PDA

View Full Version : Fed will peak again

2shots
07-11-2007, 02:45 AM
I believe that Fed is having a "off" year as per his standards. Even though he has won two slams, his tennis has not really been that good ( mark of a champ to find a way to win) I believe the pressure of "history in the making has been playing on his mind. What we are going to see now the FED has done 5 wimbledons in a row is a new and revitalised FED. Nadal is going to be a factor, but so are many others. I hope we get at least two more FED vs Nadal epic's This is not a player bahsing thread, so trolls, please stay away.

edmondsm
07-11-2007, 02:56 AM
Well Fed is really having a "normal" year by his standards. Sampras, at his best would have had like 10 loses by now. What is Fed sitting on 5? And it would be breathtaking if he lost more than once before the USO. So he goes into next year looking to break Samp's record.

Sub-topic: Did you ever think when you were watching Fed win that first Wimby that we'd be watching him win slam #11 five years later....ridiculous.

Rhino
07-11-2007, 03:02 AM
My take is that things aren't too bad for Federer in 2007. He won the Australian Open (without losing a set - a first for him). He's beaten Nadal 4 out of the last 6 times he's played him - including finally a win on clay this year (last year he won no titles on clay). When was the last time anybody won two slams in one year without an ATP warm-up event before either? He got his Borg equalling 5th consecutive Wimbledon and he's been in the last 9 slam finals (winning 7 of them!!). He's over 2000 ranking points ahead of the world number two with the US hard court season ahead of him which he dominates. Last year Rafa didn't even make a single final for the whole rest of the year post-Wimbledon, (in fact he had something like an 8 month title drought!), and yet Federer won every tournament he entered apart from Cinci.
One tough final (that he won) and people are saying "his tennis has not really been that good", it amazes me. Yes there were the Canas/Volandri loses, but look at Sampras. He would often lose and had his share of tight Wimbledon finals too, hell he never even managed one Roland Garros final.
Roger is still peaking and has been on one huge peak for the last three years. We're all impressed by Nadals effort on the slow grass of Wimbledon but I don't think Roger has too much to be concerned with in 2007.

2shots
07-11-2007, 03:03 AM
I must admit, that I did not believe fed was going to be able to put together an consistant run, I always knew he was good, but felt he did not have the consistancy, boy did he prove me wrong.....

2shots
07-11-2007, 03:07 AM
My take is that things aren't too bad for Federer in 2007. He won the Australian Open (without losing a set - a first for him). He's beaten Nadal 4 out of the last 6 times he's played him - including finally a win on clay this year (last year he won no titles on clay). When was the last time anybody won two slams in one year without an ATP warm-up event before either? He got his Borg equalling 5th consecutive Wimbledon and he's been in the last 9 slam finals (winning 7 of them!!). He's over 2000 ranking points ahead of the world number two with the US hard court season ahead of him which he dominates. Last year Rafa didn't even make a single final for the whole rest of the year post-Wimbledon, (in fact he had something like an 8 month title drought!), and yet Federer won every tournament he entered apart from Cinci.
One tough final (that he won) and people are saying "his tennis has not really been that good", it amazes me. Yes there were the Canas/Volandri loses, but look at Sampras. He would often lose and had his share of tight Wimbledon finals too, hell he never even managed one Roland Garros final.
Roger is still peaking and has been on one huge peak for the last three years. We're all impressed by Nadals effort on the slow grass of Wimbledon but I don't think Roger has too much to be concerned with in 2007.
I am not saying fed has been playing bad, just that he did not look great in the final against Nadal, and all credit to Nadal for not alowing Fed to play great. Fed has had a great year by anyone standard, but by his, not really his best. I do believe History played it's part. The one thing fed wanted was 5 in a row, he has that....his tennis will become even better now

edmondsm
07-11-2007, 03:09 AM
I must admit, that I did not believe fed was going to be able to put together an consistant run, I always knew he was good, but felt he did not have the consistancy, boy did he prove me wrong.....

Me and my buddy thought the same thing. I remember him saying after Fed had beat Safin at the 04' Aussie:

"Man he better enjoy this form, cause it don't last long."

It made so much sense because how many all time greats started winning slams at age 22?

Don't worry 2shots, we all eat a steady diet of our words around here.

AAAA
07-11-2007, 03:42 AM
I am not saying fed has been playing bad, just that he did not look great in the final against Nadal, and all credit to Nadal for not alowing Fed to play great. Fed has had a great year by anyone standard, but by his, not really his best. I do believe History played it's part. The one thing fed wanted was 5 in a row, he has that....his tennis will become even better now

Federer never looks great against Nadal because Nadal's natural game is more times than not a winning game against Federer. Even though grass isn't Nadal's best surface because he already has the game to make Fed look bad then even a small improvement in Nadal's grass court game will make it even tougher for Federer to win. His fans think the improvement is some sort of quantum leap, it's not for the reason stated and the fact that that he scraped through 2 five setters.

2shots
07-11-2007, 04:09 AM
I fully agree with what you are saying AAAA. I just feel that FEd was be weighed down by history. That is now out the way. I think we are going to see one of the greatest hard court performances in the next few months.

Nadal should not have been in the final, as youzny had him beat. But you make your own luck. And Nadal was in the right place at the right time against youzny

Rhino
07-11-2007, 04:16 AM
Federer never looks great against Nadal because Nadal's natural game is more times than not a winning game against Federer. Even though grass isn't Nadal's best surface because he already has the game to make Fed look bad then even a small improvement in Nadal's grass court game will make it even tougher for Federer to win. His fans think the improvement is some sort of quantum leap, it's not for the reason stated and the fact that that he scraped through 2 five setters.
The Wimbledon final was similar to the Rome '06 final, where each one barely won on' their' surface, sometimes the matches are tight, sometimes not.
I think what happens during the US hardcourt season will be very telling as to how much Rafa has improved. If we start seeing him in some finals then it's game on, but with the added court speed he has trouble with a handfull of other players.

2shots
07-11-2007, 04:33 AM
The Wimbledon final was similar to the Rome '06 final, where each one barely won on' their' surface, sometimes the matches are tight, sometimes not.
I think what happens during the US hardcourt season will be very telling as to how much Rafa has improved. If we start seeing him in some finals then it's game on, but with the added court speed he has trouble with a handfull of other players.
I don't believe Rafa has improved on hard courts, he plays to far behind the baseline...Blake and youzny to find form

pound cat
07-11-2007, 04:44 AM
I hope it happens in Montreal next month because then I'll get to see the re-peak.

2shots
07-11-2007, 04:58 AM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but I really can't see Nadal in any hardcourt finals...

rhubarb
07-11-2007, 05:13 AM
Sub-topic: Did you ever think when you were watching Fed win that first Wimby that we'd be watching him win slam #11 five years later....ridiculous.

Only four years later, actually, which makes it even more ridiculous :)

Andres
07-11-2007, 06:01 AM
OMG! When I readed his message, 15 seconds ago, I though in my mind my reply, and it is THE EXACT SAME SENTENCE YOU JUST SAID. Word by word !!!!

AaaaaaaaaaaaaarrghhhhhHhHHhhHhhhhHHH!! :shock:

**jumps off the window **

Morrissey
07-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but I really can't see Nadal in any hardcourt finals...

No party pooper at all. Nadal already won Indian Wells a few months back.

rwn
07-11-2007, 07:11 AM
No party pooper at all. Nadal already won Indian Wells a few months back.

Exactly. Nadal only struggles on fast hardcourts like Cincinnatti and the US Open. I can certainly see Nadal winning Montreal. He won that tournament 2 years ago.

Rabbit
07-11-2007, 09:04 AM
I believe that Fed is having a "off" year as per his standards. Even though he has won two slams, his tennis has not really been that good ( mark of a champ to find a way to win) I believe the pressure of "history in the making has been playing on his mind. What we are going to see now the FED has done 5 wimbledons in a row is a new and revitalised FED. Nadal is going to be a factor, but so are many others. I hope we get at least two more FED vs Nadal epic's This is not a player bahsing thread, so trolls, please stay away.

Peak? Hell, he's made the last 9 Grand Slam finals....if he peaks any more he'll win the next 9...

CyBorg
07-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Exactly. Nadal only struggles on fast hardcourts like Cincinnatti and the US Open. I can certainly see Nadal winning Montreal. He won that tournament 2 years ago.

Yes and Madrid on the home soil should be a decent bet as well. I see Rafa really making Roger uncomfortable in the ATP rankings, especially if he can muster an extended run in New York.

MoFed
07-11-2007, 09:27 AM
I think you guys are right. The weight of history has been taking it's toll on his court play. Yeah, he's had the results but not in his usual form. He's not relaxed on the court. Thank you 2shots, because I tried saying the same thing in another thread but it didn't quite come out right. But I think you hit the nail on the head.

As for Nadal, I'm still a bit skeptical about him on the summer hardcourts. I don't think they play the same way as Indian Wells or Miami. It would make for an interesting summer if Nadal finds his form on the summer hardcourts.

anointedone
07-11-2007, 09:35 AM
I guess it is possible this is true, but if that is really the case, that the pressure of striving for records is too much for him to play his top free flowing tennis then that is bad news for him. With each win he just gets closer, and if he was having trouble producing his top relaxed tennis game before because of that, it will only get worse. That plus Nadal becoming such a great player on all surfaces will compound the pressure further, not to mention Djokovic and Gasquet getting closer to being right there too.

TheNatural
07-11-2007, 09:51 AM
the 2007 WImbledon final was Feds peak so far as far as slam finals go.

2shots
07-11-2007, 11:21 PM
I guess it is possible this is true, but if that is really the case, that the pressure of striving for records is too much for him to play his top free flowing tennis then that is bad news for him. With each win he just gets closer, and if he was having trouble producing his top relaxed tennis game before because of that, it will only get worse. That plus Nadal becoming such a great player on all surfaces will compound the pressure further, not to mention Djokovic and Gasquet getting closer to being right there too.
I think the pressure of 5 in a row was his main goal. Fed has alwys said wimbledon is his main target, so lets see the american hard court season. To reply to your statement Morrissey, I believe Indian wells is about the pace of clay anyway. But I would love to see FED and Nadal have another go, their matches are such a pleasure to watch.

brolycjw
07-12-2007, 02:32 AM
I think the pressure of 5 in a row was his main goal. Fed has alwys said wimbledon is his main target, so lets see the american hard court season. To reply to your statement Morrissey, I believe Indian wells is about the pace of clay anyway. But I would love to see FED and Nadal have another go, their matches are such a pleasure to watch.

You're right, Fed and Nadal's matches are pretty much the closest matches you will see for any match that involves Fed for now.

caulcano
07-12-2007, 03:15 AM

Many people didn't see Nadal making last years Wimbledon but even managed to appear at this years.

Don't be surprised to see Nadal appearing in a few HC finals. He has improved. Though Federer will always be favourite.

Back to the OP:

I don't think Federer will peak again. He has already peaked for 3 straight years.

fps
07-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Maybe Fed should take a little time off.. You see Venus come out rejuvenated and blast everyone off court after her absence.. A couple of months recharging and resting up the knees could add a year to his top-level career?

2shots
07-12-2007, 03:55 AM
Many people didn't see Nadal making last years Wimbledon but even managed to appear at this years.

Don't be surprised to see Nadal appearing in a few HC finals. He has improved. Though Federer will always be favourite.

Back to the OP:

I don't think Federer will peak again. He has already peaked for 3 straight years.
Well, I am not going to argue with what you are saying Nadal has improved, but so has everyone else. nadal surprised me to reach the wimbledon final, and good on him for that. he did however have the luck of injured opponents, as did FED. Like I always say, you make you own luck, by being at the right place in the right time. Regarding Federer peaking again, I realy can only see him improving from a dismal Wimbledon final, he really did not play well. he needs a coach that is willing to tour with him, if he gets the correct support staff....watch this space and mor records tumbling

Dave M
07-12-2007, 04:16 AM
I'd like an off year like he is having!!

robin7
07-12-2007, 04:47 AM

I was just abt to type the same.

caulcano
07-12-2007, 05:31 AM
Well, I am not going to argue with what you are saying Nadal has improved, but so has everyone else. nadal surprised me to reach the wimbledon final, and good on him for that. he did however have the luck of injured opponents, as did FED. Like I always say, you make you own luck, by being at the right place in the right time. Regarding Federer peaking again, I realy can only see him improving from a dismal Wimbledon final, he really did not play well. he needs a coach that is willing to tour with him, if he gets the correct support staff....watch this space and mor records tumbling

I hope I'm wrong and you're right about Federer because he is truly an awesome talent.

I think a lot of people have been dissapointed with Federer's perfomances this year but I think it's more to do with those people's expectations (hoping he could do better in 2007 than in 2006?). They thought Federer could remain unbeaten in 2007 & complete a calendar GS but it was not too be.

fastdunn
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
competitions also got stronger.

shakes1975
07-12-2007, 01:13 PM
i think fed can peak again, at least at wim/uso, but in a different style.

looking at the way fed served in the wim final (he's back to serving like he used to in 2003-2004), he can win a lot of free points on his serve at wim/uso. so, if he can find a coach like paul annacone or tony pickard (edberg's coach), he can hone his net game even more. once he gains confidence in his net game, he can come to the net more and more (not always serve and volley, but approach and volley).

i can see him become more like sampras was in 1995-1996 on HC. s/v'ing on 1st serves, and approach and volley on second serves. he can also chip-charge more like sampras, becker, edberg used to do.

his current mindset is such that if he is passed at the net for a couple of points, he keeps away from the net for extended periods. i think he needs to change that a bit.

if he can incorporate this change without changing his baseline game in any way, i think we will see a new peak from him. he will present an added wrinkle to his opponents.

2shots
07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
i think fed can peak again, at least at wim/uso, but in a different style.

looking at the way fed served in the wim final (he's back to serving like he used to in 2003-2004), he can win a lot of free points on his serve at wim/uso. so, if he can find a coach like paul annacone or tony pickard (edberg's coach), he can hone his net game even more. once he gains confidence in his net game, he can come to the net more and more (not always serve and volley, but approach and volley).

i can see him become more like sampras was in 1995-1996 on HC. s/v'ing on 1st serves, and approach and volley on second serves. he can also chip-charge more like sampras, becker, edberg used to do.

his current mindset is such that if he is passed at the net for a couple of points, he keeps away from the net for extended periods. i think he needs to change that a bit.

if he can incorporate this change without changing his baseline game in any way, i think we will see a new peak from him. he will present an added wrinkle to his opponents.
I agree 100% with what you are saying. When Fed decides to play forward, it is awsome. Not to break any player down, but he managed to take to good sets off Nadal in 2006 and 2007 at the FO, by playing forward on the clay, it brings out the natural aggresion in his game

DraGoNoFfiR3
07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
fed is on his decline because he is getting fatter and older...cant you guys see!??! watch last years wimbledon and compare it to this years wimbledon....he was MUCH quicker and thinner!!!

2shots
07-12-2007, 09:58 PM
fed is on his decline because he is getting fatter and older...cant you guys see!??! watch last years wimbledon and compare it to this years wimbledon....he was MUCH quicker and thinner!!!
Thanks for your 2 cents, even though it is irrelevant

zacinnc78
07-15-2007, 03:57 AM
I think it really has a lot to do with his passion....and the pressure of making history .He's already won everything multiple times except RG .....maybe the drive is not there as much...even tho the talent is still there and maybe greater(his serve for one example is better then ever),and the fact that hes getting older and needs to be careful of injury.It would be nice to see #14 at RG lol then Wimby #6 to break the record and im sure hes thinking the same way.