PDA

View Full Version : God Dammit Hernia!

defensive4
07-12-2007, 04:56 AM
I've just started tennis and i had to lift some heavy-*** box up and felt something pop, i went to the doctor and he says its a hernia. im on a waiting list for 6 months and i want to know if its ok to play for like 1-2 hours a week?? The doc recommends I keep to light stuff tho.

tangoll
07-12-2007, 05:48 AM
What do you mean "on a 6 months waiting list"? For what, for a hernia operation? When the doc says, no heavy stuff, he's also saying, don't do anything that would put heavy stress or exertion on your body.

I had a slight inguinal hernia about 10 years ago, and it became uncomfortable to even sit in a plane without feeling pressure on my lower abdoment, and though I still played some tennis, it became harder to move around. Then had the operation and it took about 2 or 3 months before I could get back on the courts for some light hitting.

Get your hernia taken care of, because if the hernia breaks through the retaining wall, it becomes a major medical problem. This is no laughing matter to be taken lightly.

TheKingOfClay
07-12-2007, 08:36 AM
my brother had one a few years back, and it's no joke!!! be VERY careful man, don't make it any worse... 6 months to what get it looked and fixed... that can't be right...:(
good luck!

WildVolley
07-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I just had a inguinal hernia repaired this April. It didn't hurt at all, I'm not sure when it happened, but there was a conspicuous bulge one morning where there shouldn't have been - it's a congenital weakness in my family. I kept playing tennis with it until it was repaired, though I definitely took it easy. You really don't want to rip it bigger and bigger if you can avoid it. The main danger for me was the possibility of the intestine pushing through and becoming constricted, though that would be obvious.

The hard part was the recovery. The doctor didn't put any restrictions on me after the first week. I held it in whenever I stood up for the first week(very sore), but luckily I didn't require any pain killers at all! I started playing tennis after the second week and pushed too far too fast and pulled something. That scared me enough to take another week off.

The main recovery issue I had was back pains. Apparently, I wasn't tensing my abdominal muscles as much and my lower back started to really kill me, which was annoying as until now my back has been bullet proof.

Three months later and I'm starting to feel like my old self again. Good luck!

K-LEG
07-12-2007, 10:27 AM
This is gross man, but anyways, my dad had it just don't life anything heavy try not to lift anything at all (use your hernia as an excuse). I suggest you don't play tennis for a couple weeks to just incase.