obviously string choice is a personal preference and there is no "wrong" choice.

Gaines Hillix
10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
My guess is your coach thought you might be "framing" your shots. If the string is snapping near the frame that may well be the case. You see, if you hit the ball hard near the frame, especially at the top of the frame, all of the energy of the ball strike will be focused on a very short piece of string and this can be enough to snap the string. A 17g string will be more subject to this than a thicker string. This can happen with poly strings too because they are so stiff. One thing that will help if this is what is going on is to tube all of the center mains at the top of the frame.

BigboyDan
10-13-2004, 04:58 PM
One thing that will help if this is what is going on is to tube all of the center mains at the top of the frame.

Always tube with gut - top and bottom.