PDA

View Full Version : Geez Maria

bebots
07-11-2007, 07:48 AM
LOL

Regarding pulling out of Fed Cup:

"I know this withdrawal is very frustrating for all my Russian fans, but I promise you it is way more frustrating for me," Sharapova said. "Nothing would (have) made me happier than beating the Americans on American soil."

That's a bit tasteless from her. Americans and Russians alike are raising eyebrows. Tennis to me is totally an individual sport, I don't necessarily root for Americans, I could care less where players come from. But why does Maria think that would've happened after getting an a** beating the last time she played Venus and the last two times she played Serena?

Probably not the wisest thing to say when she's defending her US Open title in a couple months.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=An780KGKjQiGLqTlVgDmE2I4v7YF?slug=ap-fedcup-sharapova&prov=ap&type=lgns

Lindros13
07-11-2007, 08:06 AM
First of all, I think she's ridiculous for calling herself Russian.

Since the age of 6 (nearly her entire life), she's played and trained in America. Sharapova is just as American as all of the other Americans that went through Bolliterri's camp in Bradenton, Florida.

If it weren't for America, where would she be?
Yet she says she's happy to beat Americans on American soil.
Seems out of whack to me.

Am I missing something?

crazylevity
07-11-2007, 08:19 AM
It's just to appease any nationalistic Russian fans who may be doubting her patriotism (and with good reason, too).

babySuri
07-11-2007, 08:23 AM
she doesn't belong anywhere. a lot of americans don't like her and most russians hate her. she should play for japan. they love her there. but then again, they love paris hilton.

Musashi
07-11-2007, 08:36 AM
she doesn't belong anywhere. a lot of americans don't like her and most russians hate her. she should play for japan. they love her there. but then again, they love paris hilton.

Haha, so true~

pirateofthecarribean
07-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Maria sucks. Her persistent shoulder injury = her downfall from WTA as a top player.

Sup2Dresq
07-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Can she speak russian well? Anyone have a clip or seen a clip where she responds in Russian? I am just way too curious.

CyBorg
07-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Can she speak russian well? Anyone have a clip or seen a clip where she responds in Russian? I am just way too curious.

I don't have a clip but she speaks with a certain difficulty.

Sup2Dresq
07-11-2007, 10:23 AM
I don't have a clip but she speaks with a certain difficulty.

Found one on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-G0tvEqsY&mode=related&search=

She seems to speak it fine, but I dont know russian.

Kudos Maria.

She is hot so she can call herself whatever she wants.

CyBorg
07-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Found one on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni-G0tvEqsY&mode=related&search=

She seems to speak it fine, but I dont know russian.

Kudos Maria.

She is hot so she can call herself whatever she wants.

I would say that it's at the level of a 9-year old or so. That's not bad - she struggles with some words but her pronunciation is all right.

I speak roughly at the level of a 12-year old. I immigrated at that age to North America and have more or less stayed at that level. That means I speak very well and can read Internet-based information in Russian, but nothing complex nor scholarly. I also don't follow certain contemporary slang in Russian, but that's expected.

Sup2Dresq
07-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I would say that it's at the level of a 9-year old or so. That's not bad - she struggles with some words but her pronunciation is all right.

I speak roughly at the level of a 12-year old. I immigrated at that age to North America and have more or less stayed at that level. That means I speak very well and can read Internet-based information in Russian, but nothing complex nor scholarly. I also don't follow certain contemporary slang in Russian, but that's expected.

So speaks about the same level Spadea speaks English.

"ain't afraid of ya"

superstition
07-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Russian is one of the most difficult languages for English speakers to learn. Since she knows both, it probably takes more effort to speak in English for her than if she were monolingual.

fgzhu88
07-11-2007, 11:51 AM
obviously, when refering to "the Americans" she's probably talking about the williams sisters. So good for her!! stick it to them!

pirateofthecarribean
07-11-2007, 01:12 PM
obviously, when refering to "the Americans" she's probably talking about the williams sisters. So good for her!! stick it to them!

And you are a traitor of America if you still support Maria. :D

charlottefromca
07-11-2007, 01:31 PM

LOL.. maybe she pulled out of Fed cup because the williams sisters ARE playing and she hasn't had a very good record against them.

Maria maria.. she obviously is just willing herself to "want" to play fed cup so she can go to the olympics next year and get a bronze medal or something (as much $%&* we talk about Sharapova you have to admit she usually at least makes the semis)

OrangeOne
07-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't beleive she meant it.
Media loves to take words out of context, she could have said it with a smile like joking. Just picture that and it would sound fine.

You could be right. Equally, smart and professional people, when facing the media, KNOW that things will be twisted and are careful to avoid such silly comments.

It still escapes me why people hate Sharapova.

The screaming doesn't help, neither does the attitude often seen. Anyways - if you can't see that different people like and dislike different people, well, you're the one with learning to do...

I have greatest respect for her. She's a workaholic and great humanitarian.

Workaholic? Hmm, believe it when I see it.

She donated lots of money to the children of Beslan, where around 1000 kids were taken hostage by Chechen terrorists;
She donated lots of money to Tsunami victims;
She just has been appointed UN Development Program Goodwill Ambassador
She has donated $100,000 for children hospitals that treat radiation related illness in Chernobyl area. She pledged more for other projects in the region.
As part of UNDP works to eradicate povery, children to school, safe drinking water and other programs

Good. People with stupendous amounts of money should donate stupendous amounts of money. But if she donates 10% of her earnings and the local garbageman donates 10% of his earnings, don't expect me to respect either more or less because of it.

So what the f... do you know? And what the f... have you done in you life?
Write it on the small pice of paper and then come back biitching about Shara.

Outside of that being outside the rules for these boards, and aside from me not knowing who you were aiming the question at, why do you think that someone who happened to be naturally gifted at tennis is in any way better than anyone else? Why do you choose to put a sports-star on a pedestal? If people want to whinge about someone, well, it does happen here. Doesn't diminish their own achievements, and just because someone hasn't won a tennis slam doesn't mean they haven't potentially achieved much more than someone who has.

CyBorg
07-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Russian is one of the most difficult languages for English speakers to learn. Since she knows both, it probably takes more effort to speak in English for her than if she were monolingual.

That's not true. I can say with all conviction that English is the easiest language to learn of all of them. She has no one to blame but her stupid brain.

superstition
07-11-2007, 08:24 PM
That's not true. I can say with all conviction that English is the easiest language to learn of all of them. She has no one to blame but her stupid brain.
I heard it straight from a Linguistics Ph.D that Russian is one of the most difficult language for English speakers to learn. I've also heard this from a Russian professor. (Japanese takes longer, by the way). I assumed that difficult works both ways.

Zverev
07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
.....Outside of that being outside the rules for these boards, ......
Thanks for pointing this out, I guess I became a bit agitated towards the end of my post. And my comments are not aimed at anybody in particular.

Why do you choose to put a sports-star on a pedestal? If people want to whinge about someone, well, it does happen here. Doesn't diminish their own achievements, and just because someone hasn't won a tennis slam doesn't mean they haven't potentially achieved much more than someone who has.

I don't put her on pedestal. It just amazes me how aged men can call young girl a ***** all the time. Is it well inside of these boards?
And all that just for the pitch of her voice? Geees, I've heard Venus screaming horribly on the low volley, and what?
I've seen Connors talking to Roddick, coach of one of the girl (forgotten her name) showing how to hit the ball, numerous other examples.
But Shara got the hammering over banana? Some half wits on these boards insist that's coaching and keep serious face. Come on....

CyBorg
07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
I heard it straight from a Linguistics Ph.D that Russian is one of the most difficult language for English speakers to learn. I've also heard this from a Russian professor. (Japanese takes longer, by the way). I assumed that difficult works both ways.

No, Russian is hard to learn because it's incredibly complex. Ditto for Japanese.

superman1
07-12-2007, 12:09 AM
The funny thing is that she can't speak Russian or English like a native. It's a pain to watch her interviews because she talks in such a lazy, drawling voice. She's a girl without a home.

sondraj
07-12-2007, 06:45 AM
The funny thing is that she can't speak Russian or English like a native. It's a pain to watch her interviews because she talks in such a lazy, drawling voice. She's a girl without a home.

Girl without a home, have you been around america lately ;) this is the place for people who don't speak English well. this is def their homes if they choose to make it that way. :)

superstition
07-12-2007, 06:55 AM
No, Russian is hard to learn because it's incredibly complex. Ditto for Japanese.
What do you mean, "no"?

Complexity is precisely the reason I heard from those professors.

English is a complex language, too. English only has 8 inflexional case endings, while Russian is loaded with them and other things that are difficult for English speakers to master. It also has non-Roman characters. Japanese has no cognates and the world's most complicated writing system.

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
What do you mean, "no"?

Complexity is precisely the reason I heard from those professors.

English is a complex language, too. English only has 8 inflexional case endings, while Russian is loaded with them and other things that are difficult for English speakers to master. It also has non-Roman characters. Japanese has no cognates and the world's most complicated writing system.

English is not complex. Of course part of it has to do with it being so very common globally today. It's the easiest language to learn today.

princess bossass
07-12-2007, 12:51 PM
English is not complex. Of course part of it has to do with it being so very common globally today. It's the easiest language to learn today.

Eh, I disagree with that. For example, most of my international students find romantic languages much, much easier to learn than the mutt that is English. Just my two cents. If by "easiest" you mean that English is everywhere so it's hard not to pick up bits and pieces of it, or its easier to immerse yourself in, then sure.

Sharapova's "lazy drawl" is Floridian. Lots of my family sounds just like her.

For not learning English until she was gradeschool age (past the age when most of us absorb language the fastest), I think her English is impressive. She says "amazing" and "at the end of the day" and "great" a whole helluva lot, but I figure that's because she's a twenty year-old athlete whose main objective in life isn't verbal brilliance.

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Eh, I disagree with that. For example, most of my international students find romantic languages much, much easier to learn than the mutt that is English. Just my two cents. If by "easiest" you mean that English is everywhere so it's hard not to pick up bits and pieces of it, or its easier to immerse yourself in, then sure.

Yes, it's the combination of these factors.

a) It is very simple gramatically

b) It is very widespread

princess bossass
07-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Yes, it's the combination of these factors.

a) It is very simple gramatically

b) It is very widespread

Simple compared to what? To Spanish??

sondraj
07-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I think is has to do with the individual, I don't think spanish is hard to read at all but speaking and understand it when some speaks it just kills me. It seems everything you learned as a rule is no longer a rule when people speak it.

superstition
07-12-2007, 01:05 PM
All languages are complex, in different ways. English lacks Russian's extensive case system but it has difficult spelling and pronounciation because there are many many more sounds in English than are reflected by the small alphabet.

Unless people who speak a certain language are all less intelligent than people who speak another, their language should be just as complex. However, it is possible, I suppose, to measure efficiency. Given that languages are always changing, though, efficiency should improve over time. For instance, English is evolving away from the case system toward a strict word order system. There are thousands of words that are no longer part of modern English, many of them redundant with words that are in use. Given that Japanese has the most complex writing system, it could be said that it's the least efficient when it comes to writing, but a Japanese teacher I know said when the government tried to get rid of Chinese characters in a reform, people realized how efficient they are for reading. They're not very efficient for learning, but make reading very fast.

English has many figures of speech which give foreigners trouble, too.

nc2
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Just for arguement's sake, for those who think Sharapova is an american because she's been here since 6, what about illegal immigrants who have spent more time in the US than their home country? Are they americans?

sondraj
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
Just for arguement's sake, for those who think Sharapova is an american because she's been here since 6, what about illegal immigrants who have spent more time in the US than their home country? Are they americans?

No they are illegal, maria is a legal citizen. That means she is Russian-american, not the other way around. But yes she would be a citizen of both countries so i don't see the problem with calling her either or.

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 01:13 PM
All languages are complex, in different ways. English lacks Russian's extensive case system but it has difficult spelling and pronounciation because there are many many more sounds in English than are reflected by the small alphabet.

Unless people who speak a certain language are all less intelligent than people who speak another, their language should be just as complex. However, it is possible, I suppose, to measure efficiency. Given that languages are always changing, though, efficiency should improve over time. For instance, English is evolving away from the case system toward a strict word order system. There are thousands of words that are no longer part of modern English, many of them redundant with words that are in use. Given that Japanese has the most complex writing system, it could be said that it's the least efficient when it comes to writing, but a Japanese teacher I know said when the government tried to get rid of Chinese characters in a reform, people realized how efficient they are for reading. They're not very efficient for learning, but make reading very fast.

English has many figures of speech which give foreigners trouble, too.

Let me put it this way: Learning basic English in the form of everyday conversation and the everyday forms of written communication is significantly easier than in most other languages. You are correct to say that English in its purest form can be complex, but that is not the English that is in common use globally.

I base what I say on the basic systems of communication - habitual interactions. This is what you learn when you immigrate to an English-speaking countries. You don't really learn Shakespeare or Hemingway. These systems are relatively simple in comparison to those of other countries I know. Canadian English, in particular, is virtually slang-free.

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 01:16 PM

To most languages.

simi
07-12-2007, 01:20 PM
To most languages.

Italian is pretty simple too. On a recent trip to Italy, when my minimal Italian failed me, I was easily understood when speaking Spanish.

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Italian is pretty simple too. On a recent trip to Italy, when my minimal Italian failed me, I was easily understood when speaking Spanish.

It's certainly not Chinese trigonometry. Not a very widespread language however.

P.S. Just to bring us back to the topic, my point is that Maria has an excuse for not speaking Russian with an acceptable fluency (considering the complexity of the language), but should be ashamed for her 30-world English vocabulary.

superstition
07-12-2007, 01:38 PM
I guess when you're bilingual, have won slams, and have been No. 1 in the world in a sport, you must trot out 50 cent words during press conferences to escape shame in a country that doesn't teach kids a second language until High School the majority of the time.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that she made proper use of the word myriad in her suicide note.

sondraj
07-12-2007, 05:55 PM
I guess when you're bilingual, have won slams, and have been No. 1 in the world in a sport, you must trot out 50 cent words during press conferences to escape shame in a country that doesn't teach kids a second language until High School the majority of the time.

Me thinks that is another knock on america, and I will refrain from commenting ;)

superstition
07-12-2007, 08:13 PM
It is a bad thing that America's K-12 system teaches secondary languages in High School and college instead of in elementary school. Science has found that people learn languages efficiency prior to puberty. I've had to suffer from this obsolete system personally. As a college student, I'm forced to take two full years of a language in order to graduate, and learning a language in your 20s is not nearly as easy as it is when you're a little kid. People who are bilingual growing up can master new languages with greater ease.

kaiotic
07-12-2007, 08:32 PM
she sucks! periiod.

superstition
07-12-2007, 08:33 PM
she sucks! periiod.
Fascinating. I personally think when someone wins slams they're fairly decent at tennis.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
07-12-2007, 08:36 PM
From that particular link, the audio wasn't so good to me, but she responded well. Not the best grammar but definitely understandable certainly. To be able to perceive and reply in a language that might be your ethnicity but is not spoken regularly around you, Maria did very well.

Russian I believe is not so very difficult to learn for an English speaker (word memory and grammar), but pronunciation can be quite difficult for them. As in reverse, its difficult to pronounce English for a native Russian speaker and not be accented. I think German is quite harder to memorize grammar, though you might know many words or phrases.

And just by personal example, it just seems to be one of those idiosyncracies about moving from country to country. I was born in US to 1st gen Russian immigrant and Alaskan native, but went back to Russia early on, before teens, though having spent my majority of adulthood in Germany, and speak German easier than English, and equal to Russian now. Just for those circumstances, American consider me Russian, but most Russians consider me American or OTHER. One can have a connection to both lands.

People who are bilingual growing up can master new languages with greater ease.

Bilingual or multiligual even more so.

Fedace
07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Anyone Know If Fedcup Is Being Streamed Anywhere Live ??

abenguyen
07-13-2007, 09:04 AM

isn't it fact that english is the hardest language to learn?

CyBorg
07-13-2007, 10:08 AM

Read carefully...

NO.

Rodditha
07-13-2007, 05:35 PM
That girl is arrogant and stupid, how in the hell does she says that she would be happy to beat the Americans in America whereas she gets demolished all the time when playing Americans, i'm certain she withdrew because the William sisters will be playing the singles.

rob61
07-13-2007, 06:42 PM
This is not the first time she has made an anti-American comment such as this. It is fine if she considers herself Russian... who cares? But to make comments such as these when she was trained in the US... on SCHOLARSHIP no less, and has enjoyed becoming the world's best paid female athlete through endorsements from America's capitalistic system, she should feel a little bit of gratitude to the country that has allowed her all of this.

CyBorg
07-13-2007, 06:46 PM
This is not the first time she has made an anti-American comment such as this. It is fine if she considers herself Russian... who cares? But to make comments such as these when she was trained in the US... on SCHOLARSHIP no less, and has enjoyed becoming the world's best paid female athlete through endorsements from America's capitalistic system, she should feel a little bit of gratitude to the country that has allowed her all of this.

Anti-American comments? Where?

BreakPoint
07-13-2007, 11:24 PM
No they are illegal, maria is a legal citizen. That means she is Russian-american, not the other way around. But yes she would be a citizen of both countries so i don't see the problem with calling her either or.
The U.S. does not allow dual citizenship. To become an American citizen, you have to renounce all other nations' citizenships.

Are you sure Sharapova is an American citizen?

BreakPoint
07-13-2007, 11:32 PM
People who are bilingual growing up can master new languages with greater ease.
I don't think that's particularly true.

Say you speak both English and French. I don't think that makes it any easier to learn Japanese or Chinese than if you only spoke English.

BTW, I learned Japanese when I was in my late-20's, and that was no easy feat.

BreakPoint
07-13-2007, 11:35 PM
I think it is for native Japanese speakers (and native Chinese speakers, too.)

saguar0
07-14-2007, 07:53 AM
The U.S. does not allow dual citizenship. To become an American citizen, you have to renounce all other nations' citizenships.

Are you sure Sharapova is an American citizen?

I believe she is not. Plus, I may not know Fed Cup rules to a detail, but I don't think she would be able to play for Russia if she'd have dual citizenship.
I was reading about Davydenko applying for a citizenship in Austria (in addition to his russian one) and they said he won't be able to play for Russia in Davis Cup after that.

Maria acts and speaks like an average american teenager. A lack of proper education shows too, - did she even had time to finish high school properly?
Her russian is all right for somebody who grew up outside of Russia and not reading russian literature or watching russian TV etc.

AS far as USA not allowing dual citizenships, it is true, but i think it is just formality. There is no procedure where you suppose to bring in all your foreign passports and hand them over to INS officer :-)
A lot of new american citizens still keep their foreign passports - it makes it easier to travel etc. Plus, believe you or not, it costs money to officially give up russian citizenship through the consulate :-D

FiveO
07-14-2007, 08:13 AM

Yeah (she's not my cup of tea either) but...

Madison Avenue and these companies apparently "like her" well enough:

Honda - Following her Wimbledon victory in 2004, Sharapova signed a one-year deal with the automobile manufacturer, but the deal was only valid in Japan.

...but not just Japan:

Land Rover - In April 2006, Sharapova signed a three-year deal to endorse their vehicles. One source with knowledge of the deal said it was worth approximately U.S. $2 million per year. Sharapova gets a free Land Rover Range Rover Sport in Florida and a chauffeured Land Rover Discovery wherever she wants.

Motorola - a fee, plus a mobile phone and all her mobile phone bills paid, plus a share of the income of downloads from HelloMoto/Maria.

Gatorade - energy drink

Tropicana - orange juice

TAG Heuer - In December 2004, she signed a deal with Swiss sports watch TAG Heuer to become their latest "sport and glamour" ambassador.

Nike Inc. -

Prince Sports, Inc. - Sharapova has committed to a "lifetime" of sponsoring the only tennis racket brand she's used as a pro. The endorsement deal will last until the end of her playing career and beyond.

Canon Inc. - Sharapova promotes both their office and camera products.

Sharapova's endorsements have earned her considerably more than she has won in tournament play. In June 2005, Forbes magazine listed her as the highest-paid female athlete in the world, with annual earnings of U.S. $18 million. (CBS, the American television network, reported in August 2006 that the figure is over U.S. $20 million.)

She is laughing (in English or Russian, her choice) all the way to the bank.

babySuri
07-14-2007, 08:39 AM

Honda - Following her Wimbledon victory in 2004, Sharapova signed a one-year deal with the automobile manufacturer, but the deal was only valid in Japan.

...but not just Japan:

Land Rover - In April 2006, Sharapova signed a three-year deal to endorse their vehicles. One source with knowledge of the deal said it was worth approximately U.S. $2 million per year. Sharapova gets a free Land Rover Range Rover Sport in Florida and a chauffeured Land Rover Discovery wherever she wants.

Motorola - a fee, plus a mobile phone and all her mobile phone bills paid, plus a share of the income of downloads from HelloMoto/Maria.

Gatorade - energy drink

Tropicana - orange juice

TAG Heuer - In December 2004, she signed a deal with Swiss sports watch TAG Heuer to become their latest "sport and glamour" ambassador.

Nike Inc. -

Prince Sports, Inc. - Sharapova has committed to a "lifetime" of sponsoring the only tennis racket brand she's used as a pro. The endorsement deal will last until the end of her playing career and beyond.

Sharapova's endorsements have earned her considerably more than she has won in tournament play. In June 2005, Forbes magazine listed her as the highest-paid female athlete in the world, with annual earnings of U.S. $18 million. (CBS, the American television network, reported in August 2006 that the figure is over U.S. $20 million.)

i don't give a crap about all the money she's making. i still don't like the girl. she is annoying. i can't wait to see her lose 'on american soil' at the USO. her PR person must've taken the day off when she said that quote.

she should add proactiv to her endorsement list.

superstition
07-14-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think that's particularly true.

Say you speak both English and French. I don't think that makes it any easier to learn Japanese or Chinese than if you only spoke English.
It doesn't make it easier to learn the pattern recognition needed to read the Kanji, but it does make it easier to pick up another language's grammar and vocab. Prior to puberty, the brain is more "plastic" and neuron density depends on how the brain is being used. This is why people who play instruments and start before puberty have greater dexerity. Brain scans have shown a higher density of neurons in those people when compared to people who started playing the same instrument after puberty. The brain arranges itself according to use, prior to puberty.

tennishead93
07-14-2007, 10:06 AM

...but not just Japan:

Gatorade - energy drink

Tropicana - orange juice

Nike Inc. -

she is seriosly a peice of junk. she gets all these AMERICAN sponsorships and she still acts like that. shes a little girl. if she still acts the way she acts when shes 26 it will be like paris hilton: second coming

FiveO
07-14-2007, 10:57 AM
i don't give a crap about all the money she's making. i still don't like the girl. she is annoying. i can't wait to see her lose 'on american soil' at the USO. her PR person must've taken the day off when she said that quote.

she should add proactiv to her endorsement list.

she is seriosly a peice of junk. she gets all these AMERICAN sponsorships and she still acts like that. shes a little girl. if she still acts the way she acts when shes 26 it will be like paris hilton: second coming

Like I said, I don't care for her, on several levels. However she has barely emerged from childhood and an extremely sheltered one at that. She won enough to put herself on the map and was "attractive enough" (I don't care for her looks either) that alot of corporate money was thrown in her direction. From the sheltering which appears to continue into adulthood, and the incredibly large dollars now at her disposal, do you think her view of the game, or the world and her place in it just may be distorted and more carefree than most young people with less money and celebrity? But in this case, what did she actually say?

The name calling being aimed at her is even more immature than I view her being. At least she has the excuse of being young.

As far as the perceived "flashpoint" of ire her comments have apparently raised:

1) she is Russian. Why, because that is, for whatever her personal reasons are, what she chooses to REMAIN. She didn't "defect" from the US to Russia, she was born Russian. Our country guarantees her right to make that choice.

Should Safin renounce his Russian citizenship and become a Spaniard, because he owes his successes to that country?

Our country allows foreign nationals to work, play, be educated and earn wages here. As others have already pointed out, our country does not allow dual citizenship. It also wraps everyone on its shores the freedom of personal choice. Got a gripe? Write your congressman.

2) While tennis is an "individual" sport, competitions like the Davis and Fed Cups are nation v. nation. Flag v. flag. Part of the original intent of these competitons, like the Olympics and other competitions was to bring nations together through competition, to show that different nations could do battle without going to war, where lives are lost. Believe it not, while no longer very true here, many nations look at these team competitions where the competitors represent their countries and countrymen and women as big important deals. Conquering nations become national heroes in the homeland on a scale non-Americans have trouble comprehending. Defeating a foe, especially what many view as an incredibly large and successful foe, at least historically, is viewed as a tremendous achievement in most other countries view. Remember our "Miracle" win of the USSR hockey team? Their's over us in basketball? Remember the hype going into each subsequent Olympics in those events? Doing it under circumstances amounting to "against the odds" i.e. on the opponent's home court, makes such an accomplishment an even more tremendous source of pride in any country.

3) The quote in and of itself is not a slight of anyone or any country. Believe it or not, many foreign nationals have as much pride in their birthplace as we do. So as proud as you or I may be for our country's successes in international sports I would submit that many other countries have a higher percentage of national interest and appreciation for those accomplishments. Americans, by and large, are at best indifferent if even aware of these competitons. They're a blip, if that, to mainstream America.

In this instance Sharapova didn't say anything inappropriate, ill-mannered or provocative. She spoke of her hopes for her national team, the one she plays for and represents. The only person who may have a legitimate gripe would be her Fed Cup coach, who may object to Sharapova providing the Americans some additional "bulletin board motivation".

BreakPoint
07-14-2007, 11:09 AM
It doesn't make it easier to learn the pattern recognition needed to read the Kanji, but it does make it easier to pick up another language's grammar and vocab. Prior to puberty, the brain is more "plastic" and neuron density depends on how the brain is being used. This is why people who play instruments and start before puberty have greater dexerity. Brain scans have shown a higher density of neurons in those people when compared to people who started playing the same instrument after puberty. The brain arranges itself according to use, prior to puberty.
Yes, I agree that it's easier to learn a language when you're young, but how about learning a third language when you're in your 20's. I don't think it really matters if you already speak only one or speak two languages, unless you're learning a language that's similar to one of the languages you already speak (e.g., Spanish-Italian, Japanese-Korean, etc.). I think learning one of the Asian languages later in life would be difficult whether or not you speak one or two European languages.

alwaysatnet
07-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Like I said, I don't care for her, on several levels. However she has barely emerged from childhood and an extremely sheltered raised:
3) The quote in and of itself is not a slight of anyone or any country. Believe it or not, many foreign nationals have as much pride in their birthplace as we do. So as proud as you or I may be for our country's successes in international sports I would submit that many other countries have a higher percentage of national interest and appreciation for those accomplishments. Americans, by and large, are at best indifferent if even aware of these competitons. They're a blip, if that, to mainstream America.

In this instance Sharapova didn't say anything inappropriate, ill-mannered or provocative. She spoke of her hopes for her national team, the one she plays for and represents. The only person who may have a legitimate gripe would be her Fed Cup coach, who may object to Sharapova providing the Americans some additional "bulletin board motivation".
Be careful you don't twist your back trying to contort yourself into knots covering for Sharapova(why? I don't know). Better lie down. And while you are there, try to re read that quote. She said:
"Nothing would have pleased me more than to have beat the Americans on American soil." It seems pretty clear to me what she is saying.
She didn't say,for example, "I would have loved to have represented Russia in this competition." Or she might have said, "I am very disappointed I won't get a chance to do well for my country,though I love my adopted country too."

No,what she said was that her greatest joy would come in beating America.
Why? Because of the way America has treated her? Because she dislikes the U.S. so much? Because of the way it's held her back?
Someone should ask Sharapova to carify her remarks. Otherwise it will stand that she has declared her loathing for the nation that gave her so much opportunity. What else could give her this much self admitted joy?
Would she enjoy beating France or Sweden or Japan that much? Someone should find out.

And as far as her rights to dislike America(apparently)? It's a strawman arguement to pretend people are questioning her right to be an ingrate.
If she wants to bite the hand that has fed her, then that's her right.
Just like it's the right of Americans to be offended by her incredible lack of graciousness and tact.

FiveO
07-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Be careful you don't twist your back trying to contort yourself into knots covering for Sharapova(why? I don't know). Better lie down. And while you are there, try to re read that quote. She said:
"Nothing would have pleased me more than to have beat the Americans on American soil." It seems pretty clear to me what she is saying.
She didn't say,for example, "I would have loved to have represented Russia in this competition." Or she might have said, "I am very disappointed I won't get a chance to do well for my country,though I love my adopted country too."

No,what she said was that her greatest joy would come in beating America.
Why? Because of the way America has treated her? Because she dislikes the U.S. so much? Because of the way it's held her back?
Someone should ask Sharapova to carify her remarks. Otherwise it will stand that she has declared her loathing for the nation that gave her so much opportunity. What else could give her this much self admitted joy?
Would she enjoy beating France or Sweden or Japan that much? Someone should find out.

And as far as her rights to dislike America(apparently)? It's a strawman arguement to pretend people are questioning her right to be an ingrate.
If she wants to bite the hand that has fed her, then that's her right.
Just like it's the right of Americans to be offended by her incredible lack of graciousness and tact.

You appear to be the one attempting the gymnastics here and its obvious that you should have warmed up before starting your routine as your dismount, in particular, ended in a face-plant, and a mandatory .9 deduction.

Where did Sharapova or more importantly I (as you seem to intimate in paraphrasing my post) indicate her "dislike" or "right to dislike" America?
Loathing? Your kidding? Right? There's interpretation of the written word and then there's apparently what you are doing. Geez. Are you alright? You had to have pulled something on that one.

She stated her goal, which was to beat the American team at the venue where it was being played, in America. Read and project into that what you will. Oh, that's right, you did and alot.

Any different than any athlete saying that to win in the other guys arena makes that win sweeter?

She's Russian, she was to play for the Russian Fed Cup Team against our US Fed Cup Team, in the USA, something her countryman were probably paying attention to and caring about, just like the 6 or 7 American Fed Cup fans here in the US and she was disappointing them by pulling out. She tried to put a band-aid on that for Russia, her team, her country.

From your performance in this post I take it that if our best player was withdrawing from a Fed Cup Match vs. Russia in Russia and made the same quote you wouldn't be upset because she wouldn't be biting "the hand that fed her". And you would hold her to the same standard of decorum and tact, right?

Or would you have expected Serena while waving matching miniature American and Russian flags, to say: "Regretably, I'm withdrawing due to <insert injury du jour> but I would have loved to represent the US of A to the best of my ability. I don't know who would have won this competition, even if I was able to contribute in my own small way as the Russians are a worthy and formidable team, but I leave having found Russia to be the best country on earth and the Russian people the fans on the planet." Yeah, okay.

It's hard to discern from your ramblings which ****es you off more:

1) the quote, or;
2) the fact that a citizen of a former communist block nation chose remain a citizen of that communist block nation, and/or;
3) she chose to play for the nation of her birth instead of defecting and playing for us.

Methinks you've been watching too many "UnderArmor" commercials. The "We must defend this house!" catch phrase must have hit a real chord with you huh? You need to get over it and resist allowing your emotions to effect your reading comprehension. Loathing? Again just a classic.

See the trainer, take a cold whirlpool, get a rub, hit the showers and again, remember to warm up and break a sweat before attempting these kinds of stretches let alone the gymnastics you attempted here.

sondraj
07-14-2007, 01:06 PM
You appear to be the one attempting the gymnastics here and its obvious that you should have warmed up before starting your routine as your dismount, in particular, ended in a face-plant, and a mandatory .9 deduction.

Where did Sharapova or more importantly I (as you seem to intimate in paraphrasing my post) indicate her "dislike" or "right to dislike" America?
Loathing? Your kidding? Right? There's interpretation of the written word and then there's apparently what you are doing. Geez. Are you alright? You had to have pulled something on that one.

She stated her goal, which was to beat the American team at the venue where it was being played, in America. Read and project into that what you will. Oh, that's right, you did and alot.

Any different than any athlete saying that to win in the other guys arena makes that win sweeter?

She's Russian, she was to play for the Russian Fed Cup Team against our US Fed Cup Team, in the USA, something her countryman were probably paying attention to and caring about, just like the 6 or 7 American Fed Cup fans here in the US and she was disappointing them by pulling out. She tried to put a band-aid on that for Russia, her team, her country.

From your performance in this post I take it that if our best player was withdrawing from a Fed Cup Match vs. Russia in Russia and made the same quote you wouldn't be upset because she wouldn't be biting "the hand that fed her". And you would hold her to the same standard of decorum and tact, right?

Or would you have expected Serena while waving matching miniature American and Russian flags, to say: "Regretably, I'm withdrawing due to <insert injury du jour> but I would have loved to represent the US of A to the best of my ability. I don't know who would have won this competition, even if I was able to contribute in my own small way as the Russians are a worthy and formidable team, but I leave having found Russia to be the best country on earth and the Russian people the fans on the planet." Yeah, okay.

1) the quote, or;
2) the fact that a citizen of a former communist block nation chose remain a citizen of that communist block nation, and/or;
3) she chose to play for the nation of her birth instead of defecting and playing for us.

Methinks you've been watching too many "UnderArmor" commercials. The "We must defend this house!" catch phrase must have hit a real chord with you huh? You need to get over it and resist allowing your emotions to effect your reading comprehension. Loathing? Again just a classic.

See the trainer, take a cold whirlpool, get a rub, hit the showers and again, remember to warm up and break a sweat before attempting these kinds of stretches let alone the gymnastics you attempted here.

Look that's B.S you don't come to a country that has offered you everything you owe your success to then turn around and disrespect it. Now if you feel she wasn't being disrespectful then that's you, but if you do feel she was being disrespectful and saying oh well that's the way the cookie crumbles then I say to every foreigner living on amercia soil eating american bread to survive appreciate it, because we didn't have to let your a** in this country in the fist so that you would have the opportunity to bite the hand that feed you.

FiveO
07-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Look that's B.S you don't come to a country that has offered you everything you owe your success to then turn around and disrespect it. Now if you feel she wasn't being disrespectful then that's you, but if you do feel she was being disrespectful and saying oh well that's the way the cookie crumbles then I say to every foreigner living on amercia soil eating american bread to survive appreciate it, because we didn't have to let your a** in this country in the fist so that you would have the opportunity to bite the hand that feed you.

I'll say it again, I don't particularly care for Sharapova. However she strikes me as the not atypical young, shallow, overpaid, overhyped on several levels, young athlete, no more no less.

Someone please point out where she describes her dislike for our country or evidence that she is not appreciative of the opportunities gleaned from her time in our country. Were those topics even addressed in the quoted statement?

Do you watch the NHL or MLB at all? Who do those league's imports play for in international competition? In their press conferences, do they describe how grateful they are for the opportunities granted them by the US? In every interview? Every time? Do they all become US citizens?

Just FYI, I am on the flag waving, more conservative than not, patriotic side of the left to right political spectrum and I obviously don't read in the disputed quote what some others have. These reactions to what actually isn't there seem like a parody of some delayed effects of the McCarthy Communist witch hunts. "She said she wanted to beat us. Better dead than red. She's a witch, burn, er...I mean a commie, deport her."

as far as you "say(ing) to every foreigner living on amercia soil eating american bread to survive appreciate it, because we didn't have to let your a** in this country in the fist so that you would have the opportunity to bite the hand that feed you."

a- yes we have to let "them" in if the INS says we do-if you don't like it write the legislature.
b- Lighten up Francis.

alwaysatnet
07-14-2007, 03:43 PM

She stated her goal, which was to beat the American team at the venue where it was being played, in America. Read and project into that what you will. Oh, that's right, you did and alot. All your "clever" gymnastics references aside, where they should be, when playing in an international competition,country vs. country, emotions can run high.
A statement like,"nothing would please me more than to beat the Americans"
carries a special emotional charge with it. Maybe not to you, but certainly to most people. You don't have to interpret her words or guess at their possible meaning. She comes out and says it.

Pay special attention to the key words "nothing would please me more".
That's slightly different then saying,"I just want to win" which is the spin you want to give her statement. I was careful to leave the door open and perhaps she didn't mean to indicate beating the nation that took her in would give her exceptional pleasure...but that's sure not what she said.
There is little projection in my analysis of her wording.
She said beating America would please her more than anything else. Why is that, I wonder?

She's Russian, she was to play for the Russian Fed Cup Team against our US Fed Cup Team, in the USA, something her countryman were probably paying attention to and caring about, just like the 6 or 7 American Fed Cup fans here in the US and she was disappointing them by pulling out. She tried to put a band-aid on that for Russia, her team, her country. No disagreement there. She isn't very well liked by her country women and several of them threatened boycotts should she play. I wonder why?

Or would you have expected Serena while waving matching miniature American and Russian flags, to say: "Regretably, I'm withdrawing due to <insert injury du jour> but I would have loved to represent the US of A to the best of my ability. I don't know who would have won this competition, even if I was able to contribute in my own small way as the Russians are a worthy and formidable team, but I leave having found Russia to be the best country on earth and the Russian people the fans on the planet." Yeah, okay. My "performance"?
You don't deal with very well with people that disagree with you,do you? I gave two alternate sentences Maria could've given that wouldn't have been nearly so offensive.
Try reading them sometime. It would be time better spent then on your attempts at parody.
But then, it isn't my job to put words in her mouth and I have to assume her own words were an honest expression of her feelings. That's what makes her an ingrate. Why she would derive special unsurpassed pleasure from beathing the Americans, I don't know. I can't think of a reason. Everyone wants to win. There's no crime there. But wanting to rub someone's face in the dirt and deriving special pleasure from it? How do you defend that?
Weakly, I suppose, given your attempts to do so.

1) the quote, or;

See the trainer, take a cold whirlpool, get a rub, hit the showers and again, remember to warm up and break a sweat before attempting these kinds of stretches let alone the gymnastics you attempted here. Since it's hard for you tell why I find her words so offensive,even though I've already posted why, let me tell you so you don't have to guess.
It shows a needlessly hostile reaction to the nation that gave her the opportunities she has gotten in life. What is so difficult to figure out?
Yeah, she wants to win, but why does beating this nation give her special satisfaction? For psychological reasons only you would know about you fail to see the signifigance of the words she chooses to say. Other posters don't seem to have that mental block. Good luck with your issues.

If you feed a stray and it bites you there is double injury there.
The bite itself and the insult of the ingratitude. I didn't make this issue up and I have never posted on Maria Sharapova, in any context, in my life.
I couldn't care less who she plays for. Russia, the U.S., Gambia, Cuba. I don't care really. But when I see such a glaring example of ingratitude from someone who really has no reason to kick about the hand that life has dealt her, I can't help but throw in my two cents worth.

pow
07-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Maria sucks. I'm glad she lost at the AO final so badly and I don't even like Serena that much!

CyBorg
07-14-2007, 04:10 PM
carries a special emotional charge with it. Maybe not to you, but certainly to most people. You don't have to interpret her words or guess at their possible meaning. She comes out and says it.

It's a bloody chiche. Sharapova speaks in clichees. Saying that she has said something especially heinous is like some kind of strange compliment as to her mental abilities to express dislike.

It's a standard cliche. Pick any sport in the world and there is always a guy who says: "boy, I would sure love to beat this team on their home soil."

Golden Retriever
07-14-2007, 04:33 PM
English is easy if you don't want to be a doctor or biologist. I find it ridiculous that in English there is a different Latin or Greek word for every bone in your body. A backbone would be a vertebral column for example. A human is a homosapien. They sound cool but you have to remember tens of thousands of them in order to become a doctor.

sondraj
07-14-2007, 04:50 PM
I'll say it again, I don't particularly care for Sharapova. However she strikes me as the not atypical young, shallow, overpaid, overhyped on several levels, young athlete, no more no less.

Someone please point out where she describes her dislike for our country or evidence that she is not appreciative of the opportunities gleaned from her time in our country. Were those topics even addressed in the quoted statement?

Do you watch the NHL or MLB at all? Who do those league's imports play for in international competition? In their press conferences, do they describe how grateful they are for the opportunities granted them by the US? In every interview? Every time? Do they all become US citizens?

Just FYI, I am on the flag waving, more conservative than not, patriotic side of the left to right political spectrum and I obviously don't read in the disputed quote what some others have. These reactions to what actually isn't there seem like a parody of some delayed effects of the McCarthy Communist witch hunts. "She said she wanted to beat us. Better dead than red. She's a witch, burn, er...I mean a commie, deport her."

as far as you "say(ing) to every foreigner living on amercia soil eating american bread to survive appreciate it, because we didn't have to let your a** in this country in the fist so that you would have the opportunity to bite the hand that feed you."

a- yes we have to let "them" in if the INS says we do-if you don't like it write the legislature.
b- Lighten up Francis.

Then be appreciative, I think she was disrespectful. If you don't that's your prerogative. Nope don't watch NHL but MLB don't hear to many players talk about how much they would love to beat some one from the country that has afforded them their success. And no this country doesn't have to let any one in our borders, we do. But we don't have to

And no, she isn't a witch, she's unappreciative. That's all, so maybe you should lighten up

oh and FYI I am Maria fan

FiveO
07-14-2007, 06:20 PM
All your "clever" gymnastics references aside, where they should be, when playing in an international competition,country vs. country, emotions can run high.

Pay special attention to the key words "nothing would please me more".
That's slightly different then saying,"I just want to win" which is the spin you want to give her statement. I was careful to leave the door open and perhaps she didn't mean to indicate beating the nation that took her in would give her exceptional pleasure...but that's sure not what she said.
There is little projection in my analysis of her wording.
She said beating America would please her more than anything else. Why is that, I wonder?

No disagreement there. She isn't very well liked by her country women and several of them threatened boycotts should she play. I wonder why?

My "performance"?
You don't deal with very well with people that disagree with you,do you? I gave two alternate sentences Maria could've given that wouldn't have been nearly so offensive.
Try reading them sometime. It would be time better spent then on your attempts at parody.
But then, it isn't my job to put words in her mouth and I have to assume her own words were an honest expression of her feelings. That's what makes her an ingrate. Why she would derive special unsurpassed pleasure from beathing the Americans, I don't know. I can't think of a reason. Everyone wants to win. There's no crime there. But wanting to rub someone's face in the dirt and deriving special pleasure from it? How do you defend that?
Weakly, I suppose, given your attempts to do so.

Since it's hard for you tell why I find her words so offensive,even though I've already posted why, let me tell you so you don't have to guess.
It shows a needlessly hostile reaction to the nation that gave her the opportunities she has gotten in life. What is so difficult to figure out?
Yeah, she wants to win, but why does beating this nation give her special satisfaction? For psychological reasons only you would know about you fail to see the signifigance of the words she chooses to say. Other posters don't seem to have that mental block. Good luck with your issues.

If you feed a stray and it bites you there is double injury there.
The bite itself and the insult of the ingratitude. I didn't make this issue up and I have never posted on Maria Sharapova, in any context, in my life.
I couldn't care less who she plays for. Russia, the U.S., Gambia, Cuba. I don't care really. But when I see such a glaring example of ingratitude from someone who really has no reason to kick about the hand that life has dealt her, I can't help but throw in my two cents worth.

Here's the quote, that you're trying to characterize as her "loathing" this country and "hostile" in slightly better context. She is talking about a current event, the next round of Fed Cup which at the time of the announcement (July 10) of her withdrawal was 4 days away (July 14).:

"I know this withdrawal is very frustrating for all my Russian fans, but I promise you it is way more frustrating for me," Sharapova said. "Nothing would (have) made me happier than beating the Americans on American soil."

She chose the word "happier" not "nothing would please me more" not "special unsurpassed pleasure", no, not even "an orgasmic release"

...yet you can't help but mis-quote it over and over again. No, you chose not to paraphrase you chose to wrap it in quotation marks, projecting your own emotions onto what she said to what was clearly a targeted audience, her countrymen and women: "all my Russian fans". She didn't address this statement to all her American fans.

Your analysis starts with mis-quotes and progresses to characterizations beyond dislike, LOATHING and now you've added HOSTILE. Your conclusion:

Someone should ask Sharapova to carify her remarks. Otherwise it will stand that she has declared her loathing for the nation that gave her so much opportunity.

Is that the either/or. If she doesn't clarify the statement, the straight line deduction is that she loaths America? In what alternate universe does that work.

What else could give her this much self admitted joy?
Would she enjoy beating France or Sweden or Japan that much? Someone should find out..

Hard to say as she wasn't due to play France, Sweden or Japan in four days.

How about this for a reach: damage control with her Russian fan base? No?

Maybe it was motivated by these comments, made by the coach and prospective teammate, Dementieva of the Russian Fed Cup Team slated to play the USA upon learning of Sharapova's second withdrawal from Fed Cup competition this year:

Sharapova Criticised for Fed Cup Withdrawal

By Vicki Hodges
Last Updated: 2:48pm BST 10/07/2007

Maria Sharapova has been accused of putting her own interests ahead of her country after pulling out of this weekend's Fed Cup.

Sharapova is yet to appear in the Fed Cup
The world No 2 had agreed to make her Fed Cup debut in Russia's semi-final against America but has since been forced to withdraw through injury.

Her call off has been criticised by Russia's head coach Vladimir Kamelzon and former national champion Anna Dmitrieva who both believe Sharapova, 20, never intended to take part.

"Just forgot about all these promises," Kamelzon said. "Her closest advisers are Americans and they would never allow her to play for Russia."

Dmitrieva added: "She never intended to play in the first place.

"All she wanted was to be included in the Fed Cup team so she would be eligible to play at the 2008 Beijing Olympics."

Sharapova had been struggling with a persistent shoulder injury heading into the Wimbledon champions but was able to reach the fourth round before being defeated by eventual champion Venus Williams.

It is not the first time Sharapova has intended to make her long-awaited Fed Cup debut.

Back in April she was meant to face Spain in Moscow but pulled out on the eve of the first-round tie with a similar injury.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2007/07/10/utsharapova110.xml

Yet you see your characterization of Sharapova's quote as the more reasonable?

And to answer a question of yours, I couldn't care that someone disagrees with an opinion of mine, especially you. I'm actually relieved that we don't think alike.

Oh and BTW if you can find the post where I described Sharapova's comments as gracious or tactful, please, point it out.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-14-2007, 06:37 PM
OHH, MY GOD.

GIVE IT A REST!!!!

Maria is not taking the Fed Cup tie or her comments so serious.

arosen
07-14-2007, 07:32 PM
She is probably considering becoming a US citizen. Why the heck not, she grew up in US. She owes nothing to Russians. Russian cap Tarpishev knows it, too, so he has always been respectful to her, he knows they would be lucky to ever get her to play for them.

Rodditha
07-14-2007, 07:50 PM
As an American, i would not support that ***** becoming a US citizen. She can become an Ukranian,Polonian.....these countries are closer culturally to Russia.

Zverev
07-14-2007, 08:20 PM
As an American, i would not support that ***** becoming a US citizen. She can become an Ukranian,Polonian.....these countries are closer culturally to Russia.

Man, looking at the comments you have posted here, it's hard to say where you are culturally close to, without offending the other party.

Rodditha
07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
If you can't read i'm culturally close to America as i said.
Mostly all American would be disgusted if Sharapova becomes a US citizen.I didn't mean to offend y'all Europeans.

Zverev
07-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Shara about Sochi 2014 and UN work
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPtX03rToI&mode=related&search=

Zverev
07-14-2007, 08:36 PM
If you can't read i'm culturally close to America as i said.
That's just what you think.

But America is not a nation of haters, is it?
Hate is for losers.

alwaysatnet
07-14-2007, 09:33 PM
No, you chose not to paraphrase you chose to wrap it in quotation marks, projecting your own emotions onto what she said to what was clearly a targeted audience, her countrymen and women: "all my Russian fans". She didn't address this statement to all her American fans. I did indeed paraphrase her quote. If the words happy and pleased aren't just about the same then that's news to me,and the dictionary. And it isn't surprising she was speaking to a Russian audience. She isn't that stupid. Just an ingrate. I see that she is cynically saying one thing to one part of her fan base, and another to the Americans.

And since this one blip on the radar screen won't chase away the big money from corporate sponsorships, she will go on with her privileged lifestyle. But something like this will stick in the craw of tennis fans that merely found her annoying or way too ubiquitous before. A few more slips like this could begin to draw attention to the carefully crafted "Golden Girl" and that would not go down very well in Sharapova land.

And to answer a question of yours, I couldn't care that someone disagrees with an opinion of mine, especially you. I'm actually relieved that we don't think alike. Especially me? Thanks for the honor.
I'm sure we do think alike, in the same sense that everyone's brain functions are esentially the same. It's just that after all your thinking you keep coming up with the wrong conclusions. That's your cross to bear.
In fact, after two attempts I can see there is no sense in trying to get through your wall of willfull ignorance so I am on to other things.
If you aren't offended by Sharapova's lack of tact and graciousness then I can't change your mind and any more attempts would be a waste of time.