PDA

View Full Version : Will Gasquet become more successful than Djokovic and Murray

NadalForever
07-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I think Gasquet has way more talent than either Djokovic or Murray. He has already made a strong statement at this year's Wimbledon. Will he be more sucessful than both of them? I think he will. What do you guys think.

anointedone
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
I dont think it is obvious which one of the 3 will be the best. I think Gasquet is the most talented, but that is not a gaurantee he will be the best. I think Djokovic is the one most willing to try to find every way to improve his game and abilities anyway possible, even by the smallest margin in something. Murray is an intriguing talent, but the evaluation of his maturation now is stalled by injury. He has to get over his mental block of playing Djokovic too.

J-man
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
He may have more talent then Murray or Novak D but that doesn't exctly traslate to being more sucessful. He has a great game but lots of links in the chain. He will need to fix them to become better.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does better than Murray in the long run but Dojkovic is a differnet story. He has much more firepower than Gasquet.

Michelangelo
07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
He may have more talent then Murray or Novak D but that doesn't exctly traslate to being more sucessful. He has a great game but lots of links in the chain. He will need to fix them to become better.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does better than Murray in the long run but Dojkovic is a differnet story. He has much more firepower than Gasquet.
Agree. No surprise if it ends up with a blown gasket... I mean Gasquet.

DariusRaiden
07-11-2007, 04:56 PM
I agree with the above posters that he is the most talented, but that having the most talent doesn't necessarily equate to having the most success (see Safin, Malisse, Stich, Rios, etc).

For me, the X factor is Gasquet's all-court, all-surface game. He grew up on clay but has proven his best surface is grass, so he can play on anything. He has had excellent results in Masters Series events on various surfaces, which is something that Murray hasn't yet (really only excels on hardcourts).

Gasquet probably has the least firepower of all the young players, including Djokovic, Nadal, Berdych, and Baghdatis in addition to Murray. However, he has the most varied arsenal, particularly when you look at his touch and his ability to volley. His movement is also underrated and is very smooth, quite similar in fact to someone like Pete Sampras or Roger Federer. All-in-all, he is very difficult to attack because he has heavy shots and is very intelligent with his use of angles and his ability to play from the front and the back of the court.

Only time will tell, but I think that he clearly has the most raw talent and flair. If he can put it together consistently, he will be scary, and I think his huge comeback win against Roddick will really get his confidence going. ALLES RICHARD!

fastdunn
07-11-2007, 04:57 PM
yes, if he loses his cap worn backward.

NadalForever
07-11-2007, 05:03 PM
I doubt whether Djokovic is really this good. Why did he need over four hours to beat out of shape Hewitt and 5 hours to beat a mediocre player like Bagdattis. Gasqeut got to the semifinal of Wimbledon much easier than Djokovic. And Gasquet has actually beaten Federer while only 18 years old whereas Djokovic is 0-4 against Federer. My prediction is that Gasquet will win 5 slams in his career. Djokovic will win 3 and Andy Murray will win 2.

anointedone
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
I doubt whether Djokovic is really this good. Why did he need over four hours to beat out of shape Hewitt and 5 hours to beat a mediocre player like Bagdattis. Gasqeut got to the semifinal of Wimbledon much easier than Djokovic. And Gasquet has actually beaten Federer while only 18 years old whereas Djokovic is 0-4 against Federer. My prediction is that Gasquet will win 5 slams in his career. Djokovic will win 3 and Andy Murray will win 2.

I would predict 3 for Gasquet, 3 for Djokovic, 1 for Murray, and definitely 0 for Berdych and Baghdatis.

Kaptain Karl
07-11-2007, 05:10 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he does better than Murray in the long run but Dojkovic is a differnet story. He has much more firepower than Gasquet.Yup. What he said.

Murray is a head case. I can't figure out whether or not Berdych is, too. Gasquet, Djoker and Baghy are looking better and better, and Djoker has a "bullet" these last few months. We'll see....

- KK

anointedone
07-11-2007, 05:14 PM
What about Monfils? Is he in the conversation, or is he proving to be a bust given the expectations for him out of juniors. I remember at the U.S Open two years ago when he played Djokovic in the first round. Djokovic is a bit younger then Monfils, and was leading the match slightly, yet the commentators, one who was Courier, just kept talking about how incredible a talent and future prospect Monfils was. How athletic and powerful he was, how talented he was, etc....The fact that Djokovic is a bit younger, and was leading the match, and was outhitting Monfils on alot of the points, seemingly meant nothing to them.

They only gave subtle recognition to Djokovic as a strong talent or future star. Like Courier noting casualy, "Djokovic as you see his bio, is also a young guy, who is pretty talented as well." Djokovic won a 5 setter in controversial fashion that day, with some fake cramping displays to buy more time, which he admited afterwords.

It is funny to see the two now two years later. Djokovic is on another planet from Monfils at the moment.

NadalForever
07-11-2007, 05:18 PM
What about Monfils? Is he in the conversation, or is he proving to be a bust given the expectations for him out of juniors. I remember at the U.S Open two years ago when he played Djokovic in the first round. Djokovic is a bit younger then Monfils, and was leading the match slightly, yet the commentators, one who was Courier, just kept talking about how incredible a talent and future prospect Monfils was. How athletic and powerful he was, how talented he was, etc....The fact that Djokovic is a bit younger, and was leading the match, and was outhitting Monfils on alot of the points, seemingly meant nothing to them.

They only gave subtle recognition to Djokovic as a strong talent or future star. Like Courier noting casualy, "Djokovic as you see his bio, is also a young guy, who is pretty talented as well." Djokovic won a 5 setter in controversial fashion that day, with some fake cramping displays to buy more time, which he admited afterwords.

It is funny to see the two now two years later. Djokovic is on another planet from Monfils at the moment.

Results is all that matters and Monfils has not produced anything significant.

NamRanger
07-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Djokovic has shown he can hang with the top 2 players in the world, Federer and Nadal. Even though he does lose the majority of the matches, it's not like he gets blown away like most people.

Gasquet is hard to tell, there are days where he's on, and others where he isn't. He hasen't figured out how to utilize all of his weapons yet.

Alexandros
07-11-2007, 06:18 PM

Murray brings more firepower onto the court than Gasquet, but I would say it is more Gasquet's choice than a lack of it. He's not a Hewitt who tries to generate more pace but simply cannot, his current playing style is usually rallying from the back of the court with heavy spin and occasionally cranking out a hard and flat shot when going for winners.

If he could be brought out of his shell to be more aggressive he has the power to execute a more dictating style of play.

FEDEXP
07-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I would just hope that both Djokovich and Gasquet become major contenders.

Kaptain Karl
07-11-2007, 06:29 PM
What about Monfils?
<snip> It is funny to see the two now two years later. Djokovic is on another planet from Monfils at the moment.I suspect you didn't mean "funny" to signify "humorous", but ironic.... As a HS Coach I can attest to how much predicting a kid's success is really "crystal balling."

A year ago I would not have picked Djoker to have risen so much in the rankings. I'd have chosen Baghy or maybe Berdych. (Probably why I'm still coaching high school, huh...?)

- KK

AAAA
07-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Djoker has a "bullet" these last few months. We'll see....

- KK

Never seen "bullet" used in this way before. Killer Instinct?

Kaptain Karl
07-11-2007, 07:53 PM
When a song is rising fast on the Music Charts, it's said to (for instance) be "at #13 with a bullet."

- KK

BkK_b0y14
07-11-2007, 08:24 PM
yes, if he loses his cap worn backward.

actually he loses more without his hat...

I would just hope that both Djokovich and Gasquet become major contenders.

they are actually good friends, like at the Estoril Open

helloworld
07-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Gasquet used to be as good as Nadal in Juniors though. I believe he was slightly better as well, but somehow Nadal suddenly became a lot more successful in the pros tour.

ATPattic
07-11-2007, 08:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think it is obvious which one of the 3 will be the best. I think Gasquet is the most talented, but that is not a gaurantee he will be the best. I think Djokovic is the one most willing to try to find every way to improve his game and abilities anyway possible, even by the smallest margin in something. Murray is an intriguing talent, but the evaluation of his maturation now is stalled by injury. He has to get over his mental block of playing Djokovic too.

exactly!!!

kaiotic
07-12-2007, 07:51 PM

agreed. and mo consistency

TENNIS_99
07-12-2007, 08:08 PM
There is something missing in Gasquet that Dojkovic has - the confidence to be #1. The problem for Dojkovic his his physical condition. He is not very physically tough witnessed by this year's Wimbledon and incidents with Federer earlier. But I think Gasquet has tougher way than Dojkovic. As for Murray, like his games, but shortfall in both physical and mental. Still root for the Scots everytime he's on court though.

MaxT
07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Don't forget Nodal is about the same age, so even the best of the three may have to play second string for the whole career in the post-Fed era.

dave333
07-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Gasquet used to be as good as Nadal in Juniors though. I believe he was slightly better as well, but somehow Nadal suddenly became a lot more successful in the pros tour.

Because Nadal got jacked and Murray didn't :)

david22
07-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Gasquet probably has the least firepower of all the young players, including Djokovic, Nadal, Berdych, and Baghdatis in addition to Murray. !

oki for Berdych and perhaps Baghdatis but less firepower than Nadal,Djokovic or Murray??? come on!

david22
07-13-2007, 11:14 AM
What about Monfils?

Monfils doesn t even deserve to be mentionned in the same league as youngsters like Gasquet,Djokovic or Murray.

erdega79
07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
1.Djokovic

2.Murray/Gasquet

p0w3r
07-13-2007, 11:49 AM

it has to do with his overwhelming advantage his style of play has on the clay court season...he is almost impossible to beat except for what? one loss to the great fed? this gives him tons of victories and points...especially one grand slam.

gasquet does not have this advantage...he is good on all surfaces, but better on faster ones. yet still its not enough to have the huge advantage like nadal does. I really hope he gets there though, i really like how he plays...kinda reminds me of fed with a flashier backhand.

Wawa
07-13-2007, 11:57 AM
i can't believe Gasquet is going to became better than Novak or Andy.
He had never won in a 5set match except the one with Roddick in Wimbeldon07

Tennisace1
07-13-2007, 12:04 PM
djokovic in my opinion will have alot of success early. Hes got the all court game, and very talented. Murray got more of the strategy and mental game as the two. Gasquet has alot of talent to. I do believe his weakness is mental, but i think once he gets good results consistantly, he would be more confident. Murray has only excelled in hardcourts, but hes got the game for all surfaces. So do all the player listed above.

Wawa
07-13-2007, 12:08 PM
I don't believe that Gasquet is so talented and my thought is that talented tennis players are not so good as Baghdatis, Novak and Nadal.

Hops
07-13-2007, 12:20 PM

not true. his five set record is 4-6.

david22
07-13-2007, 12:34 PM

and the one against Ljubicic??

fastdunn
07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
actually he loses more without his hat...

Hahaha.

What I actually meant is "if he loses his junior metality...".

laurie
07-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I want to see Gasquet becomming the best player in the world in the next 2 years.

Whether that happens of course is another matter.

Cindysphinx
07-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Djokovic isn't an all-court player. Doesn't transition to net. Doesn't have half of Nadal's (newly-displayed) finesse.

Gasquet has it all. Just needs more confidence.

If you can't give props to Gasquet for whipping Roddick, then I just don't know what to say.

Eviscerator
07-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Djokovic

Gasquet

Murray

I see them in that order, but they are close enough (esp. Djokovic/Gasquet) to wind up differently.