PDA

View Full Version : Torn labrum in right shoulder(and fitness questions ANO, please read)

tennisguy11
07-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Guys, I just found out that I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder. The doc said that I will need arthroscopic surgery to repair the tear. He said that I will most likely be in a sling for 6 weeks and then the rehab will start. He said that it could be up to a year until I begin to start serving again. I am completely devastated by the news, but i realize worst things could have happened. I wanted to get any advice from people who have undergone this surgery. the doc said I will be given a never blocker? and oral medication for the pain. I also wanted to know if it would be ok to smoke pot to ease the pain?

On to the fitness questions: I will not be be allowed to do any cardio until the sling is removed. I want to make sure I do not gain weight during my time off, and want to lose weight. Since I will not be able to run or do any resistance training even on my lower body until I get word from the doctor, I need advice on how much I should be eating in order to lose weight. I am 6 feet 195 pounds.

Chauvalito
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Tennis guy,

Could you give us some information surrounding what led up to the injury. Type of pain, and when it happened etc. Thanks

I have never had surgery on my shoulder, but i coccasionall feel some discomfort, and it has me worried

chess9
07-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Let's see would you smoke a joint first, then go for your cardio, or do cardio first, then the joint? Hmm....now that's a tough call.

-Robert

tennisguy11
07-13-2007, 05:40 PM
chess9 maybe you should read my port you dumbass. It would be to ease the pain, which I heard is excruciating.

Andres
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I had a huge hole in my serving arm labrum. In the anterior part of the joint, there was literally a hole. No labrum left.

I had an open sky surgery, and I was playing tennis lightly after 4 months (no serving). Started serving after 6 months, and I was serving at full capacity after 8 months.

I also had a broken ligament, and a broken tendom, the capsule was tore, and I had 17 compression fractures in the humerus' head. It was a tough surgery, and I needed a 14 oz titanium implant.

And I still had a 8 months rehab TOTAL. I started playing tennis after 4 months, and serving after 6. After 8, I was perfectly healed.

And DO NOT smoke pot... are you kidding me? Try ibuprofen for the pain and diclofenac for the swelling.

Email me if you have any question about the procedure. I had it twice, one on each shoulder. 8 months each :?

rocky b
07-14-2007, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=tennisguy11;1589152]Guys, I just found out that I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder. The doc said that I will need arthroscopic surgery to repair the tear. He said that I will most likely be in a sling for 6 weeks and then the rehab will start. He said that it could be up to a year until I begin to start serving again. I am completely devastated by the news, but i realize worst things could have happened. I wanted to get any advice from people who have undergone this surgery. the doc said I will be given a never blocker? and oral medication for the pain. I also wanted to know if it would be ok to smoke pot to ease the pain?

On to the fitness questions: I will not be be allowed to do any cardio until the sling is removed. I want to make sure I do not gain weight during my time off, and want to lose weight. Since I will not be able to run or do any resistance training even on my lower body until I get word from the doctor, I need advice on how much I should be eating in order to lose weight. I am 6 feet 195 pounds.[/QUOT

Did you have alot of pain in your shoulder was it weak or did it hurt to much to play tennis

tennisguy11
07-14-2007, 07:21 AM
My shoulder is constantly cracking which is an indicator for a tear. Whnever I move it it cracks. It hurts on forehands, serves, and anythign where the right shoulder is used.

tennis-n-sc
07-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Yep, been there, done that, and everything the doc tells you is true. I'm about 18 months post op and just now getting back to about where I was pre-surgery. It ain't easy but I felt as if I had no choice. I had a complete rupture along with a bicep tear. If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me an e-mail.

lakis92
07-15-2007, 03:27 AM
I think that since you are 6 feet, your metabolism is around 2000 calories. If I were you, I would try to limit my carbs intake until I am back fully recovered. Eat more protein and vegetables. Eat about 50-60 grams of carbohydrates every day and 55-70 of protein. You can buy a bike to ride. That's gonna help. If you sit in a chair all day long, just eat some fruit or a salad for lunch. That's gonna make u maintain your weight at least since u don't move. Hope I help.

dave333
07-15-2007, 03:53 AM
Don't smoke pot, if normal stuff ain't cutting it, ask for a prescription to tylonel w/ codeine or oxycodone or something.

Ano
07-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Guys, I just found out that I have a torn labrum in my right shoulder. The doc said that I will need arthroscopic surgery to repair the tear. He said that I will most likely be in a sling for 6 weeks and then the rehab will start. He said that it could be up to a year until I begin to start serving again. I am completely devastated by the news, but i realize worst things could have happened. I wanted to get any advice from people who have undergone this surgery. the doc said I will be given a never blocker? and oral medication for the pain. I also wanted to know if it would be ok to smoke pot to ease the pain?

On to the fitness questions: I will not be be allowed to do any cardio until the sling is removed. I want to make sure I do not gain weight during my time off, and want to lose weight. Since I will not be able to run or do any resistance training even on my lower body until I get word from the doctor, I need advice on how much I should be eating in order to lose weight. I am 6 feet 195 pounds.

Your doctor do not allow you to do cardio on stationary bike?

Use this formula to estimate your caloric needs.

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

Note:
1 inch = 2.54 cm.
1 kilogram = 2.2 lbs.

Example: You are male
You are 30 yrs old ( i'm only guessing)
You are 6' tall (183 cm)
You weigh 195 lbs. (88 kilos)
Your BMR = 66 + 1205 + 915 - 204 = 1982 calories/day

Now that you know your BMR, you can calculate TDEE by multiplying your BMR by your activity multiplier from the chart below:

Activity Multiplier

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)

Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)

Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)

Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)

Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)
Example:

Your BMR is 1982 calories per day
Your activity level is sedentary (little or no exercise)
Your activity factor is 1.2

Your TDEE = 1.2 X 1982 = 2378 calories/day

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = Calories to maintain weight.

I suggest you to use the Paleo diet, which is : eat lean meats (skinless turkey or chicken breast, lean red meat, fish) , fresh fruits and vegetables.

Good luck and get well soon!

chess9
07-15-2007, 05:48 PM
chess9 maybe you should read my port you dumbass. It would be to ease the pain, which I heard is excruciating.

What Andres said. :)

Sorry, man, I was not trying to be a smart ***, or a dumbass, but I do have three kids, so if I sounded like an overprotective father, well, sue me. :)

-Robert

tennisguy11
07-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey Ano thanks for responding. I know you are a very busy guy, but if you have time would you mind shooting me an email at js71129@gmail.com? I have a few additional questions for you.

Thank you kindly

Ano
07-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Your TDEE = 1.2 X 1982 = 2378 calories/day

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure = Calories to maintain weight.

If you want to lose weight, consume about 15 % less calories than your TDEE, in your case consume about 2000 calories/day

Hey Ano thanks for responding. I know you are a very busy guy, but if you have time would you mind shooting me an email at js71129@gmail.com? I have a few additional questions for you.

Thank you kindly

Check your email.