PDA

View Full Version : borg v mcenroe

paolo2143
07-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi there wondering if anyone can help with this enquiry,i remember the sydney gold cup challenge series between borg and mcenro which borg won 2 matches to one( i remember he destroyed mac in first 2 matches 6-0 6-4 and 6-2 6-4)however i also definitely remember they had a challenge match seies in spring of 1979 i think in italy which borg won either 3 matches to one or 2 matches to one can anybody remember the exact results of this series ,and also does anyone know where i can buy dvd's of past matches between these great rivals,thanks paolo.

krosero
07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
This site has a lot of exhibitions featuring Borg: http://www.geocities.com/ricksasha27560/index.html

CyBorg
07-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Some interesting stuff there - like Borg's '82 and '83 matches (exos). Can't take them too seriously, of course, but they nonetheless grant a bit of perspective and this website is the only place I've found any information (that is, scores only) about that. It's noteworthy that Borg seemed to have quite a bit of success against Mac in '82 and '83, but lost a number of times to Connors. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy took these events more seriously than anyone else. We all know Jimmy...

I have never had any dealings with this website. Curious if anyone here has.

krosero
07-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes, I've gotten most of the old matches I've seen from him. A few dozen so far. The quality is mostly good, if you're not spoiled by HDTV. One match I ordered, the ball was nearly unviewable for one out of two discs (that was Cash-Pernfors).

CyBorg
07-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Interesting. I might try him out. I just don't understand what he means by "no profits are made from these matches". He doesn't sell them?

As for Borg, here's his page: http://www.geocities.com/ricksasha27560/Borg.html

Another interesting match: Borg beat Mac in a 1987 exo. This is after some serious boozing and screwing by both parties. I'd love to see this.

krosero
07-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Interesting. I might try him out. I just don't understand what he means by "no profits are made from these matches". He doesn't sell them?I hadn't noticed that, actually. Not sure what it could mean.

TheNatural
07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Cyborg, arn't you married to Bjorn Borg, can't you just ask him to make you a copy of the matches.

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
Cyborg, arn't you married to Bjorn Borg, can't you just ask him to make you a copy of the matches.

I didn't think of that. Thanks.

paolo2143
07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
thanks for info very good stuff,still curious if anybody can remember the challenge match series between Borg and Mcenroe in 1979 it definitely took place and i know Borg won the series despite getting death threats from the red brigade terrorist group during the series,it took place around march 1979.

CyBorg
07-12-2007, 03:31 PM
It's probably the one here that took place in 1982. That's Sydney Akai Gold Challenge.

http://www.geocities.com/ricksasha27560/Borg.html

paolo2143
07-13-2007, 03:06 PM
No cyborg it was defintely 1979 i was a huge borg fan and followed every match and he defintel met mcenroe over a 3 or 4 match chaleenge series in early 1979 which he won, i also know he beat mcenroe in a short challenge exhibition tournament in milan at end of 1979 also but it is very hard to dig up these results from the past.

CyBorg
07-13-2007, 03:29 PM
No cyborg it was defintely 1979 i was a huge borg fan and followed every match and he defintel met mcenroe over a 3 or 4 match chaleenge series in early 1979 which he won, i also know he beat mcenroe in a short challenge exhibition tournament in milan at end of 1979 also but it is very hard to dig up these results from the past.

I am fascinated by this, as I don't recall the series. If you hear anything please let us here at TW know.

Perhaps a long shot, but you could e-mail the fellow who maintains that website (with the tennis matches) and ask him.

paolo2143
07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi cyborg i finally found the information i was looking for i had to go to local library archive and trawl through past archive of papers and i found that they played a 4 match series in Europe each one in diffenr city over 4 straight nights between March 6th to fiday march 9th ,Borg won 3 of the 4 matches and the final match was a best of 5 sets challenge match held in Randers Denmark which Borg won in straight sets 6-4 6-4 6-4 despite receiving death threats and suffering from a heavy nose bleed at start of 2nd set.

CyBorg
07-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi cyborg i finally found the information i was looking for i had to go to local library archive and trawl through past archive of papers and i found that they played a 4 match series in Europe each one in diffenr city over 4 straight nights between March 6th to fiday march 9th ,Borg won 3 of the 4 matches and the final match was a best of 5 sets challenge match held in Randers Denmark which Borg won in straight sets 6-4 6-4 6-4 despite receiving death threats and suffering from a heavy nose bleed at start of 2nd set.

Incredible - thanks. If you have the full scores on you please post them here. If not, I appreciate the info you've posted here.

Fascinating stuff all in all and sounds like a big deal for sure. Makes me hang my head a little bit thinking of the Federer-Nadal do-gooder fest in the spring on the half-grass/half-clay. It was like pulling teeth. I'm all for peace and love amongst men, but someone should slip these guys a touch of hatorade.