PDA

View Full Version : Any COLLEGE TENNIS fans out there?

old_school_tennis
07-11-2007, 07:25 AM
I've attended some college matches through the years and they are a GREAT environment. Excellent competition (I live in the Pac-10 region) and it's always fun to hear the frat boys razzing their brother's opponent between points.

jaggy
07-11-2007, 11:45 AM
We had some college threads going through the NCAA's last year, fedace is the expert.

vsgut
07-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Top to bottom the ACC and SEC are dominate. I live in Atlanta so I get to see some pretty good college tennis.
ACC Men 8 teams in the top 50
ACC Women 10 teams in the top 50

SEC Mens 8 teams in the top 50
SEC Womens 8 teams in the top 50

I string for GT

vsgut

old_school_tennis
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
Top to bottom the ACC and SEC are dominate. I live in Atlanta so I get to see some pretty good college tennis.
ACC Men 8 teams in the top 50
ACC Women 10 teams in the top 50

SEC Mens 8 teams in the top 50
SEC Womens 8 teams in the top 50

I string for GT

vsgut

Pac-10 ain't bad either. Historically, Stanford's dominance is undisputed in both men's and womens. Recently there have been some chinks in the men's team's armor but they are always a force to be reckoned with. UCLA men are always top 5 and the women did really well this year too. But yeah, there are some really fun teams to watch out there in all of the big conferences.

The first match I attended was a Stanford team exhibition with both the men and the women in their basketball arena, Maples Pavillion. On the team were an upperclassman named Patrick McEnroe, Jeff Tarango, and a new kid on campus David Wheaton. The women had the Whitlinger twins. That event hooked me on college tennis--terrifically fun to watch.

vsgut
07-11-2007, 05:52 PM
No doubt the top teams in the PAC 10 have been awesome but the depth in the ACC and SEC make all matches a real fight.

I remember watching Matt Mitchell win the NCAA's individuals and he got an automatic in the US Open. He played some guy named Bjorn Borg in the first round. It was something like 6-1,6-1,6-1.

vsgut

old_school_tennis
07-11-2007, 08:11 PM
Yeah, those conferences have some powerhouses. It's been fun to track college players' progress in the pros. Some go one to do great (usually in doubles) and others fizzle out. That's always intrigued me.

bluetrain4
07-12-2007, 06:21 PM
I had the privilege of going to law school at Illinois from 2001-2004, including the season where Illinois won the team, singles, and doubles championships at the NCAAs.

Atkins Center, where they played home matches, was closeby and I got to see a lot of great tennis.

They are still very good (evidence by their runner up to Georgia this year), and I hope they can keep it up

I've always been a college tennis fan, but have always lived and worked in Big Ten country, a very good conference, but not up there with the PAC-10, ACC, or SEC.

vsgut
07-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I string Cary Franklin racquets. NCAA doubles champion for Illinois. He lives in Atlanta now.

vs gut

bluetrain4
07-12-2007, 06:48 PM
I string Cary Franklin racquets. NCAA doubles champion for Illinois. He lives in Atlanta now.

vs gut

I remember reading his name a lot before I got to Illinois, but he graduated right before I came.

He was of the generation of players that got Illinois on the national map.

caesar66
07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I love college tennis, being at UGA, I've gotta be a fan. Its one of the only sports we're actually dominant at (though we like to pretend we're good at all of them)

35ft6
07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
I like watching college tennis on TV whenever I get the chance. Not really sure if I could really get into a live event since I'm not in school any more. Would probably have to adopt a team first. But if I ever have kids and they play college tennis... I'll be hardcore. Hardcore.

slice bh compliment
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah, me too...I've always loved college tennis. Wish I would go more often.

The atmosphere! The screaming yutzes. The groupies. The middle aged booster club guys. The good, bad and the ugly tennis....it all takes a back seat to the fact that it is a bunch of student athletes pouring their hearts out. Just awesome.
I miss it.

It's also a very child friendly spectator sport.

Fedace
07-12-2007, 10:35 PM
You can see the best in College tennis at Stanford.

jaggy
07-13-2007, 09:43 AM
I had the privilege of going to law school at Illinois from 2001-2004, including the season where Illinois won the team, singles, and doubles championships at the NCAAs.

Atkins Center, where they played home matches, was closeby and I got to see a lot of great tennis.

They are still very good (evidence by their runner up to Georgia this year), and I hope they can keep it up

I've always been a college tennis fan, but have always lived and worked in Big Ten country, a very good conference, but not up there with the PAC-10, ACC, or SEC.

Is Kevin Anderson going back to U of I or is he done? He is doing well in the US summer futures and hallengers

PROTENNIS63
07-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Is Kevin Anderson going back to U of I or is he done? He is doing well in the US summer futures and hallengers

He'll probably go back to college since he wants to the win the national championship in singles. He has a great coach and part of a great program.. why leave??

old_school_tennis
07-14-2007, 08:54 PM
I have to say, Fedace, that Stanford tennis is tough to beat. I got hooked as a junior high/high schooler. I grew up about 15 minutes from Stanford and my buddy and I used to sneak in (don't tell Dick Gould) and watch amazing tennis. Jared Palmer, Jonathan Stark, Alex O'Brien, Teri and Tami Whitlinger, Debbie Graham, Sandra Birch. We would always attend the USC/UCLA weekend which were thrilling matches. A few times we snuck over to the box seats and sat in the McEnroe family boxes. Thought we were big shots!

As for Georgia, caesar66, you're right that UGA is tough. I remember I saw Al Parker play at the 18 and under national hardcourt tournament. He was the top seed and went on to UGA. Murphy Jensen was seeded there too. A 15-year old named Pete Sampras was in the field as a 9-16 seed. He was using a white Kneissl racquet and had just switched to a one-handed backhand. Wonder how that turned out for that kid....

LN_Dad
07-21-2007, 01:55 PM
I like to go to the SC/UCLA men's matches. Those are always intense and competitive.

prostaff18
07-22-2007, 10:07 AM
College Tennis is Awesome!!! I go to Michigan State University. We have had a few bad years lately with players getting in trouble off the court, and a few injury problems. But this year we have a solid line up. We do have a challenging schedule this year, but it could be harder.

sboo
07-22-2007, 11:29 AM
I will be attending the University of Minnesota this fall, and am very excited to watch some of my fromer high school teamates play as well as experiance college tennis for the first time

tennisrules531
07-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Yeah i saw a match between Michigan and Ohio St.! It was so intense because everyone was heckling Ohio St.

Aeropro master
07-23-2007, 05:51 AM
Georgia and Illinois are pretty good.

jaggy
07-23-2007, 06:48 AM
College Tennis is Awesome!!! I go to Michigan State University. We have had a few bad years lately with players getting in trouble off the court, and a few injury problems. But this year we have a solid line up. We do have a challenging schedule this year, but it could be harder.

I live in Bloomington, Indiana and go to both the mens and womens games, MSU men were pretty bad last year did they recruit well? Indiana men dumped their coach and have a really solid line up, if they avoid injuries Id say 3rd in the big10 (behind U of Ill and OSU) and a run in the NCAAs is possible.

jaggy
07-23-2007, 06:50 AM
I will be attending the University of Minnesota this fall, and am very excited to watch some of my fromer high school teamates play as well as experiance college tennis for the first time

In all my years of watching tennis I found Minnesota men the rudest most spoiled brats I have ever seen. I hope they change that soon.

gdsballer
07-23-2007, 08:05 AM
i live 2 minutes from elon and watch them a lot...a great year this year finished 23-3 and top 40 inthe nation or something like that, which was a nice surprise

Flyingpanda
07-23-2007, 08:25 AM
I go to UCLA and sometimes when I'm coming back from class I'll stop by and watch the matches. The SC/UCLA matches are awesome, hands down the biggest turn out of the year and the crowd gets pretty pumped.