PDA

View Full Version : Nadal should play way more US Open series tournaments than last year

NadalForever
07-12-2007, 07:07 AM
I really hope he will travel to America as soon as possible and play Indianapolis and then LA and then Canadian Open. He made a big mistake last year by playing so little preperation tournaments.

IDK_My_BFF_Jill
07-12-2007, 07:13 AM
nadal's court style isnt fit for hardcourts...
and it has a lot wear and tear compared to soft surfaces like grass and clay

sondraj
07-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Yeah I really wish he would become a better hard court player but the fact of the matter is, he isn't ever truly going to be. His body can't hold up on it and he won't ever play too many hard court tournys. I hope he will eventually win at least on U.S open championship but I think it will come with a easy draw, and with soo many great hard court players I fear that is a long way away.

Benhur
07-12-2007, 07:17 AM
I really hope he will travel to America as soon as possible and play Indianapolis and then LA and then Canadian Open. He made a big mistake last year by playing so little preperation tournaments.

I disagree. Nadal should reduce his hardcourt play to a bare minimum if he wants to have a long career. The way he plays, hardcourts are a mean hammer to his body. I paste below my post from another thread:

[...] The possibility of injury, however, is something he [Nadal] and his entourage are very aware of. One of his feet has given him trouble and kept him from playing for a while. This problem seems to flare up always during hardcourt play. The foot was starting to bother him again this year after two hardcourt tournaments (Indian Wells, Miami) and it was the reason he refused to play Davis Cup. According to a recent article in the Spanish newspaper ABC, his team is now considering altering his schedule this year to try and relieve some stress from that foot. To this effect they say they are considering dropping Dubai and another indoor and replacing them with clay tournaments, so he can still get points but protect his foot. I agree that with his style of play, hardcourt tennis is something he should be very careful with and probably reduce to a strict minimum if he wants to stay healthy. If he overdoes it, hardcourts may end up destroying his feet and probably his knees.

ABC article:
http://tinyurl.com/2lkv88

Zaragoza
07-12-2007, 07:20 AM
He is supposed to play in Stuttgart (clay) next week and then take some rest before Cincinnati and Toronto. I think he is doing ok. Itīs rare to see a non-american top player in Indianapolis and Los Angeles.
Roddick and Blake will probably play there because itīs their favourite surface and they didnīt play a lot in the clay season. Different schedule plans.

Benhur
07-12-2007, 07:30 AM
He is supposed to play in Stuttgart (clay) next week and then take some rest before Cincinnati and Toronto.

The men play in Montreal this year, the women in Toronto (they switch every year). I plan on going to see him play if he is in the tournament.

Eviscerator
07-12-2007, 07:42 AM
He may as well, you are only young once, and in tennis young go's by very quickly.

sramirez77
07-13-2007, 06:49 AM
Yeah I really wish he would become a better hard court player but the fact of the matter is, he isn't ever truly going to be. His body can't hold up on it and he won't ever play too many hard court tournys. I hope he will eventually win at least on U.S open championship but I think it will come with a easy draw, and with soo many great hard court players I fear that is a long way away.

Who? Aside from possibly Mikhail Youzhny (who has a game that gives Nadal problems) and Djokovic (who is the true number 3 in the world) no one can stop Nadal from getting to the finals. Think back to Indian Wells and that beating he gave Andy Roddick. I don't know how you can say that Rafa at barely 21 will never be a better hard court player! I'm not saying that he is a favorite to win the 07 Open, but he has a lot of time.

TheKingOfClay
07-13-2007, 06:51 AM
will these matches be on TV??? thanks!

emcee
07-13-2007, 06:41 PM
If you have Tennis Channel...

Messarger
07-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Could it be due to his shoes? While his playing style involves a lot of running, i think he could play more aggressively and make his opponent run instead of him running. That'll at least make him run less. Back to the shoes, cant he have more cushion in it or something?

Fedace
07-14-2007, 05:32 AM

There is NO way this will happen. Rafa is still favoring his bad foot which he blames the rough and tough US hard courts. He always tries to minimize the outside hard court tournaments with exception of masters series. This is a good move on rafa's part. he still has a long career ahead of him and no reason to shorten it by permanently injuring his foot.:grin:

FiveO
07-14-2007, 05:59 AM
He has to walk a fine line between enough to improve on hards and not too much where he may break down again during the second half of the year going into TMC and even worse, jeopardizing next year's chance at the AO.

ATPattic
07-14-2007, 03:44 PM
unfortunatley hes only playing montreal and Cincinati