PDA

View Full Version : The Real Roddick

Mr. Sean
07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I had a chat with one of my tennis teachers about wimbledon 07. Eventually I brought up the roddick and gasquet match. Then my tennis teacher mentioned his distaste for roddick. He basically mentioned how he hated roddicks attitude towards the game. Apparently roddick is a huge party animal and doesnt take his matches seriously. My tennis coaches friend was at indian wells and saw roddick outside of the court. Roddick is apparently a big drinker, known to down a lot of beer after each match. His friend saw roddick down many drinks and hook up with tons of women during indian wells. I dont see anything wrong with this as roddick is still young and famous. Its crazy how players do have double lives though one on the court and certainly one off of the court. Roddick truly is a frat boy.
Ill leave you with this
http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:95030

tennis_hand
07-13-2007, 01:29 AM
no wonder his stamina is so bad. drinking alcohol and spraying women is bad for stamina.

Hot Sauce
07-13-2007, 01:34 AM
Not very surprising to me. Now if he'd only drink after a win, his blood alcohol % would be half the legal limit!

origmarm
07-13-2007, 01:36 AM
A tennis player with a party personality...at least the man has some sense of perspective, I like!

lawrence
07-13-2007, 01:36 AM
so what hes young of course he has the urge to party
+ its his career, he can do what he wants with it

C_Urala
07-13-2007, 01:45 AM
Is it Roddick? or Safin? ;)

Rhino
07-13-2007, 01:56 AM
Yeah i think this is probably the best thing about Roddick. He finds himself famous, why not have a good time? People knock Safin for it but at the end of his life I doubt he'll think, "man I wished I hadn't had so much fun, then I could've maybe won another grand slam!"

rob61
07-13-2007, 02:33 AM
It worked for McEnroe

babySuri
07-13-2007, 02:44 AM
I would be drinking and partying too if I was a has-been like roddick.

dave333
07-13-2007, 04:37 AM
If I could score hot chicks cuz I'm a famous tennis star, I'd do it.

Fatmike
07-13-2007, 04:42 AM
no wonder his stamina is so bad. drinking alcohol and spraying women is bad for stamina.

yeah... I know...

rosenstar
07-13-2007, 04:45 AM
hey, I think it's great he's enjoying his life. I played tennis with a guy who went to highschool with him for a couple years. He said roddicks a really nice guy who just gets a bad rep

topsltennis
07-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Good for him.....

alkibiades
07-13-2007, 05:13 AM
Casey Stengel once remarked that it wasn't the sex that hurt athletes, it was staying out all night looking for it (or words to that effect). Truer words were never spoken. Roddick needs to leave the drinking to ladies; he certainly shouldn't need liquid courage to chat them up. He should hit the court, go to the gym, swing by the bar for a couple of Diet Cokes or Pelligrinos, then take two or three groupies home. The extra exercise won't hurt him any. There will be plenty of time to booze after his career is over. There was a time when you could party and be a top player, but that time has passed.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-13-2007, 05:42 AM
That explains a lot...

But good for him.

lolsmash
07-13-2007, 06:09 AM
OMG it's stifler from American Pie.

TheKingOfClay
07-13-2007, 06:22 AM
sounds to me about a few jealous guys here... man the guy is famous... if you were you would eat up the spotlight too...:)

alcap26
07-13-2007, 06:50 AM
I love gossip....my uncle's first cousin's twice removed aunt' tennis coach said. You gotta love a right from the source confirmed incident. (if you have not figured it out this post is a heaping pile of sarcasm)

TheKingOfClay
07-13-2007, 07:05 AM
I love gossip....my uncle's first cousin's twice removed aunt' tennis coach said. You gotta love a right from the source confirmed incident. (if you have not figured it out this post is a heaping pile of sarcasm)

good one... not to mention, did a few Beers ever hurt anyone???:)

fgzhu88
07-13-2007, 07:35 AM

haha, i noticed that too!

MoFed
07-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Thank you! Let's leave the my best friends friend said stuff to little girls in school yards.

KBalla08
07-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Is it Roddick? or Safin? ;)

thats the same question that popped into my head :)

theace21
07-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Famous, rich, playing a sport traveling all around the world and women throw themselves at him...Poor guy

Nadal_Freak
07-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Hahaah. That is hilarious. I see the comparisons. :D

SideSpinPDR
07-13-2007, 10:07 AM
He's living it up while he can. He won't always be able to live this way, so why not do it while you can. You only live once, and you should try to live as much as you can with the time that you have.

dukemunson
07-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I had a chat with one of my tennis teachers about wimbledon 07. Eventually I brought up the roddick and gasquet match. Then my tennis teacher mentioned his distaste for roddick. He basically mentioned how he hated roddicks attitude towards the game. Apparently roddick is a huge party animal and doesnt take his matches seriously. My tennis coaches friend was at indian wells and saw roddick outside of the court. Roddick is apparently a big drinker, known to down a lot of beer after each match. His friend saw roddick down many drinks and hook up with tons of women during indian wells. I dont see anything wrong with this as roddick is still young and famous. Its crazy how players do have double lives though one on the court and certainly one off of the court. Roddick truly is a frat boy.
Ill leave you with this
http://www.collegehumor.com/picture:95030

I desperetly want to continue disliking the guy, so please stop posting stuff like this...it kinda makes me like and appreciate the guy as it makes him somewhat relatable...damnit...

Eviscerator
07-13-2007, 10:16 AM
People knock Safin for it but at the end of his life I doubt he'll think, "man I wished I hadn't had so much fun, then I could've maybe won another grand slam!"

You are probably right about Safin not having regrets, but that is pretty sad. He has his whole life after tennis to party like there is no tomorrow and he will still be young, wealthy, famous, etc.
Instead he blew the AO final with those two women in his box. He could have partied with them after he won, rather than the night before and came away the winner. His lack of training and the vacuum between his ears cost him the chance to be one of the great ones with all the talent he has.

Mr. Sean
07-13-2007, 10:43 AM
You are probably right about Safin not having regrets, but that is pretty sad. He has his whole life after tennis to party like there is no tomorrow and he will still be young, wealthy, famous, etc.
Instead he blew the AO final with those two women in his box. He could have partied with them after he won, rather than the night before and came away the winner. His lack of training and the vacuum between his ears cost him the chance to be one of the great ones with all the talent he has.

Wait a minute wahts the stroy behind the two women in his box. Never knew about this?

dukemunson
07-13-2007, 11:19 AM

The guy has had an amazing career. I always find it humorous how people rip the guy for being somewhat normal, somewhat like the rest of us. The guy has been training all his life, is it not understandable that he would enjoy a few drinks from time to time and perhaps a model or two. Not everyone can do the Lance Armstrong training regime. I think Safin realized that if he took tennis as serious as a guy like Chang he'd have probably quit by the time he was 17. Most people need a balance...I don't appreicate that as it makes him more relatable and understandable. As for the constant attacks on his mental game, are you serious??? The guy was mentally tough enough to take out Fed in 5 in Australia...and stay in the top 10 for a pretty damn long time. Lets give the guy some credit...yeah he doesn't have samps mental toughness but how many people do...and just because he's showing all his emotions doesn't mean a guy like Dent or Davydenko aren't just as mad. Mentally Safin is stronger then everyone on this board...and as a bonus he's taking home a lot more attractive women then anyone on this board...

Free_Martha
07-13-2007, 12:43 PM
He sounds like a normal healthy 23 year old to me.

Big Fed
07-13-2007, 05:39 PM
If I could score hot chicks cuz I'm a famous tennis star, I'd do it.

Same here. But i already can.

z-money
07-13-2007, 05:51 PM
i can second this after he did a charity event here after the masters cup in 06 he went out to the bars and had fun with a girl who works at the tennis club the event was at. Is it bad form for him to be doing it or is it ok. he is still 4 in the world but only 1 slam?

raspell38120
07-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I own a bar/restaurant at a tour stop. Roddick comes in often late night as he is playing the night match. first time there he played the finals on West Coast and had to take a long flight in. ate at 2:00 in the morning Sunday night/Monday morning. came in about 3 or 4 times that year. NEVER, went crazy. Ate his late night meal, relaxed with friends, and went about his business. We had a couple of people treat him like a celebrity but while everyone knew he was there, no one really bothered him and he was NOT a party animal. This has been going on for the last three years. I don't care what he does as I would sure take the opportunity but if anything he was the opposite of these rumors. I also know his trainer that traveled with him for about 3 years. no stories like this. I'm not saying he's a saint, but I know him or have heard of him as a typical American kid, good manners, friendly with everyone.

iambt21
07-13-2007, 11:49 PM
I dont know what it is , but i dont really like roddick very much anymore...he appears so cocky to me. it seems like he cares so much about what he looks like and not even whether or not he wins.... anyone agreeee?

Im not saying he's a mean guy. im just making some statements. dont miscontrue them.

Polaris
07-14-2007, 12:42 AM
I dont know what it is , but i dont really like roddick very much anymore...he appears so cocky to me. it seems like he cares so much about what he looks like and not even whether or not he wins.... anyone agreeee?

Way to go. You start one thread saying that people are too tough on Nadal, and another saying that Roddick is a cocky has-been.

Some introspection is in order, no?

kabob
07-14-2007, 02:28 AM

Not at all. Compare his play style now to when he won the US Open back in 2003. Back then, all he had was that huge serve and a loopy but powerful forehand. No net game to speak of and with his backhand the only thing he could do was push the ball back into the middle of the court to keep it in play.

The competition back then was not what it is now. He could dominate a few years ago with just the serve and forehand. Now? Not so much. The rest of the field has gotten head and shoulders better. Compare the dominant #1 at the time, Lleyton Hewitt, to the dominant #1 now, Roger Federer. Tennis has evolved and Andy Roddick has had to do the same to keep up. His overall game is so much better now than it was a few years ago and he continues to improve and work on his shots. I don't understand why you Roddick haters aren't saying the same about everyone else on the Tour? After all, Federer and Nadal have pulled away from everybody and Roddick is still #3 in the world.

Dolphina
07-14-2007, 02:34 AM

Maybe he was getting too restricted and pushed as a child, and now he needs his freedom:)
Andy, getting an alcoholic and womanizer because hes so frustrated about his career?:mad: :p

brolycjw
07-14-2007, 02:47 AM
Djokovic is #3, Roddick is #4.

Roddick has improved his game, his forehand may not be as powerful as before, but he still can place it well with decent pace, and it can win him points, so nothing wrong with that. His backhand has improved tremendously, while not a weapon, it is more consistent with depth and better on the return of serve. Anyone who claims he is worse than before is obviously a hater.

More often than not, players improve, they only seem to be worse because other players improve more than them.

iambt21
07-14-2007, 03:46 AM
roddick is the #1 player from the USA. this means he can get all the chicks he wants at parties. he knows his career is on the way down regardless of how much he trains. djokovic finally took over his #3 spot. when will roddick win another slam with federer, nadal and djokovic in the game? can't really blame him for drinking and partying. when do you want him to party, when he's 40?

i dont know . i just dont like his cocky factor.

dave333
07-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Still has the serve...

lilxjohnyy
07-14-2007, 07:50 AM
isnt roddick third???

Rpp
07-14-2007, 08:24 AM
I saw him play a guy a year or two ago and he was really bad about calls. It was gamesmanship coupled with his arrogance. He ended up losing the match and I was thrilled every time his opponent won a point. He got some bad calls in his favor and was trying to break his opponent's rhythm with incessant complaining to the judge. I am not a Roddick fan. I don't mind is someone gets angry with themselves for making mistakes at all. But, I don't like it when a player gives the other player attitude and uses call challenges to try to break up the opponent's game.

Well Roddick is not the first player like this...nothing special. Maybe he just had read Winning Ugly.
Anyway Roddick as any other player works in show business...nobody wants to come to see robots playing. If you hate him it is just another reason to come to see his match.

iambt21
07-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Not at all. Compare his play style now to when he won the US Open back in 2003. Back then, all he had was that huge serve and a loopy but powerful forehand. No net game to speak of and with his backhand the only thing he could do was push the ball back into the middle of the court to keep it in play.

The competition back then was not what it is now. He could dominate a few years ago with just the serve and forehand. Now? Not so much. The rest of the field has gotten head and shoulders better. Compare the dominant #1 at the time, Lleyton Hewitt, to the dominant #1 now, Roger Federer. Tennis has evolved and Andy Roddick has had to do the same to keep up. His overall game is so much better now than it was a few years ago and he continues to improve and work on his shots. I don't understand why you Roddick haters aren't saying the same about everyone else on the Tour? After all, Federer and Nadal have pulled away from everybody and Roddick is still #3 in the world.

i dont think roddick is as good as he used to be.... his forehand used to be so huge and now its just in and boring. He needs to let lose a bit more and stop running around the ball so much. hes got to rip some forehands with his open stance more often.

idj49
07-14-2007, 08:59 AM
i can second this after he did a charity event here after the masters cup in 06 he went out to the bars and had fun with a girl who works at the tennis club the event was at. Is it bad form for him to be doing it or is it ok. he is still 4 in the world but only 1 slam?

Isn't after The Master Cup the off-season? He's not allowed to have fun even in the off-season now?

tennishead93
07-14-2007, 09:01 AM
give hima freakin break. he is the normal 24 yr old american. like my cuzin

rosenstar
07-14-2007, 09:02 AM
I don't understand why everyone has a problem with Roddick. I like him. I think that, from a personallity standpoint at least, he's very easy for the average tennis player to relate to. More so than anyother player on tour. I don't see him as cocky at all. But, I've never met him personally, so I might be completely wrong.

tennishead93
07-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Same here. But i already can.

ur either already famouse or u like saying things

rommil
07-14-2007, 09:09 AM
Well Roddick is not the first player like this...nothing special. Maybe he just had read Winning Ugly.
Anyway Roddick as any other player works in show business...nobody wants to come to see robots playing. If you hate him it is just another reason to come to see his match.

Just tune in to The Young and The Restless if you want drama. I watch tennis for the tennis. You are right on the account other players do it too but there's something about how Roddick goes about it that annoys the hell out of me. Safin whines but he does it in a funny way. Roddick does it with arrogance and he acts like he's being picked on. I never liked watching Roddick.

rommil
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't understand why everyone has a problem with Roddick. I like him. I think that, from a personallity standpoint at least, he's very easy for the average tennis player to relate to. More so than anyother player on tour. I don't see him as cocky at all. But, I've never met him personally, so I might be completely wrong.

I have watched him at the US Open practice courts a couple of times. He was hitting with Brad then at times using his left hand. He practiced his serves( yeah he hits his serves hard and you can appreciate it more up close). He seemed very oblivious with the attention and looked like he was goofing around because there were a lot of people watching. Federer was also practicing at an adjacent court with Hrbaty and Agassi was hitting with Cahill at another court. Federer and Agassi were practicing very focused and business like.

mileslong
07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
the problem i have with roddick is that besides his ugly game he is still immature as he was 5 years ago. he whines about calls in every match, he continues whining about calls three games after it happened. he *****es at his opponent every time they challenge a shot spot call against him. basically still acts like the teens i see playing at my club everyday, grow up roddick...

Mr. Sean
07-14-2007, 09:24 AM
are you kidding roddick is a hard worker. I have a picture to prove it.

http://0.content.collegehumor.com/d1/ch6/6/0/collegehumor.0c0014f62675de9d662ca56087f438b2.jpg

superstition
07-14-2007, 09:27 AM
I don't like Brad Gilbert's attitude, especially the way he acted when Murray was injured, so if his Winning Ugly book suggests that players should behave like that, I disagree.

There is a difference between being a robot and being a *****.

Eviscerator
07-14-2007, 09:58 AM
anyone agreeee?

:roll: :roll:

Very few people will, and to call a player in the top 5 in the world a "has been" is absurd.

ACE of Hearts
07-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Never cared for Roddick's ugly game.He is top 5 because his serve can be effective and some people just cant block it back.When Gasquet figured out to block the serve, he was ousted at wimbledon.

musicalmedic81
07-14-2007, 10:46 AM

Very few people will, and to call a player in the top 5 in the world a "has been" is absurd.

I agree 100%. I think as long as Roddick is still hanging around in the top 10, noone should call him a has been. Look at guys like Moya, Hewitt, Kuertan, Ferrero, and Henman, all of whom were top 10 who have slumped in recent years and dropped significantly in rankings. Yet you hardly ever hear anything negative said about those guys on these boards. Yet Roddick, who is STILL among the top 4 players in the world gets bashed daily by haters here who think he sucks and has no game. Doesnt make much sense does it?

And whoever thought that roddick doesnt care whether he wins or loses obviously didnt see the press conference after the gasquet match. He was completely crushed. You're also forgetting the biggest "whiner" ever in this sport had to be John Macenroe. The guy would literally throw a temper tantrum on the court, but noone bashes him for it. I just dont see where all the hate comes from.

I think if anything, Roddick should be commended for hanging around with the top players in the world even with his limited game. He's changed his game from 2003 when all he needed was the big serve. I atleast respect him for that, even if he doesnt have the natural gift that Fed and Nadal have. It just shows that he perhaps has had to work even harder than they have to stay where he is.

anointedone
07-14-2007, 11:04 AM
He is both cocky and a has been. That indeed makes him a cocky has been.

anointedone
07-14-2007, 11:05 AM

Last year he ended out of the top 5, and good chance he will again this year. Right now he is riding on some summer points which are likely about to evaporate when he tries to defend them this year.

JMS
07-14-2007, 11:06 AM
isnt roddick third???

not since Wimby

anointedone
07-14-2007, 11:08 AM
not since Wimby

Yeah Novak Djokovic has now moved into #3 on the rankings, bumping Roddick to #4. Roddick was actually #5 after the French Open, but moved up to #3 after Queens, now back down to #4. Davydenko, Djokovic, Roddick have been in a virtual tie in that 3-5 range, but Djokovic has way more points then both Davydenko and Roddick for just this year. Davydenko and Roddick are both defending alot of points from this point in, Djokovic is not.

Hot Sauce
07-14-2007, 11:40 AM
I have no complaints about Roddick.

tangerine
07-14-2007, 12:25 PM
I own a bar/restaurant at a tour stop. Roddick comes in often late night as he is playing the night match. first time there he played the finals on West Coast and had to take a long flight in. ate at 2:00 in the morning Sunday night/Monday morning. came in about 3 or 4 times that year. NEVER, went crazy. Ate his late night meal, relaxed with friends, and went about his business. We had a couple of people treat him like a celebrity but while everyone knew he was there, no one really bothered him and he was NOT a party animal. This has been going on for the last three years. I don't care what he does as I would sure take the opportunity but if anything he was the opposite of these rumors. I also know his trainer that traveled with him for about 3 years. no stories like this. I'm not saying he's a saint, but I know him or have heard of him as a typical American kid, good manners, friendly with everyone.
Great story, raspell. Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience. :smile:

tangerine
07-14-2007, 12:27 PM
For a "cocky has been" Roddick sure has a knack for getting trolls to expose their own insecurities about themselves. :lol:

Last year he ended out of the top 5
Poor has-been Andy Roddick finished the year at No. 6, his lowest YE rank, but still well within the top ten.

but occassionally his antics cross the line into bad taste. An example I'm thinking of was back at the Kooyong Classic when he was a real jerk to the ball boy, not allowing him to get a ball that was at Roddick's feet. The boy would run around Roddick, and he would block the kid from the other side. It struck me as just mean and humorless.
Er, you must have been the only one who wasn't laughing then because Roddick was clearly just teasing the ballboy and even the ballboy laughed.

Gee, the trolls over here aren't even half as bright as the ones over at MTF.

TheKingOfClay
07-14-2007, 12:32 PM
he's cool, but I think due to him being a party animal, and a little cocky, there are a ton of haters out there... as long as he is top 5 I say he's ok with me...

anointedone
07-14-2007, 12:33 PM
he's cool, but I think due to him being a party animal, and a little cocky, there are a ton of haters out there... as long as he is top 5 I say he's ok with me...

OK then he wont be OK with you after the U.S Open probably.

Thrasher
07-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Never did like that cocky *****. Still arrogant. But not half as bad as he was before. I think Connors has made him tone it down. As for his game, We've already seen what he can do with those ugly strokes. Hell be lucky to be a top ten player, but never will be in the same league with Federer and Nadal.

TheKingOfClay
07-14-2007, 02:25 PM
OK then he wont be OK with you after the U.S Open probably.

well ok top 10....:o

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-14-2007, 02:44 PM
He's still a good player, but occassionally his antics cross the line into bad taste. An example I'm thinking of was back at the Kooyong Classic when he was a real jerk to the ball boy, not allowing him to get a ball that was at Roddick's feet. The boy would run around Roddick, and he would block the kid from the other side. It struck me as just mean and humorless.

That is the worst I have seen Roddick behave. Most of the time I find his enthusiasm and gamesmanship enjoyable and exciting.

Brett
07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
I don't like him at all and I never have. He is so arrogant and cocky to me, and that is my biggest pet peeves in people.

I do have his autograph on a picture of him though, which makes me have to look at him everyday, lol.

Breaker
07-14-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't like him at all and I never have. He is so arrogant and cocky to me, and that is my biggest pet peeves in people.

I do have his autograph on a picture of him though, which makes me have to look at him everyday, lol.

Why did you get an autograph of him if you have always disliked him? That's on par with telling everyone you think a band is rubbish then going and buying their records.

Anyway, this thread doesn't make much sense because Roddick still is one of the best players on tour and will probably end up in the top 10 again for the 6th or 7th year in a row. Say what you want about the guy but he's not a has been, one loss to Gasquet in 5 sets in the quarters of a grass court event does not signal a decline. He will probably lose some points this summer just because he did so well last year and it will be hard to stack up to that again, but on hard courts and grass he is still a threat to 95% of players on tour.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
07-14-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't agree. I neither like or dislike Fed or Nadal, though I admire their different attributes with tennis capability and achievements, but throughout it all, and lacking some achievements others thought he should have done by a certain time, and I am sure he wanted himself, I actually like Roddick by what I've seen and read of him in media, and other places. He seems very human in all its aspects, but his humour comes off as cocky sometimes. Who of us who might be in the public spotlight might not say something totally ettiquette or proper all the time with the proper deference to this, that or thus person. Again I think people are too hard on Roddick, and confuse the media and agent hype of those trying to promote him hard sell and way too often, with the man himself.

superman1
07-14-2007, 05:57 PM
He just made the quarterfinals at Wimbledon. Was a few games away from getting to the semifinals without losing a set. That's a good result for anyone who isn't named Roger Federer. The most Roddick could have expected was the semifinals, so he fell a bit short, but it was 8-6 in the fifth so that's still commendable. He also made the semis at this year's Australian Open.

If he does horribly in the US hardcourt season, then you can start your cries of "has-been." I feel kind of sorry for Roddick, because he would have been a much greater player if he had played in any other era with faster surfaces. Shanghai is fairly fast and he was a point from beating Federer there.

Forehand Forever
07-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I think a way Andy could improve would be maybe lose a couple pounds or so. Alex Rodriguez lost 15 pounds before this season or something like that. Look at him now.

Rodditha
07-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Roddick is good how he is, personnally he is the reason why i watch tennis, he isn't boring as some other players,he is surely arrogant and sometimes cocky but his personnality and charisma is entertaining.Tennis would be boring without players like Roddick.

arosen
07-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Roddick is done winning. Linesmen helped him win US Open, but his luck has run out at Wimby, the only place where he has a shot anymore. Put a fork in him. He is done. Too bad, he can be really funny in his comments

anointedone
07-14-2007, 07:14 PM
I feel kind of sorry for Roddick, because he would have been a much greater player if he had played in any other era with faster surfaces. Shanghai is fairly fast and he was a point from beating Federer there.

He would not have been a better player in another era. If anything there is more competition in some other eras, and there would always be atleast 2 players much greater then him who would dominate him.

In mid-late 90s Sampras and Agassi would dominate him, beat him almost every single time, and keep him from winning more then perhaps 1 lucky slam title, just like today with Federer and Nadal. In the late 80s-early 90s Becker, Edberg, and Courier would have kept him a sometimes semifinalist/very occasional final round loser, max at the majors. In the early-mid 80s McEnroe, Connors, and Lendl would have relegated him to a regular 3rd-6th ranked Pam Shriver mens counterpart.

There is no era he wold have been a much better player then he is today. He simply isnt good enough to be anymore then a perennial 3rd-6th ranked player, or to win multiple slams. He doesnt have much game outside of a tremendous serve, and there are guys who have had better serves then him.

As for that match with Federer, congrats you found 1 match of his last 10 or something with Federer he managed to not get his *** handed him totally and actually make it a battle. Needed it to be in a round robin format, which is totally different then any other time he would have played him to.

anointedone
07-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Roddick is done winning. Linesmen helped him win US Open, but his luck has run out at Wimby, the only place where he has a shot anymore. Put a fork in him. He is done. Too bad, he can be really funny in his comments

You are right about the linesmen. Nalbandian was robbed of that U.S Open big time.

Klatu Verata Necktie
07-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Gee, the trolls over here aren't even half as bright as the ones over at MTF.

Isn't this a forum for expressing opinions? Anyone who dares to say anything negative, even in a respectful way, must be a troll? :rolleyes:

superman1
07-14-2007, 10:33 PM
There is such thing as a stupid opinion.

Saying the #4 player in the world is a has-been is a stupid opinion. Saying Einstein was only moderately intelligent is a stupid opinion. Etc.

babySuri
07-15-2007, 03:27 AM
A tennis 'has been' to me is someone who did great thing(s) in the past and now is unable to match those accomplishments.

A 'cocky' tennis player to me is someone who can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Roddick IS a cocky, has-been. There is no way he is going to win another slam, and his arrogance is appaling.

Vision84
07-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Good for him but I hope he realizes that this could be one of the things holding him back from reaching the top. Players shouldn't expect to be at the top with a heavy partying attitude.

Rodditha
07-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Safin's case is worst.
Roddick is only 24, he is rich,he is a celebrity, if i was him i would have got Paris Hilton,Scarlett Johansson,Nicole Vaidisova,Kirilenko,Beyonce,Eva Guerra,Eva Mendes,Mariah Carey,Rihanna and i would have never ****ed Maria Sharapova.(too ugly).

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
07-16-2007, 07:59 AM
Good for him but I hope he realizes that this could be one of the things holding him back from reaching the top. Players shouldn't expect to be at the top with a heavy partying attitude.

what an excuse, roddick is nothing compared to fed and nadal, he can train like balboa and he still wouldnt have the skill.

sharp325i
07-16-2007, 08:01 AM
dude if i was roddick i would hit up as many chicks as i can before people realize i was a one slam wonder

robin7
07-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Yeah, U r right!

tennis-n-sc
07-16-2007, 09:53 AM
I've been around two Davis Cup matches and I can tell you that Andy rules the fans. They love him. He about brought the house down in Winston Salem. By all accounts that I have read, talked with people that stayed in the same hotel he did, his chartiy work, sense of humor, etc., he is well head of his age group in maturity. I mean, really, compare him to the average 24 y/o on this board that still lives at home and is wondering what to do with life. Roddick seems like an old man in comparison. One of my faves along with Blake, Fed and Rafa.