PDA

View Full Version : Williams sisters success - emulate ?

bluegrasser
07-11-2007, 06:50 AM
I know, their old man (coach) seems like a whacko, but you can't argue with the results & with 'American" tennis on the downslide maybe we should look at what Richard is doing, at least with the woman's game. These girls skip quite a few tournaments and they still kick butt, they hit the ball as hard as many of the men players & mentally don't give up.
I wonder if Venus & Serena playing a lighter schedule is part of the plan, keeping them more fresh than the other girls - let's face it the schedule for the men & womans game is brutal.

grass_hopper
07-11-2007, 08:13 AM
you GOT Kids, Get busy!
their Dad does not play tennis either, concidence or Fate?

Marius_Hancu
07-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Can't argue with the results.

Richard's smart, in his own strange way.

alkibiades
07-11-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know if he qualifies as a genius, but what he did with his daughters was certainly very insightful. He basically taught them to play pro-style tennis from day one, and didn't let them get caught up in junior competitions, which often reinforce bad technique. Learning to hit hard with proper technique is the right way to learn tennis; you'll learn to keep it inside the lines as you age. But proper technique is the key. This is a game of physics, if you swing the racquet in a certain way then the ball will behave in a certain way. The right technique takes years to develope, and it takes even longer when you are constantly under pressure to produce results in matches. It would have been even better if he had taught, or had them taught, a little more variety. Once you can produce the shots, then you have to learn how to use your tools to play matches. Most juniors are developed in exactly the opposite way.

This way if thinking is true about any highly technical pursuit, whether it's painting, playing the violin, mathematics, golf, whatever. That's why the foreign academies produce better players. They pick some kids and then teach them how to play properly, and they don't worry so much about match results until the juniors are old enough for it to mean something.

bluegrasser
07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
you GOT Kids, Get busy!
their Dad does not play tennis either, concidence or Fate?

...and you know what that means - I got action :p - what's your excuse;)

pirateofthecarribean
07-11-2007, 01:00 PM
The Williams sisters used to play a lot, like what Jelena Jankovic does now. However, they hate injuries and hence do not play that much anymore. :D

VaBeachTennis
07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I don't know if he qualifies as a genius, but what he did with his daughters was certainly very insightful. He basically taught them to play pro-style tennis from day one, and didn't let them get caught up in junior competitions, which often reinforce bad technique. Learning to hit hard with proper technique is the right way to learn tennis; you'll learn to keep it inside the lines as you age. But proper technique is the key. This is a game of physics, if you swing the racquet in a certain way then the ball will behave in a certain way. The right technique takes years to develope, and it takes even longer when you are constantly under pressure to produce results in matches. It would have been even better if he had taught, or had them taught, a little more variety. Once you can produce the shots, then you have to learn how to use your tools to play matches. Most juniors are developed in exactly the opposite way.

This way if thinking is true about any highly technical pursuit, whether it's painting, playing the violin, mathematics, golf, whatever. That's why the foreign academies produce better players. They pick some kids and then teach them how to play properly, and they don't worry so much about match results until the juniors are old enough for it to mean something.

That is excellent insight that you have. That is how I was taught to play and will teach kids to play that way as well. I think Agassi was taught a similiar way by his father.

grass_hopper
07-12-2007, 03:58 AM
having the athlatic gene sure helps, every one of these pros had a father or mother that was pro on some other sport. No gene No luck.

predrag
07-12-2007, 04:58 AM

Actually, I claim that Williams sisters do not hit with good technique.
Just look at forehand of both girls. What do you think, why does it break down so often?
For both of them?
Backhand? Check how they rotate their feet throughout the stroke.
Venus' serve? Her head is hanging down trhoughout the stroke.

How did they do it then?
First of all, Richard seems to be dictator who does not respect to anybody.
Girls were forced to play from the day one long hours on the court.
There was no other option.
Actually if you go to Bollitieri's academy you will find a few despot parents like that that are pushing their kids to the limit from the age of 6 or 7.
Why doesn't everybody else succeed?
Williams sisters are phenomenal athletes that were able to develop their own
way of hitting and playing. They are so strong and quick that even with technique that is not optimal they dominate women's tennis.

Regards, Predrag

Marius_Hancu
07-12-2007, 05:03 AM
How about that comment heard on TV that he decided to procreate/sire/have Venus and Serena as a result of seeing on TV Virginia Ruzici pocketing $100,000 for her Roland Garros in 1978 or whatever?

predrag
07-12-2007, 05:19 AM
How about that comment heard on TV that he decided to procreate/sire/have Venus and Serena as a result of seeing on TV Virginia Ruzici pocketing $100,000 for her Roland Garros in 1978 or whatever?

Exactly.

Regards, Predrag

idono1301
07-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Actually, I claim that Williams sisters do not hit with good technique.
Just look at forehand of both girls. What do you think, why does it break down so often?
For both of them?
Backhand? Check how they rotate their feet throughout the stroke.
Venus' serve? Her head is hanging down trhoughout the stroke.

How did they do it then?
First of all, Richard seems to be dictator who does not respect to anybody.
Girls were forced to play from the day one long hours on the court.
There was no other option.
Actually if you go to Bollitieri's academy you will find a few despot parents like that that are pushing their kids to the limit from the age of 6 or 7.
Why doesn't everybody else succeed?
Williams sisters are phenomenal athletes that were able to develop their own
way of hitting and playing. They are so strong and quick that even with technique that is not optimal they dominate women's tennis.

Regards, Predrag

actually couldn't just be a mix of everything? i do think that they are great atheletes, but not playing soo often might be another reason.