PDA

View Full Version : Should siblings be allowed in the singles draw together?

pirateofthecarribean
07-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Serena won 5 of her 8 slams by beating Venus in the final. That's just weird in my opinion. :D Anyway, I think they should have a rule that only one sibling is allowed in the single draw, and, if there are 2 siblings, they can still form a doubles team. Any thoughts? :D

Aeropro master
07-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Are you saying that Venus and Serena should switch off every grand slam? That woud definetly be stuipid and pointless.

dukemunson
07-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Very dumb idea...your telling me if another pair of siblings came around they shouldnt be allowed to both play? Should one of the Mannings have to sit on the bench when they play each other? One of the Barbers? It's an odd occurence but not one that can be limited or stopped...

pirateofthecarribean
07-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Are you saying that Venus and Serena should switch off every grand slam? That woud definetly be stuipid and pointless.

I mean only one sibling should be allowed in the main draw. :D

dukemunson
07-12-2007, 11:21 AM
No need to clarify pirate...it makes no sense and is ridiculous...

LttlElvis
07-12-2007, 11:24 AM
My quadruplets already hate your idea.

pirateofthecarribean
07-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Sibling rarely play with the intensity that they play against other players. So, their matches may not be worth the ticket money that people pay to watch. Anyway....

dukemunson
07-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes but limiting them in the off chance they meet each other in the draw seems fair, prudent or reasonable?

rabidcow
07-12-2007, 11:34 AM
"Sibling rarely play with the intensity that they play against other players. So, their matches may not be worth the ticket money that people pay to watch. Anyway...."

You haven't ever played your sibling have you....

VGP
07-12-2007, 12:49 PM
That's a dumb idea.

If a player can compete, regardless if they happen to have a sibling in the draw, I say let them play.

pirateofthecarribean
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
"Sibling rarely play with the intensity that they play against other players. So, their matches may not be worth the ticket money that people pay to watch. Anyway...."

You haven't ever played your sibling have you....

Don't have a sibling. :D

InvisibleSoul
07-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Absolutely moronic idea.

Makes absolutely no sense, and does not have any arguments backing up the proposal in the first place.

Don't have a sibling. :D

So exactly what do you base your claim that siblings don't play as hard against each other, as opposed to other opponents?

idono1301
07-12-2007, 04:46 PM
yeah i mean why does having a sibling in the draw affect your playing?

superstition
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
I mean only one sibling should be allowed in the main draw. :D
They're individual people. That they're sisters has nothing to do with their eligibility to play tournaments.

i.Radical
07-12-2007, 05:50 PM
what an idiotic topic

Hot Sauce
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Yes they should be.

VGP
07-12-2007, 06:06 PM
It's not like it's never happened on tour before.....you just must not like Venus and Serena.

What about Jeanie and Chris Evert......Manuela, Katerina, and Magdelena Maleeva....Javier and Emilio Sanchez.....Tim and Tom Gullickson....Bob and Mike Bryan.....John and Patrick McEnroe.

I'm sure there's been and will be a lot more siblings hitting the WTA and ATP tours.

Chauvalito
07-12-2007, 06:18 PM
No need to clarify pirate...it makes no sense and is ridiculous...

exactly...my younger bros have played in the same draw numerous times, and have played each other once in a final...

pirateofthecarribean
07-12-2007, 06:30 PM
But if siblings play each other in the final, no matter who wins, they take all the prize money of winner and runner-up anyway. That would be disadvantageous to players who have no siblings in the singles draw. No? :D

VGP
07-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Who says that they share the money?

pirateofthecarribean
07-12-2007, 06:48 PM
Who says that they share the money?

They don't? They are from the same family, no? :D

VGP
07-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I'm sure that's up to them, but I wouldn't expect that they will.

armand
07-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Should siblings be allowed in the singles draw together? In the ATP they aren't. That's why Roger Federer is rackin up the Slams; brother Reid Federer isn't there to take his share and challenge him.

There have been others...I wonder how many slams Pete Sampras woulda won if his brother Adonis Sampras was allowed to play.

tennis_nerd22
07-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Sibling rarely play with the intensity that they play against other players. So, their matches may not be worth the ticket money that people pay to watch. Anyway....

... are you an only child?

damasta55
07-12-2007, 09:00 PM
so what if they are siblings, if they can beat everyone else, they deserve to win. too bad for the losers, in tennis there is always a LOSER.

pirateofthecarribean
07-13-2007, 06:18 AM
In the ATP they aren't. That's why Roger Federer is rackin up the Slams; brother Reid Federer isn't there to take his share and challenge him.

There have been others...I wonder how many slams Pete Sampras woulda won if his brother Adonis Sampras was allowed to play.

How come I never heard of a Reid Federer?

emcee
07-13-2007, 06:21 AM
In the ATP they aren't. That's why Roger Federer is rackin up the Slams; brother Reid Federer isn't there to take his share and challenge him.

Haha and how about Constantinos Nadal? Heard he's pretty good but he plays righty and wears short shorts. Also he uses an APC...

pirateofthecarribean
07-13-2007, 06:30 AM
Yeah, man, WTA should enforce this rule just like ATP does. It's getting ridiculous with the Williams sisters!

CanadianChic
07-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Why on earth should siblings not be allowed to be in the same draw? They are separate players, no? The fact that the Williams sisters made it to so many finals is a testament of their skill. I find it a little creepy how the Bryan brothers always bump bellies after their games - should they not be allowed to play doubles? Maybe the OP should put something in writing to the ATP CEO about his feelings - we could have a whole new set of guidelines based on the "creep" factor. Haha. Thanks for the laugh!!

pirateofthecarribean
07-13-2007, 06:40 AM
The fact that the Williams sisters made it to so many finals is a testament of their skill.

Making it to the final and actually winning the tournament are two very different things. :D

raiden031
07-13-2007, 06:46 AM
But if siblings play each other in the final, no matter who wins, they take all the prize money of winner and runner-up anyway. That would be disadvantageous to players who have no siblings in the singles draw. No? :D

Oh so its not fair that siblings take home prize money for both winner and runner-up, but it IS FAIR that siblings should only get to play half as many tournaments as the average player to ensure they don't compete in the same tournament? Where's the logic? Just accept that your idea is poor and that you learned something new on the TW forum :grin:

CanadianChic
07-13-2007, 06:50 AM

Ahh...it's a big conspiracy of splitting the winnings now? This is a pro sports tournament, not a reality show - what they choose to do with their cheques is their business, although I would suggest making a down payment on some new personalities. One little thing that is forgotten is that they had to beat everyone else to make it to the finals so the honour and proceeds are theirs to relish.

Gemini
07-13-2007, 07:07 AM
My father, brothers and I have played in the same tournament draws before. Doesn't make sense to censor a person because the odds are greater that a particular family has a greater chance of bringing home the trophy.

Borat72
07-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Serena won 5 of her 8 slams by beating Venus in the final. That's just weird in my opinion. :D Anyway, I think they should have a rule that only one sibling is allowed in the single draw, and, if there are 2 siblings, they can still form a doubles team. Any thoughts? :D

You are joking, no? :D