Hey all you customizing gurus...

A racquet has the following specs...

Head Size:
98 sq. in. / 632 sq. cm.
Length: 27 inches / 69 cm
Strung Weight: 9.8oz / 278g
Balance: 9 pts Head Heavy
Swingweight: 323

Light racquet that is head heavy. Want to add 2.2 oz to handle to increase weight for greater shock absorption. What will this do to balance and swingweight? How can this be calculated?

TIA!

rich s
10-11-2004, 03:51 AM
I estimate that if you add the 62g at a pt 10 cm above the bottom of the frame you will see 5 cm (~1.96", ~15.7pt) shift in the balance point toward the handle resulting in the frame being 6.7pts headlight.

The swingweight should only go up minutely (if at all) if you add the weight 10 cm above the end of the frame. I say minutely because it is not possible to add all the weight at exactly the same point so there will be a very very small increase.

rich

GAINES-
do you still have the "calculators" I sent you?"

Jerry Seinfeld
10-11-2004, 04:20 AM
Thank you Rich! Much appreciated.

Gaines Hillix
10-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Jerry, if you add it just inside the butt cap, the swing weight will increase following this formula;

sw increase = M x D^2/1000 where M is the weight in grams added and D is the distance in CMs from the 10CM point in the handle. Even though D is a negative number in this case(-10), squaring it produces a positive result. So, the swingweight would increase by 6.2 g/cm^2, still not a big increase. The balance point would also move closer to the butt end of the racquet and it would be more head light. Rich, yea, I still have the calculators somewhere....can you email them to me again, plz @ ghillix@comcast.net . TIA!

Jerry Seinfeld
10-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Thank you Gaines!!! Helpful as always.